Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the 6N Free-To-Air on TV3 HD?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Really is farcical. Was this not a factor at all in the bidding process?
    Unfortunately no. Money is the only factor. But what else do you expect? The Pro12/14 handed coverage of their games to a channel that broadcasts them in a language that 95% of the population doesn't understand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If you have a Sky HD box, you should be able to tune in ITV/UTV HD.

It's only ITV2/3/4 that are limited to SD.

Must check it when I go home. Still manual tuning though, so no pause, playback or recording function. No idea why we can tune these in manually but can't get them on the EPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Zzippy wrote: »
    Must check it when I go home. Still manual tuning though, so no pause, playback or recording function. No idea why we can tune these in manually but can't get them on the EPG

Come over to the dark side (aka freesat!). HD channels with full EPG and series link recording! :pac:

Schorpio wrote: »
    Come over to the dark side (aka freesat!). HD channels with full EPG and series link recording! :pac:

I am possibly the least tech-savvy person you could meet. I wouldn't even know where to start. Also, the missus would throw a fit if she couldn't get GoT on Sky Atlantic...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Unfortunately no. Money is the only factor. But what else do you expect? The Pro12/14 handed coverage of their games to a channel that broadcasts them in a language that 95% of the population doesn't understand.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

As per Charter - no complaining about language coverage please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Tend to agree with this. I think I'm right in saying that take up of satellite in ROI is quite high so many will probably use Freesat or Sky - with Freesat making it easier to record from for IIRC ITV has to be added under 'other channels' for watching on Sky in ROI. Here in NI I am a bit disappointed 6N is still not on RTE as it gave a viable alternative to BBC/ITV coverage. Having had HD now for some 6 Years there is no way I'm going to put up with SD no matter how good the commentary is or the analysis.

I gave up HD a while back as €17 or lower promo price wasnt' enough to keep it!
    Also I hadn't realised that NI don't have TV3, as when i got an automatic reply back, there was this in the FAQ saying:

TV3 in Northern Ireland

It came as a big disappointment to TV3 that our channel is not included in the free-view service in Northern Ireland, but it is entirely beyond our control. However, if you wish to continue to watch TV3 shows we have developed a new service called Roku, where you can now watch TV3 programmes via the Roku box by subscribing for £5.49. They are available to purchase from Amazon.co.uk or Maplin stores in Belfast or Derry. www.tv3.ie/roku
    Is that a once off payment?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Who sells the rights is it the IRFU or the organisers of the tournament. Either way it went to the highest bidder so the lack of HD coverage really isn't TV3's fault if it wasn't made a pre-requisite of the process. Money talks

Afaik, weren't they told they had to have HD to cover a recent competition, was it the world cup, as they had the new HD studios ready by then!
    Ah crap, I only have ITV SD through the manual channels on Sky.

I see ROG is in the TV3 ad, he's hardly flying back and forth from NZ for each game??

I came across the frequency to tune in ITV/UTV HD channels below here:
    11068 V DVB-S2 8PSK 23000 3/4
    KingofSat

labhair ar do shon féin/ speak for yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

TV3 belongs to Virgin Media, which is also a cable TV distributor. It's not in Virgin's interest to improve a competitor's offering by transmitting TV3 in HD on Saorview and they probably won't unless it's made a condition of TV3's licence. The same probably goes for TV3 HD without an HD subscription.

A few years ago my friend was paying rental for an HD box, even though he didn't have a subscription to any HD channels, none of which were free-to-air. There are far too many cases like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's amazing that in 2018, we're still talking about extra charges for HD channels! It should be default by now, they can start offering 4K instead now. This is why I gave up any form of live TV service, apps only for me at this stage.

I am possibly the least tech-savvy person you could meet. I wouldn't even know where to start. Also, the missus would throw a fit if she couldn't get GoT on Sky Atlantic...

If you can use a Sky box, you can use a freesat box. Freesat is effectively the satellite version of freeview - and it's designed to be as user-friendly as possible.

The disadvantage of the system is that you'd need an aerial for Saorview too if you wanted to received the Irish channels, along with some other form of receiving Saorview (all modern TV's have it built-in). GoT on the other hand, I can't help you with! :pac:

I've said it many times on this site, but TV3 HD being behind a paywall on Sky is a disgrace (as is TG4). I'll be watching in HD on ITV/BBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's amazing that in 2018, we're still talking about extra charges for HD channels! It should be default by now, they can start offering 4K instead now. This is why I gave up any form of live TV service, apps only for me at this stage.

Yet Netflix still charge on the basis of sd/hd/4k.

Yet Netflix still charge on the basis of sd/hd/4k.

It's not just resolution - you also get more 'screens' with the different netflix packages, i.e. number of people able to watch at once, so I don't think that's an entirely fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

If you can use a Sky box, you can use a freesat box. Freesat is effectively the satellite version of freeview - and it's designed to be as user-friendly as possible.

