Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Ripple Thread

Comments

ED E wrote: »
    Sell my free XRP that I got back in '13/14 or hope it goes stratospheric in 3-5yrs? Really not sure.

It might do no harm to hold for at least the first month or two of 2018 and watch how it performs in that time. Especially if you got it for free in the first place.

There's just something telling me that if banks want this Ripple tech to succeed, it will. So far, Ripple tech is in use in over 200 Japanese banks. A small fraction of banks no doubt, but it's a start. American Express introduced it to their services in November. It's getting itself out there.

If you can afford to hold, hold for as long as you can, first two months of 2018 minimum. Maybe cover yourself with a limit order to sell at around $0.75c in the meantime just in case the shít hits the fan.

Edit: Just seen that it hit $1.12 today and has been sitting there for a few hours now. Sure, if you got the XRP for free and have a decent amount of it, you can profit right now. However, I bought in at 80c and believe in the tech. I'm holding for the long-term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

This is a good explanation, but Tether can go below a dollar it is not way linked to the Dollar, it has the potential to destroy the crypto market imo if people assume its = USD.

Your method of swapping to BTC and then to Coinbase is sound but expensive, you'll pay 2% swapping from BTC to Euro on Coinbase, and another fee when you finally withdraw. This is massive imo.

0% for a limit order on GDAX if executed properly. 15 cent to withdraw the money back to your bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rekcaks

Has anyone used eToro to buy XRP?

Or suggest an exchange to buy? It will be the first time I'm buying in so I don't have other coins to exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

rekcaks wrote: »
    Or suggest an exchange to buy? It will be the first time I'm buying in so I don't have other coins to exchange.

Buy ETH on coinbase, transfer to Bittrex and purchase Ripple there. Less fees and quicker doing it with ETH instead of BTC.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Buy ETH on coinbase, transfer to Bittrex and purchase Ripple there. Less fees and quicker doing it with ETH instead of BTC.

Great thanks! How do I tranfer to Bittrex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Set up an account on Bittrex...

Set up an account on Bittrex...

Bittrex aren't taking new sign ups! 😞

Then wait. Or use a different exchange.

• Advertisement

Has anyone else got a good exchange site they use?

Binance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

Binance.

Just don't leave any of your holdings on any exchange. Especially a Chinese one such as Binance.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

Guys, this is probably very much how long is a piece of string type question but what do you see as being a realistic achievable figure for ripple in 2018 and then long term, say 5 yrs time. We've seen the $1 barrier been broken already and some experts are projecting $2 - $4 . Is this realistic? Is this ripples limit based on the available coins or could we ever see $10 $50 or God forbid $100...

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

millhouse wrote: »
    Guys, this is probably very much how long is a piece of string type question but what do you see as being a realistic achievable figure for ripple in 2018 and then long term, say 5 yrs time. We've seen the $1 barrier been broken already and some experts are projecting $2 - $4 . Is this realistic? Is this ripples limit based on the available coins or could we ever see $10 $50 or God forbid $100...

To put it in context, ripple has nearly 40billion coins. Currently approx 1euro in value so market cap of 40billion.
    2euro = 80billion market cap
    5euro = 200billion market cap (coming up towards bitcoin)
    10euro = 400billion (approx current value of all crypto market)
    100euro = 4 trillion :D

At best I'd see Ripple getting between 2-3euro in 2018. In the long term, who knows?

el diablo wrote: »
    Just don't leave any of your holdings on any exchange. Especially a Chinese one such as Binance.

So what do I do with them?

Can anyone recommend a good offline wallet? If thats the best thing to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Ripple CEO gave an interview today on CNBC

https://youtu.be/YmlAwQPwgYQ

It all seems too good to be true...what am I missing here- where is the elephant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

i really should start taking some profit out of this. it will be under .90 again by morning :P

dashoonage wrote: »
    i really should start taking some profit out of this. it will be under .90 again by morning :P

Just hit all time high.

It did nicely consolidate around the $1 mark last week which was nice.
    Can see it getting up to $3 in next few weeks tbh

I still have mine with Binance. Who is using what offline wallet to store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I still have mine with Binance. Who is using what offline wallet to store?

http://ripplepaperwallet.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just hit all time high.

