Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So 4 travellers walk into a bar.....

Options
  • 18-12-2017 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭

... and walk out with €6000 each.

"FOUR TRAVELLER MEN were compensated €6,000 each after being refused service in a bar in Maynooth.
    The members of the Traveller community were denied service and told that only regulars were being served on the night in question."

What do you make of that? If I got refused from a bar I'd just go to another bar.

http://www.thejournal.ie/traveller-men-compensated-3756238-Dec2017/

My fav quote from the article is:

"The group had been attending a human rights course when they had decided to go for a drink to a nearby pub."

lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Mary and Joseph were born two thousand years too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Shouldn’t have given a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

... and walk out with €6000 each.

"FOUR TRAVELLER MEN were compensated €6,000 each after being refused service in a bar in Maynooth.
    The members of the Traveller community were denied service and told that only regulars were being served on the night in question."

What do you make of that? If I got refused from a bar I'd just go to another bar.

http://www.thejournal.ie/traveller-men-compensated-3756238-Dec2017/

My fav quote from the article is:

"The group had been attending a human rights course when they had decided to go for a drink to a nearby pub."

lol

What do you think yourself ?
    And why is that your favourite quote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I say fair fcuks to them. I'm sick sh1t of being told "sorry bud, regulars only" because I happen to be wearing some slightly scruffy clothes and subsequently being let in after donning some clean designer made in China garments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Seems straight forward that the bar was in breach of the law. Personally I think it's a nonsense law but what can you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not tonight lads was a very usual saying.

What the fcuk this sh1t has to stop.

Republican has a right to refuse once not on discrimination grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

You could probably be fairly confident of getting served in the next pub. Not these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Republican has a right to refuse once not on discrimination grounds.

Didn't know the Ra weren't letting Travellers join...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

What do you think yourself ?
    And why is that your favourite quote ?

I think if I got refused from a bar I'd just go to another bar. Plenty of times I've heard "Not tonight, sorry" and I go to a different bar and get served. I wouldn't be thinking of suing the establishment like.

Didn't know the Ra weren't letting Travellers join...

Well spotted.... I entered it wrong my bad;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Everyone's money is good should have been served now to perfect my traveller impersonation 6k would be nice lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think if I got refused from a bar I'd just go to another bar. Plenty of times I've heard "Not tonight, sorry" and I go to a different bar and get served. I wouldn't be thinking of suing the establishment like.

It's amazing that pubs still have to be educated on anti-discrimination legislation. 15 years ago I had to tell a bouncer that if he refused me entry based on what I was wearing I'd be off to the solicitor in the morning and sue them. You can't discriminate on gender, dress, sexuality, or ethnicity. If they're not drunk you have to let them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Why were you told 'not tonight, sorry?'

some people view this as a "business opportunity" - along with minor car crashes where you sue your sister who was driving. might have been the sister's 3rd car crash in 2 years but sure.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

kylith wrote: »
    It's amazing that pubs still have to be educated on anti-discrimination legislation. 15 years ago I had to tell a bouncer that if he refused me entry based on what I was wearing I'd be off to the solicitor in the morning and sue them. You can't discriminate on gender, dress, sexuality, or ethnicity. If they're not drunk you have to let them in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a bar is private property, the owners/bouncers have the right to refuse admission to whomever they like?

I stand to be corrected if I'm way off on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

glasso wrote: »
    some people view this as a "business opportunity" - along with minor car crashes where you sue your sister who was driving. might have been the sister's 3rd car crash in 2 years but sure.....

and your sister could also be your wife..

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

JustShay wrote: »
    I know somebody who works in Carrickmines, and they go around in their PJs constantly robbing the shops!
    Tell your friend to change out of their PJs and get a real job FFS.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Dress sense isn't covered under equality legislation, so you can be refused entry based on what you're wearing.

Certain establishment have certain dress codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

glasso wrote: »

Women drivers. Tut.

That's about 6 grands worth in this day and age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

James 007 wrote: »
    Tell your friend to change out of their PJs and get a real job FFS.:rolleyes:

The cheek!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

When I was a barman years ago, three guys strolled in. I had an idea they were travellers, but wasn't a hundred percent and there wasn't a whole lot I could have done or said about serving/refusing them.

After a few hours my boss notices their faces on the CCTV from his office upstairs. He immediately phoned down to me and told me to tell them they'd had enough, they were barred and had to leave. The lads had drank about 8 pints of Guinness each at this stage, but looked sober as judges. Anyway, the next time one of them came to the bar, I said I couldn't serve them anymore. He asked why, I said he'd had enough, but he knew it was due to him being a traveller, he said that he would smash the bar up and kick the **** out of me if I didn't serve him and that if I did he wouldn't cause any trouble. I was on my own at 7pm on a Thursday, my boss was too afraid to come downstairs, so I served them another round of Guinness.

The bouncers then showed up at about 20 minutes later, this lead to a massive fight outside. The bouncers got a serious hiding, the guards arrived soon after, but quickly left when they saw who was involved.

I'm not sure the moral of the story, but it was a scary and memorable situation at the same time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I don't think people should be discriminated against for who they are.

But on the other hand I do think a person has a right to refuse their services/work to someone if they believe, often from past experiences, that it will just cause them trouble and hassel.

For instance why should a pub or club allow a bunch of guys in a stag if they had hassel from stags annoying female customers in the past.

And like it or not some of the the particular group in question in this incident have caused some major damage to licensed premises in the past.

One question I would ask of all those who says fair fecks to them is ...
    would you like seeing this legal avenue being used and the claimants winning if it was a bunch of swastika tattooed national fronters who were the ones denied access.
    BTW I am not comparing said 4 men with vile hate filled knuckleheads.
    I am saying people might have a reason to refuse admission sometimes.

BTW I have been turned away from establishments and in case of one well known watering hole near a university being asked to go round the back because I was a student.
    And I told the barman shag off he wouldn't be getting any further custom from me because he had no problem serving me when on my own and he didn't think I was a student.
    But I didn't threaten legal action or run off to sue them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a bar is private property, the owners/bouncers have the right to refuse admission to whomever they like?

I stand to be corrected if I'm way off on that.

Consider yourself corrected.

You're completely wrong. Hard to know where to start, did you actually think "private property" is a defence to an allegation of discrimination? Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Near every pub near Ballymote in Sligo has a permanent "Private Party" sing in the window, so they can refuse travellers as soon as they walk in.

Sure if they abide by the law, then there'd be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

You know what. I'd usually be against this, but f*ck it, unless they have history, then why should they be refused? Becase they'll make the regulars nervous?
    If they were black and refused, it would be a different story. Or Spanish and refused.
    If they have history of being scumbags, then fair enough.
    It's like the old days with the night clubs. Well, in LImerick anyway. "Sorry bud. Not tonight. Regulars only." F*ck off....

See the difference here is they get free legal aid....

They get the best of legal council and an ordinary hard worker would be laughed at.

Simple really don't serve as you believe they are intoxicated already...

Don't get into religion or appearances etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

You can discriminate on the basis of dress (unless maybe it's national dress) and dress isn't considered part of any equality legislation I've ever heard of. Also lol at you whinging to the bouncers about suing the gaff, if I'd a pound for every time I heard that yarn on the door I'd be loaded.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I wonder which pub it was, some of them are pretty big so it'd be obvious they are ****ting you

Pmsl at this
    The men were in the company of the chairwoman of the United Nations Committee on the elimination of racial discrimination at the time, making the error on the part of the premises even more glaring. Anastasia Crickley, the aforementioned UN official, had been addressing the men from Dublin, Kerry and Donegal at a course on human rights in Maynooth University, according to the Mail On Sunday.
    They then went to a popular pub close to the university to enjoy a drink after watching a movie on Martin Luther King's civil rights' movement, but once the barman consulted with his manager over whether or not to serve the men, they were told that it was a night for regulars.
    "When they were refused, we could hardly believe it. This was happening in front of the UN committee head on eliminating racial discrimination, you couldn't make it up," said Ms Ronnie Fay, co-director of Pavee Point Travellers group, who was also part of the group.

https://www.kildarenow.com/uncategorized/traveller-men-take-civil-action-maynooth-pub-refused-serve/155522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

There's legislation to say you can't discriminate based on dress the same way you can't based on the others you listed? Really?

Advertisement