Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Irish gone lazy to work?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

*rolls eyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The company I work for are struggling to find qualified and experienced people, I know a guy who works for an executive recruiting agency and they say it’s becoming common now and good people are hard to come by in certain industries. The economy is close to full employment. I’ve had to work the odd Saturday over the last month or two because the number of contracts were taking on had increased but we can’t find new staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

pilly wrote: »
    For gods sake grammar Nazis give it up! You obviously all understood the question so there's no need for the continual smart remarks.

In answer to the OP, yes I think Irish people are lazy when it comes to working for a living.

I personally think these generalised statements about the Irish (evidence free as they are) should be moderated as hard as other racist statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

You spoke to one manager who can't get staff so yes it must be true country wide.

It's probably either a crap place to work, or paying less than a living wage, or both. And it's probably in a city.

Where I live we are still in recession mode - apply for a job and you are lucky to get a response at all, even for jobs you are overqualified for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I work for a semi state. Our cleaning staff, all Irish, who earn 850 a week (I assure you they do, i have seen the payslips) will not pick up cardboard from outside the front door.

Occasionally we need to use contract cleaners. They are usually foreign and earn about €10 an hour. They embarrass our own cleaners with their standard of work.

Make of that what you will.

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    I work for a semi state. Our cleaning staff, all Irish, who earn 850 a week (I assure you they do, i have seen the payslips) will not pick up cardboard from outside the front door.

Occasionally we need to use contract cleaners. They are usually foreign and earn about €10 an hour. They embarrass our own cleaners with their standard of work.

k

What i make of it is a race to the bottom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I personally think these generalised statements about the Irish (evidence free as they are) should be moderated as hard as other racist statements.

I didn't make a statement, I expressed an opinion hence the use of the word "think". Are we not allowed thoughts now?

I didn't make a statement, I expressed an opinion hence the use of the word "think". Are we not allowed thoughts now?

You can state your opinion. I also said “I think” by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

In answer to the OP, yes I think Irish people are lazy when it comes to working for a living.

That's absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Gone lazy to work?

what dies that mean OP?

A growing economy will always want more workers, it doesn't care where they come from, if they don't ask questions or look for more pay then that is is something that the 'economy' likes to hear.

legal/illegal it doesn't care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I plan to ride my boss up the hole during the good times knowing full well that I am going to get booted up the hole and put on to the dole when the economy gets wrecked again. Might as well squeeze as much out of it as I can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

That's absolute nonsense.

In your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

In your opinion.

No. It's not just my opinion. We're at 6% unemployment. We work when we have the opportunity to do it and if we don't, we emigrate to find work else where. There's a tiny minority that ride the system and will never do a tap but the vast majority of us work hard to provide a living for ourselves and our families.

It's baffling that you would write us off as being feckless as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

How dare you? I ALWAYS go lazy to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

What I make of that is sign me the fcUk up. That's a very good wage for a relatively unskilled job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Good staff are hard to find... yes. Click watching, lead swinging, self entitled staff are easy to find. Unfortunately Ireland is not a paid for performance economy even if you lose your job for being useless at it you'll get money from social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

bigpink wrote: »
    Speaking with someone in a management role saying they can't get staff and a huge increase in foreign workers I've noticed.What ye all think?

Sounds similar to a press release from IBEC we get from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Although the UNR has fallen to 6%, note that the employment rate here is below the top rates across the EU.

We have by far the highest rate of VLWI.

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/one-fifth-of-households-have-little-work/

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.ie/2013/10/arop-and-vlwi.html

The indicator persons living in households with very low work intensity is defined as the number of persons living in a household where the members of working age worked less than 20 % of their total potential during the previous 12 months.

The work intensity of a household is the ratio of the total number of months that all working-age household members have worked during the income reference year and the total number of months the same household members theoretically could have worked in the same period.

A working-age person is a person aged 18-59 years, with the exclusion of students in the age group between 18 and 24 years.

Households composed only of children, of students aged less then 25 and/or people aged 60 or more are completely excluded from the indicator calculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

People aged less than 60 living in households with very low work intensity, 2014–15 (%)

People_aged_less_than_60_living_in_households_with_very_low_work_intensity%2C_2014%E2%80%9315_%28%25%29.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭thedeere

Working is for fools, rock and roll and cash on the side is where it’s at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

k

What i make of it is a race to the bottom.

Its not a race to the bottom to take a bit of pride in your work without having to be compensated for every extra minute should they choose to do so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

850 a week??WTF

Geuze wrote: »
    People aged less than 60 living in households with very low work intensity, 2014–15 (%)

People_aged_less_than_60_living_in_households_with_very_low_work_intensity%2C_2014%E2%80%9315_%28%25%29.png

You’re going to need newer figures since it’s 2017.

368100 wrote: »
    Its not a race to the bottom to take a bit of pride in your work without having to be compensated for every extra minute should they choose to do so

It’s eulogisung the 10€ a month that’s the race to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Smarty-pants recruitment policies are coming home to roost. I was chatting with a friend who works in recruitment who agreed. A 12 mth contract (with little or no expectation of renewal) on a solid wage vs ANYTHING permanent is kind of a no brainer. I had an uncle who got a job as a temp operator in pharma and was on €23/hr with all the allowances applied and he thought it was just a tease because he knew he'd never be kept on.

The Irish aren't lazy - if you look at the Irish abroad, they are doing lots of the work the locals won't but when you're in your home country and your'e trying to build a life and thinking about your future, of course you look at the world differently and will be prepared to do things differently. There are lots of industries full of expats trying to better themselves but that doesn't mean they will stay in poor jobs for good. They will go home (so the less prestigious work is acceptable) or try and get on in their chosen new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the only thing worse than going to work in the morning is not going to work in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

the only thing worse than going to work in the morning is not going to work in the morning

I dunno, I think leprosy is probably worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I dunno, I think leprosy is probably worse.

The only thing worse than leprosy is leprosy on the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Speaking with someone in a management role saying they can't get staff and a huge increase in foreign workers I've noticed.What ye all think?

I think you've answered your own question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

850 a week??WTF

That's more than I get!!

F**ks sake!

Advertisement