Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Destiny 2 will be offline on Thursday for 6 hours from 5pm to 11pm for server maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Don't think anybody minds the weekly/bi-weekly "server maintenance" any more.
    I logged in last night for a few hours and got pretty much all the milestones done on both characters, just need to do the call to arms one and I'm done for the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be very interesting to see what Bungie say today.

Personally I don't see how they can win back a large portion of the people who have gone against them.

For a lot of people the incentive game isn't actually the problem imo, at least not in terms of loot. Sure people were hoping for a god roll eyasluna in Destiny 1, but i don't think it was the driving force behind the PVP community that kept Destiny going through much of Year 2 and Year 3. People played PvP because, for the most part, it was fun.

In order to get back to Destiny 1 'fun' can they do so without changing the weapon economy? Without moving Snipers, Fusions, shotguns to secondary again - people still won't have their one shot capability at all times in a match, and that is what has brought the team shotting meta we have now. Personally I like the weapon meta we have now, and I don't want to see them change it to the D1 loadout - i'm glad we don't have people shotgunning or sniping 100% of the match. I don't see how they could change the loadout given the game was built around this loadout.

Bringing 6vs6 back won't change things too much, imo. It will mean we can have more people and more 'bants' in the fireteam, but would we not just end up with 6 people team shotting instead for 4?

I think speeding up the Super/Grenade recharge would make a fairly big difference (If they did this I would probably tone down Pulse grenades a bit). Maybe bump damage from weapons a bit as well, so that TTK speeds up a bit, and speed up recovery - which would mean if you get the jump on a 1vs2 or position yourself well enough you can do more when outnumbered.

Two big changes for PVP i think would make a big difference and they need to bring in ASAP are Ranked and Private matches.

Ranked is a no brainer. Its already there in the background cause of Skill Based Match Making - just bring it to the frontend and give players a number to chase. An emblem for each major rank. Two easy changes and would absolutely increase people's grind in PvP.

Private matches are used by a small percentage - but the Comp scene (Farcog etc) need them, the 'sweats' teams need them - without Private matches there is no comp scene. If you bring them in you will see more comps, you will see more people competing in them on Twitch (creating some hype) and practising for them. It would increase the popularity of Destiny 2 from a spectator perspective. If they added the ability to change attributes of the match via a more customs environment it could also act as an unofficial test chamber for Destiny 2 changes - if they see a huge spike in popularity of a particular rule set they could use that as a discussion point internally.

In terms of incentive loot game, there is so much they could do. We have 8 different types of handcannons, for example - lean into that for end game activities. Why don't we have both kinetic and energy variants of the Raid weapons for example - give us more weapons. They need to make more unique armor - why are there so many reskins of the same armor set, already, in D2? They need to make the armor more visually distinct and they also need to make intrinsic perks on them that give us a reason to grind for them. The mod economy is also so very basic - to the point I don't understand it. Its such a good idea, and executed so badly. We should have mods that change weapons by more than just an increase in power. We should have mods that provide perk sets to the armor. we should have exotic mods to grind for that do special things. I think there is so much they can do but unless they were working on these things since at least D2 launched (and they should have been cause they ARE F**KING OBVIOUS things that should have been in the base game to begin with) I don't see us getting them in the proper short term.

Some things like being able to buy specific things off vendors, especially from the timed event vendors feels like an easy thing they could, and likely are (given their previous comments on Iron Banner changes) giving us - but I don't think that is one of the bigger problems/solutions to the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Couldnt care less about the pvp, its poor at best and so many far superior games do pvp better.
    PVE on the other hand is excellent in D2 and on PC atleast its what the majority of players are interested in , the problem is content, or more so the system in place to gain loot.
    Any looter game needs loot and a hell of a lot of it with a solid progression system in place for players to keep logging in.
    This is the fundamental problem with D2.
    Unless bungie face up to that fact and address their system no amount of DLC will bring the players back.

Sadly D2 looks to be going down a similar road the division went, great world but no real system in place for progression therefore no endgame to speak of.

Make no mistake this stream is cancelled because the whole event was scripted to a tee and now they were caught by the bollox cheating their very own fans they havent got the balls or a scripted event to face the public live.

As Jim Sterling says "Activision Blizzard is a manipulative snakepit of a company" stunts like this make it hard to disagree with him.
    Ofcourse they are not the only ones there are many more you could feel the same about.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I was reading online that the stream is cancelled and maintenance is due to Bright Engrams.

I believe some countries around the world classify random loot boxes from real world money as gambling. And as minors have access to them, Bungie could be slapped with promoting underage gambling.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all their silence and server maintenance is about.

I was reading online that the stream is cancelled and maintenance is due to Bright Engrams.

I believe some countries around the world classify random loot boxes from real world money as gambling. And as minors have access to them, Bungie could be slapped with promoting underage gambling.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was all their silence and server maintenance is about.
    Bright engrams is pure speculation. As of right now they are not gambling as far as I know, but a lot of regulatory bodies are taking a real look at it now.

What bungie are doing right now is legal and if there was change in the law they would be given time to make the necessary changes before anyone would come after them legally.

Curse of Osiris is out next week, along with season 2 changes - would be perfectly in keeping with past actions that bungie is doing extensive server/game prep for that.

Bright engrams is pure speculation. As of right now they are not gambling as far as I know, but a lot of regulatory bodies are taking a real look at it now.

What bungie are doing right now is legal and if there was change in the law they would be given time to make the necessary changes before anyone would come after them legally.

Curse of Osiris is out next week, along with season 2 changes - would be perfectly in keeping with past actions that bungie is doing extensive server/game prep for that.

They are considered gambling in China, but can be circumvented by having them be purc6by a premium currency as opposed to directly with real money as Destiny 2 does with silver.

Dcully wrote: »
    As Jim Sterling says "Activision Blizzard is a manipulative snakepit of a company" stunts like this make it hard to disagree with him.
    Ofcourse they are not the only ones there are many more you could feel the same about.

What are their actions that people have a real problem with in World of Warcraft or Overwatch? Or hero's of the storm?

I feel destiny is the only one getting a backlash and that's mainly cause people are vocally disappointed with the game rather than loot boxes.

Isn't overwatch loot boxes considered a fine implementation?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What are their actions that people have a real problem with in World of Warcraft or Overwatch? Or hero's of the storm?

I feel destiny is the only one getting a backlash and that's mainly cause people are vocally disappointed with the game rather than loot boxes.

Isn't overwatch loot boxes considered a fine implementation?

Destiny doesn't follow the Overwatch model though as they have paid DLC on top of the loot boxes.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Destiny doesn't follow the Overwatch model though as they have paid DLC on top of the loot boxes.

Not relevant. The comment was about Activision Blizzard as a company - apart from destiny issues (which are mostly gameplay) what's the horrible things Activision Blizzard have done to get this rep?

People love and rave about overwatch and WoW

Your missing the point, its the deceiving and lies, the manipulating of the system by fixing xp and actively nerfing xp designed to encourage people to buy engrams which are loot boxes effectively.
    How can you defend that?

They have some neck bringing out DLC so soon after game release too.

I do agree however its a tad unfair to see Blizzard tarnished where it is bungie effectively doing this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

if it's not relevant then why ask the question?Maybe I got my wires crossed in what you meant there, I don't listen to Jim Sterling so don't know what the snakepit comment refers to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Your missing the point, its the deceiving and lies, the manipulating of the system by fixing xp and actively nerfing xp designed to encourage people to buy engrams which are loot boxes effectively.
    How can you defend that?

They have some neck bringing out DLC so soon after game release too.

I do agree however its a tad unfair to see Blizzard tarnished where it is bungie effectively doing this.

I don't understand how you can criticise bungie for bringing out DLC with a fair amount of content so soon, then in the next sentence defend blizzard, whose most popular game you have to pay just for the privilidge of playing AND has paid expansions. I don't have an issue with sub based games, I just can't see how paid DLC is worse.

There's plenty to criticise bungie for, but that looks like double standards to me.

DLC so soon after release is a piss take, the game is out 6 weeks or so on PC.
    It could easily have shipped with this content but no they put it in DLC.

If your referring to WOW expansions ? lol they are years apart from eachother.

That content coming in the Destiny DLC was already there before the game released, dont be fooled into thinking otherwise.
    I have a far bigger issue with their recent antics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That content coming in the Destiny DLC was already there before the game released, dont be fooled into thinking otherwise.
    I have a far bigger issue with their recent antics.

