Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that aren’t acceptable to do anymore that should be allowed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Giving your secretary a pat on her gorgeous ass when she makes your coffee just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Marje wrote: »
    County council binmen collecting weekly rubbish and you could leave anything out and they would take it.

Even a bold child..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

County council binmen collecting weekly rubbish and you could leave anything out and they would take it.

And throwing the dustbins more or less in the general direction of your house after emptying them, with the result that the lids no longer fitted properly because the bins were so bent out of shape from being flung about. Nowadays our wheelie bins are the same shape as when we got them and the lids still fit. It's disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Kids were more free. These days kids are wrapped up in tinfoil and put in the oven for 20 minutes per pound... sorry, I started thinking of cooking Christmas dinner there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

The babysitter will need a Fetac Level 5 certificate in childcare, an up to date first aid and safeguarding course, 10 years experience and 7 references.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well in fairness the 12yr old was probably running up the landline bill ringing some spotty 15 year old and sneaking a few smokes from the parents stash while the kiddies were asleep.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Keep a dog that has white ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

faceman wrote: »
    Being able to bring kids to the pub AFTER 7:30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

those old bin trucks could eat anything put in front of them,saw one eating 7 interior house doors at one address one morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Once kids are familiar with the route to school they should be walking it themselves. I was walking with my friend, unaccompanied by an adult, to school at the age of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Age 8 I was getting the bus from kimmage to school in ballyfermot alone. Age 10 my cousin can't go to school alone.
    The school is literally on the same street, about 3 minute walk away..

Parents need to stop babying their children so much.

The respect that young people had for adults. You just knew as a child there was a line to be crossed and you'd get a slap on the head. Now it's adults that step lightly around children.

Bonfires on Holloween. The fun of a whole estate or community coming together to have a bonfire with various food and drinks.

Steet food was more common. Those vans that did a variety of greasy fast food outside clubs or any event. (I know they're still around but there used to be far more of them)

And lastly the death of the bar scene. Sure, drink driving and smoking inside were bad, but the traditional bar scene in rural Ireland has mostly died.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

driving an old car or a car with a big engine

My car will be 40 years old next year, costs a fraction of what my ten year old one does to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You should be able to slap your child in public if they are being an absolute pain in the a%% and annoying everyone around them.

Yeah that's not exactly what I go to the pub for , to see or hear a child making a racket and then to see it's parent give it a good shlap followed by floods of tears. UUGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Cycling anywhere just because it was handier or you couldn't afford a car.
    These days your a 'cyclist' and everyone hates you.

somefeen wrote: »
    Cycling anywhere just because it was handier or you couldn't afford a car.
    These days your a 'cyclist' and everyone hates you.

Just if you insist on cycling on the footpath (not the bike lane). I can certainly understand someone cycling on the footpath if the road is particularly busy/narrow, but some cyclists seem to think they have more right to the footpath than pedestrians. Would be nice if they actually used the bells on their bikes rather than ghosting along behind you and then zipping past when they "think" they have an opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Air guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Spurned by a conversation with friends, we were talking about things that aren’t acceptable to do anymore. And while some are justified and others feel they are more so a product of a PC generation, wanted to see what AH thought.

A couple to get you started.

Being able to buy paracetamol in containers bigger than 24

Correct grammar on Boards.

It should read 'Spurred on by...' not 'Spurned by...'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A serious decline in the art of conversation. Everyone just stares blankly into their phone and don't bother talking to anyone.

• Advertisement

Guillotining people who whinge about not being allowed to be arseholes to the poor & those who call themselves “anti PC” as if that’s a good thing and not the scummiest, filthiest, below-the-level-of-arse-pus-from-a-burst-colonic-ulcer, excuse for a feeling thing on earth.

Rules are there for a F***ing reason. Sit the f*** down, shut the f*** up and follow the f***ing Rules.

Ye might as well be looking for Holy Hour to be brought back.

Edit: I’m narky tonight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

You should be able to slap your child in public if they are being an absolute pain in the a%% and annoying everyone around them.

And any random stranger who witnesses you slapping a child in public should be allowed to slap you twice as hard and face no sanction.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    And any random stranger who witnesses you slapping a child in public should be allowed to slap you twice as hard and face no sanction.

Except for a punch in the face in return.

Look. I get the need to reduce physical abuse of children, but slapping a child for misbehaving is not abuse.

Look. I get the need to reduce physical abuse of children, but slapping a child for misbehaving is not abuse.

I disagree. An adult reprimanding a child by slapping them is abuse.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Little Johnny could do with a good crack on the arse

Fair enough. I was slapped as a child/teen when I badly misbehaved and I've never considered any of it as abusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Fair enough. I was slapped as a child/teen when I badly misbehaved and I've never considered any of it as abusive.

So was I. I didn't think it was abuse back then but times have changed and I think that now we should know better than to resort to hitting children to get them to bend to our will.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Just if you insist on cycling on the footpath (not the bike lane). I can certainly understand someone cycling on the footpath if the road is particularly busy/narrow, but some cyclists seem to think they have more right to the footpath than pedestrians. Would be nice if they actually used the bells on their bikes rather than ghosting along behind you and then zipping past when they "think" they have an opening.

Yes but if you cycle on the road some dumbass will hate you for delaying him by 10 seconds.
    Or someone will hate you because they think you hate them for driving an old car with a big engine
    If your on a narrow road and you pull off and stop to let a car pass another cyclist will hate you for letting the car drivers think they own the road.
    If you cycle in the cycle lane mister neon ****ing gimpsuit will whizz past with inches to spare probably hating you for adding a fraction of a second to his commute time.

You can't win, everyone is judging you just for getting on a bike in a public place these days. I'm a sensitive chap and it takes about ten minutes of self affirmations that I'm a good person and other peoples opinions of me don't matter just to get the fecking thing out of the shed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A serious decline in the art of conversation. Everyone just stares blankly into their phone and don't bother talking to anyone.

Maybe if you weren’t so boring we’d talk to you. :p

Advertisement