Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influencers over-editing photos in Social Media/Cyber-bullying accusations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

ace_irl wrote: »
    Was that the pharmacy one? I don't really get why you would go on a tour over lip glosses, not like she was signing the box off them.

I wonder if she'll address this all at her workshop talk thing she's doing? Maybe she'll keep this relevant just to drum up publicity for her event.

It's a terribly cynical point of view, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeh the pharmacy one. She was in Bradley's in Blanchardstown and they no longer stock her products.

I'd put money on that workshop being cancelled. She'll have a cold/flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don't think the workshop has sold enough tickets. I'd be very surprised if she went ahead with it. When is it meant to be again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    She must think her followers are absolute idiots.

Haven't people posted on this forum that a lot of blogger's followers are idiots and they need to be protected?

Is there any issue with her fake lips or just the fake photographs? Isn't her whole pitch about being fake to a certain degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Effects wrote: »
    Haven't people posted on this forum that a lot of blogger's followers are idiots and they need to be protected?

Is there any issue with her fake lips or just the fake photographs? Isn't her whole pitch about being fake to a certain degree?

I think its disingenuous to tell your followers you haven't had any cosmetic procedures, and that your plump lips are as a result of good lipstick, and then later admit you've been getting fillers for years.

Her whole pitch was that she was once a curvy plus size model, and transformed her physique completely using her #fitfam lifestyle, plugging her turkey burgers, and protein shakers in the process. She offered lifestyle workshops for €65 a head for those aspiring to make a similar change to their bodies.

It has now transpired she isn't the size she portrays herself to be online at all, and that she is selling a lie. That's why people have a problem with the fake photographs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Do they deny the fillers and say it's a good lipstick? That's insane.
    I follow MUF and Sue, MUF has always said her lips were pumped. I used to see loads of comments to Sue asking her how she got her boobs to stay in place in tops (so weird) but she never answered them. Maybe they're fake, but she never claimed it was a good bra or anything.

I'm of the opinion that they don't have to declare whether or not they've had work done unless they're saying it's a product that is the reason for the plump lips or whatever it may be.

An old pic from April last year with another worrying caption.

n31KFLk.jpg

Bad lighting? Bad photoshop more like.

I follow MUF and Sue, MUF has always said her lips were pumped. I used to see loads of comments to Sue asking her how she got her boobs to stay in place in tops (so weird) but she never answered them. Maybe they're fake, but she never claimed it was a good bra or anything.

I'm of the opinion that they don't have to declare whether or not they've had work done unless they're saying it's a product that is the reason for the plump lips or whatever it may be.

No she hasn't. She denied having them done for years until she did a big reveal around the time of her book launch. I found this baffling since she had blogged about it but then tried to take the blog post down but it can still be seen on google archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

anna080 wrote: »
    Was fairy for real with the "before" and "after" thing? Like ya we all know how to filter we all have Instagram what's your point? Totally missed the mark again as per.

I actually still can’t believe she called them two photos before and after edit they are both edited she still looks nothing like that in real life that was a change of filter

How is she the only one that doesn’t get it all the controversy is about her a lot of influencers got the memo she is still faking her reality

Someone please help her she’s on a sinking ship her mother is as bad as her so she’s no use surely her management will pull her aside and advise her or let her go if her behaviour continues

Harvey nicols cannot allow her body confidence workshop go ahead it’s an insult to their customers to have someone who photoshops the way she does host this event

Kerrigans need to let her go she is advertising their food whilst photoshopping her body size

Tesco are paying her to promote gym gear that she’s not even wearing in the gym

Do these companies not realise we are sick of it

And where is the ASAI when it comes to this false advertising serious changes need to be implemented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Cria wrote: »
    And where is the ASAI when it comes to this false advertising serious changes need to be implemented

That's a good point - is she misleading her followers so much that it now constitutes false advertising?? (obviously referring to sponsored content and not just vanity selfies)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I was thinking, the Harvey Nics thing might sell out because people will be curious to see what she looks like in real life and if she'll address these issues. Also, I'm sure she's got her fans who will make more of an effort to go now and fawn after all this "bullying".

To be honest, if HN hasn't cancelled by now, I doubt they will. I definitely think it will get a better turn out than her Pixie Pout "tour".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Sue originally made reference to why her boobs seemed bigger. Allegedly down to the fact that she went back on the pill which allegedly always makes her boobs and arms bigger! Total ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Thanks SB and ratmouse. I wasn't a fairy follower (LOL) until after the book so didn't know she denied it. Sue definitely has (didn't know about the pill excuse) but I don't think it looks great. Grand in photos but when she's speaking between the lips and the teeth it just looks awkward to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 littlefables

While i totally think certain influencers are royally taking the P.. Does anyone else feel that the NON influencers on Snapchat are taking the criticism way too far and are actually looking really bad themselves now!? I was shocked at one of two whose snaps I look at now and then (everyday :-)) and realised that they are actually quite nasty, These are grown women with young kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think Sue has been asked a number of times, oh what bra are you wearing when she wears certain tops with good cleavage, she's been asked to do a blog post on what bras to wear with what tops etc.
    She's also been asked a number of times about her lips and she just implies that it's lip liner and lip gloss.

While i totally think certain influencers are royally taking the P.. Does anyone else feel that the NON influencers on Snapchat are taking the criticism way too far and are actually looking really bad themselves now!? I was shocked at one of two whose snaps I look at now and then (everyday :-)) and realised that they are actually quite nasty, These are grown women with young kids etc.

Who are they?

What's a non influencer and why would you follow one

anna080 wrote: »
    What's a non influencer and why would you follow one

I guess they mean someone who's a blogger with a small following?

There's been loads of people giving themselves shoutouts on the Mas/Galz page

"Hey follow me I'm talking about the influencer drama" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

FYI LittleFables you must have 50 posts to post in this forum. We are looking at changing this soon but until then, this rule stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

ratmouse wrote: »
    Sue originally made reference to why her boobs seemed bigger. Allegedly down to the fact that she went back on the pill which allegedly always makes her boobs and arms bigger! Total ****e

And her contour palette!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 littlefables

FYI LittleFables you must have 50 posts to post in this forum. We are looking at changing this soon but until then, this rule stands.

50 posts? Why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

50 posts? Why so?

Because that is the rule in the charter. Mainly to stop trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

As a man who doesn't aspire to have full pouty lips like that, they do not look natural at all and are completely overdone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Having happened upon this thread I hope the regular posters don't mind me throwing my tuppence worth in... I must say I find the whole thing terribly sad and in parts disturbing.

I'm flabbergasted that the whole "Influencer" thing actually ever became a thing - and I am shocked to read here just how much clout people lent to their opinions. I'm not shocked to find out they are mostly charlatans but I'm certainly taken aback by the lengths some of them seem to have gone to - photoshopped pics dropping several dress sizes; Cheap goods bought from China and marked up 1000%; Horrid, unsubstantiated things said about ex partners to garner sympathy..... really shocking stuff. This thread was like a car crash, I just could not look away!

As a father to a teenage girl, it greatly concerns me. I know my daughter follows a lot of MUAs on snapchat and Instagram. I am a bloke, so I asked my sister (early 30s) about this. She did seem to feel that people are beginning to see through the Influencer fad. She herself has unfollowed all Bloggers, Influencers etc - and she would have followed several at one stage, I'm sure.

All that aside, despite the fact she appears to not just be a compulsive liar, but a complete fantasist - I actually feel quite sorry for the person calling herself MakeUpFairy... she honestly seems to have some serious issues. I'm sure greed has played its part in what she's got up to - but unfortunately I also think it goes much deeper than that. We're talking about a person who doesn't much like herself, from what I can see.

Excellent post above ^.

I suppose the biggest worry is that these concerns and bad business practices have been highlighted to the people in question over the years, but the blogger just blocked the person rather than addressing the concerns.

Followers were then frustrated because they weren't being listened to, so we took to forums such as this one to voice our worries. The bloggers then sent cease and desist letters to Boards, threatening legal action.
    This was despite us having concrete proof of the claims we were making.

There was a period of about 3-4 months here last year (before this forum was made) when ALL talk of any type of blogging was outright banned here while Boards made a decision regarding the threatened legal action.
    There was also a period where we were allowed talk about blogging, but weren't allowed mention any names.
    Could you imagine the users of the soccer forum trying to navigate a conversation where they have to talk in codes because they aren't allowed name players?!

These women have stifled all discussion and criticism while labelling anyone who questions their practices as jealous, pathetic haters.

In hindsight its actually mental that they even had the power to do that in the first place but thankfully the tides are finally turning and people are wising up.

A lot of it is certainly down to greed and ego on their part, but this is going to be their downfall.
    They are arrogant enough that they believe their followers are stupid and will continue to support them, but the more that comes out about them ripping people off (selling something that costs €5 from China for €150?!) the more people that are becoming disillusioned by it all.

Young women in particular are very vulnerable to buying into these "lifestyles" and that's why its SO important that the public are aware of these tactics, before they hand their cash over.

What they are doing is extremely wrong and dangerous when so much of their following is impressionable teenagers. I would hate to be a teen growing up in this era of social media.

I just love how the tides are turning and for the first time in a long time, maybe ever? the focus is on influencer followers and not only have they been given the mic to speak but they're actually being listened to. Hopefully these influencers will learn that you can only smother discussion for so long before it starts to erupt elsewhere- and don't be surprised if it's more powerful and influential than you ever thought it could be.

And also, regarding the Bullying accusations, So Sue Me was one of the first to claim she was being bullied at the weekend when photos of her before and after her cosmetic procedures came to light.
    She said she and the other bloggers were going to unite to get forums such as this one shut down, and to watch what the power of her influence was going to do.

It has now transpired that a couple of years ago Sue made a blog post herself, comparing pics of well known celebs (Christina Aguilera, Fergie etc) before and after cosmetic surgery.
    She used extremely offensive language while describing how these people look, using words such as "ugly", "disgusting" and she even referred to two people as looking like "trannies".
    The same woman who claims to have been bullied at the weekend.

This was just discovered this morning, and shock horror, Sue has deleted the offending blog post. Total damage control at play. There are still screenshots and it can be viewed in cached mode, though.

I find it the height of hypocrisy that she used such disgusting language describing other people on her blog, yet claimed to be bullied when people were saying NICE things last weekend. About how they all looked better before the cosmetic surgery and better without the facetune/photoshop. So apparently saying someone looks better without photoshop = bullying, but calling someone a "Tranny" is ok?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Having happened upon this thread I hope the regular posters don't mind me throwing my tuppence worth in... I must say I find the whole thing terribly sad and in parts disturbing.

I'm flabbergasted that the whole "Influencer" thing actually ever became a thing - and I am shocked to read here just how much clout people lent to their opinions. I'm not shocked to find out they are mostly charlatans but I'm certainly taken aback by the lengths some of them seem to have gone to - photoshopped pics dropping several dress sizes; Cheap goods bought from China and marked up 1000%; Horrid, unsubstantiated things said about ex partners to garner sympathy..... really shocking stuff. This thread was like a car crash, I just could not look away!

As a father to a teenage girl, it greatly concerns me. I know my daughter follows a lot of MUAs on snapchat and Instagram. I am a bloke, so I asked my sister (early 30s) about this. She did seem to feel that people are beginning to see through the Influencer fad. She herself has unfollowed all Bloggers, Influencers etc - and she would have followed several at one stage, I'm sure.

All that aside, despite the fact she appears to not just be a compulsive liar, but a complete fantasist - I actually feel quite sorry for the person calling herself MakeUpFairy... she honestly seems to have some serious issues. I'm sure greed has played its part in what she's got up to - but unfortunately I also think it goes much deeper than that. We're talking about a person who doesn't much like herself, from what I can see.
    I'm delighted that you have dropped in. For a long time we've been seen (either by the bloggers themselves or indeed by boards) as jealous haters and have been accused of being bitchy. It's great to have an outside view point, especially from a father. All we wanted was some transparency and to be able to trust them. I don't care if they've had cosmetic procedures or bought their product from a catalogue and slapped their logo on it. I do care if I ask a genuine question that I won't instantly be blocked for daring to ask for clarification.

I'm old enough to be cynical about everything, but I was so naive. I hadn't a breeze. I always thought altered photos would always be dodgy photoshop. I had a look at the Facetune app and was astounded at how easy it is to completely alter your image without affecting the background. I actually worry about young women (and men) being taken in by all of this. I'm old enough not to let it affect me too much, but I can see how the younger generations might see this being the norm and that really scares me. What really set my hair on end was that when this all blew up at the weekend, "Ireland's Influencers" came on social media claiming it was bullying. It wasn't and since then a few backtracked the next day. This is worrying in that it actually belittles real bullying.

Advertisement