Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call your 2018 goal by Dec 31st

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

EDit wrote: »
    Not wanting to go too far OT, but was thinking of Copenhagen as a 1st IM in a few years...would you recommend?

Overall would recommend.

Pro's
    - Direct flights
    - 60% of bike course is fast with a great surface
    - Much of the run is through city centre with great support
    - Lagoon swim, very few turns or opportunities to swim off course.
    - Well organised
    - Beautiful city
    - Very strict on drafting, I was always cautious when overtaking. Very active motorcycle marshals.

Con's
    - Copenhagen city is expensive
    - Split transition
    - Some rolling hills at one end of the run course, tough to hold pace.
    - Handed out small cups of water on run course, was told there would be 750ml bottles.
    - Strong winds on the bike

You can't just leave that there :eek:

When I posted that comment I was nervous that I was aiming too high. Training went very well, stepped up the endurance early. Was doing 5 hour cycles and 2 hour runs from May. Maintained 2 turbo sessions throughout the programme.

When I completed peak training I was confidient and begun to believe a 11hr30 was possible on a good day.

Head was really in the right place on the build up and morning of the race. Was calm and collected, had a plan and a back up plan. This was one of the biggest advantages of working with a coach.

Everything went well on the day, stuck to the plan, 36min swim, fast transitions, strong bike. It really came together. Coming out of T2 checked the watch for the first time and was in shock. Had to hold a 4hr marathon for a dub 11 finish and was feeling fresh. The run was a challenge, course turned every few 100 meters making holding forum difficult, the 2nd half of the loop was rolling hills which was very tough to return to race pace once up. Really had to dig into what ever was left within.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

1st Overall in Age Group National Series
    Top 5 Carlow
    Win Lough Key Triathlon

Achieved.
    9th- Race being named as the intervarsities didn't help!
    Sick for Lough Key and didn't get to race. Wouldn't been good enough to win anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

cjt156 wrote: »
    More structure, more discipline.
    Ha! That goal died early...
    Sub 5:30 in Celtic Warrior 70.3
    Work, life, holidays, kids. No room in the schedule for this one.
    Sub 6:00 in IM Dun Laoghaire 70.3
    6:36, undertrained for the bike. I knew it going in, other priorities took over.
    Ah, sure; fail again, fail better...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Im new to this sport, Iv never swam or Ran distance before. I've cycled a small bit (casual mountain biking the odd time) I started training 4 months ago from scratch and have put in 5/6 days a week non stop. Swimming turning out to be very difficult still to get times down under 2 mins/100m. I plan on doing 8 races mixture of sprints and Olympic distance and the Dublin Ironman. Training is going well but lots to do still.

Goals -
    Run 5k 22 mins
    Run 10k 45 mins

Swim 750m 14 mins
    Swim 1500m 28 mins

Cycle 20k 35 mins
    Cycle 40k 1hr 10

Goals -
    Run 5k 22 mins - 23 mins
    Run 10k 45 mins - 46 mins

Swim 750m 14 mins - 13 mins
    Swim 1500m 28 mins - 26 mins

Cycle 20k 35 mins - 35 mins
    Cycle 40k 1hr 10 - 1hr 11 mins

Very happy with the above considering I started from a sofa 12 months ago. Those times were all within a Triathlon , not on their own.

Finished my first 1/2 marathon running only race Saturday at 1:42 & Done the Dun Laoghaire IM at 6:27. V V happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

EC1000 wrote: »
    Sub 3 in Rotterdam in April. Also looking for 5 k and 10k pbs (currently 17m18s and 37m38s) this year. Will do a few tris this year for fun and postpone specific tri goals to 2019.

Nope, nope and nope. DNS in Rotterdam (DNF in Limerick marathon), only managed to race one half marathon so far this year, no 5 or 10k race.

All eggs in one basket now for sub 3 in DCM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

griffin100 wrote: »
    Late to the party but what the hell......

Goal No 1. - Start running again. I haven't run since Nov. 2016 when I damaged my hamstring. It needs surgery to fix but I haven't been arsed getting it done. I need to sort it out and even if I get back to running 5&10kms I'd be happy.

Goal No 2. - Swim 500,000m this year. Might be a stretch depending on work issues and time commitments but I hit 444km in 2017 with a few weeks of little or no swimming during the tear so might be doable.

Goal No 3. - Swim sub 25 minute 1,500m in the pool (LC). Current PB is 25.40 so hope to get close. Will have a shot in Limerick masters I think.

Goal No. 4 - Swim a 10km skins. I DNF'd in Lough Dan last year at only 3km with cramp which took me weeks to mentally get over, up until then I'd never had an unplanned DNF. In training I had swam a 3hr skins river swim so I should have done better.

Goal No. 5 - Do more Leinster OW swim races this year.
    Simple enough!

Off we go :P

To come back to this a year on............

Goal No 1. - Start running again - ended up not needing any surgery and got back running in May. Covered 984km up to year end. Was very happy with that.

Goal No 2. - Swim 500,000m this year. Was on target until September when I damaged a rotator cuff tendon. Swam a grand total of 10km between then and the year end. Overall 343km for the year.

Goal No 3. - Swim sub 25 minute 1,500m in the pool (LC). Never really tried and my one and only attempt in Limerick was a failure.

Goal No. 4 - Swim a 10km skins. Never happened this year. Just never got the time to get the long OW swims in that this needs. Hadn't much of a gra for it this year if truth be told.

Goal No. 5 - Do more Leinster OW swim races this year. Did LOS swims and highlight of the year was the Liffey Swim.

So 2 out of 5 goals hit, one missed due to injury and two missed due to lack of effort. That said given that I'm back running I'm delighted and that trumps everything else.

Advertisement