Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PB Points League 2018

• 19-01-2018 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I dunno if this one will be of any interest but hopefully can get off the ground running

The Rules

1) Specific designated races will be assigned each month
    2) People list there current PB's
    3) Points awarded based on performance

How scoring works;

- Points calculated using the IAAF Scoring table attached comparing performance vs current PB

So for example someone who runs a 1.04.26 10k (70 points on table) and hits a PB of 58.03 (180 points) will be awarded 110 points.

This should make things as fair as possible as point increments get larger going up in times (1 second at 30 min level for 10k vs 5 second increments for 60 min level) however still slightly skewed towards newer runners given chances of PB are higher. Hopefully it is as fair a way of promoting a competition here that is open to all levels.

Prizes will be awarded for top 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good idea, but what about us Boardsies living abroad:). I take it you mean a list of Irish road races and using the IAAF scoring system then to allocate points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

OOnegative wrote: »
    Good idea, but what about us Boardsies living abroad:). I take it you mean a list of Irish road races and using the IAAF scoring system then to allocate points?

I think we can facilitate odd exception where boardsies PM race details and advance.

Benefit of this format is that you can compare between track and road to be more inclusive (with Chivito and the growing list of people dipping there toe into the track disciplines)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

So will Raheny be the January race?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    So will Raheny be the January race?

Probably as good a start as any. If people list races in Feb we can do it month by month and we can have approval by the start of each month.

If there are people late to the party we can always do a best of 5/8 races or the likes throughout the year.

Raheny 5
    Name|Current PB|Finishing Time|Points Accrued
    Testosterscone|26.35||

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Raheny 5
    Testosterscone|26.35||
    Adrian522|32.54||

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

cam we do one of.the indoor track races in Feb? Might encourage people to try it and a few of us would have soft ( or no) pb's at 1500m or 3k or whatever.

Failing that there are a few 10 milers in Feb might be worth doing that distance.

adrian522 wrote: »
    cam we do one of.the indoor track races in Feb? Might encourage people to try it and a few of us would have soft ( or no) pb's at 1500m or 3k or whatever.

Failing that there are a few 10 milers in Feb might be worth doing that distance.

I was planning on include NIA, National Indoors and European Masters as races to as (hopefully) it will be a league that all across all disciplines can do and as you say hopefully promote participation at grass routes level across track and road (will probably include all NIA/Graded Meets, All Championship races, Kia Race Series and BHAA as a starting reference point of races)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I have no chance of a PB this year unless I do as Adrian suggests and go to NIA - but there's last, and there's 'still running' :D

Brilliant idea though, best of luck to all :)

I have no chance of a PB this year )

Not if I have anything to say about it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great idea, could make for some excellent debate and even a bit of competitive banter. Possibly best to keep it simple, but would it be an idea to have a few designated races each month, maybe only one of which counts, to maximize participation as not everyone might be available or eligible - graded meets restricted to club runners for example.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great idea, could make for some excellent debate and even a bit of competitive banter. Possibly best to keep it simple, but would it be an idea to have a few designated races each month, maybe only one of which counts, to maximize participation as not everyone might be available or eligible - graded meets restricted to club runners for example.

Just a thought.

I agree to an extent though I think the likes of the graded is necessary because otherwise you alienate track people (especially as they have a smaller race window as only 9 months available with Sep-Nov ruled out) Perhaps 1 key race a month that is points weighted (1.5 multiplier) but still include championships etc.

I will have a think and iron out race plan overnight.

Interesting document by the way - but doesn’t seem to have points for 5-mile times. I suppose they could be worked out from an equivalent performance table?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Interesting document by the way - but doesn’t seem to have points for 5-mile times. I suppose they could be worked out from an equivalent performance table?

Will work off 10k increments for that one just for simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Not if I have anything to say about it

I'm only putting two and two together. Is AGYR in the factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Raheny 5
    Testosterscone|26.35||
    Adrian522|32.54||
    hot buttered scones|34.31||

I'm not sure how many of these I'll do, but I'm doing this one. My PB is bit soft in fairness, haven't raced a 5 mile since 2015. I've had faster unofficial splits in longer races since, but as it stands that's my PB in a 5 mile race.

Raheny 5
    Testosterscone|26.35||
    Adrian522|32.54||
    Skyblue46|37:17||

Raheny 5
    Testosterscone|26.35||
    Adrian522|32.54||
    Skyblue46|37:17|33:53|

Raheny 5
      Testosterscone|26.35||
      Adrian522|32.54|32.13|52
      Skyblue46|37:17|33:53|

Going by 10k points, my old pb was 730 points and this result gives 782, so I make that 52 points accrued.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Looking forward to getting in on this, really good idea. Great times too!

Not signed up for anything in Feb - be nice to twin it with something here

Raheny 5
        Testosterscone|26.35||
        Adrian522|32.54|32.13|52
        Skyblue46|37:17|33:53|219

At a glance my old time was worth 440 and new 659. I'll put the points in but expect some sort of points weighting so us newbies who can still make chunky PBs don't make a mess of the whole idea. :pac:

• Advertisement

At a glance my old time was worth 440 and new 659. I'll put the points in but expect some sort of points weighting so us newbies who can still make chunky PBs don't make a mess of the whole idea. :pac:
          Just means it's harder for you next time ;)

Raheny 5
          Testosterscone|26.35|26.57|0
          Adrian522|32.54|32.13|52
          Skyblue46|37:17|33:53|219

Better than I was expecting but didn't quite have the perfect conditions of Dunboyne 5 mile last year. Still 2nd fastest ever I will take that :)

Just means it's harder for you next time ;)

Yeah I'm fast running out of soft PBs. :(

Anyone wanting to add a race for Feb put up recommendations and i'll compile a short list

Does it have to be a specific race? Trim and Dungarvan 10 Miles are both on next Sunday. You could also pick a race from the NIA live on either Feb 8th or Feb 22nd.

I'll be doing the 800 at NIA. ;)

adrian522 wrote: »
            Does it have to be a specific race? Trim and Dungarvan 10 Miles are both on next Sunday. You could also pick a race from the NIA live on either Feb 8th or Feb 22nd.

Any idea what we could do where someone doesn't have an existing PB to improve upon?

List of Races as follows;

Trim/Dungarvan 10m
            NIA Meets
            National Seniors Indoors

Any idea what we could do where someone doesn't have an existing PB to improve upon?

For those who haven't set a time we are gonna base the equivalent IAAF Point performance so your Raheny Time equates to the following.

33.53 equates to a 42.40 10k (http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/index.php) This is worth 183 points.

This equates to the following:

800m: 2.31.59
            1 mile: 5.42.59
            3000m: 11.30.15
            10 mile:70.55

Oh sweet divine Jaysus! Haha.

Oh sweet divine Jaysus! Haha.

With great improvement comes great responsibility :p

• Advertisement

I have all the road race distances run. It's the NIA ones I'd need to use. :-)

Advertisement