Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Irish gone lazy to work?

Options
  • 04-12-2017 4:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Speaking with someone in a management role saying they can't get staff and a huge increase in foreign workers I've noticed.What ye all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

bigpink wrote: »
    Speaking with someone in a management role saying they can't staff and huge increase in foreign workers I've noticed.What ye all think?

Think???.....feck that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I've read the title five times...

...what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah and don't think we can be arsed with proper grammar in thread titles either. Maybe we should get some foreigners in to do it properly?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Speaking with someone in a management role saying they can't staff and huge increase in foreign workers I've noticed.What ye all think?

WHat cant they staff? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

jonnycivic wrote: »

The staff !! Duuuuh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Speaking with someone in a management role saying they can't get staff and a huge increase in foreign workers I've noticed.What ye all think?

Its called full employment.

We live in this constant media / social media thing of 'the country's going to the dogs'.

Always looking for the negative slant on things.

Full employment is a great thing while it lasts. Local staff are hard to get here. Its the same in London, New York, Munich, Stockholm, San Francisco.

Its quite different in Athens, Naples, Marseille, Madrid. Employers there have no problem finding local staff at cheap rates.

Which group do you want to be in?

If you are happy to be in the first group then stop whingeing about being in the first group.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No, but gone too lazy to use proper grammer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think that the best person for the job should be the one to get the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that the best person for the job should be the one to get the job.

Ssssh, don't be saying things like that!!!!!

Walls have ears.....

:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

they can't 'staff' because an Irish person can qualify for the dole (if they have been paying their prsi), they will get paid slightly more in the 9 - 5 job, but may not qualify for other benefits such as rent allowance. There is more of a chance that a foreign person will fill the position, as they may be new to the country and wont have been paying prsi. so wont qualify for the dole.

As the old saying goes, there is no money in working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

they can't 'staff' because an Irish person can qualify for the dole (if they have been paying their prsi), they will get paid slightly more in the 9 - 5 job, but may not qualify for other benefits such as rent allowance. There is more of a chance that a foreign person will fill the position, as they may be new to the country and wont have been paying prsi. so wont qualify for the dole.

As the old saying goes, there is no money in working.

Hence why we have over 2 million people in employment and an unemployment rate of 6% at the moment?

Hence why we have over 2 million people in employment and an unemployment rate of 6% at the moment?

We have a work ethic.

We have a work ethic.

Of course we do. That's why the OP is nonsense.

Of course we do. That's why the OP is nonsense.

Indeed! It even gets me annoyed when you watch a TV show or advert and you their alarm going off at 7.30am.

Like yeah try being a commuter!!!! That's a lie in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We have a work ethic.

It depends on what the work involves...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Indeed! It even gets me annoyed when you watch a TV show or advert and you their alarm going off at 7.30am.

Like yeah try being a commuter!!!! That's a lie in that!

Are ya mad Ted, that was nearly my days work done when I was commuting :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

We had this during the Celtic Tiger too: "Jobs that are now beneath the Irish". Are Irish people expected to turn their noses up at highly paid IT or financial services job because someone has an expectation of being served by a red-head with a knowledge of Hurling? There are a lot of possible descriptions for that but I will just stick with bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I'd be more interested to see how long before this thread would get shut down if any other nationality was substituted for 'Irish'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It's true, we're gone back to where we were 10 years ago. Working in the likes of Mcdonalds is now beneath a lot of young Irish people.

• Advertisement

It's true, we're gone back to where we were 10 years ago. Working in the likes of Mcdonalds is now beneath a lot of young Irish people.

Does 'beneath' mean they can get a better job elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Better social welfare provision after a few years work for Irish residents. Better education in English language and local customs means that Irish residents and immigrants with a few years experience of living here move up the jobs ladder to better paying positions. The cost of rentals and living are now so high in Dublin that many people cannot afford to take up a low paying job in Dublin unless they share housing at a high rate of occupancy, not suitable for married couples and people with children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Sorry, cant reply to the thread today. I'm feeling abit ill. Will be back tomorrow and will reply then!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jonnycivic wrote: »

The staff room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Time to bump up the advertised salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think you went into a coma in, I'll guess, 1995?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Its the dodgy pyramid building up again.

Irish people will be criticised for being lazy (despite the massive complexities behind it), while cheap labour is imported by the boat load to fill jobs that irish people "don't want".

And then the pyramid topples or bubble bursts, back to the beginning again. Ingenious way of running a stable country!

How about building a stable economy that is built on its own resources and people steadily, and therefore with much greater stability? Nah, that would be madness.

The booms are boomier, the busts are bustier (oo er missus!), and the same tripe will be regurgitated time and time again. Memories of goldfish in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

For gods sake grammar Nazis give it up! You obviously all understood the question so there's no need for the continual smart remarks.

In answer to the OP, yes I think Irish people are lazy when it comes to working for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Are foreign workers not staff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

pilly wrote: »
    For gods sake grammar Nazis give it up!

But day were all so clever.

Advertisement