Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of boards.ie lack of young blood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Young people have better things to be doing then sitting and interneting all day. The ones that's do have much more choice like Facebook, Twitter, reddit etc. And since 90% of internet entertainment is hearing contravsial views boards has killed that with its heavy moderation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Young people have better things to be doing then sitting and interneting all day. The ones that's do have much more choice like Facebook, Twitter, reddit etc. And since 90% of internet entertainment is hearing contravsial views boards has killed that with its heavy moderation.

And the billions of apps and games to choose from.

Boards is for the disgruntleed, perturbed and folk set in their ways.

Rabble, rabble, rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

100% this.
    Boards.ie as a platform does not offer the youff of today what they want - a narcissistic soapbox for them to duckface on.

Because-Duck-Face-Is-Too-Mainstream-Funny-Picture.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Most people on boards don’t care what others have to say either. Just look at the serial thread starters on AH, spew their rubbish in the op and then disappear out of the thread or reply to some post reiterating their original post rather than debating or addressing other people’s points.

Have said before but I think boards is changing it’s purpose. Unsure of which film to watch? There’s a great recommendation thread, involved in a job competition? There’s a thread with information, have a legal issue? There might be an outdated thread with someone having a similar enough issue to point you in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

We went through all this in feedback, many many times in thread after thread, all that was wrong with the site and it was all ignored.

Then the new guy got fed up with the complaints and shut it all down and it's his way or the highway now.

Boards made a profit though so he probably got a clap on the back even though the course he's put the site on will be the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Most people on boards don’t care what others have to say either. Just look at the serial thread starters on AH, spew their rubbish in the op and then disappear out of the thread or reply to some post reiterating their original post rather than debating or addressing other people’s points.

Just don't tar all of Boards with the After Hours brush. There is a myriad of excellent forums, on many topics, that are insightful, informative, entertaining, balanced and constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Just don't tar all of Boards with the After Hours brush. There is a myriad of excellent forums, on many topics, that are insightful, informative, entertaining, balanced and constructive.

But AH is what? 50-60% of the traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I joined Boards when I was 14/15, in 2004. Didn't post much. Was mainly asking questions about the Junior/Leaving cert. I do remember those forums being very active. Only in the last 6 or 7 years I started posting more.

I'm not a good example though really as there wasn't really any social media when I joined Boards. Young people have their places to go online (Facebook, Reddit, Instagram etc) whereas there wasn't really anywhere except message boards/chat room in 2004..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The music forums have become a sorry sight in the last few years. When I joined under my original account in 2005 there was probably about 10 times more activity, and far more people who actively seeked out newer music.

Now nearly all the forums apart from Gigs & Events, and perhaps Rock & Metal to an extent, are only sporadically active. But even the Rock & Metal forum itself is in a sorry state, with boring saps who only seem to talk about Metallica, Guns n' Roses and Pearl Jam live shows. No proper music discussion in there any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

The music forums have become a sorry sight in the last few years. When I joined under my original account in 2005 there was probably about 10 times more activity, and far more people who actively seeked out newer music.

Now nearly all the forums apart from Gigs & Events, and perhaps Rock & Metal to an extent, are only sporadically active. But even the Rock & Metal forum itself is in a sorry state, with boring saps who only seem to talk about Metallica, Guns n' Roses and Pearl Jam live shows. No proper music discussion in there any more.

Discussion of Pearl Jam is not boring!!!
    The 3 wise men brought the baby Jesus copies of Ten, Vs and a 1996 Irish tour poster...endorsed by God!!

But I take your point....it's not just the music forum, local forums, even some.ot the sports forums are full of the same monotonous rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

KKkitty wrote: »
    AvB wouldn't lower himself to merely hook up and have a clatter of chiselers. He'd find a woman he has an admiration for and take her on the first flight away from where they met and whisper sweet nothings in her ear. He'd regale stories of his many voyages around the world. He'd buy her an expensive evening gown and bring her to the nearest operatic performance in town whilst wearing his finest garments handmade by the most exclusive tailors he knows. They'd dine in the the most exquisite restaurant with champagne and oysters to make sure her senses were heightened. They'd retire to his boudoir and make love in the most beautiful, sensuous way :D

I'm no AvB, but I can't get any woman to agree even half of that. :( Instead of being whisked away, all they want to do is kill themselves working to pay the bills that come with a live of capitalistic slavery. :mad:

Then they come on boards.ie and share their misery! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Discussion of Pearl Jam is not boring!!!
    The 3 wise men brought the baby Jesus copies of Ten, Vs and a 1996 Irish tour poster...endorsed by God!!

But I take your point....it's not just the music forum, local forums, even some.ot the sports forums are full of the same monotonous rubbish.

That's why I don't post in them any more. Also back in the day when I did post in them, there wasn't any other places that did the same job for me. Nowadays there are far more and less moderated places I can go for what I want. Reddit/Imgur for memes instead of getting around ten funny pics per day from YLYL threads years ago, Reddit for music discussion with parts of the site dedicated to specific bands - instead of one thread per band that gets derailed easily, Spotify for new music suggestions, Reddit again for general conversations..etc

I'm only using boards right now because it isn't blocked in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My theory is that young most people aren't interested in hearing/reading what others have to say, which is what an internet forum is by definition. They're only concerned with other people hearing what they have to say and other people seeing their pics. Which is why they stick to Twitter and Instagram and Snapchat these days because there isn't really much of a back and forth thing. Instead of "here's my idea, what do you think?". it's just "Here's my post, like it"... Which kinda makes me a bit sad when I think about it.

You do realise twitter etc have posts on them that aren't your own? And boards has a like button?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Used to be a great forum but then a lack of suitable mods especially in the Politics forums ruined it. Mods with too much left and lliberal bias and such. Also the transport forums are full of CIE fanboys ready to shoot down any critisism . ETC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

But even the Rock & Metal forum itself is in a sorry state, with boring saps who only seem to talk about Metallica, Guns n' Roses and Pearl Jam live shows. No proper music discussion in there any more.

Might be the bang of superior neckbeard that's driving the punters away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Used to be a great forum but then a lack of suitable mods especially in the Politics forums ruined it. Mods with too much left and lliberal bias and such. Also the transport forums are full of CIE fanboys ready to shoot down any critisism . ETC

100% this. I had my card marked in a certain forum on here for liking some posts in it. Ridiculous.

Apart from everything else, the tech is getting very dated.

I just reported a spammer there, got taken to a page where I have to click report, get taken to another page saying "Please enter a reason for reporting this post.", then back again, type in a word, and finally done.

I'm not even a professional web-developer and I'd have that done with an Ajax-loaded form that gives a little optional text box and the user would never leave the page.

On mobile, I still use the green theme I've used for a decade on Desktop mode.

It's really quiet amazing that it wasn't kept upto date. If you have software like Discord / FB etc. out there, people get used to the ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think after hours gave out about people on the dole too much. Remember that it was the under 30s who made up the lions share of this cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Have to agree with you wholeheartedly about the music forums: they're in the sorriest state of all of the once busy corners of Boards.The amount of traffic and activity, outside of Gigs and Events, is pathetic.

It's long past time for a cull of several of the forums down there. If it was up to me I'd lump everything together into one forum, seriously, and let the chips fall where they may. Right now the entire music section is on life support and approaching death fast.

Part of the fun of music fandom, particularly on the internet, is having people with different tastes and listening habits all together in one place: breathes a bit of life into things,. Right now down there, everything is extremely neat and organised - and slowly dying away in their own little sub-forums of indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wibbs wrote: »
    Moderation is a bit of a red herring, but the perception of Boards moderation has not been helped by it. I would say thread closures happen too damned often. Board's, now you're talking locked.

Threads being locked and discussion being shut down is my single biggest pet hate on Boards. I am loathe to criticise the Mods because they generally do a good job but there are some Mods who seem to lock threads for no other valid reason other than that they can. Unless a thread is in danger of bringing Boards into legal trouble then it should remain open IMO. A good example of this recently was the Trevor Deely thread which was one of the most viewed and active threads of all year. It got locked for no apparent sensible reason. I only realised it had been locked when I searched for it a couple of weeks ago. Reason I was looking for it was that there was new CCTV footage shown on RTE and I felt it merited discussion. But low and behold the thread had been locked. Am I going to open a new one? No, because all the thousands of posts were in that one and thats where it should continue. Am I going to PM a Mod to ask for it to be re-opened? No chance, a Mod made the decision to shut discussion down so I am certainly not going to engage them practically begging for it to be re-opened.

Another grief has to how the Politics Cafe was butchered. It was one of the busiest forums on here and the debate was lively. I get that it was taking up time of the Mods but the solution to that is to recruit more Mods. The death of the Politics Cafe was not due to the Mods in any case, it was Admins further up the chain who made the disastrous decision to force people into having to ask for permission to post there. One week you had stacks of posters and the next week everyone just cleared out and went elsewhere. From what I can see they didnt end up in the main Politics forum so I can only presume they went to Reddit. It was a shambles of a decision and the fact that no-one has yet to do anything to tackle it makes it even worse, it is like the Admins behind the move do not want to admit that a mistake was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Arghus wrote: »
    Have to agree with you wholeheartedly about the music forums: they're in the sorriest state of all of the once busy corners of Boards.The amount of traffic and activity, outside of Gigs and Events, is pathetic.

It's long past time for a cull of several of the forums down there. If it was up to me I'd lump everything together into one forum, seriously, and let the chips fall where they may. Right now the entire music section is on life support and approaching death fast.

Part of the fun of music fandom, particularly on the internet, is having people with different tastes and listening habits all together in one place: breathes a bit of life into things,. Right now down there, everything is extremely neat and organised - and slowly dying away in their own little sub-forums of indifference.

This applies to a lot of forums. Galway City & Galway County spring to mind. Why not just Galway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

All these chat threads in forums are killing the forums too. What are you eating, where are you, annoying things etc. Turning forums into half a dozen cliquey chatty threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

As opposed to: Evil Forgnier Mooslims tuk r jabs
    Evil Mooslims raping Sweden
    Evil refugees etc

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    All these chat threads in forums are killing the forums too. What are you eating, where are you, annoying things etc. Turning forums into half a dozen cliquey chatty threads.

I disagree. They provide a warmth and sense of community away from the usual anger laden discussions around abortion and social welfare recipients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

It is kind of disheartening to see those what aren't part of the cliques get flat out ignored on them

(I'm not againest them....but it's schoolyard stuff to just ignore a username yous don't know)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Muahahaha wrote: »

Another grief has to how the Politics Cafe was butchered. It was one of the busiest forums on here and the debate was lively. I get that it was taking up time of the Mods but the solution to that is to recruit more Mods. The death of the Politics Cafe was not due to the Mods in any case, it was Admins further up the chain who made the disastrous decision to force people into having to ask for permission to post there. One week you had stacks of posters and the next week everyone just cleared out and went elsewhere. From what I can see they didnt end up in the main Politics forum so I can only presume they went to Reddit. It was a shambles of a decision and the fact that no-one has yet to do anything to tackle it makes it even worse, it is like the Admins behind the move do not want to admit that a mistake was made.

Yeah. There's something chillingly Orwellian about having to 'ask if you can have an opinion' that is approved. By all means, let me live or die on that hill, but having to ask permission to climb it? They should rename the forum to Politburo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It is kind of disheartening to see those what aren't part of the cliques get flat out ignored on them

(I'm not againest them....but it's schoolyard stuff to just ignore a username yous don't know)

That’s why all those threads had a strict and enforced “no chat” warning originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Discodog wrote: »
    This applies to a lot of forums. Galway City & Galway County spring to mind. Why not just Galway ?

I still post from time to time in the Galway City Forum myself. It's just about alive these days, just about.

I know it's just an example, but I can see why the distinction was made between Galway City and Galway County. All the discussion in the City forum was entirely City focused and there was a real community in there for a good long while: people knew each other, beers were semi regular, there were clubs and societies all orientated around the forum. It really was its own separate thing to the Galway County forum.

But it's just plodding along now, even the yearly entertaining bitchfest threads about Rag Week and The Races struggle to get going. I could see the point of amalgamation of the two forums at this stage, as they don't really have separate identities in many ways anymore.

I'm not part of any clique but that doesn't stop me from engaging and joining in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some shocking evidence of the fall off in young people here on Boards

DCU forum
    2009 -8500
    2011 -5800
    2013 -1500
    2015 -1000
    2016 -100

NUIM
    2009 -11700
    2011 -12000