It'll be out slightly more than 3 months on Console when the DLC drops. Destiny had a similar model where DLC was dropped every few months.

Just because this is new to the PC does not mean it's new to the franchise.

• Advertisement

It's out almost 3 months on console though, you have to take that into account as well. I'm sure they could have put more into the launch game, I just don't get why it's such an issue for you when you go on to express sympathy for blizzard.

Their expansions are years apart, but there's also a subscription. I don't understand why you can be fine with a company doing that, yet have a problem with another company putting out content for effectively the cost of a month or two of playing a subscription based game. It's just different ways of doing the exact same thing.

I'm not fooled at all, I'm just a bit baffled by the double standard.

At the end of the day game developers are going to want to make money, and as long as I think I'm getting enough value for that money, I'm happy enough to pay it. I do think the xp thing was bull**** though.

Its been out 3 months on console, Destiny 1 had dlc drop at the same time. The content, while probably in a playable state, was not complete when Destiny 2 launched on consoles and as such is dlc content.

Where did i say it was a new franchise?

3 months is nothing in game development, do you really think what your getting in this DLC was created since the game was released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

the more I read this thread the more depressed by the fact I bought the deluxe version which came with the season pass :rolleyes:

Where did i say it was a new franchise?

3 months is nothing in game development, do you really think what your getting in this DLC was created since the game was released?

Of course it wasn't, doesn't mean the content was ready for release with the rest of the game either.

A lot of polish can be added to a game in 3 months, look at Mass Effect Andromeda. That game would have been much better received if given another 3 months development.

• Advertisement

It's out almost 3 months on console though, you have to take that into account as well. I'm sure they could have put more into the launch game, I just don't get why it's such an issue for you when you go on to express sympathy for blizzard.

Their expansions are years apart, but there's also a subscription. I don't understand why you can be fine with a company doing that, yet have a problem with another company putting out content for effectively the cost of a month or two of playing a subscription based game. It's just different ways of doing the exact same thing.

I'm not fooled at all, I'm just a bit baffled by the double standard.

At the end of the day game developers are going to want to make money, and as long as I think I'm getting enough value for that money, I'm happy enough to pay it. I do think the xp thing was bull**** though.

You cannot compare destiny to WOW, you just cant.
    Or its expansions for that matter, wow expansions literally last years [thats why they are years apart], have practically infinite amount of content.
    Its why pretty much every MMO that tried to knock wow off its throne has failed.
    Have you played wow by the way? Just wondering because if you did you would see where im coming from.

I dont these days but have done on and off since its release 14 or so years ago.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    if it's not relevant then why ask the question?Maybe I got my wires crossed in what you meant there, I don't listen to Jim Sterling so don't know what the snakepit comment refers to.

What destiny does specifically isn't relevant to a reputation that Activision and Blizzard, apparently, have for being manipulative snakes - unless that rep is based mainly on the last two months of destiny.

You cannot compare destiny to WOW, you just cant.
    Or its expansions for that matter, wow expansions literally last years [thats why they are years apart], have practically infinite amount of content.
    Its why pretty much every MMO that tried to knock wow off its throne has failed.
    Have you played wow by the way? Just wondering because if you did you would see where im coming from.

I dont these days but have done on and off since its release 14 or so years ago.

No, you can't compare the games but you can compare the payment models they use. One uses a subscription model, the other uses frequent DLC. I'm not comparing WoW expansions to destiny DLC, I'm comparing paid DLC to subscription fees, because as far as I can see they're effectively the same thing.

I've played a bit of WoW, never got massively into it to be fair but I played FFXIV for years and as far as I understand it, that follows a very similar structure to WoW.

Confession: bright engrams don't bother me at all.

I get them fairly regularly and I generally don't care about what is in them, or what tess is selling. I've 2k bright dust to spend on her wares and I generally dont bother buying anything.

The only issue I have with the xp capping is that it was not communicated (and that is s***house behavior)

Agreed engrams mean nothing similar to skins and sprays in overwatch.
    Its the ****ty practice thats the real issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The issue is that there is very little to do in the game and the loot isn't fun. The loot issue isn't an easy fix IMO, people have been playing destiny so long that they instantly know what's good and what to shard, so there's no trying out the loot phase like there was in D1, this makes it boring because you never feel the need to test your weapons out. I don't think removing fixed perks will help that either.

Nothing to do can be solved. Why there aren't strikes with modifiers, daily missions, weekly heroic missions, daily crucible modes, weekly bounties etc. is beyond me. You can't even load up say the tank mission for the craic? Bizarre.

AdamD wrote: »
    Nothing to do can be solved. Why there aren't strikes with modifiers, daily missions, weekly heroic missions, daily crucible modes, weekly bounties etc. is beyond me. You can't even load up say the tank mission for the craic? Bizarre.

Heroic Strikes and Heroic Adventures are on the way. no idea about any of the rest of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Ive played alot lately and the games is OK I'd agree the loot is a load of ****e and as Conovar said reskinning armor is just lazy.

Pvp kept destiny 1 going and was I'm sure was expected to do the same here.
    After a lot of game time I've gotten used to a slower ttk and more weapon than abilities meta and I have to say I like it more than D1 pvp, with the notable exception of 4v4 that change will never make sense ever.

I was hoping we'd get bigger pvp modes ala old halo and bf4 imagine actual faction wars with big team pvp battles.... Instead we got a downgrade.

The game is built on 4v4 now though and it's not changing most likely.

What I'd like to see and it doesn't seem impractical would be re-introduce 6v6 in iron banner.

It's an event for a week once a month and you'd only need 1 or 2 maps along with some of the bigger current maps.

And I cannot fathom why control/clash/supremacy are not selectable rather than on a rotation, I often have to play several crap modes just to get a control game.

As for pve, I haven't played enough to be fatigued to the extent of some of you guys but, I'd agree rewards are a bit meh.
    I just want something to really grind for.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Ive played alot lately and the games is OK I'd agree the loot is a load of ****e and as Conovar said reskinning armor is just lazy.

Pvp kept destiny 1 going and was I'm sure was expected to do the same here.
    After a lot of game time I've gotten used to a slower ttk and more weapon than abilities meta and I have to say I like it more than D1 pvp, with the notable exception of 4v4 that change will never make sense ever.

I was hoping we'd get bigger pvp modes ala old halo and bf4 imagine actual faction wars with big team pvp battles.... Instead we got a downgrade.

The game is built on 4v4 now though and it's not changing most likely.

What I'd like to see and it doesn't seem impractical would be re-introduce 6v6 in iron banner.

It's an event for a week once a month and you'd only need 1 or 2 maps along with some of the bigger current maps.

And I cannot fathom why control/clash/supremacy are not selectable rather than on a rotation, I often have to play several crap modes just to get a control game.

As for pve, I haven't played enough to be fatigued to the extent of some of you guys but, I'd agree rewards are a bit meh.
    I just want something to really grind for.

yeah being forced to play game modes you don't like kills PvP for me.

SeanHarty wrote: »
    yeah being forced to play game modes you don't like kills PvP for me.

I like it. Everyone on here would tell you I stuck near 100% in control in destiny 1. Fear of failure put me off the other modes (apart from clash). I like that I'm forced to play all the modes, but I do wish the rotation of mode and map was better.

I much prefer 4vs4 to the 3vs3 mode and balance on destiny 1, but I do miss 6s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Blog is up.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46504

I can't find much to be disheartened by in it tbh.. maybe using 'going forward' twice in the opener

If they follow through with it all I'd be happy

Blog is up.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46504

I can't find much to be disheartened by in it tbh. If they follow through with it all I'd be happy

Indeed, seems to be a step in the right direction. A good bit of this stuff was in AoE D1, then stripped from D2 though, eg Xurs new engrams seem to work like the legacy ones he used to sell.

happy with blog post adresses alot of issues id have personally.
    hopefully it works out.

Haven't got my (meaningless) thoughts on it worked out yet, on the face of it it looks good but how it plays will be watching defines it. WbListening to the podcast they delivered alongside it - going with the assumption they are telling the truth, it's a good podcast so far. Echoing what I want to hear from them.

All looks good, only problem I see being is a small one with the new engram from xur, it says it will reward a new exotic if any are left to collect.

Some people are sitting on a pile of shards so the second they drop they will be able to go to xur and just buy those engrams until they have everything making the loot system even faster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

SeanHarty wrote: »
    All looks good, only problem I see being is a small one with the new engram from xur, it says it will reward a new exotic if any are left to collect.

