Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Dylan : Sat 30th PM / Sun 31st Dec 2017 AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Euro4 having a disaster or onto something?

Obviously has UKM global boundary conditions so should explain it - but serious discrepancies in the forecast at the moment...

And at 42 hours...

17123100_2906.gif

Euro4 seems to have been all over the place with updates etc the past few days so wouldnt take much notice of it on its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

My empted bin was felled by the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

emmm...

On Ventusky (which I found to be fairly accurate during Ophelia) the Icon model currently shows the following wind gust values for Sunday morning:

03:00h 170 km/h near Lahinch
    04:00h 195 km/h in the Dublin mountains

03:00 - 04:00h gusts of 140-160 km/h pretty much anywhere between Clare/Galway and Dublin/Wicklow coasts.

Ok...this is still a bit far out and probably not all that correct...but scary nonetheless.

What are the chances of something of this severity to actually happen?

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.99;-7.28;7&l=gust&t=20171231/04&m=icon_eu

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

peasant wrote: »
    emmm...

On Ventusky (which I found to be fairly accurate during Ophelia) the Icon model currently shows the following wind gust values for Sunday morning:

03:00h 170 km/h near Lahinch
    04:00h 195 km/h in the Dublin mountains

03:00 - 04:00h gusts of 140-160 km/h pretty much anywhere between Clare/Galway and Dublin/Wicklow coasts.

Ok...this is still a bit far out and probably not all that correct...but scary nonetheless.

What are the chances of something of this severity to actually happen?

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.99;-7.28;7&l=gust&t=20171231/04&m=icon_eu

That's a class website. Thank you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Longford has been downgraded from Orange to Yellow it looks like!

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Louth, Westmeath and Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest GFS rolling out, bringing a more southerly track to the storm- significantly different (relatively) to the EC and models incorporated into the MetE forecast warning..

GFS Low res..

gfs-0-42.png?12

gfs-0-42.png?12?12

GFS High res.. direct hit
    39-515UK.GIF?29-12

42-515UK.GIF?29-12

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Yeah looks like more a Cork Kerry max gusts zone if Gfs is correct
    12_36_windvector_gust.png?cb=532

ICON going for the Clare to Dublin track also

iconeu_uk1-2-37-0.png?29-16

iconeu_uk1-2-42-0.png?29-16

Hirlam holding with EC type scenario, although a bit further south, a severe event...

hirlamuk-2-39-0.png?29-17

hirlamuk-2-42-0.png?29-17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭eigrod

I know local wind strength & timings are difficult to predict, but is Dublin Airport likely to be affected around 11pm tomorrow (Saturday) night?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Small changes in the 1500 update

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Longford, Louth, Westmeath and Meath
    Storm Dylan is expected to affect Ireland on Saturday night /early Sunday morning. Its expected track is northeastwards through Donegal Bay and up along the north-Ulster coast. The biggest impact from the storm will be across Connacht and Ulster where west to southwest winds with mean speeds of 60 to 80 km/h with gusts of up to 120km/hr. High seas along the west coast too with the risk of coastal flooding.

Issued:Friday 29 December 2017 15:00
    Valid:Saturday 30 December 2017 21:00 to Sunday 31 December 2017 06:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly
    West to southwest winds from Storm Dylan will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65 km/h and gusts of 90 to 110km/h later on Saturday night /Sunday morning.

Issued:Friday 29 December 2017 15:00
    Valid:Saturday 30 December 2017 21:00 to Sunday 31 December 2017 06:00

12z still tracking the storm up the Donegal bay with centre staying well off land to the northwest!!!

Some disagreement at such a short range.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

What time do the next set of charts roll out? Are we looking at a more southerly track?

ECMWF has centre around 958hPa off the northwest coast @ 6am Sunday

aisling86 wrote: »
    What time do the next set of charts roll out? Are we looking at a more southerly track?

Still significant uncertainty, indeed- unsual for such a short-range- haven't seen such a poor handle on developments in many years.

Attached are the high res ECMWF progs

WRF NMM for 6am Sunday

nmmuk-11-42-0.png?29-18

nmmuk-2-42-0.png?29-18

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some split in the models, this could come down to the wire before the track is known proper ( if that is possible !)

I think the ARPEGE is probably too far North ?

arpegeuk-53-40-0_hfa6.png

The GFS possibly too far South ?

tempresult_dge3.gif

WRF again maybe too far South ?

tempresult_qdn0.gif

Would lean towards the ECM as the most consistent over the last few days but maybe a track a bit more South ? ( cant upload the ECM charts atm )

ICON again taking it more South. Might be more towards this track or a bit further North ?

tempresult_gid3.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

IMO this has the potential to be a severe storm, moving along quite quickly but damaging. If it produces a track and intensity similar to the ICON's then there could be considerable damage and power outages I would Imagine and moving into the Red Warning zone. I don't know what track it is going to take but I would imagine that the models will align better with a couple of more runs.

Some of the European models showing peak winds running through the middle of the country also.

Another couple runs before having confidence in track and strength.

• Advertisement

Anybody with any experience of how reliable the Europe Swiss HD 4 *4 ( 3 day Model ) , Europe HD Flash and Europe Britain HD are ? ( found on the weather.us site)

I don't see a single GFS ensemble taking the ECMWF track.... Will be interesting to take a look at the EC ENS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Is there similarities to Storm Darwin with this.

I have taken a quick look at the stamps at 36 hours....The operation is one of the most northwest in position- but it has support of about 10 ensembles, however around 20 ensembles take a track similar to the HIRLAM solution. 10 members take the more southerly GFS solution and 10 don't really engage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Do not go gently into that dark and windy night, but rage, rage against the dying of the light.

So this would be the current best-guess for landfall...

hirlamuk-2-39-0.png?29-17

The HIRLAM would correspond somewhat with Met Eireann's warning I would think but perhaps a bit stronger in this output.

tempresult_iob0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Met Eireann on the ball and Storm Dylan has been born...

Although perhaps a bit hasty with naming regions worst impacted, Munster could be worst affected

I suspect you may be correct ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think Galway n Mayo will be worst affected and Donegal. Maybe even status RED if it gets to 140kph gusts though I think 130kph may be tops at Belmullet n Mace Hd...maybe 120 Finner n Malin

• Advertisement

The ICON 18Z has moved it a bit further North and looking very strong ( but aware it can overdo the wind speed a bit maybe by 5-10 km/h ).

tempresult_gcw4.gif

Advertisement