Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

bitcoin on the way back this morning.

Still down on my initial investment at peak though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,804 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Nice sea of green across loads of coins the last two days.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Has been an unbelievable rise for the last number of weeks. Incredible. I wonder how long before another correction? Id say January will storm ahead. Refreshing Coinmarket cap seems to add about a billion every 5 mins at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Coinbase is taking forever to process my SEPA transfer .

Anyone know of a quicker route to buy bitcoin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

jon1981 wrote: »

Bittylicious. Localbitcoins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

SEPA transfers should happen within the day. I had issues with before with kraken (rather fidor bank German) slow processing my transfers. As it turned out it was the European banking system didn't trust the Irish banks and were waiting an extra day for the transfer to complete. It was only when I complained to the bank that they stopped doing this.
    This was over 2 years ago, I doubt they are still treating transfers from Irish banks this way anymore, its more likely a problem with the account reference used on the transfer

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    SEPA transfers should happen within the day. I had issues with before with kraken (rather fidor bank German) slow processing my transfers. As it turned out it was the European banking system didn't trust the Irish banks and were waiting an extra day for the transfer to complete. It was only when I complained to the bank that they stopped doing this.
    This was over 2 years ago, I doubt they are still treating transfers from Irish banks this way anymore, its more likely a problem with the account reference used on the transfer

Actually coinbase has been showing as partially degraded for the last 24 hrs. I'll give it another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Did you have the correct reference number on it? I find it's usually lodged the next working day.

And just as i posted my last message I get an email from coinbase saying deposit received !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

jon1981 wrote:

Am having the same issue and I have transferred before, this time seems to be much slower even though they claim no slowdown on inwards transfers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

august12 wrote: »
    Am having the same issue and I have transferred before, this time seems to be much slower even though they claim no slowdown on inwards transfers,

Did you notify them of an incoming SEPA payment by selecting your Euro account and getting a ref number and then filling in how much

Out of the the three payments I sent the one i didn't say was coming took the longest.

It's like as if it acts as a pre-auth.
    I could be wrong but that's my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Did you notify them of an incoming SEPA payment by selecting your Euro account and getting a ref number and then filling in how much

No, I've never notified them but on checking my euro wallet, the transfer in is at pending status, so should be processed tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

BTC on the way to 20k imo

broken thru the bear barriers at $15k and more notably $15,400

Been a great recovery in that it was slow and sideways almost. Real sign of reduced volitily

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Zuckerberg has said Facebook may use bitcoin in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Zuckerberg has said Facebook may use bitcoin in the future...

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Id be very surprised if it was Bitcoin, would more likely be Litecoin or Bitcoin cash. Or maybe something very different. Wont be any time soon.

Cant people in the US already send money through facebook?

Full statement below. I agree, bitcoin is too slow.

Every year I take on a personal challenge to learn something new. I've visited every US state, run 365 miles, built an AI for my home, read 25 books, and learned Mandarin.
    I started doing these challenges in 2009. That first year the economy was in a deep recession and Facebook was not yet profitable. We needed to get serious about making sure Facebook had a sustainable business model. It was a serious year, and I wore a tie every day as a reminder.
    Today feels a lot like that first year. The world feels anxious and divided, and Facebook has a lot of work to do -- whether it's protecting our community from abuse and hate, defending against interference by nation states, or making sure that time spent on Facebook is time well spent.
    My personal challenge for 2018 is to focus on fixing these important issues. We won't prevent all mistakes or abuse, but we currently make too many errors enforcing our policies and preventing misuse of our tools. If we're successful this year then we'll end 2018 on a much better trajectory.
    This may not seem like a personal challenge on its face, but I think I'll learn more by focusing intensely on these issues than I would by doing something completely separate. These issues touch on questions of history, civics, political philosophy, media, government, and of course technology. I'm looking forward to bringing groups of experts together to discuss and help work through these topics.
    For example, one of the most interesting questions in technology right now is about centralization vs decentralization. A lot of us got into technology because we believe it can be a decentralizing force that puts more power in people's hands. (The first four words of Facebook's mission have always been "give people the power".) Back in the 1990s and 2000s, most people believed technology would be a decentralizing force.
    But today, many people have lost faith in that promise. With the rise of a small number of big tech companies — and governments using technology to watch their citizens — many people now believe technology only centralizes power rather than decentralizes it.
    There are important counter-trends to this --like encryption and cryptocurrency -- that take power from centralized systems and put it back into people's hands. But they come with the risk of being harder to control. I'm interested to go deeper and study the positive and negative aspects of these technologies, and how best to use them in our services.
    This will be a serious year of self-improvement and I'm looking forward to learning from working to fix our issues together.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

seannash wrote: »
    He never mentions bitcoin specifically though, just cryptocurrencies

Ah sorry, I read a headline. Still, it's promising news for cryptos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

BTC on the rise again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Days like this that make you realize that any portfolio with significant alt coins holdings should have BTC as a hedge.

Days like this that make you realize that any portfolio with significant alt coins holdings should have BTC as a hedge.

one of the rules to stick by from what I've read and it makes sense. When Alts are dumped it will be mainly into BTC and Ether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

one of the rules to stick by from what I've read and it makes sense. When Alts are dumped it will be mainly into BTC and Ether.

ETH is too high, it'll probably drop when BTC starts mooning again. Same with LTC.

Saying that, I wish I'd followed my own Boards prediction 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

seannash wrote: »
    I agree, bitcoin is too slow.
    It's a victim of it's own success but remember - it's in continuous development mode.

Many entities have not implemented segwit - so we are really still not seeing the full benefit of this.

Otherwise, IF they get lightning network up n running this year, it will be a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,898 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ETH is too high

How did you come to that conclusion?

ETH is too high, it'll probably drop when BTC starts mooning again. Same with LTC.
    https://twitter.com/SatoshiLite/status/949356053564571649

Not sure i agree with your LTC comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Im trying to set up a coinbase account but it wont verify myy boi card. Anyone have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Im trying to set up a coinbase account but it wont verify myy boi card. Anyone have this problem.

Are you trying to use a debit card? AFAIAA BOI debit cards don't support "3D Secure"
    More here: https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1767231-payment-methods-for-european-customers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Curious why would one use a card. The 3.99% commission would eat up a lot of your profit, besides SEPA deposits are free.

Advertisement