Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call your 2018 goal by Dec 31st

Options
  • 26-12-2017 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Now that the mince pies are eaten, sleds have been brought in, cold turkey stowed stewing in tinfoil; its time to turn towards the redeeming expectations a new calendar will bring. Simply post your 2018 goals here- "A" goals mind, no half measures or excuses accepted! This year in addition to the usual booze-regret Hope and Glory, musings from goose-stepping twelve stepping Tetotalitarianists are welcomed into the warm bosom of our collective delusions.

For myself I want a top 5 AG ranking in the NS, brought about mainly by consistency in training. This year I have a headstart on the usual resolutions to quit drink and lose weight, so staying injury free should allow better racing. Along the way, a medal at the National LC Champs in March in the 1,500m will provide focus and feedback. Lesser swimming goals include a 1:0x 100free, a 30s 50free, and a general Do More Volume. A shinier medal at the Aquathlon AG Champs than this years silver would be nice!
    Biking- I'm happy to maintain and continue, no specific goals.
    Running- better 18:30 standalone 5k and 39min standalone 10k... with an aggressive weight target of 82kg.
    Easy to write this stuff down! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

IM Austria - with a sub 4 hour run. This should bring me home around 10:30 with good mechanical luck. Want a decent run, not too bothered about overall time.

Consistent training is getting harder every year so aim is to park the excuses for the next 6 months and just get out and do it.
    Aiming for a 1:30 half marathon in build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Sub 3 in Rotterdam in April. Also looking for 5 k and 10k pbs (currently 17m18s and 37m38s) this year. Will do a few tris this year for fun and postpone specific tri goals to 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

vascetomy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I could copy and paste from last year.
    Sub 3 in Rotterdam - The only difference this year is I'm not putting too much emphasis on pacing exactly. I'm training based on HR unless it's a specific threshold or interval session. In the last month long run times have dropped by about 20 seconds a km so if I reach the same level of fitness as last April I'm in with a shout. The mental side of breaking sub 3 plays on my mind too much. Dublin 2017 was a test run for just running by HR and it worked. Slow, but it worked
    I'm doing more run specific work in the gym too

Up till April, it'll be maintenance on the bike and swim and hopefully a few sprints and/or Olys later in the year.
    Now that I have finally broken my duck at the local beach I'll be hitting the open water more regularly this year too.
    It's taken me many hours in the pool to get this slow so I'm not going to let that drop!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

1st Overall in Age Group National Series
    Top 5 Carlow
    Win Lough Key Triathlon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ignore the little man
    look at the big picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    ignore the little man
    look at the big picture.

You referring to BTH's goal here? ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Copenhagen sub 11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

BTH wrote: »
    vascetomy

Avoidance off or engagement with??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Beat the fish in Roth and Copenhagen.

Simple enough goal : exercise pain free regularly.

tunney wrote: »
    Simple enough goal : exercise pain free regularly.

you just need to silence the little negative man in your brain and you will be a lot closer to your goal ...

i hope that answers your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Copenhagen sub 12

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

To be able too touch my toes. Will definitely help with the running.

Worn Out wrote: »
    To be able too touch my toes. Will definitely help with the running.

Why would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

Because 3 months ago I could hardly touch my knees, the body was so tight and the back was rigid.
    Three months of yoga and I am really feeling the benefits, especially with the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Break 17 in The race
    Break 30 in Kacr(145 mile canal race)
    Make it 2 each with leonidas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Sub 10 in Outlaw full at end of July. Seems like a big ask right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

An Ironman PB.
    This will be my second IM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Beat the fish in Roth and Copenhagen.

Joking aside I have something hung up in the pain cave on what I think I can get to if I focus enough. The swim is probably the most unrealistic of all but with an endless pool at home and swimming 5 times a week and getting some stroke analysis i have no excuses!
    1.40 per 100 pace
    36.2k avg
    4.40k pace

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Sub 6 at IM Dun Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

A Goal 2018
    Sub 3 any Autumn marathon
    Starting basically from scratch
    Long overdue.

Sub 3 marathon on the rower too.

"Lose the belly" and "Touch my toes" are 2 others written into the diary. The work to achieve both will require A) the fitness plan to achieve the A goal and B) the conditioning and recovery plan to achieve the A goal.

Of the things I did almost zero of this year, I miss swimming most. So swimming and trekking mountains will be my other main distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

Sub 6 in Dun Laoghaire 70.3 & sub 4 in Dublin Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

AS a lurker here it might be an idea to step out of the shadows and name some goals for 2018.....and as a person just starting out in multi sport (a bit like shotgunmcos) i'm basically starting from scratch.

So laying them out as per SBR disciplines, they go like this:

Swim:

This is a simple one, as a person who can't swim, it will be to learn to swim.
    I will consider this a success if i can swim 1 length of a pool....

Bike:

No goals for the bike only to continue to enjoy it. I am comfortable enough on the bike a the moment....The effort is needed in other disciplines an much of my biking could become recovery/cross training sessions from a run program.
    Will try to do more brick sessions tho

Run:

Sub 22min 5K - Current PB is 25.xx.....This should be doable and I will measure this by how far under 22 I go.
    My PB is from a race without doing any run training, and with a bit of focus and miles in the legs, it should be possible...

Other goals:

Weight:

get to 85kg.....currently 93.xx. A bit shocked at my currently weight. I haven't really been pigging out over Christmas, but have put on 2kg

Kayak....a someone who will do the odd Kayathlon/Adventure race..... a goal to get out on a kayak without it being in a race :P:D
    I have no excuse as I have access to kayaks and water so just need to make time

The "A" goal is the run, and develop my running in general, and this will need a decent focus, fitness and recovery plan...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

1. Keep loving it
    2. Get fitter
    3. Get faster
    4. No injuries
    5. Improve

No goal races picked yet - no decisions made so hard to set any specific goals, but the above covers it all. Without hitting number one every single day, the rest won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

BTH wrote: »
    vascetomy

http://vasectomyireland.ie

I can highly recommend this fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

ray o wrote: »
    http://vasectomyireland.ie

I can highly recommend this fella.

Oh, Athenry, that would be handy. Cheers for that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah would you look at all those happy couples with their children on the website.

P.s you know that stuff aint 100% reliable? Be careful...

Advertisement