Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 BDO World Championship

Options
  • 06-12-2017 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭

6th-14th January

Seen video of draw can only remember a few

Mark McGeeney v Martin Adams
    Glen Durrant v Gary Robson or Penigran Mohamed
    Ross Montgomery v Scott Waites

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

paulie21 wrote: »
    6th-14th January

Ross v Waites only game that looks interesting. Crazy how Danny Noppert, last years runner up had to do a preliminary round. He's my bet to win it out anyway along with Menzies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

draw was some farce

only the bdo could do that
    even the players didnt know

advertised draw was at 7
    was at 5pm i think

joke

sc86 wrote: »
    draw was some farce

only the bdo could do that
    even the players didnt know

advertised draw was at 7
    was at 5pm i think

joke

The BDO didn't even know about it. They were still saying it was on at 7pm after it had been on the channel 4 website. It's like they do this stuff on purpose. Pure comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

wiki link with draw and bookmakers odds.

Also @paulie (and I don't mean this in a having-a-pop way) I think as you create a lot of the event threads you should make it a template to always put in a link to the draw in the OP. wiki draw is handy as it'll be getting continuously updated as matches take place. Good to have as much info in the OP as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭buster180

Ross v Waites only game that looks interesting. Crazy how Danny Noppert, last years runner up had to do a preliminary round. He's my bet to win it out anyway along with Menzies

They must have changed the rules this year. I always thought the four semi-final players were guaranteed automatic qualification for the next two years .

• Advertisement

buster180 wrote: »
    They must have changed the rules this year. I always thought the four semi-final players were guaranteed automatic qualification for the next two years .

Happened to Jeff Smith after getting to the 2015 final too. Scandalous really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

paulie21 wrote: »
    6th-14th January

Can only remember a few?? Fair play to ye for remembering Penigran Mohamed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Surely this has to be nearing the end of its useful life? The prize pool has remained static since 2010, ergo it has diminished in real terms, the quality of the promotion, materials, press team is at an all time low, count the typos in the below tweeted promotional material:
    e3d2d9c1d00fd41fd78f25b7f26170fe.jpg

They are using pics of Barney to sell tickets:
    Q6NLZsC.png

Surely it just needs to be put out of its misery now?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Surely this has to be nearing the end of its useful life? The prize pool has remained static since 2010, ergo it has diminished in real terms, the quality of the promotion, materials, press team is at an all time low, count the typos in the below tweeted promotional material:

Q6NLZsC.png

I see it as a County players tournament. Its a good experience for County players being on stage and tv. I like it and think it should stay just drop the World Championship out of it.

I see it as a County players tournament. Its a good experience for County players being on stage and tv. I like it and think it should stay just drop the World Championship out of it.

That's a reasonable angle to take, instead they insist on advertising it thus:

4aeac95b950ff4a614a9535f241ecee0.jpg

• Advertisement

What tv channel is it going to be on btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Last shown on the BBC in 2016, Channel 4 last year, 2017, and ongoing. BT Sports showing some as well, not sure if that's just the final, some of it is only available on BDO youtube channel as well apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Channel 4 will show live coverage of the afternoon games and BT sports will cover the evening games up to the final . It's always now seen as the poormans darts even though it was the original world championship and it is very much the breeding ground for all the future PDC stars. We will be spoiled by all the 180's and big check outs on sky and then these plumbers and brickies come along and throw 26 and 41 to beat the band. It does improve in the latter stages but for constant continual quality Sky is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »
    BT rules me out of watching as I've got Virgin. Used to love it back in the day on the BBC but it was definitely more level pegging with the PDC even only 10 years ago.

All went downhill after Barney switched really.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Glen Durrant is a quality player in the BDO. Could hold is own in the PDC. Jamie Hughes and Danny Noppert also very capable on their day but after that it's the same regular pub players .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

I really miss bobby George from the commentary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

millhouse wrote:
    Glen Durrant is a quality player in the BDO. Could hold is own in the PDC. Jamie Hughes and Danny Noppert also very capable on their day but after that it's the same regular pub players .

Cameron Menzies a decent player too.

Christ that's amateur. It's like they've given up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

That poster isn't real surely? It's hilariously bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Q6NLZsC.png

:D

full list of fcuk ups here

https://justincredibledarts.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

BDO run it on behalf of the World Darts Federation, the official world governing body of darts.

It's not just a bunch of county players, it incorporates players from all the WDF regions.

I know it's silly but the PDC World title is not recognised by the WDF.

BDO run it on behalf of the World Darts Federation, the official world governing body of darts.

It's not just a bunch of county players, it incorporates players from all the WDF regions.

I know it's silly but the PDC World title is not recognised by the WDF.

The majority of players playing at Lakeside play county darts in the UK. Standard wise it's on a par with good county darts in the UK.

I didn't mean to say it's actually a county darts tournament. Although WDF it is not a world championship it's an amature championship, they all still have regular day jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why does the BDO hold zero tournaments in Republic Of Ireland? They seem to have them pretty much everywhere else France, Romania, Spain, Gilbraltar, Czech Republic, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Finland, Denmark, Slovakia etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Irish players too good for them :D

No Irishman or woman at this tournament either very disappointing there's plenty players good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 appoireland

No Irishman or woman at this tournament either very disappointing there's plenty players good enough.

Killian Heffernan is playing in the Youth Final on the 11th.

• Advertisement

Advertisement