Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of boards.ie lack of young blood

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What are you talking about I'm only 24.

Well LOL and YOLO or whatever the devil it is you kids are saying these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think the OP makes a very relevant point. I see Boards..ie as a valuable social resource. It helps me keep in touch with other people's perspectives and situations. It would be a shame if it failed to include certain age groups.

Maybe we should make enticing posts over on the Irish subreadit, possibly about free iPhones and avocado toast for users of boards.

Anyways, I'm off to the post office to collect my pension; where's my Zimmer frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

It's not exactly a very welcoming environment - many of the users on here spend their whole time pissing and moaning about "this generation ruining society". Whatever "this generation" means, I don't know exactly. It seems to be a catch-all term for anybody who doesn't agree with their aging worldview entirely, or tells them that "actually, yes, what you just said that is offensive."

Yeh. That’s how you know it’s an aging demographic. The general belief is if the youngsters stopped buying iPads and posting selfies they’d all be buying mansions in kiliney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

whiskeyman wrote: »
    We need AvB to hook up and have a clatter of chiselers...

André Villa-Boas runs Boards!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Conspectus wrote: »
    The problem is the kids of today never got the face kicking they so richly deserve. If only their was a man to do it.

Hoary old tropes like facekicker kicking someone in the face, banhammer, and the execrable ‘coke and hookers’ do nothing to attract new posters. It paints a picture of overweight men with glasses doing Monty Python impressions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

André Villa-Boas runs Boards!!!

Doing the same job he did with spurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This place hasn’t been the same since Denis O’Brien became a major shareholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

We'd probably have to make AH a "safe space" for them. You may as well turn off the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

whiskeyman wrote: »
    It's a fair point.
    Used to see lots of young uns joining using txtspeak.
    Been a long time since I've seen any...
    Boards.ie could be like a good mass in a few years.

My first post here involves txt speak. Cringe! I was 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My first post here involves txt speak. Cringe! I was 14.

Ah but that was almost 2yrs shop m8t
    Bebostunnah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

I occasionally drop in and our of boards
    I'm 40 so not exactly young.
    But I find the place over moderated and speech quite regulated.
    It's less appealing cos of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Hoary old tropes like facekicker kicking someone in the face, banhammer, and the execrable ‘coke and hookers’ do nothing to attract new posters. It paints a picture of overweight men with glasses doing Monty Python impressions.

Yeah, we should take those tropes and blast them with piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Jawgap wrote: »
    Oh, I very much doubt that......

.......your spelling and punctuation, and correct use thereof, give you away :D

I decided a long time ago to give up those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Atari Jaguar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

We'd probably have to make AH a "safe space" for them. You may as well turn off the lights.

It is a safe space. In some threads and topics you get warnings and possibly banned for having an opinion different than the herd. This is a well known issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It's gas, the place has gotten so conservative in its pre-dominant views lately, I dunno when it happened but that's generally a sign of ageing. I'd come on here whenever there's an outrage about something ridiculous infecting Twitter to remind myself I'm sane, then run back to Twitter when young people or gender gets discussed, then dash between the two like parents in a broken home when I need something.

It's mad though, this used to be the place you'd come to for THE progressives opinions well-articulated. Now it's the place you come to hear the progressives debunked, and that's both comforting and concerning to me depending on the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The continued traducing of snowflakes is obviously putting off Millennials and Gen Z age cohort. That and fully formed words with correct grammar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The continued traducing of snowflakes is obviously putting off Millennials and Gen Z age cohort. That and fully formed words with correct grammar.
    :eek::eek::eek:

The horror, the horror.......:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:eek::eek::eek:

The horror, the horror.......:eek:

Hey do ya wanna safe space? eh eh? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

I'm 25!

So you’re 1.55x10^25 years old? You’re looking well for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

Why did boards close down the pretty busy politics cafe forum and replace it with the the tumbleweeds members only politics cafe 2.0? That just doesn't seem to make business sense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Im 22. I think theres plenty of peopple in their 20's on here. I think the site is better without posters aged 15-18

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Moderators are a huge problem.
    Swap them consistently over different forums to moderate.

They think they own the topics they post in and you can't have an opinion or point out that they're wrong.
    Failing that, blast them with piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Two to three to years ago an AH poll gave the age profile as;
    18-24 28.27%
    25-30 28.27%
    31-36 17.30%
    37-40 8.44%
    41-50 13.08%
    50+. 4.64%

The youngsters are a clear majority. They must just come across as grumpy, conservative, mundane old codgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,918 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Moderators are a huge problem.
    Swap them consistently over different forums to moderate.

They think they own the topics they post in and you can't have an opinion or point out that they're wrong.
    Failing that, blast them with piss.

I don't think mods are the problem but I sort of know what you mean, and some subjects are a bit frustrating to read sometimes but most mods mod because they like the subject they mod in, and I'm not sure disinterested mods would be of any benefit. (too many uses of word mod).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Be less rabidly hard right???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Why did boards close down the pretty busy politics cafe forum and replace it with the the tumbleweeds members only politics cafe 2.0? That just doesn't seem to make business sense

Litigation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This factor could be the death knell for Boards.
    A lot of people gave up on boards after they made it a mod/mod-approved-poster forum. Quelling the dissenting voice by making it a members only forum was a very bad idea.

And on that note: Merry Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They are all taking selfies....

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 39 monnies

politics is too divisive nowadays,
    and i suspect most people who are posting here in the evenings are under the influence,
    and as my granny used to say " don't mix beer with politics" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement