Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Backlog Completionist Diary

• 20-12-2017 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I realised last night that my cross-platform backlog is so huge, and still growing, that I'll likely never get any satisfaction from owning it unless I actively try to play (maybe even complete) as many games from it as I can.

I've got Steam games that have never been installed, Xbox 360 games still in their wrapping and loads of PS4 games arriving in the post, never mind my Wii U and NES/SNES minis. Hell even some iOS/Android games I never tried!

So I'm starting this thread as a public log to push me to start chipping away at it, and perhaps inspire others that are in the same predicament.

First up: The Last of Us - Remastered (PS4)

Started this one last night, choosing Normal difficulty to make it easier to complete :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I’m terrible for half playing

Although..... I did pick up Mario Odyssey for the switch, stuck with it and completed it!!!

Now if I can just finish crash bandicoot, micro machines, BOTW, MGS V and shovel knight

Then I can wipe the binary dust from rise of the tomb raider that I downloaded last year

And after all that, I’ll start Shadow of Mordor that I picked up in the great Tesco sale and never opened

:D

It pains me when I new games such as red dead redemption 2 are coming out. The backlog is growing before its even released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

in my backlog as well let me know what you think! I've heard great things about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm terrible for buying and not playing! Half playing I'll take!

If a game bores me I won't complete it, this venture is more about actually giving the games I've bought a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

No more games says I , I have enough....

Oh look, someone on adverts has a code for shadow of mordor for 25 euros........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Same though I only have PS4.

Started last week and completed God of War 3 last night then stuck in The Last of Us remaster to make a start on it. I had to drag myself away from it after an hour, havnt been sucked in so quickly by a game in I don't know how long.

• Advertisement

Same though I only have PS4.

Started last week and completed God of War 3 last night then stuck in The Last of Us remaster to make a start on it. I had to drag myself away from it after an hour, havnt been sucked in so quickly by a game in I don't know how long.

yeah I started it around 9pm last night and checked clock and it was 1.30am.. d'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

mrcheez wrote: »
    yeah I started it around 9pm last night and checked clock and it was 1.30am.. d'oh

Enjoy it while it lasts, such a great game, ive replayed it once already, although technically i played it on ps3 and then the remastered on ps4, so that doesnt count as twice right? :D I'm tempted to go again either way :pac:

If i like a game i have to see it through until completion, take the last big finish i done, persona 5, i put 100 hours into it and then i got jaded with it and drifted to other games, it wasnt until months later when i picked it back up and bee lined for the finish, still took another 30 hours but i done it, i just couldnt leave in unfinished :) It's a great game, its just really really long.

I'm now playing FF12 remastered, last time i played it was on ps2 and i gave up on it as i wasnt enjoying the story. But so many people give it high praise, i decided to give it another bash, im older and wiser now so might have the head now to appreciate the political story in it and see it through to the end :)

Then ive got Yakuza 0, the witcher 3 expansions and i think someone got me Okami for chrimbo and then the countless steam games to get through, oh lordy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,693 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nix wrote: »
    I'm now playing FF12 remastered, last time i played it was on ps2 and i gave up on it as i wasnt enjoying the story. But so many people give it high praise, i decided to give it another bash, im older and wiser now so might have the head now to appreciate the political story in it and see it through to the end :)

Hated FF12 on release. Played the remaster and I loved it. the changes they made to the Zodiac job system make it a much, much better game.

Unfortunately the story is amazing until the halfway point when they just rush to see it through. Such a pity Matsuno left as it could have been another Tactics Ogre-esque epic :(

nix wrote: »
    If i like a game i have to see it through until completion

This is the approach I'm going to try to take. I may buy other games in the meantime, but I'm going to try to stick to one main game and perhaps 2/3 smaller side ones if I really can't wait.

I'll see them through to completion if I like them. The chances for replaying anything is pretty slim. I can always come back once I've finished the task at hand.

If I start getting bored, I'll move on, but at least won't feel like I didn't get my money's worth (as I do now when I consider the games I've barely scraped the surface of before I get another one!)

I'm less worried about the numerous free games I've picked up, but sure I'll give them all at least a shot to see if they are my cup of tea.

100% played on Steam / Oculus / UPlay / GOG / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Wii U / NES mini / SNES mini / iPad / Android is the ultimate aim here :)

oh yeah and all my Genesis / MAME roms...hmm this is going to be huge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Jayisplay

Thought I'd join this group as I'm in the same situation. Between PS3 and ps4 I have about 250 games not even played. So I think the best way is one game at a time, starting with assassins creed origins, I'm a fair bit into it and when I'm done that , onto the excitement of picking out the next one. Also I think it's ok to play a couple of online games as well like FIFA or cod.

P.s. Even if I don't really like a game I still have to finish it , sad I know 😨

Jayisplay wrote: »
    Thought I'd join this group as I'm in the same situation. Between PS3 and ps4 I have about 250 games not even played. So I think the best way is one game at a time, starting with assassins creed origins, I'm a fair bit into it and when I'm done that , onto the excitement of picking out the next one. Also I think it's ok to play a couple of online games as well like FIFA or cod.

P.s. Even if I don't really like a game I still have to finish it , sad I know 😨

Cool, good idea to make this into a group as it can sorta work to encourage each other to keep at it. 😁

Haven't done any updates lately due to Xmas/NewYear getting in the way, but I've completed Last of Us (awesome) and a few Steam games have been completed (or at least played-till-bored-of-it!)...just gonna finish Last of Us DLC and then will post up current status in a day or so.

Latest update

COMPLETED
    Last of Us (PS4)
    Last of Us DLC - Left Behind (PS4) - Superb games, felt really satisfied when I got to the end credits on both.

Kingdom: Classic (Steam) - Simple pixel-art strategy game that is surprisingly good fun

Total so far: 3

TRIED BUT NOT BOTHERING WITH AGAIN
    Killer is Dead (Steam) - Boring
    The Last Remnant (Steam) - Boring
    Mini Ninjas (Steam) - Boring
    Syberia 2 (Steam) - Wanted to like this but grew frustrated with the gameplay, also I prefer gamepad-only nowadays, not mouse or keyb/mouse.

Total so far: 4

NEXT UP
    South Park - The Fractured But Whole (PS4)

Bought the Collector's Edition of this over Xmas purely for the Coon figurine but I reckon I'll sell on the game once I've completed it.

Feeling a lot better about my backlog, even clearing out the sh1tty games that I know I'd be suffering with if I tried to force myself to play them. Most of those are Humble Bundle fodder or free games.

So what you you think of last of us , I wish I never played it before and was only starting it, what a game.
    Still on assassins origins , what a big game, map is probably biggest I've ever played, very good game though. Think I still have 5 assassins games left to play out of my huge back log.
    Your starting south park I still have the first one on PS3 still in plastic haha.
    I actually said to my wife before if you were allowed play games in prison, I wouldn't mind getting locked up for a year so I could get through loads 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Jayisplay wrote: »
    I actually said to my wife before if you were allowed play games in prison, I wouldn't mind getting locked up for a year so I could get through loads 😂😂😂

Prisoners were allowed to play up to a PS2 if I recall (read online, not firsthand btw!) because PS2 isn’t internet capable

Anyway, I’m adding Horizon Zero Dawn to the backlog. It’s €20 on PSN at the minute. Looks good but I’ll let update here in 2020 when I get to it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I've quite the backlog there myself and I'm finally jaded with Dark Souls and souls like games. I started Hitman Absolution last week which is ok but quite tough on the 2nd hardest difficulty. I've also been playing Devil May Cry 3. I got the HD collection just before Christmas. Couldn't take to the first game but having a great time with 3.

Then it's onto Mass Effect 2 and 3 which I'm looking forward to as heard great things. I couldn't find ME 1 anywhere. I'm starting to think it didn't get a Playstation release.

I've so many more games there so I've made a commitment to myself to not buy any more games until my backlog is finished (or something I really really want comes out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Prince Freezing Farm

I use The Game Collection app on android to try and keep track of my games. I have a huge backlog due to owning a PS4 and Xbox One with Plus and GWG adding to the carnage. For Christmas my wife got me a Switch.

Last night I got to the ending of Mario Odyssey with about 270 moons. I'm going to get to at least 500 before starting Zelda Breath of the Wild. Will dip into Mario here and there collecting more moons. I also need to finish Oxenfree which should be quick and play Life is Strange Before the Storm. Then I'll plan to play and finish Yakuza Kiwami. It's meant to be much shorter than Yakuza 0.

If I get that done in the next few months I'll be doing well. Then I'll go back to the backlog and pick more but I fear some great Switch games will have come out by then.

I think secret is to not do too many big games in sequence as otherwise you'll wear yourself out.

Just playing through Inside at the moment before I start into South Park as apparently SP is a bigger game than I originally thought. Pretty much a full RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've 100s of games in my backlog, and I'm not going to touch them, I've come to terms with that....I still subscribe to Humble Bundle and get new games every month.
    But like last year I'm going to make a point of getting through 3-4 big games at least early in the year....when I get the chance in between Overwatch and PS VR.

Last year I decided it was finally time to see what the 'Dark Souls' buzz was about and completed 1,2,3 between January - March.

This time for 2018 I have a list of AAA's I bought last year but never got around to playing that I'm gonna work through as people raved on about them. The ones I've decided to choose 2 or 3 from are as below...unfortunately some of them are very long games from what I've read.

- Persona 5
    - Nier Automata
    - Nioh
    - Yakuza Kiwami
    - Hellblade - Senua's sacrifice
    - Dishonored 2
    - Hollow Night

I completed Horizon Zero Dawn within the last week so that's already off the list .

I've quite the backlog there myself and I'm finally jaded with Dark Souls and souls like games. I started Hitman Absolution last week which is ok but quite tough on the 2nd hardest difficulty. I've also been playing Devil May Cry 3. I got the HD collection just before Christmas. Couldn't take to the first game but having a great time with 3.

Then it's onto Mass Effect 2 and 3 which I'm looking forward to as heard great things. I couldn't find ME 1 anywhere. I'm starting to think it didn't get a Playstation release.

I've so many more games there so I've made a commitment to myself to not buy any more games until my backlog is finished (or something I really really want comes out).
    I saw mass effect trilogy on ps store today for PS3 for about 4.99 I think

• Advertisement

aaaand another one bites the dust

COMPLETED
    Inside (PS4) - great little title, but very odd ending

Total cleared off backlog so far: 8

NEXT UP ( for real this time)
    South Park - The Fractured But Whole (PS4)

While getting through these games I keep thinking back fondly to my experience with The Last of Us (less so the DLC). Something about the characters/story and the interactions/experiences resonates with me and I'll remember it fondly for years to come. Can't pinpoint why exactly but I did feel like I couldn't put it down and felt really fulfilled seeing it through to the conclusion.

I'm enjoying the SP game, but it's no Last of Us ;)

Got a few VR games out of the way in the meantime...

Raw Data (free on Oculus this weekend). Good fun but becomes a little repetitive so gonna considered it played as far as I'd be interested in going.

Eleven (Oculus) Not really possible to complete as it's a table tennis sim, but it's been the most fun I've had in a while and definitely got my money's worth so far. This will be my goto VR game for a while.

Gun Club VR (Oculus) Only paid €3 for this but I've already got that much enjoyment out of it and will come back for more. Learned an awful lot about using real guns and how to switch the safety and prep gun after inserting a clip.

Total cleared off backlog so far: 11

Still going with assassins creed origins, I think the end is in sight phew

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I reckon i have fifty games i need to finish after playing about a hour in each of them :o
    I cant help buying them on sale, since i only play on the weekend i mainly play sports games

irishman86 wrote: »
    I reckon i have fifty games i need to finish after playing about a hour in each of them :o
    I cant help buying them on sale, since i only play on the weekend i mainly play sports games

Look at it this way. If you got your money's worth out of them then feel satisfied that you don't need to worry about playing them again.

It's the games you buy and NEVER play that are the real problem ;)

Hooray

Completed: assassins creed origins

Next up: Lego batman PS3

Ok don't know how to change the font like u mrcheez

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

mrcheez wrote: »
    Look at it this way. If you got your money's worth out of them then feel satisfied that you don't need to worry about playing them again.

It's the games you buy and NEVER play that are the real problem ;)

Hah i dont know if i did get value from them
    Im currently working through them, need to finish three before i buy another one system :pac:

• Advertisement

a few more cleared off...

COMPLETED
    Until Dawn Rush of Blood (PSVR) - so good
    Superhot (PSVR) - I completed this before but it's superb so had another full playthrough today

Total cleared off backlog so far: 13

still slogging through South Park - The Fractured But Whole (PS4)

Advertisement