Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Wheres the building site and what are they building?

Railway Square and Poleberry leading onto Bath Street are the only places with road works,there is no road works or a building site on the Manor or Bath street where all the bollards are.

It's a work in progress...or in other words a building site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

They're not building anything...so in other words a complete mess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They will be. It's part of a process with a lot of changes on that and surrounding streets and other streets across the city.

JohnC. wrote: »
    They will be. It's part of a process with a lot of changes on that and surrounding streets and other streets across the city.

What will they be building?

Some physical changes to the road, paths and cycle lanes.

• Advertisement

They're not building anything...so in other words a complete mess

Yes they are, see John's explanation above.there is a a good bit more construction work to be done at that junction (especially on good shepherd side) and further back in poleberry too so its gonna be a building site for a while yet, never a good time to do it I suppose.the council had a document with drawings of new layouts some time ago if people want to see what it will look like after construction.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Yes they are, see John's explanation above.there is a a good bit more construction work to be done at that junction (especially on good shepherd side) and further back in poleberry too so its gonna be a building site for a while yet, never a good time to do it I suppose.the council had a document with drawings of new layouts some time ago if people want to see what it will look like after construction.

Yes but now they are not building anything on the manor or bath street they just used bollards to make it one way hence me saying it looks like a building site when they arent even building anything!

Yes but now they are not building anything on the manor or bath street they just used bollards to make it one way hence me saying it looks like a building site when they arent even building anything!

That's just nonsensical clutching at straws moose, its a work in progress building site, as other lad mentioned, New paths, New layout, need to change traffic movements, cones etc needed for that, this ain't rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Was down by tesco poleberry way today, came from johns hill into poleberry, was bedlam. Took 25mins to get from back of the mansion to the turn onto turn onto poleberry/bath street. Never seen anything like it down there. Once through the lights at the end of bunkers hill, there was hardly any traffic around.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

There seemed to be issues today at Bath Street with cars proceeding to Bunkers Hill doing so in the lane for turning right and cutting in on cars that were in the correct lane. We thought there may have been a change in lanes but there are no signs or road markings indicating that the lane use has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Mankelland

I noticed the same yesterday morning and it was causing chaos.

Passed by Bath Street today and they're digging now. Good news for those sitting their pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just came down Bunkers Hill and went out the Cork road and sure enough traffic backed up past the Tramore road split and that's at 11 am on a Thursday morning. Wait a month!

My usual Thursday update: traffic wasn't actually that bad on Bunkers Hill but traffic turning right still isn't getting enough time. There's so much traffic coming in Bath St they have to wait for the filter light to turn right off Bunkers Hill. Three cars got through and another two followed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah yes that's the other thing I should have mentioned, 15 seconds is about your lot for turning right. Anyway the whole thing is probably worth avoiding for now.

As for the reason it's happening at all. I wonder did the residents of Bath Street/Polberry make representations to the council to reduce the amount of traffic on that (rat) run? I'd not blame them if they wanted a quieter life.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Flow Motion

Remember the old idiom "If it ain't broke then don't fix it". Let's be honest Waterford is a small city and in recent years the WCCC have turned most of the city centre into a maze with associated traffic jams with the plethora of changes with regards to the road network. The layout of the city centre does not sit well with the WCCC's grandiose ideas. You would really have to wonder how such plans and changes were approved? They may look good on paper but in reality the majority of what has been implemented to date has proved to be impractical from the actual road user's perspective.
    Re. Bath St/Bunkers Hill:
    Hitherto never known as a tailback/traffic blackspot has suddenly become one. Never mind the right hand turn out the Cork Rd the left hand turn in the Manor is equally problematic. Last Friday night I was stuck in traffic for about 15mins attempting to turn left. Only 2/3 cars were getting through on each light change. Reason? As you cannot enter Bath St anymore all traffic is forced left or right. The traffic that was turning left in the Manor was backed up because traffic then attempting to go via Railway Sq @ Madigans pub couldnt cross the road because of the traffic coming out from town. Thereby causing a back up behind it.
    I really do not see the reasoning behind the Bath St closure. Surely the goal of good traffic management and planning is to ensure the smooth flow of traffic?
    Re. The Quay:
    From the Bridge Hotel to the Tower Hotel there are 5 sets of traffic lights and two roundabouts. All hemmed into a distance of about 1 mile. Then there is the regular parade of people coming across the road using the central division as pedestrian crossing thereby slowing down traffic as cars leave them pass over. Add in cars backing out from parking spaces. And cars/trucks blocking the flow of traffic on both roundabouts. Oh and did I mention those 5 sets of traffic lights! The WCCC should have taken a leaf from their European counterparts and either use pelican crossings at appropriate intervals or a build a couple of pedestrian underpasses/subway underneath the Quay. Then again that would have been the intelligent option. And finally let's not forget those underused cycle paths. On occasion I cycle but I'd be the first to admit these are scarcely used. But I suppose all these changes have allowed for the smooth flow of traffic down our glorious Quays!!! Not! Usually you can find yourself in a traffic jam at the most random of times (cf. most of the day and on every day) especially from the Tower junction to just after the Bus Station lights whereupon it suddenly disperses and flow into TWO LANES and in BOTH directions.
    Re. Patrick St/Stephen St/Alexander St/Lady Lane/Arundel Sq.
    Again a textbook illustration of what happens when you try to do too much too soon altogether in too small a space. The ancient core of the city centre wasn't conceived by the Viking and Normans with much thought of cutting edge street design, furniture or indeed cars! But much like the Bath St situation I don't ever recall many problems traffic wise over the years other than maybe Lady Lane. First they stopped cars turning right down Francis Place (Friary) towards the Quay. Then they closed Lady Lane. Changed the direction of flow on Alexander St and made Patrick St and Stephen St one way. YET traffic is still allowed drive both ways on Mayors Walk considering the constant bottleneck on the Barrack St side!

And don't even get me started on trying to access the town from the Ferrybank side!

Re. The Quay: From the Bridge Hotel to the Tower Hotel there are 5 sets of traffic lights and two roundabouts. All hemmed into a distance of about 1 mile. Then there is the regular parade of people coming across the road using the central division as pedestrian crossing thereby slowing down traffic as cars leave them pass over. Add in cars backing out from parking spaces. And cars/trucks blocking the flow of traffic on both roundabouts. Oh and did I mention those 5 sets of traffic lights! The WCCC should have taken a leaf from their European counterparts and either use pelican crossings at appropriate intervals or a build a couple of pedestrian underpasses/subway underneath the Quay. Then again that would have been the intelligent option. And finally let's not forget those underused cycle paths. On occasion I cycle but I'd be the first to admit these are scarcely used. But I suppose all these changes have allowed for the smooth flow of traffic down our glorious Quays!!! Not! Usually you can find yourself in a traffic jam at the most random of times (cf. most of the day and on every day) especially from the Tower junction to just after the Bus Station lights whereupon it suddenly disperses and flow into TWO LANES and in BOTH directions.

I've noticed a lot on The Quay that people don't realise the bus lanes are only in operation between 07:00 and 19:00 Monday to Saturday.
    The Quay was completely backed up between Shaws and the bus station one Sunday cos no one was using the bus lane. I know usually there's a lot of cars parked outside Centra, etc but on this day, I got from Shaws to the turn for Thomas Street in the bus lane without any difficulties.
    Speaking of that bus lane, I have seen buses NOT using it cos it's too tight a swing on to the end of Thomas Street (Kaiser Street? I'm not sure).

This afternoon was probably the worst traffic ive seen in Waterford,from the Quay right out to the lights at Ballybeg backed up in both directions..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

People should get onto their local councillor and the traffic section in the council. Have had dealings with both in relation to traffic issues before and have found them helpful and responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

smaoifs wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot on The Quay that people don't realise the bus lanes are only in operation between 07:00 and 19:00 Monday to Saturday.
    The Quay was completely backed up between Shaws and the bus station one Sunday cos no one was using the bus lane. I know usually there's a lot of cars parked outside Centra, etc but on this day, I got from Shaws to the turn for Thomas Street in the bus lane without any difficulties.
    Speaking of that bus lane, I have seen buses NOT using it cos it's too tight a swing on to the end of Thomas Street (Kaiser Street? I'm not sure).

For the frequency of our buses, there's no need for a bus lane in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Boooourns

This afternoon was probably the worst traffic ive seen in Waterford,from the Quay right out to the lights at Ballybeg backed up in both directions..

The route from town out towards Ballybeg is the worst i've ever seen it recently, this looks like a monumental cock-up.

Boooourns wrote: »
    The route from town out towards Ballybeg is the worst i've ever seen it recently, this looks like a monumental cock-up.

You have hit the nail on the head there my friend. What type of organisation decides to implement such radical changes approaching the busiest time of year?
    Then again knowing the WCCC the now defunct/closed lane down Bath Street will probably be turned into a cycle lane!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

You have hit the nail on the head there my friend. What type of organisation decides to implement such radical changes approaching the busiest time of year?
    Then again knowing the WCCC the now defunct/closed lane down Bath Street will probably be turned into a cycle lane!:rolleyes:

:D Im pretty sure one of the main reasons is to facilitate cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Alpha Centauri

Bath_Street.png

Making some balls of the area, timing is very bad. Railway square/linkroad/poleberry should've been finished before bath street was closed off.

Cars coming over the link road cant turn left to go out poleberry because its down to one lane there so traffic coming from ballytruckle have it blocked.

Full urban renewal plan here

Bath_Street.png

Making some balls of the area, timing is very bad. Railway square/linkroad/poleberry should've been finished before bath street was closed off.

Cars coming over the link road cant turn left to go out poleberry because its down to one lane there so traffic coming from ballytruckle have it blocked.

Full urban renewal plan here

A right balls of the area is an understatement,just had a look at the plans and some streets you would say yeah one way will make it better but then you look at bath street and bunkers hill and say what are they thinking.

A right balls of the area is an understatement,just had a look at the plans and some streets you would say yeah one way will make it better but then you look at bath street and bunkers hill and say what are they thinking.

I've had a quick look @ the plan above and I cannot believe the WCCC or an architect or a designer or a planner conceived it in the first place and then decided to proceed with it. Just concentrating on the Bath St Poleberry area its staggering the amount of changes/lanes (bus+cycle) that they are trying to incorporate into such a small area. Even when complete does it looks like a definite recipe for a disaster? I would go even further and say it has the potential to eclipse the mess on the Quay. Bus lanes on the Manor & the Link Rd which suddenly disappear and reappear and then merge into one lane! WTF? I dont see how making the Manor one way from Bunkers Hill to Railway Sq works. To be honest it looks like someone with too much time on their hands in the drawing/planning dept was given free reign to explore their deepest city planning desires. As with the Quay it will look good but be totally impractical for the road users needs. Indeed added to the Quay it will only further extend the gridlock from the Bridge out onto the Cork Rd. Maybe the owners of the 2nd Bridge & the WCCC decided that the mess on the Quay did not suffice and they were not seeing the anticipated increase in traffic on the new Bridge. Maybe this will have the desired effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

I've had a quick look @ the plan above and I cannot believe the WCCC or an architect or a designer or a planner conceived it in the first place and then decided to proceed with it. Just concentrating on the Bath St Poleberry area its staggering the amount of changes/lanes (bus+cycle) that they are trying to incorporate into such a small area. Even when complete does it looks like a definite recipe for a disaster? I would go even further and say it has the potential to eclipse the mess on the Quay. Bus lanes on the Manor & the Link Rd which suddenly disappear and reappear and then merge into one lane! WTF? I dont see how making the Manor one way from Bunkers Hill to Railway Sq works. To be honest it looks like someone with too much time on their hands in the drawing/planning dept was given free reign to explore their deepest city planning desires. As with the Quay it will look good but be totally impractical for the road users needs. Indeed added to the Quay it will only further extend the gridlock from the Bridge out onto the Cork Rd. Maybe the owners of the 2nd Bridge & the WCCC decided that the mess on the Quay did not suffice and they were not seeing the anticipated increase in traffic on the new Bridge. Maybe this will have the desired effect?

https://m.popkey.co/6f0e1b/bpQ4K.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

One more reason to avoid the centre of town .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

All none big conspiracy alright....😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

One more reason to avoid the centre of town .

But thousands refuse to avoid the city centre. Have you tried to get parking during the day anywhere on the quay, Bolton st new gasworks car park or others.......evidence suggests people are doing anything but avoiding the placw

Advertisement