Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic changes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Road-Hog wrote: »
    But thousands refuse to avoid the city centre. Have you tried to get parking during the day anywhere on the quay, Bolton st new gasworks car park or others.......evidence suggests people are doing anything but avoiding the placw

And plenty like the poster above prefer free parking and usually lots of it on the ring road. I'm also of one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

And plenty like the poster above prefer free parking and usually lots of it on the ring road. I'm also of one of them

It’s not even the parking Harry. It’s the increasing hassle of getting in and out of there. There’s nothing in there that I want or need that I can’t get on the outskirts of town . The current carry on is just reinforcing this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

It’s not even the parking Harry. It’s the increasing hassle of getting in and out of there. There’s nothing in there that I want or need that I can’t get on the outskirts of town . The current carry on is just reinforcing this for me.

But huge numbers obviously think there is lots for them in the city centre area and are willing to forego the 'hassle' etc that you can't deal with. Did you ever try to drive to city centre/down town New York or London....? Yet both city centres are thronged with people.....you are extaplolating your own myopic view to the population at large......the evidence on the ground doesn't support it

Same applies to you Harry palmer.......your own view of the world likes/dislikes/ opinions/perceptions are just yours.......by all means express them but evidence suggests they are non-representative.......city centre shopping still remains popular....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Funnily enough there was lads (business owners) on Newstalk there during the week complaining about the lack of footfall in a part of Dublin City due to traffic management issues :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Road-Hog wrote: »
    But huge numbers obviously think there is lots for them in the city centre area and are willing to forego the 'hassle' etc that you can't deal with. Did you ever try to drive to city centre/down town New York or London....? Yet both city centres are thronged with people.....you are extaplolating your own myopic view to the population at large......the evidence on the ground doesn't support it

Same applies to you Harry palmer.......your own view of the world likes/dislikes/ opinions/perceptions are just yours.......by all means express them but evidence suggests they are non-representative.......city centre shopping still remains popular....

Ah yes...Times Square, Trafalgar Square and...er Arundel Square.
    Didn’t say I couldn’t deal with the current set up, I said I choose not to . Last time I checked it wasn’t compulsory.
    I will continue to support local businesses on the outskirts of town if that’s ok with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Ah yes...Times Square, Trafalgar Square and...er Arundel Square.
    Didn’t say I couldn’t deal with the current set up, I said I choose not to . Last time I checked it wasn’t compulsory.
    I will continue to support local businesses on the outskirts of town if that’s ok with you.

Totally your choice I don't think anyone really cares where you shop or park but making and extrapolating simplistic generalisations is another example of the negative and moaning attitudes that are all too common

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When objections to the greenroute were aired to the planners, their basic answer was, the green has been started and now it must be finished.

See the thread on here relating to Dunphys shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Back for my Thursday update. The corner at the right hand corner of Bunkers Hill is being reconstructed so we had to shout into one of the builders to press the button for the green man for us.
    Bath Street has now been split into 3 lanes but only 1 is open. Filter light from Bunkers Hill still isn't on for long enough and there are more and more cars jumping the light. We were crossing on the green man and in the kiddie of road when a car came around from Bunkers Hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Funnily enough there was lads (business owners) on Newstalk there during the week complaining about the lack of footfall in a part of Dublin City due to traffic management issues :D

Brown Thomas today was as busy as ever today!
    Almost one sales assistant per customer and these people were spending!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Brown Thomas today was as busy as ever today!
    Almost one sales assistant per customer and these people were spending!

Brown Thomas close to Christmas brings on some heavy PTSD on me.

"The horror"

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

One week before Christmas they are starting this :confused:

One-way system commencing at Railway Square / Manor St from 15th December

All outbound traffic on Manor St will be diverted onto Railway Square and the Poleberry Link Road from this Friday 15th.

Traffic Management will be in place at the Bath St - Manor St - College St. junction on Thursday 14th December from 10:00am and through out Thursday night. This is to facilitate the installation of new traffic signals.
    24991465_10155268954179423_7975829116500901409_n.png?oh=aebf1ed7e8fdcbfc2e7eed7dcf0c52ff&oe=5ACE263A

On the map on Facebook it looks like there'll be no right turn from Bunkers Hill towards Topaz/Morris's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

smaoifs wrote: »
    On the map on Facebook it looks like there'll be no right turn from Bunkers Hill towards Topaz/Morris's.

Ah i doubt that. Sure how would anyone get out that way bar driving all over the place. As far as i can see on the plans it is no straight through to Bath St from Bunkers Hill (as it is now). You can turn right and left from Bunkers Hill with Manor Street being one way. I am of course open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

It does look like it'll be left only coming down bunkers hill. Looks like kerbing put in pushing cars into town from Manor Street. Will just push more cars to go across residential areas in Hennessey road/ McDermott road/ Ceannt Road area's to get to the likes of Morris's, social welfare office, community care units.

wendydoll wrote: »
    It does look like it'll be left only coming down bunkers hill. Looks like kerbing put in pushing cars into town from Manor Street. Will just push more cars to go across residential areas in Hennessey road/ McDermott road/ Ceannt Road area's to get to the likes of Morris's, social welfare office, community care units.

Absolute madness if that is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure people will just have to keep going until they hit the RSC roundabout.

ps obviously doing this work the week before Christmas makes perfect sense in the la la land of the public sector.

Why don't they do it after Christmas and before New Year I wonder? :p

I'm hearing rumours that the great work Waterford City Council paid to have carried out for the betterment of our city is all to be undone and returned to
    its former glory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

I'm hearing rumours that the great work Waterford City Council paid to have carried out for the betterment of our city is all to be undone and returned to
    its former glory!

Are you talking about The Quay?

BBM77 wrote: »

Apologies BBM77, I am!

I'm hearing rumours that the great work Waterford City Council paid to have carried out for the betterment of our city is all to be undone and returned to its former glory!

Please let this be true and let the Bath Street works be halted before they go any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

BBM77 wrote: »

Talking nonsense probably

Max Powers wrote: »
    Talking nonsense probably

He may not be Max as i heard it too and from somebody working in the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

alta stare wrote: »
    He may not be Max as i heard it too and from somebody working in the council.

What are they going to do make it two lanes again and get rid of the roundabouts?

What are they going to do make it two lanes again and get rid of the roundabouts?

Yeah i was told they were planning on putting it back the way it was. To be fair i wouldnt know what to believe sometimes when it comes to WCC but the person who told me is there a long time and would know if something like this was on the cards. Personally id be surprised if they did tear it up.

Does anyone know if notes are kept from council meetings for the public?

Someone told me they read figures showing a shape decrease in footfall on the quay since the quay was done, but I can't find figures.

They also had figures for average travel time from the bridge to the Tower at different times of the day. This would be very interesting, my Google time line rates the quay as red most times during the day but I never go down the so I don't have my own Google timeline data.

I was at a regional meeting in Railway square today, most came down the motorway and were delayed. The visitors couldn't fathom the new layout and asked what the best alternative route would be, I could only suggest the toll bridge and the ring road and come in from John's Park to park in Railway Square.

The meeting had been moved to Kilkenny for next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

alta stare wrote: »
    Yeah i was told they were planning on putting it back the way it was. To be fair i wouldnt know what to believe sometimes when it comes to WCC but the person who told me is there a long time and would know if something like this was on the cards. Personally id be surprised if they did tear it up.
    I heard something similar about 6 months ago and thought nothing more of it. Just a bit of gossip. However, about a month ago I was told that most of the shop owners on The Quay were given letters by the WCCC stating that all the works on the Quay were reverting back to the way it was before. The source of all this info is very reliable. I did not hear it direct from that person so can't be 100% sure. So if anyone out there knows anyone who owns a shop or a property on The Quay please ask them!

As an aside, and to quote Fr Ted: what the fup is the story with the 100 metre 2 foot wall with railing that is taking an eternity (2 months +) to build. Its at the front of the first car park adjacent to the Plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if notes are kept from council meetings for the public?

Someone told me they read figures showing a shape decrease in footfall on the quay since the quay was done, but I can't find figures.

I would'nt be @ all surprised IMO. Its chaos at the best of times. Its neither pedestrian or commuter friendly. Just some planner architect dude indulging his wildest town planning fantasies.
    The biggest of should I say the fatal mistake of The Quay @ present is the presence of the two large roundabouts. Or maybe its the 2 cycle lanes that have about 0.5% usage!

The most common question I'm asked from tourists is, we got delayed on the quay yesterday, can you recommend an alternative, that's the point, the isn't one. Most tourists I deal with are coming on from the n24 and doing the Viking Triangle and then Funnier or Tramore.

What does the council want them to do, park in Sally Park and walk in?

Will we just make the quay one way towards the Tower and make Bridge at one way towards the bridge? May as well try it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The most common question I'm asked from tourists is, we got delayed on the quay yesterday

I have to say i find that very hard to believe.

Today for example i did the full length of the quay twice with no hold up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Waterboy2014

If this is actually true, I give up. The quay is so much better than it was in the past. I am so tired of listening to people quoting the quay as the biggest mistake ever made by the council. So ridiculous. So many terrible planning decisions that I could name. The quay is so much more attractive and I've never had to wait for more than 15 mins to travel the full length. Anyway living in a major urban area means traffic and it's completely naive to expect traffic free driving. I really wonder what sort of people have such expectations.

Aside from it being a terrible idea to revert back to the past, the cost is completely unjustified. Whatever about tweaking what is in place, a complete reversion is so wasteful.

How is it not possible to understand that the quay will have traffic on it no matter what way it is laid out... it's city centre traffic. End of!

Advertisement