Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Snow & Ice Possible Thursday 8th / Friday 9th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Is It :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

440496.png

GFS is great at showing Atlantic snow which unfortunate doesn't materialise for most of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

pad199207 wrote: »
    Is the GFS looking a bit drab on the 12z?

Stop with the netweather reading
    Practice what you preach :D

Cross model agreement is lacking beyond Thursday is all
    Glasnevin have gone for rain that end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Stop with the netweather reading
    Practice what you preach :D

Cross model agreement is lacking beyond Thursday is all
    Glasnevin have gone for rain that end of the week

How did you ever know? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Arpege looks nice for Tuesday morning and usually one of the more realistic when it comes to snow forecast.
    arpegeeur-2-90.png?12

http://modeles7.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege/run/2018020212/arpegeeur-2-90.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

That does seem to be deliberately vague about the spell of rain later in the week. Is it a spell of persistent rain for all, or just costal fringes? I have a feeling if cold air is entrenched that might be changed to something more promising in future up dates.

Yes, I would defiantly go with deliberately vague... Helen wasn't even going past Monday afternoon on the lunchtime forecast so I doubt we'll hear anything about late next week until Monday or after (hopefully not too far after), the 12z ECM is going to be very interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I’m refusing to allow myself to get excited about the potential cold spell but so far so good.... no major turnaround in the models.... if we can avoid a downgrade between now and Monday morning, we should see something good. I always had a hunch that February could deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    I’m refusing to allow myself to get excited about the potential cold spell but so far so good.... no major turnaround in the models.... if we can avoid a downgrade between now and Monday morning, we should see something good. I always had a hunch that February could deliver.

Everything ok, dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How many times have you written off this winter and now you are saying you always had a hunch about February...!

-8C 850hPa (easterly cold feed) isotherm well entrenched into Ireland @ 72hrs

ECM0-72.GIF

Spot the front!? Stretching from Newcastle to Anglesey to Lands End, being rapidly occluded.

ECM0-96.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is there snow coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Pocket of proper Siberian air visiting @George sunsnow @72 hrs on this ECM run - Very nice run so far.

ECU0-72.GIF?02-0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is there snow coming?

Ah here, read the thread for heaven's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Bit of a fightback from the Atlantic at 120, nice run before it though and I never trust anything over 96 hours out... Monday night/Tuesday morning should be fun!

ECM0-120.GIF?02-0

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ah here, read the thread for heaven's sake!

I was asking for an opinion.

I've read the thread.

Thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I was asking for an opinion.

I've read the thread.

Thanks all the same.

People are putting in there opinions already. It's a very volatile situation that still could go either way, people have been posting their thoughts here and simply saying something like "is it going to snow" is bizzare and slightly disrespectful. Look at the name of the thread! That's what the discussion is about!

Contribute and ask questions of course, but asking things like "will it snow" isn't going to yield an answer that you couldn't have already read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

How many times have you written off this winter and now you are saying you always had a hunch about February...!

Maybe he's one if those "it's spring" type people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Maybe he's one if those "it's spring" type people?

Actually you’re right! Technically it is Spring! Anyway I’m quietly optimistic something will come of this and as usual I’ll be following all the very well informed folk on here for the latest. February is my second favorite month after June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

People are putting in there opinions already. It's a very volatile situation that still could go either way, people have been posting their thoughts here and simply saying something like "is it going to snow" is bizzare and slightly disrespectful. Look at the name of the thread! That's what the discussion is about!

Contribute and ask questions of course, but asking things like "will it snow" isn't going to yield an answer that you couldn't have already read.

For a Clare man you're quite pedantic sometimes lol

Anyhow do you think it'll snow ?

Disrespectful!? Goodness. Apologies for being so heinous. Thanks for the putting me back on the straight and narrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Another slight upgrade on the GFS for Monday night's potential. The -8 c 850 hpa isotherm is hugging the east coast on Monday.

gfs-1-72.png?12

After Monday night the snow risk is North and West primarily on Tuesday night and there could be some heavy falls of snow here locally. Lighter and more scattered snowfall elsewhere.

Bitterly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Is there snow coming?

yes. all we need to work out now is where and when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Disrespectful!? Goodness. Apologies for being so heinous. Thanks for the putting me back on the straight and narrow.

He's from West Clare,they don't get snow over there....
    He can be a bit cross sometimes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Actually you’re right! Technically it is Spring! Anyway I’m quietly optimistic something will come of this and as usual I’ll be following all the very well informed folk on here for the latest. February is my second favorite month after June.

Technically it's not, even astronomically wise, Spring doesn't start 'til March 19th, 20th or 21st every year.

Let's not forget the phrase that it's more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas.

It probably will snow (west clare?), Tuesday night is probably the better bet for your particular area.

Decent enough chance rain will turn to snow for a time Monday night but that's not nailed yet.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not disrespectful ,more just ignorant, and annoying. Many posters on here are posting clear weather maps and forecasts, least people could do is read what they post, rather than asking for a personal forecast for their area and ignoring everything posted before them

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Another slight upgrade on the GFS for Monday night's potential. The -8 c 850 hpa isotherm is hugging the east coast on Monday.

gfs-1-72.png?12

After Monday night the snow risk is North and West primarily on Tuesday night and there could be some heavy falls of snow here locally. Lighter and more scattered snowfall elsewhere.

Bitterly cold.
    Kermit by you referring to “here” are you referring to your location ?

gfs-1-72.png?12

Bitterly cold.

So Monday night/ Tuesday morning nationwide risk of snow?

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

I think he means Ireland in general.

• Advertisement

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

Nope, sorry. The North, West and North Midlands.

Scattered lighter snow elsewhere.

Tuesday night could be a more interesting event for some...

Advertisement