Some people are sitting on a pile of shards so the second they drop they will be able to go to xur and just buy those engrams until they have everything making the loot system even faster?

Who ISN'T sitting on a pile of shards?

Who ISN'T sitting on a pile of shards?

well I haven't turned the game on for 2 weeks and didn't play it much even before that so I only have like 200-300 I think, haven't plenty of stuff I could brake down of course to maybe get me to 400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If they actually implement that, I'll be happy enough.
    Brings back interest to grind out stuff again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

If those are properly implemented, then I'll be fine with them. I particularly like 3oC actually telling you how it works this time round.

It will also be nice to have stuff to spend shards on, I have a few thousand of them at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I'm happy with most of it tbh. Unpopular opinion: fair play to them in sticking to their guns on 4v4. I'm happy with it, and PvP in general, bants in 6v6 is the ONLY reason I would want it restored. Is it as simple as flicking a switch to enable 6v6 though in a game that never had it?

Hard to keep everyone happy... the moaning about lack of space magic and abilities only replaced the moaning about the lack of gun play in a PvP shooter.

They can make all the changes to PvE they want. It still bores me for the most part. No interest in harder strikes or NFs. The raid is still crap as far as I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

PetKing wrote: »
    Is it as simple as flicking a switch to enable 6v6 though in a game that never had it?

The only reason they would have forced an across-the board a downgrade of an already low team limit for all modes would be technical issues. I guarantee you it was not a gameplay decision, so yup it's not something they can change easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    The only reason they would have forced an across-the board a downgrade of an already low team limit for all modes would be technical issues. I guarantee you it was not a gameplay decision, so yup it's not something they can change easily.
    Don't agree with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

AdamD wrote: »
    Don't agree with this.

I'd agree with this.

_CreeD_ wrote: »

I 100% disagree with you on this. I think it was absolutely a gameplay decision. They wanted to merge the differences between the 3s and 6s and create a more balanced, more predictable, readable PvP.

I think having a consistent fireteam size in PvP allows them to merge the playlist - you couldn't have had control and salvage in the same playlist in D1, you can have all game modes in whatever playlist you want. It also allows the same fireteam to switch between modes. Couldn't bring the same full (or 4/5 stack) fire team from Control into Salvage or Trials. Standardisation of the fire team size means the playlists can be consolidated, player population more easily managed and used to lower match making times, player movement within PvP modes isn't an issue.

I actually think saying it is down to a technical limitation is just a super salty b1tch.

In terms of wether it is a switch they could flick - I think at a base level it wouldn't be much beyond that but in the balance of the game modes would need to be looked at hugely. Scoring would need to be adjusted. Spawn points and objective points could possibly need to be moved. In terms of official game modes would Countdown work as it does with 33% more players, same with survival. They would also need to consider the impact such a change would have on match making and player population if not all modes cater to 6 man teams.

The 6 hour maintenance due later today has been postponed until tomorrow at 5pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

The only thing I'd have liked to see was anything to do with the vault/exotic kiosks etc etc. The extra incentive stuff not really grabbing me right now, since I was able to grind out all armour sets for my titan (IB, faction, planets etc etc).

Private matches, or changes to 6v6 don't bother me either. Will get over the fact a lot of these changes weren't there at the start once they do start to roll them out.

And really happy to see if you quit the crucible there should be some anti-bonus.

finished listening to the Bungie podcast. Was a good listen. No new information beyond the blog post yesterday but provided some context behind what they said and what they are and were thinking. Commitments to talking more often, regardless of who is giving the message, and whether that message is good or not. Of course we have heard similar before so it will be a case of actions speaking louder than words (1. which they said in the podcast itself and 2. the actions would actually be words in this respect).

Its worth a listen.

Bullet points (taken from Reddit - user chilidoggo).

