Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Moose Man v "Social Influencer"...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I think it's fair to say that 22 year olds generally aren't self-aware anyway, so I don't expect she would be. To any 22 year olds at least in my experience anyway, anyone over 30 is ancient, so I don't see anything unusual there either, and when she says 'these people over 30 who don't understand social media', she has a point, again!

I understand social media, but the type of social media she's involved in, I understand it, but I also understand I'm not the target audience. I've watched some of her videos and honestly I think she's more harmless than any sort of malicious intent. I think there are far more harmful social media influencers out there influencing young women, and while I'd dip in and out of the Social Media forum on here, it's just not my thing, but I can understand why people enjoy it as a form of entertainment.

I also think the "not a real job" argument is redundant, there are plenty of career choices are not "real" jobs by that standard, but these people are generating an income for themselves.

I think she should have done her research better, I mean, a quick google search of the hotel will show that it's reputation is built on insulting it's customers. I wouldn't have expected anything less from the person in question though.

I think she handled the attempted humiliation well, and they're both right - one does need brass balls in the respective businesses they're in. I often traded services with clients where we would recommend each others services, it's really not the unusual business practice it's being made out to be here. She offered, offer should have been politely turned down and that should have been the end of it, and in most circumstances it would have been.

Are you f*cking drunk??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

You don't even have to be an influencer or have a blog. Pennies and a few other places (not very many) have given me free things to try and talk about if I liked it. I was approached (through work) and did not go looking.

Pics

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Are you f*cking drunk??

:pac:

No, but up to the gills on painkillers if it helps? :pac:

No, genuinely, I just think that yes, she absolutely is operating in a self-absorbed bubble of self-importance, but I don't think that's unusual for most 22 year olds, and I would expect anyone over 30 to be more mature about it and see what she's doing for what it is - harmless, rather than going all out to assassinate her character on social media is all.

I do think too that yes, they both need brass balls to do what they do. I wouldn't be in any immediate rush to criticise her for what she did, and yer man well he simply isn't worth criticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

doylefe wrote: »
    Pics
    you want to see different lip liners? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are you f*cking drunk??

It probably depends how far over 30 you are....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

It probably depends how far over 30 you are....

The 1978 - 88 generation (which is everyone who is in their 30's right now) are the ones who originally built the social media empires that we use from their college dorm rooms and it is that generation that currently manage those empires today. To say that people over 30 don't understand social media, when today's 30 - 40 year olds are the original creators and consumers of social media, is ASTOUNDINGLY idiotic.

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The 1978 - 88 generation (which is everyone who is in their 30's right now) are the ones who originally built the social media empires that we use from their college dorm rooms and it is that generation that currently manage those empires today. To say that people over 30 don't understand social media, when today's 30 - 40 year olds are the original creators and consumers of social media, is ASTOUNDINGLY idiotic.

I dunno if it is..Yeah, our generation developed it etc., but we have a different understanding of it, and a different relationship to it. For those who grew up with the internet it's an aspect of their reality. Their interactions with it shape their lives. It's not just some new fangled technology that's great to buy stuff on and depressing to date on.

To be fair, it was only a very, very small subset of those people who are in their 30's now who were behind Web 2.0. The average 30 year old isn't going to understand the appeal of these social media influencers, because they aren't generally the target audience. I think that's the point she's making, not that people over 30 don't understand social media, but the people over 30 who are attacking her online are doing so because they don't understand how being a social media influencer works.

Given how this thread is going, I'd be given to thinking she has a point if I didn't know what she meant already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I was born in 1988 (still shy of 30 though!) and I would be a lot of their target audience. Young enough to be influenced into buying makeup, clothes perfume jewellery handbags etc and old enough to have the money to purchase the items. It's all well and good trying to convince a 21 year old college student that it's an investment to spend 120 on eyelash extensions, 45 Euro on a diary, 42 Euro on a candle, that a 3k bag is an investment piece, that lip fillers and Botox are the way to go, to buy a range of meat from a specific butcher if I'm trying to join #fitfam. Do you think a 21 year old is actually going to spend money? It's not, they neeed to hit a slightly older target market

I was born in 1988 (still shy of 30 though!) and I would be a lot of their target audience. Young enough to be influenced into buying makeup, clothes perfume jewellery handbags etc and old enough to have the money to purchase the items. It's all well and good trying to convince a 21 year old college student that it's an investment to spend 120 on eyelash extensions, 45 Euro on a diary, 42 Euro on a candle, that a 3k bag is an investment piece, that lip fillers and Botox are the way to go, to buy a range of meat from a specific butcher if I'm trying to join #fitfam. Do you think a 21 year old is actually going to spend money? It's not, they neeed to hit a slightly older target market

Generally though, people in their 20's would have more disposable income than people in their 30's, and people in their 20's are more likely to spend the vast majority of their disposable income on portraying an affluent lifestyle than people in their 30's who would be considering savings and investments.

I'm not saying that holds true in all cases like, there are like Dara suggested many young women who have degrees at 22 and well paid careers and so on, but I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive - I know quite a few young women who are academic, professional, and interested in social media influencers. I just don't know too many in their 30's though.

• Advertisement

Generally though, people in their 20's would have more disposable income than people in their 30's, and people in their 20's are more likely to spend the vast majority of their disposable income on portraying an affluent lifestyle than people in their 30's who would be considering savings and investments.

I'm not saying that holds true in all cases like, there are like Dara suggested many young women who have degrees at 22 and well paid careers and so on, but I don't see the two as being mutually exclusive - I know quite a few young women who are academic, professional, and interested in social media influencers. I just don't know too many in their 30's though.

Lad. Stop. Just stop.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

groovyg wrote: »
    Is he not an influencer himself ? He posted this pic on his instagram

I'm confused:confused: how is he different to the blogger that asked him for a free stay?

Hilton Amsterdam isnt going to hand out free rooms to the Mooseknuckle Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I was just joking 'cause Whip It is 68.

Lad. Stop. Just stop.

There's nothing controversial in that statement? :confused:

Or factual

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

groovyg wrote: »
    Is he not an influencer himself ? He posted this pic on his instagram

I'm confused:confused: how is he different to the blogger that asked him for a free stay?

I would guess...just a guess...that he is taking the piss.

Or factual

There's plenty factual about it, that's why women in their 20's are the intended target audience of these social media influencers and not women in their 30's because women in their 20's will spend more of their income on these lifestyle products whereas women in their 30's will be thinking more about investing the majority of their income and therefore will have less disposable income for discretionary expenditure on lifestyle choices.

Take the example of the €3k handbag, and imagine that a woman has the €3k to spend on said handbag, it's far more likely that a woman in her 20's will be more easily influenced to part with the cash than a woman in her 30's. I did say I was speaking generally and of course there are exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I would really hate if my niece saw people like these bloggers, vloggers, whatever (I'm absolutely ancient, by this girl's standards) as role models. It's a shallow, pointless way to earn a living and ultimately a very dishonest way if she's taking freebies in return for positive reviews.

In any event, I doubt very much she's earning an actual living from it. Judging by the décor in the background that is her parents' house she's filming from. I imagine she's making pocket money at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Donegal? Where’s your honey post gone? I was going to say you forgot to ad that your post was sponsored by the bees of Ireland federation heehee

#sp #ad

Hi, I noticed that she had a bloodshot eye in the video, like a conjunctivitis of some sort. I have recently discovered that honey and warm water will sort it out.. the ancient Egyptians used to use honey for all eye conditions.. and they knew a thing or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Hi, I noticed that she had a bloodshot eye in the video, like a conjunctivitis of some sort. I have recently discovered that honey and warm water will sort it out.. the ancient Egyptians used to use honey for all eye conditions.. and they knew a thing or two!

She has a lazy eye and recently had surgery. Probably still recovering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Or factual
    I had a hell lot more cash in my 20s, in my 30s I have a wife, 3 kids, mortgage , 2 cars to run, kids school expenses , swimming, karate, music, gymnastics lessons to pay for.

Im on much more money but it all goes on other people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I didn't even look at the link but that white moose guy tries way to hard to be sassy and witty, usually a cringey fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

A lot of people do have more disposable income in their twenties. They're less likely to be paying a mortgage, or childcare, or needing a decent car that can fit three kids seats in the back, or to need to put money aside for house repairs, school expenses and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

She doesn’t strike me as the sharpest tool in the box.

Even calling her the bluntest would be an insult to the word.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Even calling her the bluntest would be an insult to the word.
    She's managed to carve out a niche where people are paying her to promote products. I'd say she's a lot more intelligent than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    She's managed to carve out a niche where people are paying her to promote products. I'd say she's a lot more intelligent than you think.

I'd say it speaks more of the intelligence of those who give her stuff for free than it does of hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Penn wrote: »
    I'd say it speaks more of the intelligence of those who give her stuff for free than it does of hers.

The people that fawn over her are worse

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Penn wrote: »

It certainly works both ways.

But you know, if what she was doing was easy, we'd all be doing it. Again, i'm under the assumption that she is getting paid also from companies to promote their stuff.

There's plenty factual about it, that's why women in their 20's are the intended target audience of these social media influencers and not women in their 30's because women in their 20's will spend more of their income on these lifestyle products whereas women in their 30's will be thinking more about investing the majority of their income and therefore will have less disposable income for discretionary expenditure on lifestyle choices.

Take the example of the €3k handbag, and imagine that a woman has the €3k to spend on said handbag, it's far more likely that a woman in her 20's will be more easily influenced to part with the cash than a woman in her 30's. I did say I was speaking generally and of course there are exceptions.

Well that's not the same thing. "Having more disposable income" is an awful lot different to "more easily duped into spending their cash"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I think the tide is turning against a lot of them, seems any half attractive female who works in a gym/beauty/hairdresser or scammer is trying to be a blogger/influencer trying to scrounge freebies,, the so sue me one looked pathetic when she tried to get solicitors on to some other page taking the pee out of her cropping seagulls in every pic of hers and the "cyberbullying" nonsense when a lot of these "influencers" got taken to task for saying false info

They'll be calling it influencer-shaming next. You're nobody if you haven't been *something*shamed these days.

Advertisement