Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic bikes - thoughts from anyone using them

Options
  • 10-01-2018 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Am considering getting an electronic bike for commuting to work. 12km, 2 inclines on the route.
    Just looking for opinions from anyone who uses one to commute please? I haven't tried one out yet but will soon.
    Cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't use one but a guy in work has tried them out and thinks they are epic and I constantly bump in to a guy doing at least 15km each way and he is happy out, tips along without a sweat, comfortably.

I am all for the non electric way but if your not going to do it that way, e-bikes look like a great way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't use one but a guy in work has tried them out and thinks they are epic and I constantly bump in to a guy doing at least 15km each way and he is happy out, tips along without a sweat, comfortably.

I am all for the non electric way but if your not going to do it that way, e-bikes look like a great way to go.

Can ye get E bikes on the BTW?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Can ye get E bikes on the BTW?

Yes, although most of the decent ones are well in excess of 1000euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I can see these becoming an issue, the more and more of them that appear. The speeds some people zip along in the cycle lane can be dangerous enough to 'conventional' cyclists, most of whom are cycling far slower.

I'm watching this space with interest to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I have an ebike for my 10k commute - no recent experience of cycling before getting it and knew I wouldn't manage on a regular commuting bike. Am using it daily, even in the cold/wet. Love it. I spent over €2k on mine so it wasn't cheap but well worth it for the health benefits and (for me) a faster overall commute. The only annoying thing for me is that the power assist cuts out at 25-27kph - a 30kph threshold would be better but that's the EU for you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

1bryan wrote: »
    I can see these becoming an issue, the more and more of them that appear. The speeds some people zip along in the cycle lane can be dangerous enough to 'conventional' cyclists, most of whom are cycling far slower.

I sometimes use my wife's e-bike, the A2B Ferber
    http://www.wearea2b.com/index.php/us/e-bike-collection/US-ferber
    I'm often overtaken by conventional cyclists, I do overtake some people particularly at traffic lights but generally I'm tipping along not trying to set any Strava records.
    The max assist speed is 25kph so it's not exactly rocket-speed. We find the A2B good, we've a 15km cycle and it works well for that. You need to remove the battery when you lock up as replacing them is seriously expensive, buying a second charger would be good so you can charge in work too if you're concerned about range, you should be ok with a 12km journey but with the hills you might use up a good bit going in.
    They're well worth getting for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'd like to try one, especially on the home leg of my 16km each way commute.
    The good looking mountain bike type are very expensive...motorbike expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

homer911 wrote: »
    I have an ebike for my 10k commute - no recent experience of cycling before getting it and knew I wouldn't manage on a regular commuting bike. Am using it daily, even in the cold/wet. Love it. I spent over €2k on mine so it wasn't cheap but well worth it for the health benefits and (for me) a faster overall commute. The only annoying thing for me is that the power assist cuts out at 25-27kph - a 30kph threshold would be better but that's the EU for you..

Hi,
    What e-bike do you have please?

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I average only about 25kph when cycling my hilly commute (~450m climbing over 32km) and spend about 40% of the time climbing at an average of about 19kph. If that climbing average rose to 25kph I'd reduce my overall commute time by 10%. That's a saving of about 7.5 minutes over an hour and a quarter, assuming my descending speed wasn't any slower.

That's not enough time saving to bother with an e-bike.

On the other hand I'd use less energy and might do the journey more often.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I could definitely see myself getting an e-bike at some point, I know a few people who use them and they love them. They can make a commute a doddle, and they often don't need to wear any different clothing to what they'll wear in the office (weather being a big factor here though).

There are regulations on the speed of e-bikes. You're seeing people on unregulated bikes. I often see them too, even passing me doing 40km/h on my commute home.

• Advertisement

There are regulations on the speed of e-bikes. You're seeing people on unregulated bikes. I often see them too, even passing me doing 40km/h on my commute home.
    The guy I meet regularly is tipping 30kmph going up hill in Bray. Maybe it is him, but i am skeptical.

His is a cube, for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

The max assist speed is 25kph so it's not exactly rocket-speed.

so, as someone who has never used an e-bike can you explain this to me. Is it the case that, above 25kph, the battery cuts out? Or is it that you're on your own after that? So any power above 25kph is generated by you?

If the latter, then you could still get up some fast speeds if your contribution only really kicks in above 25kph.

Would be curious to try one out but couldn't ever see myself getting one.

Halfords let you test out one of theirs if you call in, it's not great in comparison to other brands but gives you a good idea of the push you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I have one. I bought it 2 years ago. Barely gets any use.
    Ill be selling it soon after coming to this realization.

It really all depends on fit for purpose V your lifestyle.

Some pros i've found:
    • Easily cycle within the distance without much effort if prefered.
    • Some areas become accessible because of it. I, not unfit, but not quite fit, can cycle up the hell fire club route on it. It takes the 'im' and leaves the 'possible'.
    • It's quite fast. It's easily used as transport.
    • For going to work (where you can also recharge the battery), its great, as it leaves you quite none sweaty depending on the mode you use.
    • Acceleration is quite substantial. One rotation of the pedals, and your flying ahead of all the others, so starting from traffic lights i found is alot safer as it gives me more control over where i am in relation to others.

Some bad points:
    • The distance is less than i had hoped for. Some of this is definitely battery degradation, and other part is the tech i have is about 5-6 years old.
    • It's heavy unless you are spending alot of money. I dont find it feasible to cycle without the battery having power.
    • The fear of leaving a nice bike parked somewhere is open to abuse. Scumbags love wrecking good stuff that is different.
    • Having to recharge it between uses can be a bit of a pain!

If you have a repeating pattern, like commuting and can charge. Its very cool.
    Or if you want to cycle in beautiful areas that are difficult, but have a car to bring the bike there. Its great too.
    It requires planning, which is a bit of a loss to biking.

ps: If people want a go of it for testing their desire of a ebike. There is an underground car park in my apartment block in tallaght, easy to bring my bike down if you want try an ebike. location @ Tallaght, Square area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

so, as someone who has never used an e-bike can you explain this to me. Is it the case that, above 25kph, the battery cuts out? Or is it that you're on your own after that? So any power above 25kph is generated by you?

If the latter, then you could still get up some fast speeds if your contribution only really kicks in above 25kph.

The magic phrase when it comes to E-bikes is "pedal assist". That means that the bike battery/motor gives you a boost as you pedal until you reach the assist cut-off speed point and above that speed it's all on you. So if you have got a really steep hill in front of you for example, you still have to pedal but you'll be assisted. If you're on a nice flat stretch of road, you'll be propelled forward as you pedal towards the cut-off speed at a faster rate than you might otherwise achieve on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If e-bike racing was to become a thing, would it fall under the governance of UCI or FIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Electric bike not electronic bike

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As I understand it, all assistance cuts out at 25kph.

I would prefer an extra 250W everywhere than 500W up to 25kph and then nothing, but that's the law. :(

Commuting at an average of 40kph would make my motorbike completely redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I saw someone testing on in car park outside Halford's and that's what gave me the idea.

For me I 'might' cycle to work more if it's less effort; in the morning I find it hard to motivate myself to cycle when the car is an easier option. And then have to shower, change etc. I'm going to try out one in Halford's this weekend to get an idea of how helpful they are.

I'd be looking at the Gov scheme so would be limited to €1,000 unless I can buy one that's more expensive & pay the difference myself (probably can't do that).

Thanks for the offer Manonboard but I'm living in Galway.

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'd be looking at the Gov scheme so would be limited to €1,000 unless I can buy one that's more expensive & pay the difference myself (probably can't do that).

You can definitely do that unless your employer says no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Hi,
    What e-bike do you have please?

Cheers,
    Pa.

A 2016 LaPierre Overvolt Shaper http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lapierre-overvolt-shaper-e-bike-2016/rp-prod139824
    There has been some refinements with more recent models including integrated lights - this uses the mid-mounted Bosch motor system.
    I got mine from Cycle Superstore in Tallaght

2018 Model: http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2018/e-bikes/lifestyle-e-bike/overvolt-shaper-400-0
    Lapierre 2018 ebikes: http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2018/e-bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

See attached image. In max power mode (3 in my case), the power starts to taper off at 23-24 km/hr. This can sometimes lead to a jerky ride. At power mode 2 & 1, its a lot smoother as there is a more gradual taper off of power. As far as I can see, your pedal contribution always counts in terms of reducing battery use and therefore extending the range but there are times when it doesn't appear to make any difference. Your pedaling makes more difference (and can be felt) at the lower power settings and can significantly extend the range. (Bafang rear hub motor)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I'm going to try out one in Halford's this weekend to get an idea of how helpful they are.

If you do purchase, be sure to avail of the six weeks free service and get them to check and tighten any loose spokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭cycle4fun

True, I nearly got knocked down by a yuppie with one in D4 a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Lumen wrote: »

I would prefer an extra 250W everywhere than 500W up to 25kph and then nothing, but that's the law.
    That's the EU requirement for a "pedelec" which is all you can get here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws
    Pedelec wrote:
    "Cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25km/h (15.5mph) or if the cyclist stops pedaling.
    You would get up to 32 km/hr on a USA model e-bike.
    Or if you modified the chip in a pedelec you'd get a higher speed, which would of course be illegal and not condoned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

I have a Carrera Crossfire E from Halfords. Absolutely love it! Though I wish I'd waited for the newer Crossfuse as it has the Bosch mid-drive system. I use mine for a 40km commute along the Waterford greenway and can't fault it. I'd recommend anyone try out a pedelec.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

recedite wrote: »
    Lumen wrote: »

I would prefer an extra 250W everywhere than 500W up to 25kph and then nothing, but that's the law.
    That's the EU requirement for a "pedelec" which is all you can get here.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws
    Pedelec wrote:
    "Cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW, of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25km/h (15.5mph) or if the cyclist stops pedaling.
    You would get up to 32 km/hr on a USA model e-bike.
    Or if you modified the chip in a pedelec you'd get a higher speed, which would of course be illegal and not condoned at all.
    They do sell pedelecs that go up to 45kmh we thought any modding.

Have a look at greenaer.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CyclingWalrus

For what its worth I'd consider myself fairly fit but could never motivate myself to get on the bike first thing in the morning as in the first 1 km I had a steep incline straight away. I got a Cube electric bike and I have no excuses now. I've put on 1800 km since June and my commute is 24km each way. Without the pedal assist I know I wouldn't have motivated myself to do even one day week. Also mountain bike / hybrid style was a lot more comfortable and safe for travelling through Dublin City (pot holes / tracks etc)
    Get one and I believe you will never look back.
    P.S. you'll find you will only use the pedal assist on hills, as on the flat you will probably be using your own steam (over 25kph)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    Electric bike not electronic bike
    at the risk of derailing the thread, why?
    according to the definitions in this article, electronic is a better term in some circumstances:

http://www.differencebetween.info/difference-between-electrical-and-electronics

• Advertisement

1-10.jpg
    /discussion

Advertisement