Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trucking general chat - was Forum/Sub-forum proposal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

A lovely Hino here, the Green marker stood out alot when these were on the road when i was a kid.

Copyright Fred Dean

https://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/14029257160/in/album-72157627762135473/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭maxflinn

Rave.ef wrote: »
    Money's still poor enough. Not sure what it's like for a rigid because to be totally honest never drove one full time always been artic. It is tough to get a start with no experience but if I were you I'd start with store all they have a lot of warehouses in Waterford and a few rigids on the road too. What part of Waterford are you in. You could try breens I'm newross seem to have lot of rigids on the road too.
    I'm in Waterford City. I've been planning to contact Store All. Just got my CPC card in the post this morning too so I'm good to go.

Cheers.

When i started out in a rigid i was being €10 an hour with no expenses, i was doing nothing but Dunnes Stores, you had to unload the truck, break down the pallets for them to inspect it and put them where they tell you, then you must wait for a manager to check off every single item on the dockets.

Not a hope in hell would i ever get involved with a company servicing them or Musgraves/Super Valu/Centra for the same reasons.

If i were you, apply to Tesco for a job.

35 hour a week contracts being paid over €14 an hour, i left there before they changed the contracts.

If you got an artic licence give Dungarvan Transport a shout, they have a nice fleet of Merc's and are naturally Waterford Based.

Cappoquin Transport is another.

Are you based in the city?

Starting out is the biggest part though and most need you to be over 25.

I'm getting about 600 a week after tax driving an artic, i'd only leave where i am for the likes of An Post though as i have it very cushy bar the hours on occasion.
    I'm in Waterford City yes, and have a class C license so rigids. I'm in my forties.

I'll check out Tesco. Cheers.

maxflinn wrote: »
    I'm in Waterford City yes, and have a class C license so rigids. I'm in my forties.

I'll check out Tesco. Cheers.

Tesco in Ardkeen do home shopping so that is where the vans are kept.

The only major change since I left is they introduced Garda Vetting for new drivers.

Tesco in Ardkeen do home shopping so that is where the vans are kept.

The only major change since I left is they introduced Garda Vetting for new drivers.
    I was just checking out their website there. I'll fire off a CV.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Rave.ef

I'm in Waterford City. I've been planning to contact Store All. Just got my CPC card in the post this morning too so I'm good to go.

Cheers.

All id advise is try get in with a company that stick with the same thing be it multi drop fridge work tipper ect ect. because there is nothing worse than not knowing what you'll end up doing for the day never mind if you'll make it home that night/week.

All id advise is try get in with a company that stick with the same thing be it multi drop fridge work tipper ect ect. because there is nothing worse than not knowing what you'll end up doing for the day never mind if you'll make it home that night/week.
    I must say I'm a bit concerned with all this talk of working 14-15 hrs a day, not being home for the week etc when the maximum one can (read is supposed to) work in two weeks is 90 hrs!

Then again I guess this is Ireland, where rules are so easily bent :D

I must say I'm a bit concerned with all this talk of working 14-15 hrs a day, not being home for the week etc when the maximum one can (read is supposed to) work in two weeks is 90 hrs!

The 90 hours covers actual driving only, that’s the misconception.

Multi drop is a curse.

Especially in the current weather.

Carna Transport are looking for artic drivers to go out on the continent.

Any takers?

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1675142

• Advertisement

Get onto this crowd, the money is about €13.50 an hour.

It's Greenstar.

I did that work, twas handy.

Also it's rigid work.

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1676443

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Odelay

Carna Transport are looking for artic drivers to go out on the continent.

Any takers?

https://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1675142

What do they mean by "Aviation certification required" in the ad? Googled it but that was all about aircraft. Is it a typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭audiavantawx

It's Greenstar.

Also it's rigid work.

Why do you reckon they pay these agencies to advertise for them?

Internet seems to be a wash with agencies advertising for companies,wont release details of who they are until you sign their forms

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

It's the one thing i vowed i will never do, is continental work.

Are the car transportation company Irish based?

I can think of 2 or 3 who go out foreign.

He was a slave to them effectively, he was right to tell them f. off, i would have as well.

Driving to Moscow is something else, how long would that take?

Not Irish local outfit in Lithuania he works for.

Think Moscow was a 2 day trip but would depend on the boarder crossing into Russia and then 2-3 days back depending on boarders at Russia and Belarus. Generally ran back from Moscow empty so was quicker to through belarus. He got sent up to Siberia once with a load. Said he'd never go back it was so cold

Multi drop is a curse.

Especially in the current weather.

Id prefer it to my last job.

Leave limerick Sunday night to be in Dublin outside a site for 6 am. Might have 2 or 3 crane lifts there. Might have 2 more sites to call to. Then a back load of ether empty stillages or coated materials to go back to the factory. If not it would ether be straw or hay. If you were lucky the 56 of them would be going to the one farmer but more often then not 20 might be going to limericks 20 to cork and the last 16 to some ould lad in ballinskelligs. All on a 45 foot and 6x4. Youd always get the usual then. The milk man comes in and out of the yard no bother. Little fm with a 38 foot rear steering trailer. Some lads I'd love to have just kicked in the head but what can you do when your living the dream:-)

Odelay wrote: »
    What do they mean by "Aviation certification required" in the ad? Googled it but that was all about aircraft. Is it a typo?

Here it is.

I have to do it myself in the next few weeks, by law now you can only do it if it's a requirement of your job.
    https://www.wdtraining.ie/air-cargo-module-12.html

Why do you reckon they pay these agencies to advertise for them?

Internet seems to be a wash with agencies advertising for companies,wont release details of who they are until you sign their forms

I genuinely don't know.

What i will say though is, when i applied to Greenstar directly, they were offering me less to work for them than the agency were, i was getting more to do the exact same job but through an agency.

After the 6 month probation expires, you transfer over with your existing terms and get a pay rise.

Some agencies are rubbish to work for though, they pay you the bare minimum wage to drive.

neris wrote: »
    Not Irish local outfit in Lithuania he works for.

Think Moscow was a 2 day trip but would depend on the boarder crossing into Russia and then 2-3 days back depending on boarders at Russia and Belarus. Generally ran back from Moscow empty so was quicker to through belarus. He got sent up to Siberia once with a load. Said he'd never go back it was so cold

Oh Lithuania to Russia?

That is different.

Still though, the weather there is very very cold, so he was right about that.

What are Russian border controls like with truckers?

Leave limerick Sunday night to be in Dublin outside a site for 6 am. Might have 2 or 3 crane lifts there. Might have 2 more sites to call to. Then a back load of ether empty stillages or coated materials to go back to the factory. If not it would ether be straw or hay. If you were lucky the 56 of them would be going to the one farmer but more often then not 20 might be going to limericks 20 to cork and the last 16 to some ould lad in ballinskelligs. All on a 45 foot and 6x4. Youd always get the usual then. The milk man comes in and out of the yard no bother. Little fm with a 38 foot rear steering trailer. Some lads I'd love to have just kicked in the head but what can you do when your living the dream:-)

It sounds like heaven to your last job.

How did you find the rear steer?

That is the one thing i have never done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Odelay

Lol, "the milk truck can do it" big difference between it and a 45 foot 6x4.

On the other side of the fence, I was ordering a load in a walking floor, owner was sharp enough "is there enough room for an artic and don't tell me the fooking milk truck does it" :0

• Advertisement

It sounds like heaven to your last job.

How did you find the rear steer?

That is the one thing i have never done.

My 45 didn't have a rear steer.

Have done bita milk tho take getting used to but where the tractor unit will go tank will.

Odelay wrote: »
    Lol, "the milk truck can do it" big difference between it and a 45 foot 6x4.

On the other side of the fence, I was ordering a load in a walking floor, owner was sharp enough "is there enough room for an artic and don't tell me the fooking milk truck does it" :0

I'm the same now but be a little more polite about it😂

My 45 didn't have a rear steer.

Have done bita milk tho take getting used to but where the tractor unit will go tank will.

You done milk runs from farm to farm?

My driving instructor for the artic did it as well,not something i'd enjoy to be honest.

Volvo tractor unit?

You done milk runs from farm to farm?

My driving instructor for the artic did it as well,not something i'd enjoy to be honest.

Volvo tractor unit?

Ya it's not for everyone but I didn't mind it. Not an easy job tho. Depending on the tanker but 3 compartments and min ullage dose not come into it so you can imagine the milk flying around from yard to yard. Ya fm was still a 6x2 long wheel base for the weight.

It's Greenstar.

Also it's rigid work.

Thanks very much that's very helpful.

Thanks very much that's very helpful.

Have you an idea of what kind of work you want to get into or are you just like me and just love trucks

Have you an idea of what kind of work you want to get into or are you just like me and just love trucks
    I'm easy to be honest. I realise that it may take a while before I've the necessary experience to apply for the better jobs and am resigned to taking whatever I can get in the meantime. It'll all be experience anyway.

I like the idea of driving them but it's a steady income that I decided to get into it for, more than the driving. Far better than being stuck in some factory though, at least I'm hoping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just spotted my 1st 181 reg truck of the year. Daf Lf in Bridgestone tyres livery.

neris wrote: »
    Just spotted my 1st 181 reg truck of the year. Daf Lf in Bridgestone tyres livery.

Nice!

Have yet to see any 181 trucks myself, well on the roads, I’ve seen a few on dealer forecourts.

• Advertisement

An POV of the life.

Advertisement