Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sea of Thieves

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

erkifino wrote: »
    Playing randomers is pretty crap. A lot of people quitting. Also got locked in the brig for no reason. After 5 mins I had to quit. What's the point of the brig? To get trolled by your own crew.

Seems so, I had hoped you could use it for enemies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Seems so, I had hoped you could use it for enemies.

I can see the point of it when it comes to the cowboys who take the ship for a spin while the rest of the crew are on an island. Still though it may as well because vote to kick someone.

There doesn't seem to be much to the game. Is there any progression (ship, equipment or weapon upgrades)? What is going to keep people coming back once the novelty has worn off?

I suspect this will be an attempt of a game as a service that Spencer has talked about. No beginning, middle or end to the game. A world that can be constantly improved and evolved ala minecraft. And no doubt...the dreaded micro transactions as revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

There doesn't seem to be much to the game. Is there any progression (ship, equipment or weapon upgrades)? What is going to keep people coming back once the novelty has worn off?

I suspect this will be an attempt of a game as a service that Spencer has talked about. No beginning, middle or end to the game. A world that can be constantly improved and evolved ala minecraft. And no doubt...the dreaded micro transactions as revenue.

That's a concern that many have had who have been playing for a while. The currently announced progression system is with the three factions - gold hoarders, traders and the whatchamacallits who want occult stuff. Complete quests for them, warm money, rotation titles and gear.

I believe that there don't be weapon upgrades available so everyone is on a more or less even ground on battle (although the sniper rifle was new with the beta).

For depth, there seem to be a lot of empty buildings on the outposts - if I were a betting man, I'd suspect that we may see more NPCs in there.

As for microtransactions, they may well appear, but wif they do they are likely to follow the Team Fortress 2 model: Hats, etc. You can buy It if you want but it won't give you an advantage.

The biggest concern will be how they will handle griefing - hanging out at a village to nick gold about to be handed in, putting your crew into the brig 'for the craic' and so on.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The game does feel quite empty at times (in the beta at least) but it is a lot of fun when you run into other ships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Finally managed to get into a game solo last night.
    So have things changed cause I didnt have any of the gold I had built up from the previous games and I didnt start with a map either so had no idea what to do in terms of finding treasure.
    I ended up sailing around and shooing at other players

Finally managed to get into a game solo last night.
    So have things changed cause I didnt have any of the gold I had built up from the previous games and I didnt start with a map either so had no idea what to do in terms of finding treasure.
    I ended up sailing around and shooing at other players

Theres an npc in a tent where you spawn that you can buy treasure maps off, theres a free one to get you started.

Yeah, the goldie lookin guy at the outpost has the free map.

The game/levels were reset but we're all hoping as it's the beta it's about ironing out the mechanics. It has to be fleshed out as it's not, currently, worth it's full price.

Don't forget to get your map, get to the ship, select a voyage then vote for a voyage. Ringing that bell and shooting the voyage table trying to get people's attention so we can cast off an adventure is annoying... Partly my own mic-less self's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The biggest concern will be how they will handle griefing - hanging out at a village to nick gold about to be handed in

This is how they'll hopefully handle it:

You spend ages on a voyage and visit many places digging up treasure, you sail straight up to an outpost and jump onto it with your shiny new chest to get that delicious loot. You get gunned down and a ****ing PIRATE STEALS YOUR GOLD.

And they (the devs) change nothing and do nothing to help you, Tough ****. This is a game about pirates.

No safe zones. No guaranteed rewards.
    putting your crew into the brig 'for the craic' and so on.

this is an issue though, when a group of 3 dont want a 4th theres nothing you can do but quit since theyll leave you in there.

I played a bit of the Alpha and checked this out last night, doesn't seem to have been a whole lot changed or added. Definitely feels very shallow, once the novelty wore off I was left asking myself whats the point :confused:

If it released like this I wouldn't be prepared to stick around and wait while they update it etc. every few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

On Xbox there is a Field of View slider in the video settings lads, up it to the max.

A tip for selling your gold chests. Sail around the island first to make sure there is no ship docked there and be suspicious if one seems close by.

Trying to work out the paces?
    Select your compass and hold the right trigger down and move forward. Each vibration is a pace.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Korvanica wrote: »
    This is how they'll hopefully handle it:

You spend ages on a voyage and visit many places digging up treasure, you sail straight up to an outpost and jump onto it with your shiny new chest to get that delicious loot. You get gunned down and a ****ing PIRATE STEALS YOUR GOLD.

And they (the devs) change nothing and do nothing to help you, Tough ****. This is a game about pirates.

No safe zones. No guaranteed rewards.

this is an issue though, when a group of 3 dont want a 4th theres nothing you can do but quit since theyll leave you in there.

Yea but it means the most effective way to get loot is to just never bother going on a ship and just camp on outposts.

