Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread VI - Stander Up and Fight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

I've seen most of Munsters games last two seasons and the difference in the team when Kleyn is/isn't available stands out.

I think it's a combination of him being a class act and the replacement options being generally quite poor.

As much as he's been very handy at times despite his occasional injury issues, I think Nagle would be adding a lot more value in Munster than in Leinster right now.

Nah, our A team is grand thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Nah, out A team is grand thanks

Happy to rely on saffers and leinstermen

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    I've seen most of Munsters games last two seasons and the difference in the team when Kleyn is/isn't available stands out.

I think it's a combination of him being a class act and the replacement options being generally quite poor.

As much as he's been very handy at times despite his occasional injury issues, I think Nagle would be adding a lot more value in Munster than in Leinster right now.

We've had an injury crisis this season at lock, I think Holland is the only lock in the squad that hasn't been injured or suspended (Wycherley).
    With a fully fit squad I'm not sure Nagle would add a lot.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Happy to rely on saffers and leinstermen

Geography makes him a better player does it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    Kilcoyne, Marshall, Archer, Kleyn, Holland, POM, TOD*, Stander
    Murray, Keatley, Wootton, Scannell, Arnold, Sweetnam, Conway

KOB, LOC, Ryan, DOS, JOD, Williams, Johnston, JJH

*TOD is in limited training this week. Normally that means you are good to go for next week.

I don't think TOD coming back from injury should displace Colete in the team. He has been a class act since he joined. Deserves a shot in a game with the full team.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,252 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We've had an injury crisis this season at lock, I think Holland is the only lock in the squad that hasn't been injured or suspended (Wycherley).
    With a fully fit squad I'm not sure Nagle would add a lot.

Did you not get rid of about 4 of them during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A new born king to see POM POM POM POM POM
    Tomtom364 wrote: »
    I don't think TOD coming back from injury should displace Colete in the team. He has been a class act since he joined. Deserves a shot in a game with the full team.

Ugh completely forgot about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Tomtom364 wrote: »

In fairness he's played what, the Dragons seconds and Zebre seconds? If he didn't show up well there would be concerns. TOD has been brilliant all season and would've been capped again but for injury

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Kilcoyne, Marshall, Archer, Kleyn, Holland, POM, TOD*, Stander
    Murray, Keatley, Wootton, Scannell, Arnold, Sweetnam, Conway

KOB, LOC, Ryan, DOS, JOD, Williams, Johnston, JJH

*TOD is in limited training this week. Normally that means you are good to go for next week.

Given our injury profile that could well be our strongest 9-15 for Leicester too. Reserve backs wise we only have JJ, Johnston and ROM registered for Europe unless Zebo can shake off the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

John Hayes Ligind
    Can Flanagan and Taute be replaced by Nash and Fitzgerald in the squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Psycho Killer - "Hands Away" (Prop-Prop-Prrrroppp-Prop, Prop-Prop-Prop-Prrrrrrop-Prop)
    case885 wrote: »
    Can Flanagan and Taute be replaced by Nash and Fitzgerald in the squad?

You can make 3 changes to the squad in the group stages but at least 1 has to be a front row. If you reach the knockout stages you can make a further 3 changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

Apparently, CJ's contract negotiations are also moving very slowly. Looks like the lads may be backing each other for the best deal - understandable really.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro14/cj-stander-could-join-peter-o-mahony-in-leaving-munster-1.3308835

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

John Hayes Ligind
    Zebo is fine apparently.

Zebo is fine apparently.

Great if true

As a Munster fan I'd be disappointed to lose both POM and CJ...we couldn't take that hit at club level, and it would have a hugely negative impact on the national side too ..think Nucifora is going to have to earn his wage in contract negotiations these next 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

As a Munster fan I'd be disappointed to lose both POM and CJ...we couldn't take that hit at club level, and it would have a hugely negative impact on the national side too ..think Nucifora is going to have to earn his wage in contract negotiations these next 6 months

From an outside perspective:

I don't think you'll lose both, but one is looking likely.