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/7ght8f/the_bungie_podcast_november_2017/

Luke Smith, Mark Nosebury, and Eric Osborne are the 3 talking. The live team guy is out of town but he will be on future podcasts
    How they balance the game for different players

They first talk about how they think of players - dividing into tourists, hobbyists, and the hardcore. Really interesting, and they talk about this for a long time. They acknowledge that non-tourists are hitting a wall and are running out of stuff to do and say they need to focus on the more hardcore (opposite of D1 for them).
    They want Destiny to be a "Place where friendships are made" and they explicitly recognize a lot of the disappointment comes from people who's friends or clans are moving on to other games. They're not happy with this at all.
    They acknowledge that communication is a weak point for them. They want to be very careful not to make promises. "The fact that communication is hard is not an excuse". Some things are just too far out to be sure,
    They give the blog post as an example, where everything that's happening soon is within the next few weeks. They want to talk about the things going on, but need to be responsible with how they do it.
    Game development is hard

Game development is complex and hard, but they recognize that's not an excuse they can hide behind. They are appreciative that we (the audience) are "more sophisticated" than most.
    Masterworks specifically, they weren't sure it would be ready in time for Dec 12. They were very conflicted on whether to include it in their "Live Team" update from a month ago.
    They reference the two recent streams and the difference in reception to them. That's why they cancelled the third is because they could tell that's not we needed to see.
    Updates from minor to major are very subjective with how long they take to implement. QA, testing, and development vary like crazy. The XP issue was one number they could change instantly, but host migration during Calus is much much harder. (Server side switch is easy, changing a gun number requires a patch to the xbox/PC/whatever)
    Whenever they touch code anything can happen. Can take 1 minute to fix and 3 weeks to test and deploy. They mention the silly walk emote. Severity: very high (it could be used in Trials to get free kills); Fixing: easy-medium (they're pretty sure they knew what was wrong right away), testing: medium (could take time to test everywhere), but implementation would be impossible since PC launch was ~1 week out, and they basically cannot patch during that time period. The only solution to them was to pull Trials for a few weeks until they could patch (no easy way to pull the emote).
    Of course they also mention the heavy ammo Crota bug, but they say they should have communicated with the community and acknowledged that it was near-impossible to fix.
    Luke Smith mentions that he intentionally hasn't tweeted for a few months, and was a little surprised at the positive response to his two tweets earlier this week. He wants to do better as developers to communicate, both with and separate from DeeJ/Cosmo.
    XP conversation

Says this is a sensitive subject and they acknowledge that they would be stoking the forge here, but they need to address it head on because...
    "In the absence of information, I think people will - and rightly so - move themselves to believe that we created or initiated this system to **** them, to be ****ty, greedy jerks."
    They say it made sense from a design perspective to make some activities more or less rewarding. Unfortunately, they didn't realize the API didn't reflect that.
    The bad part of turning it off so quickly was the imbalance it made. They're focused on rebalancing it now and will be extremely transparent on it. They were really impressed by the graphs and charts Reddit made, and debated talking to that Redditor about a job. It convinced them to make the call
    "A lot of players are going to say, you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar" and they want their actions to speak louder than their words.
    They don't want a situation where people are doing something for XP systems rather than their own entertainment. They don't want another Loot Cave. Looking at the data, loot cave was not even close to the optimal way to get legendaries, but it highlighted how unrewarding Destiny was at the time.
    They don't mind our negative feedback, they accept it's part of the job of being game makers. They compartmentalize it and extract useful info.
    In conclusion...

They might not always be the ones talking, but they recognize the importance of continuing the conversation. It'll be a process
    Luke Smith is very excited about the myriad of changes coming in December, and the future stuff coming down the line. Masterworks is a foundational system, and they want to build on these things and improve them.
    They talk a bit about the changes coming soon... nothing not mentioned in the blog post.
    "The cake is good, we just need to improve the icing"

Ill come back to it on the 12th to see how it is then, blog is promising , would be great if they deliver on the promise.

I actually think saying it is down to a technical limitation is just a super salty b1tch.

Shots fired lol

In terms of wether it is a switch they could flick - I think at a base level it wouldn't be much beyond that but in the balance of the game modes would need to be looked at hugely. Scoring would need to be adjusted. Spawn points and objective points could possibly need to be moved. In terms of official game modes would Countdown work as it does with 33% more players, same with survival. They would also need to consider the impact such a change would have on match making and player population if not all modes cater to 6 man teams.

That's why I was thinking make iron banana 6v6 clash/control you wouldn't have to mess with regular pvp systems such as spawns, scoring, capture points etc.

Would also make iron banana something a bit different that what's already there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement