Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on footpaths

Options
  • 17-01-2018 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

What's the deal here?

Google throws up conflicting reports.

Some say it's totally illegal, some say it's illegal but not enforced, some say it's legal.

I'm getting so annoyed by cycle nazis on footpaths that expect you to get out of their way I'm extremely close to clothes-lining one of them off the bike.

tenor.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This’ll go well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Its illegal.
    But my 5 yr old prefers to cycle on the path on her trike than the road.
    Would you clothesline her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Its illegal.

No but I'd clothesline you if you I saw you allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

On the spot fine afaik, enforcement? You’re havin a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Far more dangerous to cycle on the path than on a cycle track, the problem is there's very few cycle tracks and those that are around were designed by pure bellends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Asus X540L wrote: »
    What's the deal here?

Some say it's totally illegal, some say it's illegal but not enforced, some say it's legal.

I'm getting so annoyed by cycle nazis on footpaths that expect you to get out of their way I'm extremely close to clothes-lining one of them off the bike.

Stop walking on the cyclepath. Clothes-line them? Of course you would!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Now I'm not a lawyer but as far as I know if someone is cycling in a footpath it is completely legal to clothesline them as long as the guard isn't wearing a hat.
    That's from section 5 appendix 3.2 of the cycling on footpaths cvnts get what they deserve statute book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Its illegal.

If you’re supervising your 5 year old on her trike then my 83 year old pedestrian mother won’t have to get off the pavement onto the road for fear of being knocked down by said trike.
    So no one gets clotheslined ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Walking on a cyclepath.

Whats the deal here? The deal is, I clothesline you at speed then stick your head between the spokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

vicwatson wrote: »
    On the spot fine afaik, enforcement? You’re havin a laugh

It's illegal to cycle on the footpath but it wasnt included in the list of on the spot fines so as to avoid a situation where a 5 year old is fined for not cycling on the road.

Adults should never cycle on the footpath except for access purposes.

• Advertisement

No but I'd clothesline you if you I saw you allowing it.

I let her.

I think we need to meet.
    So i can give you a beat down in front of her.

It'll be a valuable life lesson for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yes for kids. No for adults.

You cycle on the road in my town. You take your life in your hands…

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you’re supervising your 5 year old on her trike then my 83 year old pedestrian mother won’t have to get off the pavement onto the road for fear of being knocked down by said trike.
    So no one gets clotheslined ok?

No, but your sprightly 83yr old gran would be safe with a small pink trike being cycled at 2kmph. Approach velocity would ensure both can take evasive action.

Be different if your auld nan was in a segment though. All bets off then.

I let her.

I think we need to meet.
    So i can give you a beat down in front of her.

It'll be a valuable life lesson for her.

you post on the proc forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

They love this on the East Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I nearly got cleaned out of it by a moron cyclist on the footpath a few weeks ago. I let him know exactly what I thought of him and the moron just said: "But sure there is no cycle lane here".

Cyclists. Never wrong though, everybody knows that.

you post on the proc forum?

The wha Gay?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What's the deal here?

Depends where you are - it's illegal in Ireland, but the Guards tend to turn a blind eye when they see a 5 year old kid cycling along the footpath with mum beside on the way to school

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Cyclists. Never wrong though, everybody knows that.
    Don't be ridiculous. There are plenty of cyclists that I don't agree with everything on, so all of them must be wrong:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Id duck your wimpy clothesline, kick you in the gut and BAM - STONE COLD STUNNER!

I'd just hang my bib-knickers on his clothesline

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No, but your sprightly 83yr old gran would be safe with a small pink trike being cycled at 2kmph. Approach velocity would ensure both can take evasive action.

Be different if your auld nan was in a segment though. All bets off then.
    She’s my mother not my nan. Here’s the deal. My mam pavement rights trump your five year olds pavement rights because my mam has to walk on the pavement to get to where she wants to go.
    Your five year old can take her trike to park and cycle it all around there.
    No need for my mam to take any evasive action whatsoever .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Your Face wrote: »
    Id duck your wimpy clothesline, kick you in the gut and BAM - STONE COLD STUNNER!

Ah now, what you really want to do it the classic RKO outta nowhere while still moving :P

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I think *technically* it's not illegal but it is once you get in anyone's way, so it usually is illegal.

Im not going to bother my arse following this thread because everyone knows how it will turn out, but I will say this, as a keen cyclist and a cycle commuter: I will never, ever give up an inch of space to a cyclist* coming towards me on a footpath. Use the fùcking road you absolute dìck.

*adult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

benjamin d wrote: »
    I think *technically* it's not illegal but it is once you get in anyone's way, so it usually is illegal.

Im not going to bother my arse following this thread because everyone knows how it will turn out, but I will say this, as a keen cyclist and a cycle commuter: I will never, ever give up an inch of space to a cyclist* coming towards me on a footpath. Use the fùcking road you absolute dìck.

*adult

It is illegal unless the cyclist is entering or exiting a property adjacent to the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s been a while since we had a thread like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

amcalester wrote: »
    It is illegal unless the cyclist is entering or exiting a property adjacent to the footpath.

You're dead right, I think I'm thinking of the UK where it's "without regard to pedestrians" or something.

It’s been a while since we had a thread like this.
    T'was only 3 months ago

• Advertisement

Advertisement