The disadvantage of the system is that you'd need an aerial for Saorview too if you wanted to received the Irish channels, along with some other form of receiving Saorview (all modern TV's have it built-in). GoT on the other hand, I can't help you with! :pac:

I've said it many times on this site, but TV3 HD being behind a paywall on Sky is a disgrace (as is TG4). I'll be watching in HD on ITV/BBC.

Is TV3 HD still behind a paywall on Sky (variety pack) ?

I think TG4 are HD on channel 104 for the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is TV3 HD still behind a paywall on Sky (variety pack) ?

I think TG4 are HD on channel 104 for the last year or so.

Sky itself is a paywall, having it in any way costs money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Sky itself is a paywall, having it in any way costs money.

Yes, that is true of course

For any other cord cutters like myself, I'm going to give AerTV a try for the Six Nations, they have all the Irish channels and some of the BBC ones too, and there's a free first month trial.

As far as I can tell, it's the only way to legally live stream TV3, as the 3Player app seems to only do catch-up (which is bullshít in this day and age).

Wish I could use Rugbypass.com here, legally, too, as rugby is literally the only thing I need live TV for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

For any other cord cutters like myself, I'm going to give AerTV a try for the Six Nations, they have all the Irish channels and some of the BBC ones too, and there's a free first month trial.

As far as I can tell, it's the only way to legally live stream TV3, as the 3Player app seems to only do catch-up (which is bullshít in this day and age).

Wish I could use Rugbypass.com here, legally, too, as rugby is literally the only thing I need live TV for!

Surely the TV3 website (not the app) will be streaming the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,001 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm moving into a new house in the next couple of months and I think Rugbypass is going to be the only thing I subscribe to. Does it have Pro14 coverage? I don't think it says so on their website.

Surely the TV3 website (not the app) will be streaming the game?

They do, but that's fairly useless to me, I can't "push" streaming websites to my TV, so the only way of doing it is hooking up the laptop to the TV directly, which is awkward (especially with a grabby toddler around). Plus they use a Flash-based player (in 2018!), so I can't just load it up on the Xbox One and use the browser there.

Hopefully RTE and TV3 will move to HTML5 players soon, like the BBC, and I'll be able to access them directly on the Xbox.

I'm moving into a new house in the next couple of months and I think Rugbypass is going to be the only thing I subscribe to. Does it have Pro14 coverage? I don't think it says so on their website.

I think they have everything but Pro14. I'm lucky in that as an Ulster fan, all our matches are on BBC NI, but I suppose if you were wanting to watch Leinster matches, for example, you've have to pay for the rip off NowTV passes.

I'm waiting on Virgin or Eir or someone offering a completely cord-free IPTV service with add-ons for Sky Sports or Eir Sports or whatever. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a long, long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

jrmb wrote: »
    TV3 belongs to Virgin Media, which is also a cable TV distributor. It's not in Virgin's interest to improve a competitor's offering by transmitting TV3 in HD on Saorview and they probably won't unless it's made a condition of TV3's licence. The same probably goes for TV3 HD without an HD subscription.

A few years ago my friend was paying rental for an HD box, even though he didn't have a subscription to any HD channels, none of which were free-to-air. There are far too many cases like this.

I should have said i'm with $ky, but afaik once they charged for sky+ recording, but gotta get rid of multiroom charges too :(

It's only TV3 HD that you need a sub, TG4 HD is FTA on my sky hdbox!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s not free to air, it’s part of your Sky subscription. You just don’t need to pay the Sky HD sub. Try taking your Sky viewing card out of your box and see can you still view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

tv3 studio chat is dire...zzzzzzzzz

TV3 go to an ad break and miss the start of the game. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Commentary is comatose. Sounds like they're doing it from studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The full name of Alun Wyn Jones is......Owen Thomas Wyn Jones!

Own up McNamara.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

delaad wrote: »
    Commentary is comatose. Sounds like they're doing it from studio.

There was a piece to camera at about 1:10pm with McNamara and Stringer at pitch side, so not off tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Thank god the BBC are showing this in HD as a mate of mine said when I bought my HD tv several years ago what's the point of having a 46 inch HD tv and not having HD sources.(didn't have any HD boxes then)

can't see the point of tv3 spending all that money on six nations and not broadcasting in HD sport is one of the few things I really notice the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Switched to TV3 after BBC finished the post match. Jesus that's some disgraceful picture quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Thank god the BBC are showing this in HD as a mate of mine said when I bought my HD tv several years ago what's the point of having a 46 inch HD tv and not having HD sources.(didn't have any HD boxes then)

can't see the point of tv3 spending all that money on six nations and not broadcasting in HD sport is one of the few things I really notice the difference.

They are showing it in HD, but only on Sky or Virgin Media. Ironically, anyone who's capable of receiving their HD broadcast also has access to the BBC HD coverage.

Advertisement