Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work secret Santa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

A packet of Denny Rashers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

gary glitter calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SaatanaArctica

Estrellita wrote: »
    Novelty mug is a pretty standard work secret santa item.

These gifts are ghastly, the mug is not funny, or original.

It's worth adding the extra money for a useable voucher. You cannot possibly know what your receivers interests are. I received a mug as a secret santa gift in the past. It never made it out of the building.
    It's not supposed to be funny or original. It's supposed to be standard to get you by if you don't know what to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Witchie wrote: »
    Started a new job just over 2 weeks ago and we are having our Christmas party next Wednesday. People have to buy a gift and it will be randomly given out.

My problem is I have no clue what to buy.

I work in a tech company. The budget had been set at anything above 20 ringett (€4!) and as 99.9% of the people that work there are strict muslims, alcohol is not an option.

HELP

Something with an Irish theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Just give them the gift of you witchie, it's all any malay man...or woman could possibly want

You are too sweet. That said I found out today that the only guy who caught my eye is married with 2 kids. Dammit.
    Something with an Irish theme?

I would if I could find something here in time. We have to hand them to the organisers on Monday and the party is on Wednesday. Aghhh.....think will just have to be totally unoriginal then.

• Advertisement

You are too sweet. That said I found out today that the only guy who caught my eye is married with 2 kids. Dammit.

I would if I could find something here in time. We have to hand them to the organisers on Monday and the party is on Wednesday. Aghhh.....think will just have to be totally unoriginal then.

Where are you based in Malaysia? KL?

Where are you based in Malaysia? KL?

Yes....do you have some help for me?

Yes....do you have some help for me?

Let me see....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

For years, I've just reused the present I recieve the previous year as this year's gift.

Job's Oxo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

We have to do a secret Santa too.

However we also have to write a note to a random person saying thanks for being great.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    We have to do a secret Santa too.

However we also have to write a note to a random person saying thanks for being great.

That's a lovely idea, but since have only spoken to about 5 out of the 25 people in the office (we have 3 different projects going on and I only work on one so have no reason to talk to the others and too busy trying to cram a whole day's work into 4 hours.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Very thinly veiled ‘I work in Malaysia’ thread.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Very thinly veiled ‘I work in Malaysia’ thread.

I don't do thinly anything love. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I don't do thinly anything love. :p

https://youtu.be/gL4Vf2FLtq8

:D

How did you get up 11 floors to video me through the window?

Mods....stalker alert! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jack hackett

You can never go wrong with a candle, used in all religions, save offending anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

That's a lovely idea, but since have only spoken to about 5 out of the 25 people in the office (we have 3 different projects going on and I only work on one so have no reason to talk to the others and too busy trying to cram a whole day's work into 4 hours.)

I'm in the same boat. He's the only Muslim in the company and I've no idea what to get. He usually buy each other somthing funny or pointless. Don't know how he'd feel about that. I was thinking something Irish like Guinness, or Denny rashers and sausages. Then I thought somthing more religious would be more appropriate like a nativity scene or maybe a shaving set. Think socks might be safest bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

How did you get up 11 floors to video me through the window?

Mods....stalker alert! :D

It's amazing what a motivated man is capable of!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Tesco has a mug with a picture of a kitkat on it and a pack of 6 kitkat in it, perfect gift its cheap useful and its got chocolate bars as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Can't you opt out of this secret santa thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

if it were in ireland i'd suggest a bunch of stuff from flying tiger
    but you aren't
    that's the end of my story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I hate the whole secret santa thing having received a hugely innappropriate 'gift' last year.
    But doing the idea correctly and for someone you dont know and on a small budget.....cant go wrong with choccies/maybe a book or diary etc.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I hate the whole secret santa thing having received a hugely innappropriate 'gift' last year.
    But doing the idea correctly and for someone you dont know and on a small budget.....cant go wrong with choccies/maybe a book or diary etc.....

I was given a tub of anti dandruff brylcreem one year..I don't have dandruff! I was annoyed/embarrased until I found out who it was....he gave somebody else a bar of imperial leather soap another year. Same fella looked like he had an annual bath and smelled worse....he should have kept theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

368100 wrote: »
    I was given a tub of anti dandruff brylcreem one year..I don't have dandruff! I was annoyed/embarrased until I found out who it was....he gave somebody else a bar of imperial leather soap another year. Same fella looked like he had an annual bath and smelled worse....he should have kept theme.

Mine was more of a sexual/weird nature and it is terrible to be suspicious of all your work colleagues afterwards :/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A DVD player and a DVD boxset of Magnum PI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

bluewolf wrote: »
    if it were in ireland i'd suggest a bunch of stuff from flying tiger
    but you aren't
    that's the end of my story

I concur.

On a slight tangent, why did they change the name here to that. Tiger was a cool name for a shop. Flying Tiger sounds like a dodgy sex manual position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Give lots of toilet paper.
    Mandatory gift exchanges with people you don't know.
    Still less annoying than whip-rounds every week to contribute to some strangers birthday. Write weird intimate messages if you have no idea who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Mine was more of a sexual/weird nature and it is terrible to be suspicious of all your work colleagues afterwards :/

You have my sympathies. A secret Santa I was involved in a few years ago one of the girls got a vibrator. It would have been funny if someone she knew well or a friend confessed, but no one owned up to it and it got very awkward. The next year another girl got a crotchless lingerie set with a genuinely creepy and filthy note wrapped up in it. Of course no one knew who it was since you got your person out of a draw and kept it secret and then deposited the gift in their pigeonhole so they don't know who its from.

No more secret Santa after that. It was eventually revived but with a person administrating it so it was on record who got matched up with who.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

€12.99 each. Designist. George’s st.

image-2.png

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    Can't you opt out of this secret santa thing?

No. I already am awkward enough trying to remember names and stiff in the office. Don't want someone not to get a gift.
    david75 wrote: »
    €12.99 each. Designist. George’s st.

image-2.png

If I was in Ireland....sure!

Advertisement