Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

10 km of a tail back going into Mallow yesterday evening all because of tree cutting near the Wild Goose turn off and a Stop/Go system in place. Absolutely ridiculous time of the day for it to be happening. 2 hours to get from Mahon to outside Mallow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

marno21 wrote: »
    They are asking where people are coming from and going to, to see what the predominant traffic flows are, and to see if the traffic would use an alternative route if available

Could they not use ANPR cameras for that? No disruption, and traffic flows normally - plus they could check for Ins NCT and Tax while they are at it. [Might even fund the motorway from all the fines! :) ]

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Could they not use ANPR cameras for that? No disruption, and traffic flows normally - plus they could check for Ins NCT and Tax while they are at it. [Might even fund the motorway from all the fines! :) ]
    I would like to see some form of ANPR introduced on the M20 when built as part of a more widespread national ITS.

The census in question asks people where they are going (specifically), if they make the journey often, do they take alternative routes at different times etc. ANPR wouldn't be able for this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would like to see some form of ANPR introduced on the M20 when built as part of a more widespread national ITS.

The census in question asks people where they are going (specifically), if they make the journey often, do they take alternative routes at different times etc. ANPR wouldn't be able for this.

Well, yes, but they could call say 10% of vehicle aside to question and so not disrupt the traffic, while relying on the ANPR to fill in the blanks - or extend the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i remember a census on a river crossing in my home town causing chaos and most drivers simply refused to open their windows and answer questions. Total disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

They are asking where people are coming from and going to, to see what the predominant traffic flows are, and to see if the traffic would use an alternative route if available

I was pulled over to do it this morning and they didn't ask me if I would use an alternative route. Just asked where I was coming from, where I was going, did I use the tunnel and how many times did I make the journey.

Took forever! Felt like grabbing the tablet and typing in the answers myself :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I note that the existing journey time by rail between Limerick and Cork currently varies between 90 minutes and 2 hours, the variance is mostly due to layover time in Limerick Junction.

As an interim measure the government could order Irish Rail to review it's time table and stop over times and consider adding a few direct Cork-Limerick journeys per day, there's plenty of capacity for it and it'd take the heat of the N20, if an 80 minute journey and reasonable frequency was in place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

cgcsb wrote: »
    I note that the existing journey time by rail between Limerick and Cork currently varies between 90 minutes and 2 hours, the variance is mostly due to layover time in Limerick Junction.

As an interim measure the government could order Irish Rail to review it's time table and stop over times and consider adding a few direct Cork-Limerick journeys per day, there's plenty of capacity for it and it'd take the heat of the N20, if an 80 minute journey and reasonable frequency was in place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a direct Limerick - Cork train is possible. The train would have to head towards Dublin at Limerick Junction and then reverse towards Cork.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a direct Limerick - Cork train is possible. The train would have to head towards Dublin at Limerick Junction and then reverse towards Cork.

that's what he means, wouldn't have to reverse directions though I think

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Well, yes, but they could call say 10% of vehicle aside to question and so not disrupt the traffic, while relying on the ANPR to fill in the blanks - or extend the results.
    They could - but given that this is a one day operation - the cost of installing ANPR for it would be excessive - the cheaper optiion is what they went with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

They could - but given that this is a one day operation - the cost of installing ANPR for it would be excessive - the cheaper optiion is what they went with.

Parking 10 cars with cameras more expensive than full day work for all of those people?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Isambard wrote: »
    that's what he means, wouldn't have to reverse directions though I think

It has to reverse for Cork as far as I know, there's a side loop to Dublin which means that direct trains to Dublin can bypass the junction.

i'n not sure but I thought as the shuttle leaves from the bay next to the main platform in the same direction as the Dublin trains that a cork to limerick train wouldn't need to reverse. As I say I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There's definitely a track in place allowing a direct service to Cork, the track coming from Limerick spurs into 3 (with the line continuing onto Waterford), 1 going to Dublin, one going to Platform 2 (where the Limerick/Waterford trains normally arrive into) and one going to Platform 1, which is on the Cork/Dublin mainline.

Whether this track is still serviceable is another question, but there is one on place allowing a direct Limerick-Cork service.

Even if you haven't been to Limerick Junction, it's very easy to see on Google maps! Remember we have online resources.

Also, note that the LJ-Waterford train has to reverse into Platform 2 at Limerick Junction, this is considered a direct service anyway.

There is a direct track as far as I know, it may need some repair but I'm sure that could be done for very little money. If people are spending 2 hours on the N20 a few slight improvements to the rail service would definitely prove attractive at least for people who's journey starts and finishes near enough the City Centres. The role out of leap cards is great for facilitation of onward connections also.

trying a through service seems a no-brainer. Extending some of the shuttles to Cork, perhaps replacing some of the Cork to Mallow locals shouldn't be impossible. Reinstating Buttevant Station and serving Charleville better might be spin off benefits.

It seems a shame to have such an under-utilized asset while people are sitting on the N20 for 2 hours or worse, having accidents. It wouldn't take much money at all to bring the service up to a competitive standard.

They have to fast track the M20 - Ikea are opening a new store in Cork.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Ikea-set-for-East-Cork-location-7670fb0a-5fb5-4a4d-923e-5f7437039ed6-ds
    “Many people travel to Dublin to shop at this landmark store so it would be a big boost to the east Cork area.

“It would be important to ensure the infrastructure is put in place to manage traffic flows in and out of any site.”

“The jobs boost to the area would also be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That's a crazy location - not even on a Motorway unless they get a road built from the M8

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mc Love wrote: »
    That's a crazy location - not even on a Motorway unless they get a road built from the M8

N25 is of motorway standard, with motorway speed limit too, to Carrigtwohill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

grogi wrote: »
    N25 is of motorway standard, with motorway speed limit too, to Carrigtwohill...

the traffic at dunkettle will feel the pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭cjpm

Does any one have an electronic copy of the complete set of EIS documents for the M20 that was submitted in 2010?

They used to be available free to download on the Cork RDO website but now only one or two individual documents are available.

PM me if you downloaded it or if you stumped up €10 for the DVD of the whole set.

Sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Another miserable Christmas for some unfortunate people.
    Luckily I decided to take the chance train to the match and stay overnight, otherwise I would be encountering this combined with the miserable weather.

Another miserable Christmas for some unfortunate people.
    Luckily I decided to take the chance train to the match and stay overnight, otherwise I would be encountering this combined with the miserable weather.

Is it fatal?

The train can be a good alternative on that existing route, the price is probably the biggest issue.

Is it fatal?

The train can be a good alternative on that existing route, the price is probably the biggest issue.
    and the lack of suitable transport in Cork and Limerick cities to get you from A-B. Horgans Quay-Parnell Street would be grand on the train. UL-UCC or similar and you are talking 3 hours end to end.

and the lack of suitable transport in Cork and Limerick cities to get you from A-B. Horgans Quay-Parnell Street would be grand on the train. UL-UCC or similar and you are talking 3 hours end to end.

Cork would probably warrant a LUAS style setup from Kent station to UCC which would combine nicely with the M20 if the funding was in place.

Would the same be favourable of Parnell street to UL though?

I think it could actually work to be honest.

3 hours without any delays, if you get stuck in road works or an R.T.C add on another hour possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Cork would probably warrant a LUAS style setup from Kent station to UCC which would combine nicely with the M20 if the funding was in place.

Would the same be favourable of Parnell street to UL though?

I think it could actually work to be honest.

3 hours without any delays, if you get stuck in road works or an R.T.C add on another hour possibly.

UL is 6k from the city so prob not a luas style, but the limerick ballybrophy line runs close by UL. its been suggested in the past that a station could be built at annacotty with shuttle bus to UL, but no serious discussions on this. separately, limerick council have provisionally set aside funding for possible BRT to UL, but no detail on where this would run from.

it would be nice to have a decent option to travel to/from cork. since the m7 express started iv found myself going to dublin/tralee/killarney a lot more just because its cheap and convenient. iv never seriously considered the bus or train to cork, so if i go i drive, which is far from convenient.

mdmix wrote: »
    UL is 6k from the city so prob not a luas style, but the limerick ballybrophy line runs close by UL. its been suggested in the past that a station could be built at annacotty with shuttle bus to UL, but no serious discussions on this. separately, limerick council have provisionally set aside funding for possible BRT to UL, but no detail on where this would run from.

it would be nice to have a decent option to travel to/from cork. since the m7 express started iv found myself going to dublin/tralee/killarney a lot more just because its cheap and convenient. iv never seriously considered the bus or train to cork, so if i go i drive, which is far from convenient.

I wouldn't be too up to date on railways except for an interest in disused lines.

Would the Patrickswell line be part of what you have mentioned?

A shuttle from Annacotty is another good alternative.

Kent station to UCC is roughly a similar distance. The numbers alone could make something similar quite viable however.

M7 express with Dublin Coach?

The motorway itself could result in higher numbers seeking to go the opposite direction for education in UCC/UL as the time would be greatly reduced.

• Advertisement

Unconfirmed reports that the collision involved a Bus and Truck.

Advertisement