Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that aren’t acceptable to do anymore that should be allowed.

• 18-12-2017 3:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Spurned by a conversation with friends, we were talking about things that aren’t acceptable to do anymore. And while some are justified and others feel they are more so a product of a PC generation, wanted to see what AH thought.

A couple to get you started.

Being able to bring kids to the pub AFTER 7:30pm.

Being able to buy paracetamol in containers bigger than 24

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You should be able to slap your child in public if they are being an absolute pain in the a%% and annoying everyone around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Send your kids to the shop for smokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

faceman wrote: »

Completely disagree with you on this one.

I'd actually go so far as to ban kids from pubs completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

me_irl wrote: »

The poor staff when ye see them running wild won’t get a tip either

Being able to buy Neurofen Plus without being interrogated as if you are a drug addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Buy alcohol after 10pm in an off licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Spurned by a conversation with friends, we were talking about things that aren’t acceptable to do anymore. And while some are justified and others feel they are more so a product of a PC generation, wanted to see what AH thought.

****.That.

Also, what on Earth is 'PC' about not wanting kids in the boozer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Make changes to your own house without being forced to hire qualified nail hitters to do every little job for you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My whole childhood consisted of being sent to the shop for fags for one relative or another.
    Opening the front door and letting your kid run wild for the day with no form of contact or notion of their whereabouts for hours without social services getting involved. Not sure if this should be allowed now though. Times have changed, but it's mad to think about what people were let away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Birneybau wrote: »

****.That.

Also, what on Earth is 'PC' about not wanting kids in the boozer?
    Not sure, don't agree with it myself.
    Maybe it's considered ageist or something, parentist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Go to a fancy dress as a black lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Turn left at the top of the Whitworth Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Being a kid in a pub is miserable as is, its even worse during the evenings. The fact its not allowed anymore is a ****ing blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

buy alcohol on a Sat or Sunday morning, gobshiite nanny state

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 34,610 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

anna080 wrote: »
    Opening the front door and letting your kid run wild for the day with no form of contact or notion of their whereabouts for hours without social services getting involved. Not sure if this should be allowed now though. Times have changed, but it's mad to think about what people were let away with.

I'd be happier letting a child (if I had one) out now with CCTV and phone coverage everywhere than 20-30 years ago when they were basically off radar the whole time they were out.

the notion that 'times have changed for the worse' is something people say every generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's amazing how times changes. I know parents and if they heard a child was in a pub for about an hour they'd nearly call social services but the same people knock back several bottles of wine every week on the couch. The amount of five years old's that know mammy loves her wine is a little scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Buy alcohol after 10pm in an off licence
    silverharp wrote: »
    buy alcohol on a Sat or Sunday morning, gobshiite nanny state

these aren't due to nanny state - it's protectionism by publicans, many of whom sit in the Dáil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Make changes to your own house without being forced to hire qualified nail hitters to do every little job for you

Which is grand up until you sell it on and someone else has to deal with your* ****ty work

*I obviously don't mean you directly here, I love the DIY myself but I've seen the ****ty work other people have done and have had the misfortune of living in a building done by cowboys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

"Yore Ma" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

driving an old car or a car with a big engine

Which is grand up until you sell it on and someone else has to deal with your* ****ty work

*I obviously don't mean you directly here, I love the DIY myself but I've seen the ****ty work other people have done and have had the misfortune of living in a building done by cowboys

They don't have to buy it if they're not happy with the work

driving an old car or a car with a big engine

Hmmm? I have a car that's 26 year old and another one with a 2.7L petrol engine, drove them both today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I have plenty of good memories watching rugby/football matches in pubs as a kid. Games I couldn't have watched otherwise. At the very least exceptions should be made for sports events.

matthew8 wrote: »
    I have plenty of good memories watching rugby/football matches in pubs as a kid. Games I couldn't have watched otherwise. At the very least exceptions should be made for sports events.
    Seriously? Worst time to bring kids to the pub IMO. People f'in and blindin at the screen, place heaving with bodies.

Maybe in the 70s when not everyone had a telly, but nowadays there's no reason for it.
    I remember watching Italia '90 at home with about twenty of us squeezed into the sitting room and USA '94 at a BBQ in the back garden of a family friend, both great craic. No need for surrounding kids with drunk randomers.

Being able to buy Neurofen Plus without being interrogated as if you are a drug addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,212 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Hmmm? I have a car that's 26 year old and another one with a 2.7L petrol engine, drove them both today

my car is 16 years old, and could not get a quote from insurance companies other than the one i am with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

2smiggy wrote: »
    my car is 16 years old, and could not get a quote from insurance companies other than the one i am with.

If I was an insurance company I would assume somebody with a 16 year old car must be a careful driver.....at least if they had the car from new or for a long time,which a lot of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

archer22 wrote: »
    If I was an insurance company I would assume somebody with a 16 year old car must be a careful driver.....at least if they had the car from new or for a long time,which a lot of them do.

Except they don't assume you're a careful driver, they think you're driving a banger as you can't afford a new car and that there's more chance of you having crash. Probably no stats to back that up but they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

loyatemu wrote: »
    these aren't due to nanny state - it's protectionism by publicans, many of whom sit in the Dáil.

I'd agree with you on the after 10pm. the morning one not sure, that's just people topping up their stock for weekend meals or at this stage doing the xmas stocking up, they aint going to the pub because the Supermarket isles are closed.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer