Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Carantoohill in January

Options
  • 10-12-2017 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Me and 2 of my friends are planning on climbing for the first time on the second weekend of January and have a few questions if anyone knows. We have a good level of fitness and have climbed croagh patrick twice.

Is a guide really necessary for the climb ?

What route should we take as we want a bit of a challenge but we want some scenery too.

And lastly, if it snows while we are on our way up which there is probably a good chance. Should we turn around or could it be done anyway?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There's no need for a guide but might be an idea to see if there's any organised hikes with a local club.

The hydro track is probably the safest route. There's a carpark at the start now I think.

Snow may be a concern but high winds and cloud cover would be more concerning to me.

Mangerton is another nice hike down there often over looked but it's a nice loop with some fantastic scenery/

The safest and easiest route is up and down the Zig Zags, it's a bit longer than the Devil's Ladder/Heavenly Gates/Gullies etc.

Don't think it's possible for anyone to tell you if you need a guide. But in one of my first climbs, with no map and compass, and without proper gear, I set off on a cold January day and when I was on the Eastern Reeks ridge a blizzard swept in and I couldn't see more than a few feet in a whiteout. Not a fun experience at all, not knowing which way to go, what would take me nearer the northern edge of the ridge. Whatever about fitness, it's experience that's needed in those conditions, it can be close to stumbling around in the dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Briank94 wrote: »
    Me and 2 of my friends are planning on climbing for the first time on the second weekend of January and have a few questions if anyone knows. We have a good level of fitness and have climbed croagh patrick twice.

Is a guide really necessary for the climb ?

What route should we take as we want a bit of a challenge but we want some scenery too.

And lastly, if it snows while we are on our way up which there is probably a good chance. Should we turn around or could it be done anyway?

Thanks

For your first time the best way would be from Cronin's yard, up the Devil's ladder and back the same way.

It's the easiest route to follow as it's very worn and it's the most popular so you'll most likely have other people to follow/ask for directions etc.

The Zig-zags is the recommended route because of the erosion on the ladder but if visibility is poor or snow covering the ground it can be very difficult to find the track at the top and the bottom.

Also bear in mind that if there is a hard freeze at the top it will be difficult to walk on the rocky slopes near the summit so I would advise some type of ice spikes like Yaktrax in your pack.

Croagh Patrick is a very easy mountain to climb as there is basically only one way up and down, and that track is so badly worn that no navigation is required.

Carrauntoohil is very different with multiple routes up/down and if you take the wrong one you will end up in difficulty. Don't underestimate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Start as early as possible, preferably at daybreak. The days are short and the nights are long in January. If you get caught out on the mountain on a January night, you are talking about a very long and cold night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I'm not too familiar with Carrantoohil as I've only been up it once, but I'd always recommend going unto the mountains with someone who knows what they're doing at this time of year.

Conditions can change quickly and it's very easy to lose visibility and get disoriented. Add that to short daylight hours and low temperatures and you've got the potential for things to go badly wrong.

The ability to navigate with map and compass is vital as is the knowledge (and experience) of how to do it without visibility. When you've only got a few metres visibility even the most familiar mountain can become a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OP, I hope that neither of these cases involved you :)

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/1226/929702-kerry-mountain-rescue/

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

Can't believe folk went up there today... Idiots, given the conditions and the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭BeardySi

OP, I hope that neither of these cases involved you :)

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2017/1226/929702-kerry-mountain-rescue/

First thing that sprang to mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Masala

Subtle wrote: »
    Can't believe folk went up there today... Idiots, given the conditions and the forecast.

A Stephens Day Climb up Carrantouille is a well known Kerry tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Masala wrote: »
    A Stephens Day Climb up Carrantouille is a well known Kerry tradition.

And long may it continue, safely of course. It wasn't that long ago when an experienced hillwalker required the aid of the Glen of Immal team on Christmas Day no less, which shows that it can happen to anybody and at any time.

• Advertisement

Subtle wrote: »

Was planning on running it but we went to Mangerton instead. Would have no big issue with anyone going up it yesterday - snow and ice being the whole point of winter climbing, know a few who simply walked it - provided they had the necessary expertise. It wasn't particularly windy or stormy around Killarney at all, just snow on one of the most popular walking days will always lead to some trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There’s a search still underway for a fourth missing climber/walker missing overnight down there.

The search was stood down at 1am and resumed at first light.

- provided they had the necessary expertise.

That’s the problem though. Someone who regards themselves as an experienced hill walker mightn’t have the expertise. Many moons ago when I did my MS1 two of the people on it were very regular hillwalkers (according to them) but they had need the Glen Of Imall team to come get them off lug one day cos it got foggy. So while they were experienced at walking hills, in good weather, they hadn’t got the necessary expertise. And the husband mentioned to me that they thought they knew what they were doing, had maps etc, but not a clue how to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There should be posts and limits to prevent clowns getting lost high up. Limit them to certain areas so that people's lives are not put in danger trying to rescue them.

There should be posts and limits to prevent clowns getting lost high up. Limit them to certain areas so that people's lives are not put in danger trying to rescue them.

Posts as in metal stakes like signposts?

No. Cos that’ll only encourage the inept and incompetent. And ruin the mountains too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

And this would prevent people from going beyond their 'limit' by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

No. Cos that’ll only encourage the inept and incompetent. And ruin the mountains too

They had metal poles/spikes every so far around Arthurs pass to give guideline of a path when you get above the height for vegetation

(Dunno how applicable this is for ireland though?)

Isn't that why there's rescue people looking for them now though?
    The inept and incompetent are already up there so we should be trying to prevent that.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    And this would prevent people from going beyond their 'limit' by?
    Warning them of the dangers of going higher obviously.

Warning them of the dangers of going higher obviously.

And this would prevent them from going higher by, meaning, some tend to just ignore signs? Maybe we should be making sure hill walkers are equipped with the knowledge of dealing with such situations by educating them by means such as map reading etc, you d be surprised how many can't. My map reading skills are gone to the dogs, and I'm regularly on the mountains

• Advertisement

And this would prevent them from going higher by, meaning, some tend to just ignore signs? Maybe we should be making sure hill walkers are equipped with the knowledge of dealing with such situations by educating them by means such as map reading etc, you d be surprised how many can't. My map reading skills are gone to the dogs, and I'm regularly on the mountains
    Many of them seem to be visitors from abroad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

And this would prevent them from going higher by, meaning, some tend to just ignore signs?

If there able to say they are on x,y or z path or if poor English say the coulers of the poles/markers etc they are near it'll be easier find them??

Search called off after missing person found in Co Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Alun wrote: »
    It's understood that the walker had set out on Christmas Day and camped overnight before setting off again on St Stephen's Day.
    "After a day and a half of walking he could be anywhere," Mr Wallace said earlier. "The report we received was that his tent had broken and he needed help.
    "We searched the Black Valley area of the Macgillycuddy's Reeks but we couldn't find anyone there."
    This fool didn't even know where he was when he picked up the phone and called the emergency services to come and collect him.

IMO these kind of people should be billed for the full cost of their rescue, and if they can't pay, slap them in prison for a few weeks, where they can sit and think about all the hassle and danger they have caused to others.

If somebody goes up in summer then slips and breaks a leg, then fair enough. Totally different situation.

recedite wrote: »
    This fool didn't even know where he was when he picked up the phone and called the emergency services to come and collect him.

IMO these kind of people should be billed for the full cost of their rescue, and if they can't pay, slap them in prison for a few weeks, where they can sit and think about all the hassle and danger they have caused to others.

If somebody goes up in summer then slips and breaks a leg, then fair enough. Totally different situation.

...and this would prevent these kind of incidents from happening by......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If they had a phone could they not ping the location with GPS, would get them close enough anyway. Went up there last year had coverage all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mooooo wrote: »
    If they had a phone could they not ping the location with GPS, would get them close enough anyway. Went up there last year had coverage all the way
    You can be rest assured that the MRT personnel will have thought of that possibility if it was available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

recedite wrote: »

And the next time it happens to someone they'll think feic that, I'm not calling for help, I'll eventually find my way out of here. And probably end up seriously injured or dead while doing so.

Should we treat motorists the same way who go out in less than Ideal conditions and end up in an accident?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

...and this would prevent these kind of incidents from happening by......
    Here's the thing, people go up the mountains now with a mobile phone knowing that as a backstop measure they can always call in a rescue. Its the same with people going out in small boats. That completely changes the risk dynamic in people's minds. they are thinking "Why bother learning how to navigate, or waiting until you have the necessary expertise to cope with severe conditions?"
    At the very least, learn how to get gps coordinates from your phone.
    The risk of dying due to foolhardy behaviour has almost gone from the equation, but some sort of penalty needs to be reintroduced in its place.

Advertisement