Spent about 15 mins trying to find a game last night. Finally got into one. Invited to group chat and told I had two options. 1.Quit or 2. Get sent to the brig. If I wasn't waiting so long I probably would've quit. Sat in the brig playing shanties for maybe 10 minutes. They did sell their chests in that time so at least I got paid...

awec wrote: »
    Yea but it means the most effective way to get loot is to just never bother going on a ship and just camp on outposts.
    solos are screwed, in that case, but a 4-man crew could bring in the gold like the Securicor van going to the bank with an armed guard.

Don't dock too close to land. Bring a crap chest first. If there is a trap you'll know when you go to sell it. If you die you spawn on your ship. If no one is there when you sell the first chest go back and bring the ship a bit closer and start offloading the most expensive chests first.

Had fun taking a ship earlier that was pursing us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

He's definitely not an impartial source, but Jez Corden is at Rare right now for a press event to show off the full game, and tweeted:
    Any concerns I had about Sea of Thieves are gone. This will be 2018's PUBG.

Bit optimistic probably, but reassuring after the moaning from the beta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I for one cannot wait for this game to release. It is serious fun.

Think it will be a day one purchase for me.

I just bought 7 months Game Pass. I am already ready for the launch!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭gmg678

I have played since the Alpha and I know there is more things to be added but I found the beta incredibly boring. Even playing with friends who were playing it for the first time. I will pick up game pass and get it that way. I just hope that there long term game plan works out.

• Advertisement

gmg678 wrote: »
    I have played since the Alpha and I know there is more things to be added but I found the beta incredibly boring. Even playing with friends who were playing it for the first time. I will pick up game pass and get it that way. I just hope that there long term game plan works out.

There is so much more to come from this game. It is going to be a massive success I think.

Installing a Harpoon gun onto my ship so I can hunt Moby Dick and The Kraken with other ships in global events. Upgrading and customising my ship and character so I stand out from the rest. Working with the Gold Hoarders Trading Company, The Merchants Alliance and The Order of Souls.

The game is a hell of alot of fun with a party of friends.

Not to mention the graphics. HDR on this game is breathtaking, the sea, sky and weather is just unreal. Easily the best I have seen in any game I have played to date.

Is there big co op missions like hunting krakens and whales? That sounds like fun.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is there big co op missions like hunting krakens and whales? That sounds like fun.

Yes, Moby Dick and The Kraken are confirmed as is a Harpoon Gun.

I didn't play the beta, but wasn't it intentionally less content even compared to the alpha?

I really enjoyed what I played of the early alphas, and was happy to leave it at that. I'll be playing via Gamepass when it launches (love that decision by MS) and quite looking forward to it now.

There does seem to be a considerable bit of hype built, hope the full game content lives up to it.

maximoose wrote: »
    I didn't play the beta, but wasn't it intentionally less content even compared to the alpha?

I really enjoyed what I played of the early alphas, and was happy to leave it at that. I'll be playing via Gamepass when it launches (love that decision by MS) and quite looking forward to it now.

There does seem to be a considerable bit of hype built, hope the full game content lives up to it.

Yes, essentially the press that were playing during the closed beta had access to the ENTIRE game, no limitations. Only us mere mortals were limited to what we could do in the closed beta.

The embargo on the press lifts on the 13th February and then we will get a shed load of reviews and updates. But from what has leaked so far, NO press player has had a bad thing to say about the full game. They are all raving about it. Things are looking up for the game.

I can't wait for launch.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Upgrading and customising my ship
    in all the games I've played I don't know who owned the ships. I'd guess customising it won't be an option? Unless single player, maybe.

• Advertisement

in all the games I've played I don't know who owns the ship. I'd guess customising it won't be an option?

It is confirmed that you can fully customise your ship, from the cannons it has on it to the sails to the anchor and you can even stick a big mermaid or sea creature onto the bow. Below is a confirmed list.

Cannons - I could fiddle around with different kinds of cannons all day.
    Capstan - This is the part of the ship you use to haul up and drop the anchor.
    Livery - This likely refers to the icon that appears on your mast and other parts of your ship.
    Mast - The most visible part of your ship from a distance, so make it look good!
    Wheel - The consummate symbol of a pirate's life deserves special attention.
    Figureheads - This is the sculpture that goes on the front of your ship. A few of the options include a parrot, a unicorn, and something called "jdark" - almost certainly referring to Joanna Dark, main character of Rare's Perfect Dark games.
    Harpoon Gun - HELL YES.

Oh and along with Sharks, there are also Mermaids who will try to drown you. Moby Dick and The Kraken. They have confirmed more sea creatures will be added in time.

And as for weapons, there is also a Boarding Axe, a Heavy Sword, a Rapier and finally a proper pistol, not a flint pistol, a proper pistol.

Interesting.

Being a pessimist, are people going to keep quitting when they don't get to use their ship?

Interesting.

Being a pessimist, are people going to keep quitting when they don't get to use their ship?

No, the ships in the beta were randomly generated.

The ones in the final release wont be random. You will have a customise menu BEFORE you load into the game where you can setup the ship so you are always using YOUR ship.

It would make no sense and would be pointless to have random ships in the final release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The ones in the final release wont be random. You will have a customise menu BEFORE you load into the game where you can setup the ship so you are always using YOUR ship.

It would make no sense and would be pointless to have random ships in the final release.

I think he meant whos ship is used in game ? Will people quit because the game selected someone elses ship. I imagine they will. but hopefully most wont care.

I hope, if in a 4 man crew, when we get a new ship, its made up of parts of everyones ship.

As sails, Bs mast, Cs hull, Ds wheel etc.

That or else select a random one of the 4.

I'm not saying random ships. There are 4 people per boat. 3 people won't get their customised ship.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying random ships. There are 4 people per boat. 3 people won't get their customised ship.

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They'd could have a vote on the boat beforehand, or something like that.

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment.

No worries. I can be incoherent at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Maybe there will be some sort of hierarchy system where if you dont want to captain a ship, you can offer your service to a captain and be part of the crew

Not likely to happen, but could the game just render Person A's ship customisations on their console, Person B's customisations on their console, etc.? That way they all feel that they have their ship...

Reddit has been busy datamining the update to the beta

New animations, skins, chests, cosmetics, npcs, locations etc. oh and Kraken confirmed :pac:

I presume there'll be an open beta relatively soon?

Sea of thieves Closed beta updated yesterday on my console. That might be a sign of an open beta to come.

Sea of thieves Closed beta updated yesterday on my console. That might be a sign of an open beta to come.

It would surely be only for a weekend, we are so close to the actual launch and I thought the game ran very well in the closed beta.

Check out this ****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_l-uk-pzCE

This game is going to be MUCH bigger than we think. I cannot wait. There will be so much to discover off the beaten track.

• Advertisement

Check out this ****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_l-uk-pzCE

This game is going to be MUCH bigger than we think. I cannot wait. There will be so much to discover off the beaten track.

The key point though is what does it all matter? We can see the world has a lot of potential and it's going to grow and grow with content over the years as a gaming service. But what are the dynamics that will drive people to play the game and explore the world? We've yet to see this if it even exists at all.

The key point though is what does it all matter? We can see the world has a lot of potential and it's going to grow and grow with content over the years as a gaming service. But what are the dynamics that will drive people to play the game and explore the world? We've yet to see this if it even exists at all.

Did you play the Closed Beta? There is plenty to do and we already know a good bit about what else we can expect.

I was just pointing out that it is a really nice feature to add things into the game that no one knows are there. It gives reason to actually explore the sea outside of normal quests.

Did you play the Closed Beta? There is plenty to do and we already know a good bit about what else we can expect.

I was just pointing out that it is a really nice feature to add things into the game that no one knows are there. It gives reason to actually explore the sea outside of normal quests.

I wasn't having a go :confused: It's great that you enjoy it, I would never criticize anyone for enjoying a game regardless of my opinion on it. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to discuss the more intricate details of the game....on a games discussion board no less. Yes I agree we know there is more to come, can we not discuss what that might be (and what we hope to see) without getting offended?

I wasn't having a go :confused: It's great that you enjoy it, I would never criticize anyone for enjoying a game regardless of my opinion on it. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to discuss the more intricate details of the game....on a games discussion board no less. Yes I agree we know there is more to come, can we not discuss what that might be (and what we hope to see) without getting offended?

Apologies if you thought I was offended or being defensive. I was just inquiring if you had played the Beta yourself, if so, I was interested in hearing what you thought if the ins and outs of the mechanics IF you had played it.

I do believe this game is designed to be played in teams. I can see it becoming slightly boring if you were in a solo ship all the time. Teams is where the fun is and where this game excels.

I think you are over thinking a fun game. This isn't Destiny. We are pirates. Steal other players stuff and sink their ships :D

I think you are over thinking a fun game. This isn't Destiny. We are pirates. Steal other players stuff and sink their ships :D

Simplicity. :D

I didn't explore any island apart from following the map or riddles. I did wonder how they'd justify the price tag though. The fact it'll be in game pass that doesn't matter now.

More datamining of the latest update to the beta has shown up references to "OPEN BETA ORDER OF SOULS QUESTS" so looks like it is indeed coming

details here

maximoose wrote: »
    More datamining of the latest update to the beta has shown up references to "OPEN BETA ORDER OF SOULS QUESTS" so looks like it is indeed coming

details here

Thanks Maxi, great news. Will be diving back in here for the open beta.

• Advertisement

From the Alpha and Beta, the core gameplay and the craic is there to be had. All the rest of these details are fleshing it out nicely.

(Even Windows Central's PC specs are useful to know - played the Beta at 540p on my Surface Pro 4 - it's a bit smooshed and doesn't have all the fancy lighting but was a great way to play along with the nipper on a two man boat).

One thing that I can see coming down the road is the Daily Mirror headlines about a spate of pet cats and monkeys being fired from cannons, because "Xbox encouraged this sort of filth"

Advertisement