Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl "scared" after hijab attack

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

According to BBC report attacker described as Asian, which in North America generally means East Asian.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42671385

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,695 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

mike_ie wrote: »
    There's also the simple possibility that the guy had mental issues, which isn't beyond the scope of what's being described here. And far worse crimes have been committed against children in far more public places and times than given above.
    Agreed 100%. That covers the possbility that it happened.

What next needs to be considered are the other facts as stated by the child, in order to discover the truth, whatever it may be.

Of particular interest are the pulling down of her hood to access her hijab, a single 12" incision made in motion on two separate occasions while wearing gloves, nobody from the crowd drawn to the cries of a screaming girl, etc.

To those protesting that this is an anti-Muslims thread, this is utterly untrue. I've had, and continue to have many Muslim friends and they're the nicest people I've ever met.

To clarify: My 'intention' in starting this thread was to provide a point of view from someone with particular life experience. If anyone out there has other life experience they would like to bring to the discussion, perhaps pointing out a blind spot that I may have in this case, or something I haven't considered, I'd love to hear it.

I'm aware this is an uncomfortable issue for some, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have discussions about uncomfortable issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

FTA69 wrote: »
    Exactly, even if this is a hoax (everything is possible) you can be sure there are countless real examples of Muslims in America being abused in the street.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Attacks and abuse thrown at women in Islamic dress are common in the U.K. And have increased massively in recent years. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that similar stuff occurs in the US considering the xenophobia being stoked there.

This was in Canada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Omackeral wrote: »
    This was in Canada

Outrage transcends reading the actual article.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shield wrote: »
    Agreed 100%. That covers the possbility that it happened.

What next needs to be considered are the other facts as stated by the child, in order to discover the truth, whatever it may be.

Of particular interest are the pulling down of her hood to access her hijab, a single 12" incision made in motion on two separate occasions while wearing gloves, nobody from the crowd drawn to the cries of a screaming girl, etc.

To those protesting that this is an anti-Muslims thread, this is utterly untrue. I've had, and continue to have many Muslim friends and they're the nicest people I've ever met.

To clarify: My 'intention' in starting this thread was to provide a point of view from someone with particular life experience. If anyone out there has other life experience they would like to bring to the discussion, perhaps pointing out a blind spot that I may have in this case, or something I haven't considered, I'd love to hear it.

I'm aware this is an uncomfortable issue for some, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have discussions about uncomfortable issues.

Its very weird and strange that you are discussing the evidence when we (the general public) dont know what the evidence is. You keep saying no eye witnesses came forward and that noone from the crowd reacted. How do you know that exactly?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Rezident

Well since islam is killing people and blowing stuff up over perceived anti-muslim symbols (e.g. cartoons, or not being islamic, or even just being a different type of muslim!) then they can expect muslim symbols to be attacked in return. It's human nature, and I'm sure plenty of people are sick of their barbaric and backwards nonsense by now.

Why do they have to wear the hats anyway? What a bizarre rule! Think about it! Is it to cover up women because of the general islamic oppression of women or because if islamic men even see the sight of a women's flesh - you-know-what's probably going to happen to the woman - and of course it would be her own fault in islamic 'culture' for not covering herself up? Solved by 'honour killings' and the like. The religion of Peace!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Regardless of your views on religion I think we can all agree that only monsters and cowards attack children.

If you are that badly offended by the religion in question at least be big enough to take it out on some one your own size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What is the point of the thread exactly, that you believe the girl is lying? It's not clear at all from your OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Maybe this thread belongs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

No. I don't have extensive police experience starting threads in After Hours.

I had to draw on my extensive Boards experience for that.

I don't have to guess where you got your knobhead comments on the starting of this thread.

if you are a police person, then there is very serious questions to be asked of your posting,
    you do realise that the first thing you do when a child/man/woman reports abuse is to believe them.?

your post suggests that you are both judge and jury on this experience for the child

have you just comprised your role in the police service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'm struggling to see why a minor assault, even if on a child, where nobody was physically harmed, and on another continent, is worthy of a thread here.

Hint: she's one of them dastardly brownfolk
    me_irl wrote: »
    Maybe this thread belongs here.

Or maybe here?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Hint: she's one of them dastardly brownfolk

Or maybe here?

I'm not sure how you are conflating the issue of race and religion here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Rezident wrote: »
    Well since islam is killing people and blowing stuff up over perceived anti-muslim symbols (e.g. cartoons, or not being islamic, or even just being a different type of muslim!) then they can expect muslim symbols to be attacked in return. It's human nature, and I'm sure plenty of people are sick of their barbaric and backwards nonsense by now.

Why do they have to wear the hats anyway? What a bizarre rule! Think about it! Is it to cover up women because of the general islamic oppression of women or because if islamic men even see the sight of a women's flesh - you-know-what's probably going to happen to the woman - and of course it would be her own fault in islamic 'culture' for not covering herself up? Solved by 'honour killings' and the like. The religion of Peace!

A great advertisement for our liberal values there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

The claim made by the child in question is that a man walked up behind her at 8:30am while she was walking to school, pulled down the hood of her winter jacket, and started cutting her hijab with a scissors. She screamed and he ran away. She hurried across the road with her brother where they followed a crowd of people "to be safe".

The man then came up behind her again moments later and resumed cutting her hijab. When she noticed him behind her cutting her hijab again, "he just smiled and ran away".

The man managed to cut the hijab twelve inches.

From extensive policing experience, none of this makes sense. The time, the setting, the assault, the risk of getting caught, the return of the smiling man "wearing all black" despite the crowd, no eyewitnesses from the crowd, no alarm raised, and so on, and so on.

For all the above reasons and many more, I don't believe this happened, or it has been greatly, greatly exaggerated.

TAQIYYA

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Odhinn wrote: »
    A great advertisement for our liberal values there.

Speak for yourself. I personally find all religion to be backwards nonsense, as do many I know. Barbaric might be pushing it a tad though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Police now say that this incident didn't happen
    Toronto police say an incident involving an 11-year-old girl who claimed to have her hijab cut by a stranger on the street, "did not happen."

On Friday, Toronto police said they were investigating a report that a young girl was attacked by a man with scissors, as she was walking to school in the east end of the city.

According to officers at the time, the 11-year-old girl was on her way to Pauline Johnson Public School in Scarborough, when she felt something and turned around to see a man trying to cut her hijab with a pair of scissors. She said she screamed and ran away, but the man returned less than 10 minutes later and tried to cut it once again.

In speaking with CTV News on Monday, Toronto Police Service spokesperson Mark Pugash said investigators reached the conclusion after sifting through the evidence

We had, as everyone knows, allegations of an extremely serious crime on Friday which we investigated -- we had a team of investigators who put together a significant amount of evidence and they came to the conclusion that the events that were alleged did not happen,” Pugash said.

“We have spoken with (the girl), we have spoken to all the people the public would expect us to speak to in the course of a thorough investigation, and when we put all of that together -- we looked at it very closely -- and that was the conclusion that we came to.”

Pugash said police wanted to make the update public as soon as possible.

“That’s why we put that information out as quickly as we could,” he said. “It… quite understandably reached an enormous amount of media and social media attention and we thought it was important that get our officers’ determination out as soon as we could so that people could have an accurate understanding of something that caused significant concern

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,695 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Now what we need to know now is why two siblings lied to the media, the police and their school about something that verifiably didn't happen.
    ceadaoin. wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yikes....why would she do this?
    Parents pushing her into it?

Police Time and money wasted as well grrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

gmisk wrote: »
    Yikes....why would she do this?
    Parents pushing her into it?

Police Time and money wasted as well grrrr!

Maybe her hijab got torn and she told her parents a lie and they went; 'Right, Hate-crime! Off to the cops with us!' and she felt she was in so deep she had to keep lying.

Or maybe her parents pushed her into it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 mcfitness20

lads if you can't wrap your head around america you can forget about canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

quintana76 wrote: »
    There have been several so called anti Islam attacks that were proved fake over the last year or so. Would not be surprised if this proves to be the case here. Justin Trudeau, never one to miss a chance to virtue signal has condemned it. Hope he ends up with egg all over his smug face.

Looks like I was right. Fake news. There have been a lot of these false attacks reported as true. Trudeau the clown jumped on the the wrong bandwagon this time.

Toronto police are disputing an 11-year-old girl's claim that her hijab was cut by a scissors-wielding man as she walked to school last week.

Toronto Police spokesman Mark Pugash said Monday an extensive investigation was conducted and police concluded it did not happen.

The sixth-grader, her mother and her younger brother held a news conference at her school on Friday and Khawlah Noman said she was walking to school with her younger brother when a man came up behind her, pulled off her jacket hood and started cutting the bottom of her hijab. She said she turned around, screamed and the man ran away. She also said the man returned a short time later and continued to cut her hijab from behind before he smiled and ran away.

Her mother called on police to treat it as a hate crime.

The story made international headlines and drew public condemnation from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm not fan of any religion especially the 'extreme' ones, and I'm definitely against the hijab.

But any attack on a child is sickly and cowardly.

*Assuming this is of course true.

Why the hell are you "against" the hijab? What does that even mean?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I knew it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Chrongen wrote: »
    Why the hell are you "against" the hijab? What does that even mean?

Are you "for" it?

Spot on OP

Toronto police say scissor attack on a girl's hijab 'did not happen'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42695319

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I don't get it.
    According to officers at the time, the 11-year-old girl was on her way to Pauline Johnson Public School in Scarborough, when she felt something and turned around to see a man trying to cut her hijab with a pair of scissors. She said she screamed and ran away, but the man returned less than 10 minutes later and tried to cut it once again.

We had, as everyone knows, allegations of an extremely serious crime on Friday which we investigated -- we had a team of investigators who put together a significant amount of evidence and they came to the conclusion that the events that were alleged did not happen.
    So they had a team of investigators working on this extremely serious crime. Wonder how rape or murder is classified if this was an extremely serious crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Kivaro wrote: »
    I don't get it.

We had, as everyone knows, allegations of an extremely serious crime on Friday which we investigated -- we had a team of investigators who put together a significant amount of evidence and they came to the conclusion that the events that were alleged did not happen.
    So they had a team of investigators working on this extremely serious crime. Wonder how rape or murder is classified if this was an extremely serious crime?
    If you had kids you would consider a knife attack on an 11 year old as an extremely serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

baylah17 wrote: »
    If you had kids you would consider a knife attack on an 11 year old as an extremely serious.

A knife attack on anyone is an extremely serious event. But what has that to do with anything?

This story is made up.
    And the made-up story mentions nothing about a knife.
    The made-up story involves a man (who never existed) using a scissors to cut a piece of cloth (which never happened). The made-up story mentions nothing about a knife attack.

I know you are offended, but you should scale back on the drama a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

oh dear....

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    Spot on OP

Toronto police say scissor attack on a girl's hijab 'did not happen'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42695319
    Yes, it was a good call, but I got slammed for even daring to start the thread in the first place. AH has been modded incredibly well of late, so I took a gamble and thought it might be a good place to start a difficult discussion on the facts as stated.

Boy, was I wrong!

Advertisement