It did nicely consolidate around the $1 mark last week which was nice.
    Can see it getting up to $3 in next few weeks tbh

Why

grindle wrote: »

Have you used it? What's their fee?

Also is there a maximum amount of time I'm allowed to keep it on Binance?

Ledger Nano S looks good. Expensive at €82 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Have you used it? What's their fee?

Also is there a maximum amount of time I'm allowed to keep it on Binance?

You can hold it on an exchange for as long as you like it just isn't regarded as the best thing to do as the safety of your money is at the mercy of that exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

So what do I do with them?

Can anyone recommend a good offline wallet? If thats the best thing to do?

Yeah, best to hold in a hardware or offline wallet especially if you hold a dent amount. These Chinese exchanges can shut down at very short notice due to government regulations etc. Not sure which is the best option to hold Ripple right now though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

rekcaks wrote:

Small price to pay for security and peace of mind.

Sees there's been some activity in the Ripple thread overnight :)

Realises it's yet more talk about storage and wallets :(

Sees there's been some activity in the Ripple thread overnight :)

Realises it's yet more talk about storage and wallets :(

I ordered a lambo...but cancelled again when it dipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

dashoonage wrote: »
    I ordered a lambo...but cancelled again when it dipped.

As a more experienced trader I ordered a sambo.
    It was delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

GreeBo wrote: »
    As a more experienced trader I ordered a sambo.
    It was delicious.

I wish my local shop accepted XRP :D

Why

Sorry should have said just pure speculation on my behalf, but again I revert back to my original question of where is the elephant in the room that I'm failing to see?

I've firmly got my anti hype jacket on when I read up about Ripple, but even if half the rumours are true and the other half of the confirmed contracts etc. turn out to be dead ducks then I fail to see how their price stays the same over the next quarter.

They've some heavy hitters getting on board and a few massive shoulders already behind the Ripple wheel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ripple/comments/7jridt/if_you_cant_see_the_writing_on_the_wall_here/?utm_source=reddit-android

I can only see them eating into the market share of say SWIFT in the very near future.

Again; what am I missing here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Nermal

Sorry should have said just pure speculation on my behalf, but again I revert back to my original question of where is the elephant in the room that I'm failing to see?

I've firmly got my anti hype jacket on when I read up about Ripple, but even if half the rumours are true and the other half of the confirmed contracts etc. turn out to be dead ducks then I fail to see how their price stays the same over the next quarter.

They've some heavy hitters getting on board and a few massive shoulders already behind the Ripple wheel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ripple/comments/7jridt/if_you_cant_see_the_writing_on_the_wall_here/?utm_source=reddit-android

I can only see them eating into the market share of say SWIFT in the very near future.

Again; what am I missing here?

No offense, but you were professing to be a #cryptovirgin a week ago. You have to be careful with speculation/pronouncements about price rises or the future success of a tech. You also have to be aware of and be capable of separating your own self interest in wishing to see a price rise from objective analysis.

No offense, but you were professing to be a #cryptovirgin a week ago. You have to be careful with speculation/pronouncements about price rises or the future success of a tech. You also have to be aware of and be capable of separating your own self interest in wishing to see a price rise from objective analysis.

Fair point(s)

Noted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Ripple continues to surprise me, i sold a lot off when it hit .30c, doh. Is it clear that these institutions will actually use xrp too (not just the ripple network)?

Ripple continues to surprise me, i sold a lot off when it hit .30c, doh. Is it clear that these institutions will actually use xrp too (not just the ripple network)?

The Forbes article above pours a lot of cold water on the xrp tokens/network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Every recent article mentioning Ripple being used by X and Y at scale, also mentions that the only thing actually being used is the blockchain technology and that actual Ripple tokens are not involved. Why the Ripple price is climbing when it seems clear there is no linkage is unclear to me, unless it's just a lot of people making assumptions and failing to read.

South Korea are seeminly clamping down on crypto.

https://www.google.ie/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1EM05K

South Korea are seeminly clamping down on crypto.

https://www.google.ie/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1EM05K

aint this aimed at bogey ICO's and coins which is a good thing.

cracking down on the criminal element and money laundering.
    I'm sure any company that has a good business model and operation has nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

cnocbui wrote: »
    Every recent article mentioning Ripple being used by X and Y at scale, also mentions that the only thing actually being used is the blockchain technology and that actual Ripple tokens are not involved. Why the Ripple price is climbing when it seems clear there is no linkage is unclear to me, unless it's just a lot of people making assumptions and failing to read.
    This, exactly !
    And also the fact that it seems Ripple coins can be conjured up out of fresh air whenever the Ripple management feels like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

cnocbui wrote: »

Ripple was actually used by a South American bank I believe in a cross border money transfer, was about 2 months ago

They also keep onboarding new partners and institutions ("good news" generators). In the top 5 coins (very visible). "Cheap" compared to other coins in the top 10, plus the coin initially remained fairly stagnant whilst everything else was flying up, now it's gained it's own momentum

It has industry use and certain people like that. Some Many coins have all sorts of bells and whistles, but many haven't really gone beyond hypothetical use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This, exactly !
    And also the fact that it seems Ripple coins can be conjured up out of fresh air whenever the Ripple management feels like it.

Well, there is a limit to Ripple. Want to make a crypto coin? conjure it up out of thin air and conjure up a max supply. Artificially creating scarcity doesn't automatically imbue something with value. If a coin were the only crypto then perhaps, but there are thousands of these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

ok thanks for the comments, i would have no interest buying back in on this now, i am very surprised it has reached 1.50, insane but congrats to those who bought low and hodled

ugh im gonna have to consider selling soon....

I've just read...with the new Uber valuation it makes it now worth less than Ripple, and the most valuable privately held company in Silicon Valley right now is Ripple

this cant continue lads - even i know that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had bought a stack of Ripple a while back at 0.20 and went in again for more at 0.60.
    Its just shy of my hoped for peak today and my sell ordwrs have been set.
    I honestly expected good growth from Ripple and was hoping for 1.80 by late 2018.

The amount being bought/traded at the mo and the price growth is crazy!
    It really strikes me as a lot of buys by people wanting to hold "full" coins rather than partials and having little understanding of the underlying tech or its uses.
    That applies not just to Ripple, but a lot of the lower cost alts that are booming at the mo

• Advertisement

I've just read...with the new Uber valuation it makes it now worth less than Ripple, and the most valuable privately held company in Silicon Valley right now is Ripple

this cant continue lads - even i know that :D

I'm not sure comparing the valuation of anything to Uber is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millhouse

She's motoring lads. Staying above the $1.50 mark for a sustained period is the key to getting quickly to the next major barrier of $1.75 . Fingers crossed. Some rise over night. HODL .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

It's passed ethereum on coinmarketcap as no.2 coin... Serious money going into ripple... Could possibly pass $2 today...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Pretty smart guy I follow on FB and YT said this about Ripple.
    Take it at face value. It's just someone else's opinion in the end.

Here is a good explanation as to the inherent value of Ripple and XRP moving forward...

First, stop thinking of XRP as Ripples market cap, it isn't. This is a fundamental error in establishing what fair value is for XRP. It's all in the use case.

XRP circulating supply represents the volume of fiat that is available for money movers to transact from A to B within a settlement window.

Today, if one bank needs to move 5 billion in a XRP transaction, then there is only 2B left for similar transactions until the settlement window is compete (say 3-5 sec). This assumes EVERY SINGLE XRP is available for representing fiat transactions, which they obviously are not. So the circulating supply is even smaller. As high as you think it is in value, it's simply not sustainable at this price with increasing adoption.

The more banks and institutions that use XRP, the more money is juggled in the air at any one time, the higher the price per XRP must be. It's all based on the use adoption of XRP.

Ripple just owns a lot of it is all.

Imagine XRP being new physical dollars that are crated up and sent in transactions between banks, settling back and forth.

Is 7B enough for banks to do day to day business with? Not by a long shot. This is the justification case for XRPs potential value.

steadying off around the 1.40 mark now..

• Advertisement
Advertisement