Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT Awards

Options
  • 09-02-2018 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭

I just seen on the BBC news website that there is such a thing as the LGBT adwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-42990791

As a G I find the concept of such an event extremely patronizing and condescending.

I get it's probably dreamt up my those irritating luvvie types for luvvies types and that most LGBT's couldn't care less about it.

But the irony of fighting for equality on the basis that we are the same as everyone else and then when you get that equality to then hold an event which completely contradicts that valid argument is just plain daft to me.

So ya, screw the LGBT awards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Personally I think it's a load of bullsh1t myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

AllForIt wrote: »
    I just seen on the BBC news website that there is such a thing as the LGBT adwards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-42990791

As a G I find the concept of such an event extremely patronizing and condescending.

I get it's probably dreamt up my those irritating luvvie types for luvvies types and that most LGBT's couldn't care less about it.

But the irony of fighting for equality on the basis that we are the same as everyone else and then when you get that equality to then hold an event which completely contradicts that valid argument is just plain daft to me.

So ya, screw the LGBT awards.

I think it’s the LGBT community wanting to give a nod to people both gay and straight who have gone above and beyond to support a heretofore marginalized discriminated against minority group.
    That’s all.
    Nothing condescending or patronizing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I'd say the organisers make a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I'd say the organisers make a fortune.

Nail on the head....

Its a shake down...

All Industry awards nights are just shake downs....fueled by vanity more often than not...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I see LBGT history month is starting to become a thing. I swear, I actually think there are some people who prefer to be marginalized and are not happy unless they are being shunned by society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Everything is a power struggle - choose a side

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Housewife of the year was patronising. Dunno about these cos I can't be bothered to read the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm starting the Male Heterosexual awards, not sure if it's gonna go down too well though, we are like snow leopards these days !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

kneemos wrote: »
    Housewife of the year was patronising. Dunno about these cos I can't be bothered to read the link.

Lovely girls competition anyone :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

vicwatson wrote: »
    I'm starting the Male Heterosexual awards, not sure if it's gonna go down too well though, we are like snow leopards these days !!

I'm with you. "Straight white bloke day" has a certain ring to it.

We can run it in tandem with "steak and blow day"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Lovely girls competition anyone :eek:

We have that covered. The AVN awards.

There needs to be a White Male Heterosexual award subsection within that though, the most reviled species on the planet at the moment.
    Worser then Hitler and Stalin rolled into one they do be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Speaking as a white hetero male, I wish certain other white hetero males would shut the fnck up whinging about their victimhood fantasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

We have something similar over here every October that recognise people and organisations that make a difference for the LGBT community, don't see an issue with them myself.

https://www.galas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

splinter65 wrote: »
    There needs to be a White Male Heterosexual award subsection within that though, the most reviled species on the planet at the moment.
    Worser then Hitler and Stalin rolled into one they do be!

And they were both white and male!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

pauliebdub wrote: »
    We have something similar over here every October that recognise people and organisations that make a difference for the LGBT community, don't see an issue with them myself.

https://www.galas.ie

Yep, such activists depending on the country face varying degrees of threats and intimidation for their work. Seems fair to acknowledge people doing good work. Whatever area, I don't really find an issue with it. The article draws attention to the celebrity awards but other awards include "Charity or Community Initiative", "Employer or Company", "Outstanding Contribution to LGBT+ Life"(Activists basically) plus other awards for LGBT people who have gained substantial recognition in their field.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-lgbt-awards-shorlist-celebrity-nominees-gay-trans-rights-straight-allies-a8199831.html

Doesn't affect any of us, we don't even have to pay attention to it but I'm fine with recognising people. Bit weird to have it bothering you in slightest... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You mean the "not a member of a minority group that had to fight for equal human rights" day? Just pick any day in the calender year - apart from March 17th - should work.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And they were both white and male!

and heterosexual ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Speaking as a white hetero male, I wish certain other white hetero males would shut the fnck up whinging about their victimhood fantasies.

Stop oppressing us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

And we can all give each other blow jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

"Straight ally of the year". There's an award to be proud of. The trophy would look great on the shelf beside your Oscar or Grammy. How do you go about winning one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Why does it bother you so much? Why not just let people have things instead of griping about an attempt at spreading positivity and recognising people who support and campaign for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Maybe it's a generational thing. If you're young you've probably grown up with homosexuality being normal and acceptable even celebrated. Awards like this seem pointless. I grew up in the 80's when it was a different time, a gay man beaten to death in Dublin just for being gay and his killers walking free, young men dying alone of Aids because they had been disowned by their family, rampant homophobia......a lot of people took huge risks personally and professionally being open about their sexuality or being allies to the movement. I don't think there is anything wrong with some acknowledgement of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Identity politics. Not individuals, just letters and members of 'communities'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Just giving some context about how meaningless everything we do is.

earthinmilkyway.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

My queer sister and her partner don't like the T. They don't like being tagged with them, completely different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My queer sister and her partner don't like the T. They don't like been tagged with them, completely different things.

I thought G & T go well together?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

My queer sister and her partner don't like the T. They don't like being tagged with them, completely different things.

Yes they're different but the groups were traditionally allied with one another and presumably the term was coined by a group of mix of lgb and t people

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I thought G & T go well together?
    Wouldn't mind one at the moment. It's been a tough day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Grand job, they must be representative of all so. Certain groups wish to exclude trans people. I view it as discrimination.

Advertisement