Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work secret Santa

Options
  • 29-11-2017 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭

Started a new job just over 2 weeks ago and we are having our Christmas party next Wednesday. People have to buy a gift and it will be randomly given out.

My problem is I have no clue what to buy.

I work in a tech company. The budget had been set at anything above 20 ringett (€4!) and as 99.9% of the people that work there are strict muslims, alcohol is not an option.

HELP

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Witchie wrote: »
    Started a new job just over 2 weeks ago and we are having our Christmas party next Wednesday. People have to buy a gift and it will be randomly given out.

My problem is I have no clue what to buy.

I work in a tech company. The budget had been set at anything above 20 ringett (€4!) and as 99.9% of the people that work there are strict muslims, alcohol is not an option.

HELP

I have this white next week

I'm just buying a candle

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

21 ringett voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Second hand Ford Focus always goes down well in my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I had to google what a ringgit was :(

Malaysian currency if you are wondering. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A box of sweets or some sort of confectionery should do the job, I'm not too familiar with the local treats over there, but sweet treats seem to transcend cultures :D

ps - Congratulations on the new job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

If the majority are Muslim's - why are they celebrating Christmas?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Pretzill wrote: »

Trying to accommodate the apostates in one place to facilitate Isis?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Would you get a big jar of sweets in Debenhams/Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Because they celebrate most festivals here. Halloween was pretty major.

The country is very moderate and as there are 3 main etnicities here - Malay, Chinese and Indian - there are many religions and cultures and they embrace them all.

My company is focused on creating a product for people who are halal (don't worry the irony of a vegetarian atheist westerner leading such a project is not lost on me) so the majority are Muslim.

Was thinking of a cool mug and a mini hamper of teas and coffees but just not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nerf guns always go down well. They're also easy to regift to children.

• Advertisement

Would you get a big jar of sweets in Debenhams/Aldi?

No aldi here but that might be possible. Will have to make sure it is Halal.....now if only there was an app for that....

:D

Because they celebrate most festivals here. Halloween was pretty major.

The country is very moderate and as there are 3 main etnicities here - Malay, Chinese and Indian - there are many religions and cultures and they embrace them all.

My company is focused on creating a product for people who are halal (don't worry the irony of a vegetarian atheist westerner leading such a project is not lost on me) so the majority are Muslim.

Was thinking of a cool mug and a mini hamper of teas and coffees but just not sure.

Sorry I wasn't questioning their right to party :)
    Just when you said 99.9% I wouldn't have expected such focus on a Christian holiday. It was a genuine question -

A box of nice sweet treats - Turkish delight or something?

Good suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Kinda reminds me of the time one of my co-workers told me they were Hindu. I asked him what's a Hindu? He went into a big long explanation and I felt bad then because the joke was lost on an actual Hindu, and I didn't have the heart to tell him to stop :pac:

(answer: lays eggs)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

The God Delusion and a packet of pork scratchings!

Sorry I wasn't questioning their right to party :)
    Just when you said 99.9% I wouldn't have expected such focus on a Christian holiday. It was a genuine question -

I hear ya! I think they just enjoy festivities here no matter what religious beliefs are behind them. Am not complaining coz we are going to an amazing restaurant in the Shangri-la hotel so will be a lovely meal anyway.

Bought my dress yesterday. Excited for it but just trying to think of something to buy. Would love to have gotten something Irish but apart from alcohol and O'Brien's sandwich bars, there is nothing Irish here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

The fella I got asked something very silly earlier in the year so im getting it put on a mug as a quote giving him credit for it.

He also occasionally and unintentionally wears odd socks so I'm getting him a set of 3 odd socks.

368100 wrote: »
    The fella I got asked something very silly earlier in the year so im getting it put on a mug as a quote giving him credit for it.

He also occasionally and unintentionally wears odd socks so I'm getting him a set of 3 odd socks.

In my place the gifts are randomly assigned

Yeah if I knew who I had to buy for it works be easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Stheno wrote: »
    In my place the gifts are randomly assigned

Must make it harder, I'd say a lot of them will be similar, play it safe etc

• Advertisement

368100 wrote: »
    Must make it harder, I'd say a lot of them will be similar, play it safe etc

They are usually booze

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A couple of years ago my friend had a secret Santa in his job. He was assigned to get a woman something for Christmas and not wanting to totally cheap out he bought the Britney Spears perfume. Memory says it cost him 40 euro at the time.

He gave the gift to the woman and she loved it. When he got his gift (from another woman) he got a pen with his name on it :pac:

Lesson learned. Always go cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Christmas party where 99.9% are Muslims?

Who came up with this idea?

Witchie would you get something Irish themed online and delivered on time?

Witchie would you get something Irish themed online and delivered on time?

I highly doubt it as I am still waiting for birthday cards that were sent to me in August. :eek:

wonski wrote: »
    Christmas party where 99.9% are Muslims?

Who came up with this idea?

Fun liberal people who enjoy celebrating life. It's almost as massive here as at home. My local mall has the decorations up and is blaring Christmas tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SaatanaArctica

Novelty mug is a pretty standard work secret santa item.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

What about a Durian, if they are not banned in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

At a party I attended someone had bought a breast pump for a lad who had put on a lot of weight during the year, don't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

Just give them the gift of you witchie, it's all any malay man...or woman could possibly want

Advertisement