Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I feel destiny is the only one getting a backlash and that's mainly cause people are vocally disappointed with the game rather than loot boxes.

Your missing the point, its the deceiving and lies, the manipulating of the system by fixing xp and actively nerfing xp designed to encourage people to buy engrams which are loot boxes effectively.
    How can you defend that?

They have some neck bringing out DLC so soon after game release too.

I do agree however its a tad unfair to see Blizzard tarnished where it is bungie effectively doing this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

if it's not relevant then why ask the question?Maybe I got my wires crossed in what you meant there, I don't listen to Jim Sterling so don't know what the snakepit comment refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Dcully wrote: »
    Your missing the point, its the deceiving and lies, the manipulating of the system by fixing xp and actively nerfing xp designed to encourage people to buy engrams which are loot boxes effectively.
    How can you defend that?

They have some neck bringing out DLC so soon after game release too.

I do agree however its a tad unfair to see Blizzard tarnished where it is bungie effectively doing this.

I don't understand how you can criticise bungie for bringing out DLC with a fair amount of content so soon, then in the next sentence defend blizzard, whose most popular game you have to pay just for the privilidge of playing AND has paid expansions. I don't have an issue with sub based games, I just can't see how paid DLC is worse.

There's plenty to criticise bungie for, but that looks like double standards to me.

DLC so soon after release is a piss take, the game is out 6 weeks or so on PC.
    It could easily have shipped with this content but no they put it in DLC.

If your referring to WOW expansions ? lol they are years apart from eachother.

That content coming in the Destiny DLC was already there before the game released, dont be fooled into thinking otherwise.
    I have a far bigger issue with their recent antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,633 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That content coming in the Destiny DLC was already there before the game released, dont be fooled into thinking otherwise.
    I have a far bigger issue with their recent antics.

It'll be out slightly more than 3 months on Console when the DLC drops. Destiny had a similar model where DLC was dropped every few months.

Just because this is new to the PC does not mean it's new to the franchise.

• Advertisement

It's out almost 3 months on console though, you have to take that into account as well. I'm sure they could have put more into the launch game, I just don't get why it's such an issue for you when you go on to express sympathy for blizzard.

Their expansions are years apart, but there's also a subscription. I don't understand why you can be fine with a company doing that, yet have a problem with another company putting out content for effectively the cost of a month or two of playing a subscription based game. It's just different ways of doing the exact same thing.

I'm not fooled at all, I'm just a bit baffled by the double standard.

At the end of the day game developers are going to want to make money, and as long as I think I'm getting enough value for that money, I'm happy enough to pay it. I do think the xp thing was bull**** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Its been out 3 months on console, Destiny 1 had dlc drop at the same time. The content, while probably in a playable state, was not complete when Destiny 2 launched on consoles and as such is dlc content.

Where did i say it was a new franchise?

3 months is nothing in game development, do you really think what your getting in this DLC was created since the game was released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

the more I read this thread the more depressed by the fact I bought the deluxe version which came with the season pass :rolleyes:

Where did i say it was a new franchise?

3 months is nothing in game development, do you really think what your getting in this DLC was created since the game was released?

Of course it wasn't, doesn't mean the content was ready for release with the rest of the game either.

A lot of polish can be added to a game in 3 months, look at Mass Effect Andromeda. That game would have been much better received if given another 3 months development.

• Advertisement

It's out almost 3 months on console though, you have to take that into account as well. I'm sure they could have put more into the launch game, I just don't get why it's such an issue for you when you go on to express sympathy for blizzard.

Their expansions are years apart, but there's also a subscription. I don't understand why you can be fine with a company doing that, yet have a problem with another company putting out content for effectively the cost of a month or two of playing a subscription based game. It's just different ways of doing the exact same thing.

I'm not fooled at all, I'm just a bit baffled by the double standard.

At the end of the day game developers are going to want to make money, and as long as I think I'm getting enough value for that money, I'm happy enough to pay it. I do think the xp thing was bull**** though.

You cannot compare destiny to WOW, you just cant.
    Or its expansions for that matter, wow expansions literally last years [thats why they are years apart], have practically infinite amount of content.
    Its why pretty much every MMO that tried to knock wow off its throne has failed.
    Have you played wow by the way? Just wondering because if you did you would see where im coming from.

I dont these days but have done on and off since its release 14 or so years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,882 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    if it's not relevant then why ask the question?Maybe I got my wires crossed in what you meant there, I don't listen to Jim Sterling so don't know what the snakepit comment refers to.

What destiny does specifically isn't relevant to a reputation that Activision and Blizzard, apparently, have for being manipulative snakes - unless that rep is based mainly on the last two months of destiny.

You cannot compare destiny to WOW, you just cant.
    Or its expansions for that matter, wow expansions literally last years [thats why they are years apart], have practically infinite amount of content.
    Its why pretty much every MMO that tried to knock wow off its throne has failed.
    Have you played wow by the way? Just wondering because if you did you would see where im coming from.

I dont these days but have done on and off since its release 14 or so years ago.

No, you can't compare the games but you can compare the payment models they use. One uses a subscription model, the other uses frequent DLC. I'm not comparing WoW expansions to destiny DLC, I'm comparing paid DLC to subscription fees, because as far as I can see they're effectively the same thing.

I've played a bit of WoW, never got massively into it to be fair but I played FFXIV for years and as far as I understand it, that follows a very similar structure to WoW.

Confession: bright engrams don't bother me at all.

I get them fairly regularly and I generally don't care about what is in them, or what tess is selling. I've 2k bright dust to spend on her wares and I generally dont bother buying anything.

