Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car deliberately ploughs through pedestrians in Melbourne, Australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Changes haven’t been implemented yet, and hopefully they won’t!

So you're just fearmongering. Got it.
    Odhinn wrote: »
    As an update
    "A second man, 24, who was seen filming the incident and was found to be carrying a bag with knives in it, was also arrested yesterday afternoon.

He was last night interviewed by investigators but has now been released and is expected to be charged on summons over possession of cannabis and possessing a weapon.

Police said in a statement they did not believe the man was involved in the incident."
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-22/melbourne-car-crash-police-investigate-flinders-street-scene/9281044

That information was available before Snake made his post. He's just spreading fake news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

Bob Harris wrote: »
    A ferry carrying 251 people has capsized in stormy seas off the east coast of the Philippines, the coastguard says.

DOTKSYWV4AAg-3y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

So far, no indication that it's terrorism... Certain posters unsurprisingly believe it is.... Definitely nothing hateful about those individuals.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

pitifulgod wrote: »
    So far, no indication that it's terrorism... Certain posters unsurprisingly believe it is.... Definitely nothing hateful about those individuals.....

I’m sorry but an Afghan refugee driving a vehicle at a crowd of people on purpose is going to be suspected as a terrorist incident. It may not be terrorist related but it certainly will be up for question in this day and age.
    Can you not understand this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Odhinn

pitifulgod wrote: »

The Australians may well be taking the right approach - if some known header decides to kill for Allah, why jump on his explanation of things, and give IS or whoever the publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

The Australians may well be taking the right approach - if some known header decides to kill for Allah, why jump on his explanation of things, and give IS or whoever the publicity.

That isn't called explanation, that's called motivation.

And the answer to your why - because truth.

seenitall wrote: »
    That isn't called explanation, that's called motivation.

And the answer to your why - because truth.

....so back to justifying nut jobs and free publicity for extremists?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

....so back to justifying nut jobs and free publicity for extremists?

By believing authorities should manage the truth, you are back to justifying different nut jobs and offering free publicity to different extremists. Look at the mileage made from efforts to cover up crimes committed by migrants in Sweden and Germany. Alt-right/Breitbart style media lives in the space between the PR spin and the reality ordinary people see. If the authorities try or are perceived to try to manage the story, then it just feeds a corrosive lack of trust between the public and the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Bob Harris wrote: »
    A ferry carrying 251 people has capsized in stormy seas off the east coast of the Philippines, the coastguard says.

A spokesman said a number of casualties had been reported. Huge waves are said to have caused the boat to overturn.

But hey...it's the Philippines.

Well Bob, if it's that important to you, why didn't you start your own thread?

Sand wrote: »
    By believing authorities should manage the truth, you are back to justifying different nut jobs and offering free publicity to different extremists. Look at the mileage made from efforts to cover up crimes committed by migrants in Sweden and Germany. Alt-right/Breitbart style media lives in the space between the PR spin and the reality. If the authorities try or are perceived to try to manage the story, then it just feeds a corrosive lack of trust between the public and the authorities.

They aren't managing the truth by reporting the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

They aren't managing the truth by reporting the reality.

So when you said

"The Australians may well be taking the right approach - if some known header decides to kill for Allah, why jump on his explanation of things, and give IS or whoever the publicity."

you didn't mean that, you instead actually meant the Australians should accept the self claimed motivations of the known header and acknowledge the IS link (if any)?

Okay, glad we agree.

I’m sorry but an Afghan refugee driving a vehicle at a crowd of people on purpose is going to be suspected as a terrorist incident. It may not be terrorist related but it certainly will be up for question in this day and age.
    Can you not understand this?

Especially when.........Melbourne incident driver tells police of 'voices and mistreatment of Muslims' as investigation continues.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/melbourne-incident-driver-tells-police-of-voices-and-mistreatment-of-muslims-as-investigation-continues

Sand wrote: »
    So when you said

"The Australians may well be taking the right approach - if some known header decides to kill for Allah, why jump on his explanation of things, and give IS or whoever the publicity."

you didn't mean that, you instead actually meant the Australians should accept the self claimed motivations of the known header and acknowledge the IS link (if any)?

Okay, glad we agree.

Nit picking, seeing as the person isn't in their right mind. If there was an actual IS link, that would be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I knew what I was doing and what this thread would descend into when I started it and you lads didn't disappoint. Not even a bit.

436825.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I knew what I was doing and what this thread would descend into when I started it and you lads didn't disappoint. Not even a bit.

436825.jpg

Wow! If this is seriously how you get your jollies... Seek therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Wow! If this is seriously how you get your jollies... Seek therapy

Sometimes watching people go insane on the internet can be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

old_aussie wrote: »
    Especially when.........Melbourne incident driver tells police of 'voices and mistreatment of Muslims' as investigation continues.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/melbourne-incident-driver-tells-police-of-voices-and-mistreatment-of-muslims-as-investigation-continues

I don’t understand :confused:
    They say he told them he did it because of the mistreatment of Muslims but they have found no terror related link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Sometimes watching people go insane on the internet can be great fun.

You must have a really sh1t life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Police seem to be well brainwashed.

The family member surely would have known that Saeed Noori was Unlicenced.

The SUV had not been reported stolen.

Saeed Noori, a 32-year-old Australian citizen of Afghan descent, is believed to have been unlicensed when he allegedly drove a relative's car into the crowded intersection on Thursday night, leaving 19 other people injured.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbourne-cbd-attack-flinders-street-driver-saeed-noori-convicted-of-unlicensed-driving-20171221-h090w2.html

• Advertisement

Police seem to be well brainwashed.

Can you offer supporting fact or argument to clarify your statement?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

511 wrote: »
    How come assholes don't use Buddhism or Hinduism to be assholes? Perhaps some do but there seems to be a shedload more assholes per capita in the Islamic faith than other religions, seeing as it's Muslims carrying out these attacks.

OK, your argument is that Islm = Violence, everything else, fine and dandy.
    Got it, no need to argue with you here. Can I see some evidence of that please?
    Racist is easier to write if you cannot distinguish the difference between race and religion and anyone who cannot distinguish between the two is worthy of being called stupid.

Yeah, but as soon as osters saw a picture of the attacker everyone immediately jumped to the conclusion "Oh yeah, brown skin, beard, certain appearacne, Muslim, terrorist".
    I'm afraid me old buckaroo that is racist meladdio.
    Terrence Kelly was an ethnic Irishman who was deeply Catholic but converted to Islamic fundamentalism. Did Terry Kelly change his race when he converted to Islam? By accusing posters on here of racism, you're also admitting that it's possible for someone to change their race by converting to a new religion. Just think about how ridiculously stupid that sounds for a moment.

But is Islam to blame for him being a racist, violent asshole or was he using Islam as an excuse to murder people?
    Exactly my point.
    Islam was always the problem. It wasn't founded with good intentions. ISIS aren't much different from the first Muslims, who wnet around slaughtering and enslaving people in Arabia. If the people are the problem, then where are all of the Buddhists and Hindu militants trying to create their own Caliphate (Islamic state)? Why is it always Muslims? It's because the Abrahamic faiths instruct their followers to create these theocracies.

But who created Islam? People. Religion is not something that was handed down to us by some sky fairy, people invented it, maybe with good intentions, but it has causes untold bloodshed on the world.
    Which band of murdering terrorists?

IRA, UVF, RAF (Red Army faction), pick one. Plenty of sadistic bastards in those organisations who jack off at the thought of killing and maiming.
    People have always been violent. You simply do not get to blame the system or a particular group of people, that is the point. Human beings can be evil, violent, nasty little sh*ts.

Ironically, you haven't provided any evidence that religions isn't the problem. That a lazy argument.

Who created religion?
    People.
    It wasn't handed to us by some aliens. It doesn't force people to be violent through mind control.
    It is an institution created by people and abused by people and used as an excuse to murder each other.

Unless you can somehow prove that it is indeed alien mind control, otherwise the answer remains Homo Sapiens, a nasty, vicious, violent species where everyone is out to control the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But who created Islam? People. Religion is not something that was handed down to us by some sky fairy, people invented it, maybe with good intentions, but it has causes untold bloodshed on the world.

I take it you haven't read up on Mohammed, the paedophile warlord, then.

I take it you haven't read up on Mohammed, the paedophile warlord, then.

Am I now required to hate my Turkish, Moroccon and Tunisian friends?
    After all, they are Muslims, so Muslims = Terrorists, therefore they must be Jihadis
    As a German I am required to be a Nazi und as an Irishman (presumably) you must be an IRA terrorist
    So we have no choice in the matter, our respective systems and heritage require us to be violent, it's not like we can decide, no?

Am I now required to hate my Turkish, Moroccon and Tunisian friends?
    After all, they are Muslims, so Muslims = Terrorists, therefore they must be Jihadis
    As a German I am required to be a Nazi und as an Irishman (presumably) you must be an IRA terrorist
    So we have no choice in the matter, our respective systems and heritage require us to be violent, it's not like we can decide, no?

You tried to claim "people invented it, maybe with good intentions". I merely pointed out who invented it. He did not have good intentions, unless you are quite twisted.

I would just like to add to my points so far.
    The basis of my argument is that correlation ≠causation.
    I do agree that there do seem to be more violent Muslims than Bhuddhists, but:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/may/08/buddhist-extremists-anti-muslim-mandalay-ma-ba-tha

You cannot argue that there aren't atrocities carried out by extremeist Bhuddist.

Also, people have been bashing each others skulls since the dawn of time.

Religion, does it turn people violent or do violent people look for it, so they have an excuse to carry out their violent urges? I do believe so.

And finally, people seem to worry so much about those nasty terrorists. Well, in the US non religios, "standard" murders outweight terrorist atrocities at a rate of OVER 1000 to 1.
    So instead of dark skinned guys with whispy beards and wearing a Kaftan, you should really be worried about that Yank next to you. He could rip out his gun and start shooting everything around hium any second now. Because statistically he is 1000 times more likely to do so.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/03/us/terrorism-gun-violence/index.html

That figure would look different for Europe, since gun violence is less of a factor here.

It's alway easy to say it's the fault of Nazism, terrorism, religion, greed, lust for power and whatever else you fancy, but if human beings were inherently benign and peaceful, would we use every excuse in te book to murder each other and later say "it HAD to be done!"
    This will not change unless we evolve into a more benign species, in the meantime the killing will continue.

You tried to claim "people invented it, maybe with good intentions". I merely pointed out who invented it. He did not have good intentions, unless you are quite twisted.

I don't know, but he still is people ;)
    All the evil in the world doesn't come from God or Aliens, we are quite capable of that ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

So everything points to this being a terror attack from the usual suspects but we are being told it's not a terror attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You forgot Peanut allergies

Ah fook it, I forgot that one.
    It's getting harder to keep track of all the deflection tactics these days.
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    The police don’t seem to think there’s any religious extremist slant and, in my experience, they tend to be fairly forthright if they think there’s a link. There’s no conspiracy, folks.

Why do you think he can’t have a common-or-garden mental illness, some of which make people violent?

To simply blame Muslims is lazy, racist and stupid.

Ah ah repeat after me,
    ISLAM IS NOT A RACE.
    It is a belief system and ideology.
    I am amazed at the amount of times my Muslim friends (Moroccan, Tunisian, Turkish and forgotten where my African work colleague is from) have completely failed to brutally Jihad me and instead have been extremely nice and friendly people.
    No one at the Kebab house has ever attacked me with their huge knives, they've only ever prepared food with them.

Maybe some of them see as a useful idiot making excuses for other hard line fundamentalist muslims.
    BTW have a chat to them about things like homosexuality, women's rights, etc and I bet you any amount not all of them will be quite as nice as you think.
    The problem is the other way round, Islam is not turning people violent, but violent, sadistic assholes who need some cowardly "cause" to murder people are hiding behind religion in order to engage in their rape and murder fantasies. ...

That would be all well and good but for the litany of islamic preachers and religious leaders that have come out and preached death and hatred.
    Somehow I bet you and others would be like flies on a cowpat if an incident occurred of a catholic priest coming out telling their worshipers to slaughter people in the name of god, violently attack gays or even to slap women around.
    Yet we have had numerous very public incidents of the same from islamic preachers to their flocks.
    I'm afraid you don't just get to lazily point at a group of people or belief system. The problem is people. As a race we have a high degree of violent, sadistic, murdering assholes who are looking for an excuse.
    Don't like it? Tough sh*t. That's the truth.
    Humans suck, get used to it.

Funny though how many of the violent, sadistic, murdering, misogynistic assholes belong to one faith in particular, actually one sect of that faith. :rolleyes:

How many times now has mental illness and drug use being used as excuse for attackers of this type.

But look at the commonality of these attackers.

They are different races and from many different racial backgrounds.
    It isn't country of birth as a lot are born and raised in the Western world.
    Some are refugees and migrants, some are not.
    Some are reasonably well educated, some are not.
    It isn't class as some are from rather well to do backgrounds.
    Some have criminal backgrounds and prison records, some don't.
    Some have history of mental illness, some don't.
    It isn't actual the religion they were brought up in as some were of different religions in their childhood.

Now lets look at common themes
    The vast majority are males and young to middle age.
    Every single one of them has an islamic connection at time of attack.

But still some will claim the variables above are the cause and not the glaring fooking point listed last.

Oh and just in case the usual shytology is flung back.
    No one is saying all muslims are terrorists or loony attackers, but you will find 90 something percent of these attacks (not counting la la gun toting USA in here for obvious reasons) are connected to islam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Just an idle thought and very happy to have my figures corrected upwards or downwards. There are 1,500,000,000 Muslims in the world. In the past twenty years, erring on the high side and ignoring mental health factors, let's say that approximately 300 Muslims have perpetrated terrorist atrocities in Western countries.

So 1/5000000, or one in five million or 0.00002% of Muslims have committed atrocities in Western Countries.

• Advertisement

Just an idle thought and very happy to have my figures corrected upwards or downwards. There are 1,500,000,000 Muslims in the world. In the past twenty years, erring on the high side and ignoring mental health factors, let's say that approximately 300 Muslims have perpetrated terrorist atrocities in Western countries.

So 1/5000000, or one in five million or 0.00002% of Muslims have committed atrocities in Western Countries.

How many of the 1,500,000,000 have access to the Western world?

How many have committed atrocities in the Middle East i.e. how many soldiers/supporters have Al Queda, Al Shabaab, IS, The Armed Islamic Group, Boko Haram, The Taliban, Islamic Jihad Union, Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh, Ansar Bangla, Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami, Lashkar-e-Taiba, Jaish-e-Mohammed, Al Badr & Hizbul Mujahideen, The Abu Sayyaf Group, Muslim Brotherhood got?

I'm gonna guess that your 1/5,000,000 number will be a lot smaller.

Advertisement