Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI staff recruitment 2017

• 01-12-2017 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭

For those thinking of applying the PSNI staff roles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

I seen in the job description that there will be a test and an interview, does anyone know what the test is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Interview will be competency based as with all civil service.

Test is likely to be a herd thinner. Basic online aptitude test

A bit like the recent ist I presume?

A bit like the recent ist I presume?

Could be just have to find out

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ron_Mon

Just wondering what you're thoughts are on applying for both Dispatcher and Call handler.
    Ideally I'd like the former, but just in case I might apply for both.  Do you think this would negatively effect my chances if they see an application for both?

• Advertisement

No but the dispatcher is the higher grade. As it's more responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ron_Mon

No but the dispatcher is the higher grade. As it's more responsibility
    Yeah, and to me it sounds more interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

I quite like the sound of the cdo. Always good to try and have a backup option.

CDO will be cleaning up after a detainee poos on the floor though

Ron_Mon wrote: »
    Just wondering what you're thoughts are on applying for both Dispatcher and Call handler.
    Ideally I'd like the former, but just in case I might apply for both.  Do you think this would negatively effect my chances if they see an application for both?

Imo I dont think it would affect your chances of getting ether. I myself would not apply for ether if those jobs they just wouldn't suit me, I think I will apply for the CDO position although banterbus comment is not encouraging haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FinalTry32

Id encourage anyone to go for the police staff options , It wont make a difference to your actual police application or even applying for all 3 wont make a difference to the process , pay is pretty decent, some great benefits and I know people who work in all 3 jobs and even at the lowest paid its still a good whack every month with the weekend rates and O/T rates , shift patterns do vary tho across the board.

FinalTry32 wrote: »
    Id encourage anyone to go for the police staff options , It wont make a difference to your actual police application or even applying for all 3 wont make a difference to the process , pay is pretty decent, some great benefits and I know people who work in all 3 jobs and even at the lowest paid its still a good whack every month with the weekend rates and O/T rates , shift patterns do vary tho across the board.

Is the shifts not just a simple 4 on 4 off? or is there more to it than that?

Most are four on , four off but some of the call handler roles/dispatch roles are on a different shift pattern.

Iv done some digging to find out info ref all the jobs.

PUBLIC SECTOR PENSION!

LOL

You pay in 5.45% employer contribution is 20.9%...

My mate who is going to apply can't seem to find what you are meant to do with the completed application form and I can't either, anybody know?

Also as the Dispatcher role is at an equivalent grade to me; the basic take home pay after all deductions including pension, if you are on an 1150L tax code, will be £1542 without student loan and £1496 with student loan

Also as the Dispatcher role is at an equivalent grade to me; the basic take home pay after all deductions including pension, if you are on an 1150L tax code, will be £1542 without student loan and £1496 with student loan

Iv sent you a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

My mate who is going to apply can't seem to find what you are meant to do with the completed application form and I can't either, anybody know?

“All Completed Application forms should be returned to Equality@psni.pnn.police.uk.”

https://www.psni.police.uk/inside-psni/careers-in-the-psni/police-staff-recruitment/current-police-staff-vacancies/

The pay is a little more than what banterbus28 has said too .. You get a 20% shift allowance for working unsociable hours :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 gawa84

Don't mind me asking but where did you get those figures from? If they are accurate that's a much better rate than that of a PC, being 12.44% paid in and 25.1% employer contribution.

Civil service pensions scheme alpha

Goonerdee wrote: »

“All Completed Application forms should be returned to Equality@psni.pnn.police.uk.”

https://www.psni.police.uk/inside-psni/careers-in-the-psni/police-staff-recruitment/current-police-staff-vacancies/

Cheers my phone wasn't showing it.

gawa84 wrote: »

Don't mind me asking but where did you get those figures from? If they are accurate that's a much better rate than that of a PC, being 12.44% paid in and 25.1% employer contribution.

http://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/members/contribution-rates/

http://www.civilservicepensionscheme.org.uk/employers/employer-contribution-rates/

I rang recruitment and asked if police staff are deemed civil service and if civil service pensions scheme alpha applies and they confirmed.

I would love to apply for all three roles but I dont have A-levels, but I think I’ll stick my name in the hat for call handler and cdo. I know I’d said I’d never leave my job for anything but the police, but as someone else said, keep as many doors open as you can. Life can change in an instant.

Goonerdee wrote: »

I would love to apply for all three roles but I dont have A-levels, but I think I’ll stick my name in the hat for call handler and cdo. I know I’d said I’d never leave my job for anything but the police, but as someone else said, keep as many doors open as you can. Life can change in an instant.

Do you have equivalents? BTEC level 3?

No BTECs, only have qualifications in part time courses, but one is a level 5.

They may accept that as it is higher than A levels which are level 3... Don't ask don't get

They may accept that as it is higher than A levels which are level 3... Don't ask don't get

I might just go for it, all they can say is no.

• Advertisement

In the application form they give you space to put down an explanation... Go for it

Advertisement