The only issue I have with the xp capping is that it was not communicated (and that is s***house behavior)

Agreed engrams mean nothing similar to skins and sprays in overwatch.
    Its the ****ty practice thats the real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The issue is that there is very little to do in the game and the loot isn't fun. The loot issue isn't an easy fix IMO, people have been playing destiny so long that they instantly know what's good and what to shard, so there's no trying out the loot phase like there was in D1, this makes it boring because you never feel the need to test your weapons out. I don't think removing fixed perks will help that either.

Nothing to do can be solved. Why there aren't strikes with modifiers, daily missions, weekly heroic missions, daily crucible modes, weekly bounties etc. is beyond me. You can't even load up say the tank mission for the craic? Bizarre.

AdamD wrote: »
    Nothing to do can be solved. Why there aren't strikes with modifiers, daily missions, weekly heroic missions, daily crucible modes, weekly bounties etc. is beyond me. You can't even load up say the tank mission for the craic? Bizarre.

Heroic Strikes and Heroic Adventures are on the way. no idea about any of the rest of the stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Ive played alot lately and the games is OK I'd agree the loot is a load of ****e and as Conovar said reskinning armor is just lazy.

Pvp kept destiny 1 going and was I'm sure was expected to do the same here.
    After a lot of game time I've gotten used to a slower ttk and more weapon than abilities meta and I have to say I like it more than D1 pvp, with the notable exception of 4v4 that change will never make sense ever.

I was hoping we'd get bigger pvp modes ala old halo and bf4 imagine actual faction wars with big team pvp battles.... Instead we got a downgrade.

The game is built on 4v4 now though and it's not changing most likely.

What I'd like to see and it doesn't seem impractical would be re-introduce 6v6 in iron banner.

It's an event for a week once a month and you'd only need 1 or 2 maps along with some of the bigger current maps.

And I cannot fathom why control/clash/supremacy are not selectable rather than on a rotation, I often have to play several crap modes just to get a control game.

As for pve, I haven't played enough to be fatigued to the extent of some of you guys but, I'd agree rewards are a bit meh.
    I just want something to really grind for.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Ive played alot lately and the games is OK I'd agree the loot is a load of ****e and as Conovar said reskinning armor is just lazy.

Pvp kept destiny 1 going and was I'm sure was expected to do the same here.
    After a lot of game time I've gotten used to a slower ttk and more weapon than abilities meta and I have to say I like it more than D1 pvp, with the notable exception of 4v4 that change will never make sense ever.

I was hoping we'd get bigger pvp modes ala old halo and bf4 imagine actual faction wars with big team pvp battles.... Instead we got a downgrade.

The game is built on 4v4 now though and it's not changing most likely.

What I'd like to see and it doesn't seem impractical would be re-introduce 6v6 in iron banner.

It's an event for a week once a month and you'd only need 1 or 2 maps along with some of the bigger current maps.

And I cannot fathom why control/clash/supremacy are not selectable rather than on a rotation, I often have to play several crap modes just to get a control game.

As for pve, I haven't played enough to be fatigued to the extent of some of you guys but, I'd agree rewards are a bit meh.
    I just want something to really grind for.

yeah being forced to play game modes you don't like kills PvP for me.

SeanHarty wrote: »
    yeah being forced to play game modes you don't like kills PvP for me.

I like it. Everyone on here would tell you I stuck near 100% in control in destiny 1. Fear of failure put me off the other modes (apart from clash). I like that I'm forced to play all the modes, but I do wish the rotation of mode and map was better.

I much prefer 4vs4 to the 3vs3 mode and balance on destiny 1, but I do miss 6s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,042 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Blog is up.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46504

I can't find much to be disheartened by in it tbh.. maybe using 'going forward' twice in the opener

If they follow through with it all I'd be happy

Blog is up.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/46504

I can't find much to be disheartened by in it tbh. If they follow through with it all I'd be happy

Indeed, seems to be a step in the right direction. A good bit of this stuff was in AoE D1, then stripped from D2 though, eg Xurs new engrams seem to work like the legacy ones he used to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

happy with blog post adresses alot of issues id have personally.
    hopefully it works out.

Haven't got my (meaningless) thoughts on it worked out yet, on the face of it it looks good but how it plays will be watching defines it. WbListening to the podcast they delivered alongside it - going with the assumption they are telling the truth, it's a good podcast so far. Echoing what I want to hear from them.

All looks good, only problem I see being is a small one with the new engram from xur, it says it will reward a new exotic if any are left to collect.

Some people are sitting on a pile of shards so the second they drop they will be able to go to xur and just buy those engrams until they have everything making the loot system even faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

SeanHarty wrote: »
    All looks good, only problem I see being is a small one with the new engram from xur, it says it will reward a new exotic if any are left to collect.

Some people are sitting on a pile of shards so the second they drop they will be able to go to xur and just buy those engrams until they have everything making the loot system even faster?

Who ISN'T sitting on a pile of shards?

Who ISN'T sitting on a pile of shards?

well I haven't turned the game on for 2 weeks and didn't play it much even before that so I only have like 200-300 I think, haven't plenty of stuff I could brake down of course to maybe get me to 400

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If they actually implement that, I'll be happy enough.
    Brings back interest to grind out stuff again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

If those are properly implemented, then I'll be fine with them. I particularly like 3oC actually telling you how it works this time round.

It will also be nice to have stuff to spend shards on, I have a few thousand of them at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

I'm happy with most of it tbh. Unpopular opinion: fair play to them in sticking to their guns on 4v4. I'm happy with it, and PvP in general, bants in 6v6 is the ONLY reason I would want it restored. Is it as simple as flicking a switch to enable 6v6 though in a game that never had it?

Hard to keep everyone happy... the moaning about lack of space magic and abilities only replaced the moaning about the lack of gun play in a PvP shooter.

They can make all the changes to PvE they want. It still bores me for the most part. No interest in harder strikes or NFs. The raid is still crap as far as I can see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement