Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

soirish wrote:
    Curious why would one use a card. The 3.99% commission would eat up a lot of your profit, besides SEPA deposits are free.

Time

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

soirish wrote: »
    Curious why would one use a card. The 3.99% commission would eat up a lot of your profit, besides SEPA deposits are free.

When a cryptocurrency might jump 50% in the space of a few hours and then stagnate or slip back over the course of several days losing 4% on commission is nothing compared to missing out by having to wait for a SEPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

benjamin d wrote: »
    When a cryptocurrency might jump 50% in the space of a few hours and then stagnate or slip back over the course of several days losing 4% on commission is nothing compared to missing out by having to wait for a SEPA.

That's FOMO (fear of missing out)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

It's why it makes sense to pay instantly and absorb the extra charge. Increases happen quickly in crypto and come in sharply defined bursts. I feel like you're deliberately not understanding this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's like buying a fast pass at a theme park. You pay a bit extra but it let's you skip the queue and get in the action much quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No, it's not. I've seen announcements or pieces of news and correctly predicted a price increase of 10%+ coming within the next hour. It's worth the 4% hit to take a 6%+ profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

GarIT wrote: »

No, it's not. I've seen announcements or pieces of news and correctly predicted a price increase of 10%+ coming within the next hour. It's worth the 4% hit to take a 6%+ profit.

5.6% :p

Where exactly did you get these tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

5.6% :p

Where exactly did you get these tips?

Reddit, Twitter, it depends. It's not necessarily tips, when a coin unexpectedly announces a big feature update you can almost be sure there will be a big price increase. The easiest and most recent example that comes to mind is the bitcoin fork cancellation. If you saw that notification early and got in you would have made a 50% profit in the time it takes to do a SEPA transfer making the 4% fee when buying with a card irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

benjamin d wrote: »

You're not missing out on anything by waiting 5 days unless you're trying to trade an event, in which case you ought to have your money already in an exchange.

Anyone who is absorbing 4% transaction fees unnecessarily and thinks nothing of it is an utter gob****e when it comes to investing and should learn that one of the most fundamental lessons in investments is to avoid fees. If you don't understand why that's important then don't think of calling yourself an investor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

marcus001 wrote: »
    You're not missing out on anything by waiting 5 days unless you're trying to trade an event, in which case you ought to have your money already in an exchange.

Anyone who is absorbing 4% transaction fees unnecessarily and thinks nothing of it is an utter gob****e when it comes to investing and should learn that one of the most fundamental lessons in investments is to avoid fees. If you don't understand why that's important then don't think of calling yourself an investor.

Stop with this preachy nonsense. There are a ton of reasons why buying with a card is worth it over pissing about with SEPA transfers. I've seen people missing out on 3-4k because they were worried about paying €300 in fees. I've also seen people lose everything because they left money on an exchange when exchanges get hacked or close up shop.

Wanting the speed and security of using your debit card is something people are willing to pay a premium for. It doesn't make them gob****es.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Bitcoin below 13k euro now..I'm gonna hold anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Bitcoin below 13k euro now..I'm gonna hold anyways
    (Rushes off to coinabse)
    Oh 13k in Euros, was getting worried there.

seannash wrote: »
    (Rushes off to coinabse)
    Oh 13k in Euros, was getting worried there.

I bought in at the ATH, it's killing me..

Its tough, especially with bitcoin stopping and starting but if you can wait it out its surely going to rise.

seannash wrote: »
    Its tough, especially with bitcoin stopping and starting but if you can wait it out its surely going to rise.

Hopefully...

I'll hold but as long as my btc isn't at what I invested at, I'm nervous about investing in other alts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

GarIT wrote:
    Reddit, Twitter, it depends. It's not necessarily tips, when a coin unexpectedly announces a big feature update you can almost be sure there will be a big price increase. The easiest and most recent example that comes to mind is the bitcoin fork cancellation. If you saw that notification early and got in you would have made a 50% profit in the time it takes to do a SEPA transfer making the 4% fee when buying with a card irrelevant.

