Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climbing Carantoohill in January

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

recedite wrote: »
    This fool didn't even know where he was when he picked up the phone and called the emergency services to come and collect him.

Ah stop, why would they have called for Mountain Rescue if they knew exactly where they were. It was the whole point of the call.

Reading one of the reports. The guy is in his 30's and from Germany. He also had his tent break in some way. This could be a random equipment failure or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I see from the report on the Radio Kerry website that the person in question was German. That could maybe partly explain any communication issues they may have had when trying to locate him. they also lost mobile phone contact with him after the initial contact.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/german-national-missing-macgillycuddy-reeks-located/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Should we treat motorists the same way who go out in less than Ideal conditions and end up in an accident?
    Well, I saw a whole plethora of motorists caught up in traffic jams around the base of Luggala near Roundwood on a recent weekend because they wanted to drive up to see the snow. We are talking about people who don't have 4WD and have never heard of snow chains.
    It only takes a few eejits sliding around sideways, totally out of control, to block the road for everyone else.
    So if they want the AA to come up and collect them, yes they should have to pay top dollar IMO.

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Ah stop, why would they have called for Mountain Rescue if they knew exactly where they were. It was the whole point of the call.
    You might know where you are, but be unable to walk because of a broken leg. That is a proper accident.
    CardinalJ wrote: »
    Reading one of the reports. The guy is in his 30's and from Germany. He also had his tent break in some way. This could be a random equipment failure or anything.
    So, inadequate equipment and unable to navigate, yet he was up there in severe winter conditions.
    And fully expects other people to rescue him whenever he gets cold and hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You might know where you are, but be unable to walk because of a broken leg. That is a proper accident.

So, inadequate equipment and unable to navigate, yet he was up there in severe winter conditions.

Don't be ridiculous would you rather have people die up there. That'll learn them alright :rolleyes:

I agree with the idiots driving cars on roads known to be closed should be charged and arm and a leg if they require rescue.

It sounds like this guy was a genuine hiker and ended up getting caught out for one reason or another. This is where mountain rescue step in and do their thing.

Well done all concerned and a positive result.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous would you rather have people die up there. That'll learn them alright :rolleyes:
    No, I said they should pay for the cost of the rescue in some way. Unless they have a reasonable excuse.
    Next time read the thread before sticking your oar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No, I said they should pay for the cost of the rescue in some way. Unless they have a reasonable excuse.
    Next time read the thread before sticking your oar in.

More nonsense out of you eh..

How do you know he was any of the above and I guess you've never had equipment fail on you.

I think you're paddling your own oar on the I haven't a clue what I'm talking about but I'll soldier on regardless river. Careful you don't have an equipment failure :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Careful you don't have an equipment failure :D
    I have done, and I worked around it.
    I have never had equipment failure, and been totally lost, and alone, and deliberately gone out on a mountain all night in the snow, all at the same time. And I have never had to call out the rescue services. Maybe the guy had mental issues, who knows.

But keeping the discussion away from any one person, in more general terms I'm just saying it is far to easy to act the eejit when you think there are no real personal consequences, and that rescuers who will risk themselves and spare no expense to get you down, are only a phonecall away.

Advertisement