Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on footpaths

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Beasty wrote: »

Perception of time passing differs with age. You must be ancient compared to me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Cycling can be dangerous here in Ireland. :( I love cycling. Our cities and towns and villages should be far more accommodating to cyclists. If more of us cycled more regularly people would be a lot fitter, and it's better for the environment.

We need to learn from the Dutch and aim to have less cars on the road.

Cycling in the Netherlands
    Cycling is a common mode of transport in the Netherlands, with 36% of the people listing the bicycle as their most frequent mode of transport on a typical day
    Bike-friendly infrastructure
    There is a continuous network of cycle paths, clearly signposted, well maintained and well lit, with road/cycle path junctions that often give priority to cyclists. This makes cycling itself convenient, pleasant, and safe.
    There is also a good network of bicycle shops throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,669 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In Dundalk there are side by side paths which are divided into cycling and pedestrian. Whoever made them helpfully drew pictures of pedestrians and cyclists at intervals along the paths. But this has had the unexpected effect of making pedestrians walk on the cycle paths, and vice versa.

Although I have noticed a few honourable exceptions who keep to the correct lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Cycling can be dangerous here in Ireland. :( I love cycling. Our cities and towns and villages should be far more accommodating to cyclists. If more of us cycled more regularly people would be a lot fitter, and it's better for the environment.

We need to learn from the Dutch and aim to have less cars on the road.

Cycling in the Netherlands
    Cycling is a common mode of transport in the Netherlands, with 36% of the people listing the bicycle as their most frequent mode of transport on a typical day
    Bike-friendly infrastructure
    There is a continuous network of cycle paths, clearly signposted, well maintained and well lit, with road/cycle path junctions that often give priority to cyclists. This makes cycling itself convenient, pleasant, and safe.
    There is also a good network of bicycle shops throughout the country.

Maybe we should learn from the Dutch and have a flat country too !!! I will in my arse cycle up that bloody hill !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

bicycles belong on the road not on the footpath with the exception of supervised children on bicycles who should have use of the footpath but once the supervision ends then on to the road with them.
    i would like to see more speed vans in urban areas with max speed 40Kph, if you slow down the cars you make the street safer for cycling.
    then have heavy fines for cyclists on footpaths, pedestrians and motorists in cycle lanes, and cars going over the speed limit, etc, i mean draconian and then enforce it.
    problem solved. your welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Asus X540L wrote: »
    No but I'd clothesline you if you I saw you allowing it.

I was going to say you'd have to bend down to clock the 5 year old, but trying to clock an adult sounds like a strategy that's bound to go wrong :pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    Depends where you are - it's illegal in Ireland, but the Guards tend to turn a blind eye when they see a 5 year old kid cycling along the footpath with mum beside on the way to school

Depends on the Garda too Beasty, and I was actually glad when they stopped up my child at the time and told him to get off the bike and don't be cycling on the footpath - temporary humiliation but it was just as well it came from a Garda, he didn't believe me that they would do it :D

As it happens I'll soon be purchasing an electric scooter to get around town, but I'd never be so inconsiderate to pedestrians as to have them try and manoeuver around me, it's far easier just to use the roads on the premise that vehicle drivers are bound to be more vigilant than pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...unless you are doing 50 kph like Lance Armstrong. Most bikes do about 10 kph and are only in the way on modern congested roads.

If I had a kid that was biking around where I live I'd recommend the foot path rather than they lose their life or be badly injured on the road. Inevitable with all the test pilots around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Liverpoolfan1

I've been walking and cycling around Dublin City centre for more than 20 years. I could count the number of cyclists I've seen on the footpath on one hand!

So where are they all?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

doolox wrote: »
    ...unless you are doing 50 kph like Lance Armstrong. Most bikes do about 10 kph and are only in the way on modern congested roads.

If I had a kid that was biking around where I live I'd recommend the foot path rather than they lose their life or be badly injured on the road. Inevitable with all the test pilots around.

On "modern congested roads" cars are in the way of bikes.

You're not in traffic, you are traffic, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It’s illegal. Never do it myself. But I will with my young son. Once no one acts that maggot all’s grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

splinter65 wrote: »
    She’s my mother not my nan. Here’s the deal. My mam pavement rights trump your five year olds pavement rights because my mam has to walk on the pavement to get to where she wants to go.
    Your five year old can take her trike to park and cycle it all around there.
    No need for my mam to take any evasive action whatsoever .

How big is your mam*?
    Even allowing for dual wielding shopping bags?

Ill take my chances though and hope my 5 yr old doesnt impinge on her pavement rights too much.
    Dont worry, she'll be off the paths with her siblings soon. Roundabout 6 ive thought them a modicum of roadcraft, to start training them for the RAS.

My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I love the "in the way" bit.
    Bikes were there first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Asus X540L wrote: »
    What's the deal here?

Google throws up conflicting reports.

Some say it's totally illegal, some say it's illegal but not enforced, some say it's legal.

I'm getting so annoyed by cycle nazis on footpaths that expect you to get out of their way I'm extremely close to clothes-lining one of them off the bike.

Not a good idea.......

........some if them cycle Nazis have guns

13395080_1728954294038051_140704258_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI3MTEwMTg0NTYzODc4NjY2Ng%3D%3D.2

68f1c7b569c2a1bfee9ea63a558f0a67--german-soldier-military-uniforms.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

hawkelady wrote: »
    Maybe we should learn from the Dutch and have a flat country too !!! I will in my arse cycle up that bloody hill !!

HTFU :P

Besides when you get to the top you have the fun of going down again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not a good idea.......

........some if them cycle Nazis have guns

13395080_1728954294038051_140704258_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI3MTEwMTg0NTYzODc4NjY2Ng%3D%3D.2

68f1c7b569c2a1bfee9ea63a558f0a67--german-soldier-military-uniforms.jpg

Deustchland uber alles, m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tell all the peds to fúck off out the cycle path while you're at it. Especially jogger w@nkbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I live on a main street, no garden, just out the door into the path. I've come so close to being mangled in bikes a couple of times as I leave my house. The cyclists just speed off, no chance to even yell abuse at them, gone in a blink. If it were an elderly person or young child walking out the door they would be seriously injured. Can't wait to catch one of the cyclists. Might drag them in to the house, strap them to the rocking chair and torture them with Daniel O Donnell or the like. ( I'd leave whilst it played, obviously.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

If your cycling on the footpath and not a child you deserve to be cloths-lined and i'm a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They love this on the East Link.

This is due to the fact that the road up from ringsend has a cycle path that merges onto the footpath on the bridge, and the drop down to the road is about a foot or more. And its narrow and busy, so there is now space to get o to the road, so people plough onwards in the footpath

• Site Banned Posts: 8 Ethelred the unready

Irish motorists are reckless drivers driving well above the 50k/p.h limits through towns. cycling on the path is the only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What infuriates me about any of these discussions are the blanket "cyclists" statements. Can you at least phrase it as "some cyclists"?

I know there are plenty of bad cyclists out there, but don't tar them all with the same brush. It really doesn't help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Footpads OP
    Footpads!!!!!

Just can't get the WUM's these days.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055434174/1/#post58147437

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

They aren't in the way, they have equal rights to road usage along with motor vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's pretty simple: You're a dickhead if you cycle on the footpath. If you don't want to cycle on the road then don't use a bike.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone older than around 10-12 should be cycling on the road or on designated cycle paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Didn't have this problem when it was all just fields..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

As it happens I'll soon be purchasing an electric scooter to get around town, but I'd never be so inconsiderate to pedestrians as to have them try and manoeuver around me, it's far easier just to use the roads on the premise that vehicle drivers are bound to be more vigilant than pedestrians.

Hope you have it registered, taxed and insured and hold the correct catogory of licence when you use it.

If its not a invalid carriage, the Garda will take it off you as they are classed as MPVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I think the shared cycle/footpath confuses some and then they assume that ALL footpaths can be cycled on.

Add to the fact that it is legal to cycle on footpaths in, for example Poland, some may be unaware that it's not legal here. (not that it's any way enforced)
    No signage or anything to inform that normal footpaths are not to be cycled on hardly helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I would like to cycle on the footpaths in my street. Unfortunately the whole width is already taken by illegally parked cars. Now I need to slalom through all the parents with prams who insist on walking in the middle of the road. Very inconsiderate of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

bigar wrote: »
    I would like to cycle on the footpaths in my street. Unfortunately the whole width is already taken by illegally parked cars. Now I need to slalom through all the parents with prams who insist on walking in the middle of the road. Very inconsiderate of them.

Complain to the council and they'll ticket the cars, used to happen opposite my house until the cars got ticketed.

Now no one parks on the footpath.

Advertisement