This is exactly what FOMO is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 dQuetour

Hopefully...

I'll hold but as long as my btc isn't at what I invested at, I'm nervous about investing in other alts

Purely out of interest, do you think you'll sell if btc rises to what you paid for it. If a lot do that, there may be a temporary panic dip just after that point with retail buyers looking to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Wanting the speed and security of using your debit card is something people are willing to pay a premium for.
    Can I throw out a little modus operandi to get around the delay issues surrounding SEPA and the fee problem when using debit cards etc? This workaround may not suit everybody, but it works for me. :)

1) Buy some Ether. This is your long-term stake. (And ETH has shown an organic price increase since it's creation making you a secondary profit also).
    2) Immediately transfer the ETH to your Nano, Trezor.
    3) Whenever you spot a good buy opportunity, shift the required amount of ETH from your Trezor to the exchange. The tx fee for Eth is low, the transfer times are fast-ish. Most all exchanges now accept Eth deposits, it is now a gateway coin like Bitcoin, and most exchanges have ETH/XXXcoin pairings.

The advantages are fast tx's, low fees, and no mucking about with banks. (You should, of course, have opened as many accounts across all exchanges as possible to allow you to buy or sell at the best prevailing price, and to hop aboard any particular coin that starts an upward move.)

dQuetour wrote: »
    Purely out of interest, do you think you'll sell if btc rises to what you paid for it. If a lot do that, there may be a temporary panic dip just after that point with retail buyers looking to get out.

I don't think so. It's just peace of mind.

Basically I have 1 unit in BTC and I have another 1 unit ready to invest in alts.

I can afford to lose 2 units (would sicken me though) but as long as I still have the 1 unit in BTC I would be more at ease in going with slightly riskier alts..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

The swings in theses market are ridiculous. If you aren't prepared for that then I would get out. This kind of fluctuation is in BTC is relatively small and very normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Thanks, looks like I don't have a 3d card (ffs boi) so will have to set up the sepa..

I want to buy and hold coins (dogocoin and zcoin). Am I better off with an offline wallet. I want to buy the dogocoin for a mate and print them off.. as a payment for some work he did on my car. (they wont accept a cash payment or any payment so this is a fun thing).

I want 1 zcash and as much doggo as 200 euros can buy, I tried to join bitrix exchange and they are full at the moment (wow such happy) so where else can I buy and print these coins, thanks this thread has been really informative but I havent read from the start so apologies if people are repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

How do i get money into poloniex? Csnt see an option to fund the acount from my bank.
    Do i need to send funds via a coin transfer?
    So send case to say coinbase buy a coin type and the transfer thst coin to poloniex where it can then be used to buy whatever coin?
    Sounds awkward and posibly costly with having more transactions all costing.
    Any easy way im missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Lads I sent a portion of BTC via my Core wallet but its still unconfirmed over 12 hours later. Google seems to state this is to do with fees? Anyone else have that issue? There was a fee applied to it but I just went with what the wallet suggested.

How do i get money into poloniex? Csnt see an option to fund the acount from my bank.
    Do i need to send funds via a coin transfer?
    So send case to say coinbase buy a coin type and the transfer thst coin to poloniex where it can then be used to buy whatever coin?
    Sounds awkward and posibly costly with having more transactions all costing.
    Any easy way im missing?

No thats basically it. Buy Bitcoin Or Ethereum on coinbase and transfer to poloniex

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Did anyone manage to register and start trading on one of the Korean exchanges like Bithumb? They have some restrictions for non residents but the premium on most coins is so high it might be worth it to fly over there.

Did anyone manage to register and start trading on one of the Korean exchanges like Bithumb? They have some restrictions for non residents but the premium on most coins is so high it might be worth it to fly over there.
    Surely its all relative to where you eventually cash it out. Unless you have a Korean bank account you will have to transfer your coins back to a European wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

BitPanda's fees for transferring are awful right now.

SO what do people think about the price of bitcoin?

WIll it go back up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

SO what do people think about the price of bitcoin?

WIll it go back up?
    Yes.

Advertisement