Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the 6N Free-To-Air on TV3 HD?

• 31-01-2018 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me will the 6Nations be free to air on TV3 HD without a HD sub?

As i remember a similar item regarding a recent competition with the ROI team & RTE 2 HD needed a sub, until someone reminded them that there are other HD channels showing it & RTE changed their tune as they didn't want Irish viewers lost to BBC/ITV ;)

Thanks.

HD or not HD, that is the question! 21 votes

BBC / ITV HD
    0% 0 votes
    TV3
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If you're talking on Saorview or equivalent I don't think they're planning to go HD, unless something has changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Definitely not for this season, unlikely in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭OldRio

No FTA coverage on HD for TV3. We will have to tune into British TV to watch Ireland play in HD. ( Via Northern Ireland for Aerial reception or Freesat for reception via a dish)
    Disgraceful situation in my opinion.

*If you live in the border counties or east coast reception via aerial might be possible.

OldRio wrote: »
    No FTA coverage on HD for TV3. We will have to tune into British TV to watch Ireland play in HD. ( Via Northern Ireland for Ariel reception or Freesat for reception via a dish)
    Disgraceful situation in my opinion.

Really is farcical. Was this not a factor at all in the bidding process?

You really would think that it would have been a prerequisite before bidding but........
    ??

• Advertisement

In fairness, if RTE weren't competitive with their bid and a fuzzy picture for a small proportion of the population is the trade off for keeping it off pay-TV, then I'll take it.

I will be watching on BBC/ITV via satellite and flicking to TV3 for analysis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

How RTE with the licence fee AND advertising can get outbid by TV3 is beyond me.

The bitrate of TV3 standard definition on Soarview is well below par. It's THE worst looking channel available on terrestrial or satallite in Ireland.

How in 2017/2018 they could be even allowed to bid for the competition without broadcasting it in HD, or even decent SD, is a joke.

What in the name of jaysus are we paying the TV licence for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Watch it on BBC and go to TV3 for the analysis seems to be the popular way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Can anyone tell me will the 6Nations be free to air on TV3 HD without a HD sub?

As i remember a similar item regarding a recent competition with the ROI team & RTE 2 HD needed a sub, until someone reminded them that there are other HD channels showing it & RTE changed their tune as they didn't want Irish viewers lost to BBC/ITV ;)

Thanks.

Not to get off track but RTE 2 HD has always been free to air since it launched in 2011. It took the pay services a wee while to cary it as well as the SD pictures but that's a few years ago now.

As regards TV3 HD, well you need to take it up with them on free to air HD directly. Personally I feel that it is bad form from them to not offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The bbc will have POC as commentator/analyst so good analysis there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

The bbc will have POC as commentator/analyst so good analysis there.
    They also won't have 50 ad breaks like TV3 RWC coverage

doylefe wrote: »
    How RTE with the licence fee AND advertising can get outbid by TV3 is beyond me.

The bitrate of TV3 standard definition on Soarview is well below par. It's THE worst looking channel available on terrestrial or satallite in Ireland.

How in 2017/2018 they could be even allowed to bid for the competition without broadcasting it in HD, or even decent SD, is a joke.

The other side of that argument is, why should licence fee money be spent on outbidding a private company with very, very deep pockets when the content will be freely available anyway?

Moaning about having to watch a match in standard def is a textbook first world problem.

The majority of the population will be watching it in HD anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The other side of that argument is, why should licence fee money be spent on outbidding a private company with very, very deep pockets when the content will be freely available anyway?

Moaning about having to watch a match in standard def is a textbook first world problem.

The majority of the population will be watching it in HD anyway.

Tend to agree with this. I think I'm right in saying that take up of satellite in ROI is quite high so many will probably use Freesat or Sky - with Freesat making it easier to record from for IIRC ITV has to be added under 'other channels' for watching on Sky in ROI. Here in NI I am a bit disappointed 6N is still not on RTE as it gave a viable alternative to BBC/ITV coverage. Having had HD now for some 6 Years there is no way I'm going to put up with SD no matter how good the commentary is or the analysis.

Well if we put up with second best we will always receive second best.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

OldRio wrote: »
    Well if we put up with second best we will always receive second best.

Totally agree with this. The Depts of Culture and Sport give great lip-service to protecting FTA for key sports events for the huddled masses of Ireland, but in reality they don't look into the quality of whats on offer.

Eg, Formula 1, supposedly protected FTA on Eir Sport Ireland, however if you have no choice but to subscribe to Virgin (many apartments in urban areas), they do not carry Eir Sport because of a row with them, or Sky Sports F1 either, so there is no physical way to watch all Grand Prix FTA for those people. Im worried about rugby being fragmented in the same way and falling through the cracks for some folk.

What is the definition of FTA? I can watch RTE for free (well, for the price of a license fee) but I would always have to pay something to watch Eir right? Either subscribe to their broadband or else pay for their channels via Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

doylefe wrote: »

TV3 is owned by Virgin Media, more cash than RTE have or will ever have.

In answer to your second question, we're paying for the likes of Turbridy and Miriam to provide us with pure drivel week in week out. Should be a salary cap, I'm talking 100k, for all presenters. If they don't like it, they can head off to TV3. No UK channel would touch them. Its an employers market FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Who sells the rights is it the IRFU or the organisers of the tournament. Either way it went to the highest bidder so the lack of HD coverage really isn't TV3's fault if it wasn't made a pre-requisite of the process. Money talks

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Who sells the rights is it the IRFU or the organisers of the tournament. Either way it went to the highest bidder so the lack of HD coverage really isn't TV3's fault if it wasn't made a pre-requisite of the process. Money talks

It's the tournament organisers, who are World Rugby, who the IRFU would be some sort of stakeholder in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

What is the definition of FTA? I can watch RTE for free (well, for the price of a license fee) but I would always have to pay something to watch Eir right? Either subscribe to their broadband or else pay for their channels via Sky.

Free to Air means that they are available to view via a non subscription broadcast platform such as Saorview or Saorsat. Effectively it means RTÉ 1/2 and TV3 when it comes to big events, with TG4 being a non runner for big price bidding.

• Advertisement

Free to Air means that they are available to view via a non subscription broadcast platform such as Saorview or Saorsat. Effectively it means RTÉ 1/2 and TV3 when it comes to big events, with TG4 being a non runner for big price bidding.

Ok thanks, so is Eir Sport available on Saorview?

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's the tournament organisers, who are World Rugby, who the IRFU would be some sort of stakeholder in.

I don't think it is run by World Rugby. It's organised by Six Nations, which is it's own entity and made up of the six unions involved.

Ok thanks, so is Eir Sport available on Saorview?

No. Saorview is RTE, TG4, Tv3, Be3, 3e and that's it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

BBC HD is the only way.

The TV3 coverage is rubbish. Crap picture, loads of ads, amateur-esque production.

awec wrote: »
    I don't think it is run by World Rugby. It's organised by Six Nations, which is it's own entity and made up of the six unions involved.

Sorry yes brainfart from me, of course it's the 6N who sell the rights.

awec wrote: »
    BBC HD is the only way.

The TV3 coverage is rubbish. Crap picture, loads of ads, amateur-esque production.

Only one of our games is on BBC, the others are on ITV.

Hopefully TV3 will up their game. Not having Matt Cooper on board is a huge bonus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah crap, I only have ITV SD through the manual channels on Sky.

I see ROG is in the TV3 ad, he's hardly flying back and forth from NZ for each game??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,224 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I will be watching on BBC/ITV via satellite and flicking to TV3 for analysis.
    Analysis?

TV3 will have about 30 seconds of 'analysis' at half time and 5 minutes of adds, probably a competition to mention to win a pair of tickets to a match at a 3 euro entry fee which will soak up another chunk of their 'analysis' time.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah crap, I only have ITV SD through the manual channels on Sky.

I see ROG is in the TV3 ad, he's hardly flying back and forth from NZ for each game??

If you have a Sky HD box, you should be able to tune in ITV/UTV HD.

It's only ITV2/3/4 that are limited to SD.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Hoboo wrote: »
    TV3 is owned by Virgin Media, more cash than RTE have or will ever have.

Yet are too cheap to pay for HD broadcasting on Soarview.

Advertisement