Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea of Thieves

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is there big co op missions like hunting krakens and whales? That sounds like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is there big co op missions like hunting krakens and whales? That sounds like fun.

Yes, Moby Dick and The Kraken are confirmed as is a Harpoon Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

I didn't play the beta, but wasn't it intentionally less content even compared to the alpha?

I really enjoyed what I played of the early alphas, and was happy to leave it at that. I'll be playing via Gamepass when it launches (love that decision by MS) and quite looking forward to it now.

There does seem to be a considerable bit of hype built, hope the full game content lives up to it.

maximoose wrote: »
    I didn't play the beta, but wasn't it intentionally less content even compared to the alpha?

I really enjoyed what I played of the early alphas, and was happy to leave it at that. I'll be playing via Gamepass when it launches (love that decision by MS) and quite looking forward to it now.

There does seem to be a considerable bit of hype built, hope the full game content lives up to it.

Yes, essentially the press that were playing during the closed beta had access to the ENTIRE game, no limitations. Only us mere mortals were limited to what we could do in the closed beta.

The embargo on the press lifts on the 13th February and then we will get a shed load of reviews and updates. But from what has leaked so far, NO press player has had a bad thing to say about the full game. They are all raving about it. Things are looking up for the game.

I can't wait for launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

ZiabR wrote: »
    Upgrading and customising my ship
    in all the games I've played I don't know who owned the ships. I'd guess customising it won't be an option? Unless single player, maybe.

• Advertisement

erkifino wrote: »
    in all the games I've played I don't know who owns the ship. I'd guess customising it won't be an option?

It is confirmed that you can fully customise your ship, from the cannons it has on it to the sails to the anchor and you can even stick a big mermaid or sea creature onto the bow. Below is a confirmed list.

Cannons - I could fiddle around with different kinds of cannons all day.
    Capstan - This is the part of the ship you use to haul up and drop the anchor.
    Livery - This likely refers to the icon that appears on your mast and other parts of your ship.
    Mast - The most visible part of your ship from a distance, so make it look good!
    Wheel - The consummate symbol of a pirate's life deserves special attention.
    Figureheads - This is the sculpture that goes on the front of your ship. A few of the options include a parrot, a unicorn, and something called "jdark" - almost certainly referring to Joanna Dark, main character of Rare's Perfect Dark games.
    Harpoon Gun - HELL YES.

Oh and along with Sharks, there are also Mermaids who will try to drown you. Moby Dick and The Kraken. They have confirmed more sea creatures will be added in time.

And as for weapons, there is also a Boarding Axe, a Heavy Sword, a Rapier and finally a proper pistol, not a flint pistol, a proper pistol.

Interesting.

Being a pessimist, are people going to keep quitting when they don't get to use their ship?

Interesting.

Being a pessimist, are people going to keep quitting when they don't get to use their ship?

No, the ships in the beta were randomly generated.

The ones in the final release wont be random. You will have a customise menu BEFORE you load into the game where you can setup the ship so you are always using YOUR ship.

It would make no sense and would be pointless to have random ships in the final release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The ones in the final release wont be random. You will have a customise menu BEFORE you load into the game where you can setup the ship so you are always using YOUR ship.

It would make no sense and would be pointless to have random ships in the final release.

I think he meant whos ship is used in game ? Will people quit because the game selected someone elses ship. I imagine they will. but hopefully most wont care.

I hope, if in a 4 man crew, when we get a new ship, its made up of parts of everyones ship.

As sails, Bs mast, Cs hull, Ds wheel etc.

That or else select a random one of the 4.

I'm not saying random ships. There are 4 people per boat. 3 people won't get their customised ship.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying random ships. There are 4 people per boat. 3 people won't get their customised ship.

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They'd could have a vote on the boat beforehand, or something like that.

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment.

No worries. I can be incoherent at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Maybe there will be some sort of hierarchy system where if you dont want to captain a ship, you can offer your service to a captain and be part of the crew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Not likely to happen, but could the game just render Person A's ship customisations on their console, Person B's customisations on their console, etc.? That way they all feel that they have their ship...

Reddit has been busy datamining the update to the beta

New animations, skins, chests, cosmetics, npcs, locations etc. oh and Kraken confirmed :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I presume there'll be an open beta relatively soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Sea of thieves Closed beta updated yesterday on my console. That might be a sign of an open beta to come.

Sea of thieves Closed beta updated yesterday on my console. That might be a sign of an open beta to come.

It would surely be only for a weekend, we are so close to the actual launch and I thought the game ran very well in the closed beta.

Check out this ****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_l-uk-pzCE

This game is going to be MUCH bigger than we think. I cannot wait. There will be so much to discover off the beaten track.

• Advertisement

Check out this ****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_l-uk-pzCE

This game is going to be MUCH bigger than we think. I cannot wait. There will be so much to discover off the beaten track.

The key point though is what does it all matter? We can see the world has a lot of potential and it's going to grow and grow with content over the years as a gaming service. But what are the dynamics that will drive people to play the game and explore the world? We've yet to see this if it even exists at all.

The key point though is what does it all matter? We can see the world has a lot of potential and it's going to grow and grow with content over the years as a gaming service. But what are the dynamics that will drive people to play the game and explore the world? We've yet to see this if it even exists at all.

Did you play the Closed Beta? There is plenty to do and we already know a good bit about what else we can expect.

I was just pointing out that it is a really nice feature to add things into the game that no one knows are there. It gives reason to actually explore the sea outside of normal quests.

Did you play the Closed Beta? There is plenty to do and we already know a good bit about what else we can expect.

I was just pointing out that it is a really nice feature to add things into the game that no one knows are there. It gives reason to actually explore the sea outside of normal quests.

I wasn't having a go :confused: It's great that you enjoy it, I would never criticize anyone for enjoying a game regardless of my opinion on it. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to discuss the more intricate details of the game....on a games discussion board no less. Yes I agree we know there is more to come, can we not discuss what that might be (and what we hope to see) without getting offended?

I wasn't having a go :confused: It's great that you enjoy it, I would never criticize anyone for enjoying a game regardless of my opinion on it. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to discuss the more intricate details of the game....on a games discussion board no less. Yes I agree we know there is more to come, can we not discuss what that might be (and what we hope to see) without getting offended?

Apologies if you thought I was offended or being defensive. I was just inquiring if you had played the Beta yourself, if so, I was interested in hearing what you thought if the ins and outs of the mechanics IF you had played it.

I do believe this game is designed to be played in teams. I can see it becoming slightly boring if you were in a solo ship all the time. Teams is where the fun is and where this game excels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think you are over thinking a fun game. This isn't Destiny. We are pirates. Steal other players stuff and sink their ships :D

I think you are over thinking a fun game. This isn't Destiny. We are pirates. Steal other players stuff and sink their ships :D

Simplicity. :D

I didn't explore any island apart from following the map or riddles. I did wonder how they'd justify the price tag though. The fact it'll be in game pass that doesn't matter now.

More datamining of the latest update to the beta has shown up references to "OPEN BETA ORDER OF SOULS QUESTS" so looks like it is indeed coming

details here

maximoose wrote: »
    More datamining of the latest update to the beta has shown up references to "OPEN BETA ORDER OF SOULS QUESTS" so looks like it is indeed coming

details here

Thanks Maxi, great news. Will be diving back in here for the open beta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

From the Alpha and Beta, the core gameplay and the craic is there to be had. All the rest of these details are fleshing it out nicely.

(Even Windows Central's PC specs are useful to know - played the Beta at 540p on my Surface Pro 4 - it's a bit smooshed and doesn't have all the fancy lighting but was a great way to play along with the nipper on a two man boat).

One thing that I can see coming down the road is the Daily Mirror headlines about a spate of pet cats and monkeys being fired from cannons, because "Xbox encouraged this sort of filth"

Advertisement