Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you happy with the upkeep of your area?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    please read the peer reviewed paper from the boe, your understanding of money and its creation is common and flawed as explained in the paper. thank you. steve keen is probably the best to explain the role of money and its creation in the modern monetary system, i.e. banks create money from nothing, on the promise of repayment, this is where a public banking system comes into its own. im not alone

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/banking-on-the-germans-can-the-sparkasse-model-really-put-manners-on-irish-banks-36248820.html

you are doing a bad job here wanderer..That German bank is exactly what I suspected a few posts ago, it's basically a German credit union..we have them, another thing it says in article....started with capital.
    There is no magic money here, what we have is fancier German credit unions, who too can go bust if they try to borrow beyond their means, they can't won't magic up Money without at some stage it biting the tail of themselves, their creditors, depositors or the tax payer.I think fundamentally you think a loan is creating money out of nothing, it isn't, a loan needs to be paid back, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

here is there budget report
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/financial/Adopted%20Budget%202018.pdf

a lot goes on Fisheries and outdoor recreation infrastructure

a huge amount on house maint.

and salaries are getting a big bump

one thing I dont get on the roads... why are private, semi state companies allowed to dig up a road to lay a pipe, duct etc.. and just fill in the dug up part with a crappy finish... surely they should be made repair correctly... so so many roads are screwed up with these patch works... dig a road.. proper repair please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

robtri wrote: »
    here is there budget report
    http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/financial/Adopted%20Budget%202018.pdf

a lot goes on Fisheries and outdoor recreation infrastructure

a huge amount on house maint.

and salaries are getting a big bump

one thing I dont get on the roads... why are private, semi state companies allowed to dig up a road to lay a pipe, duct etc.. and just fill in the dug up part with a crappy finish... surely they should be made repair correctly... so so many roads are screwed up with these patch works... dig a road.. proper repair please

Totally agree, annoys the bejaysus out of me, When a job like that is done an engineer from the council should come out to sign off on finish, Its not ideal i know but its never left right

Just to go a bit more on topic

I reckon one way to go would be to make packing more recyclable.

I was once told any product with REPAK printed on it can be left in the shop after you have paid for it(Recycling is suppose to be included in the price under REPAK), Not sure about this thought but i deffo heard about it before.

Reduce packaging and take a leaf from the German Model with bottles being brought back to shops to receive refunds, before you do your shopping you bring back your bottles and you get a receipt for plastic glass and cans, bring the receipt with you and its put off shopping or money at the till if you want.

This would encourage more recycling and create jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just to go a bit more on topic

I reckon one way to go would be to make packing more recyclable.

I was once told any product with REPAK printed on it can be left in the shop after you have paid for it(Recycling is suppose to be included in the price under REPAK), Not sure about this thought but i deffo heard about it before.

Reduce packaging and take a leaf from the German Model with bottles being brought back to shops to receive refunds, before you do your shopping you bring back your bottles and you get a receipt for plastic glass and cans, bring the receipt with you and its put off shopping or money at the till if you want.

This would encourage more recycling and create jobs

not only would i suggest what you say, id go a step further and push for an overall reduction of the introduction of materials, in particular none recyclable materials in the first place in our production systems, not an easy task though. i particularly like the idea of 'doughnut economics' from British economist kate raworth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

why cant we simply make only fully recycling products can be used as packaging and are bio degradable within x months as well.

give retailers 12 moths to get it done before enforceable

robtri wrote: »
    why cant we simply make only fully recycling products can be used as packaging and are bio degradable within x months as well.

give retailers 12 moths to get it done before enforceable

I would say the easiest answer to that is vested interests of big business.

Sometimes it takes balls to make decisions that could be better in general but affect your own standing on a political level etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd bloody ban bottled water - or at least the half and one litre varieties, I appreciate some people have terrible water quality and so buy in bulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd bloody ban bottled water - or at least the half and one litre varieties, I appreciate some people have terrible water quality and so buy in bulk.

Would this be seen as 'interferring with the market'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why would I have to buy in bulk to have a healthy drink?

You want to force people to buy Coke and the like instead, or would your proposal also include banning all 'soft drinks' in smaller quantities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Force people to buy coke? I'm suggesting you drink tap water and then stick some in a bottle (unless it's poor quality which I pointed out in the post you just quoted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Why would I have to buy in bulk to have a healthy drink?

You want to force people to buy Coke and the like instead, or would your proposal also include banning all 'soft drinks' in smaller quantities?
    Force people to buy coke? I'm suggesting you drink tap water and then stick some in a bottle (unless it's poor quality which I pointed out in the post you just quoted).

It was my understanding that you wanted to ban bottled water to save on packaging ....... so you would not ban the same packaging if it had Coke in it?

You suggestion that I carry a bottle of water with me permanently is ridiculous.
    I buy a bottle of water, of suitable size to quench my thirst, when I require it.
    I do not, and would not, carry a bottle of water with me permanently, on the chance I might wish to take a sup.
    So I would buy a Coke or similar if water was not available.

That is why I asked if you would also ban the smaller sizes of such drinks.

So exactly what are you proposing?

Advertisement