You'll be grand if you lose one. I mostly think this because I rate Jack O'Donoghue very highly - the guy looks like a gem and should push on well when given the boots to fill.

Losing two would be a tough blow.

I don't think Munster will lose either. POM will want to go to the next world cup and CJ appears very settled here. This is fishing.

POM definitely gone after the World Cup though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

I don't think Munster will lose either. POM will want to go to the next world cup and CJ appears very settled here. This is fishing.

I'm happy for Munster if you're right, I just don't think it'll be the end of the World (Cup...).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,023 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Guess Who's Back, Back Again? JJ's Back, Tell a Friend

sure wasant Sexton picked for Ireland when he played in France ???

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yes he was. He had secured allowances to be made available for training camps with Ireland. Without this at the very least you can all but guarantee non selection for Ireland.

However my thinking is that given the changing climate there will be no future allowances made. Maybe Murray, Sexton and Furlong would get picked if they moved but I'd be doubtful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Notfrontrow

Yes he was. He had secured allowances to be made available for training camps with Ireland. Without this at the very least you can all but guarantee non selection for Ireland.

However my thinking is that given the changing climate there will be no future allowances made. Maybe Murray, Sexton and Furlong would get picked if they moved but I'd be doubtful.

Of those three I suspect that Murray is the only one who would warrant overseas continued inclusion. The replacements for Furlong and Sexton weaken the team, but don't hurt the team as much as the replacements for Murray.

Of those three I suspect that Murray is the only one who would warrant overseas continued inclusion. The replacements for Furlong and Sexton weaken the team, but don't hurt the team as much as the replacements for Murray.

I'm not sure about that, I'd argue that Marmion / McGrath have shown more continuity at a high level than Keatley or Carbery. Maybe if Jackson was available I'd agree but he's not unfortunately.

Furlong is the best Tight head in the world and far better than anyone in Ireland on their best day. He has pretty much everything bar a kicking game (he might have one, we just haven't seen it yet). It's not as crucial a position provided the replacement can lock out the scrum, but he is a massive player for us.

Eitherway, the only way we will find out is if/when it happens.

PTH2009 wrote: »

The (unwritten) rule was set up as a result of Sexton going to France, it wasn’t in place before hand (Murphy, Bowe). It was created to stop more big players from being lured away by big money and it worked for a few years. It is infantile to link the two and keep saying “But Sexton and Leinster” yada yada yada.

Allowing all these so called big players to go abroad and still play for Ireland will not help Ireland and the provinces. Would you be happy with Munster/Leinster/Connaught/Ulster teams full of nobodies and young players ? Who then show any ability and they are gone abroad, I don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The (unwritten) rule was set up as a result of Sexton going to France, it wasn’t in place before hand (Murphy, Bowe). It was created to stop more big players from being lured away by big money and it worked for a few years. It is infantile to link the two and keep saying “But Sexton and Leinster” yada yada yada.

Allowing all these so called big players to go abroad and still play for Ireland will not help Ireland and the provinces. Would you be happy with Munster/Leinster/Connaught/Ulster teams full of nobodies and young players ? Who then show any ability and they are gone abroad, I don’t.

I agree but what do you do when Ulster take so-called 'big players' and turn them in to nobodies without the need for them to go abroad.

Interesting interview Dougie did with radio 5, saying he tried to get Savea to come to Munster, didn't come off as it wasn't a position that was deemed a priority.... Would love to have seen him running at the Leicester defence next week :D

Interesting interview Dougie did with radio 5, saying he tried to get Savea to come to Munster, didn't come off as it wasn't a position that was deemed a priority.... Would love to have seen him running at the Leicester defence next week :D

Was this taken out of context? From the interviews I read it seemed like he was joking about it as Savea was so close to Dougies record, so he was trying to remove him from that equation?

budhabob wrote: »
    Was this taken out of context? From the interviews I read it seemed like he was joking about it as Savea was so close to Dougies record, so he was trying to remove him from that equation?

No, that was an addendum, he was trying to get him to sign...for the good of Munster...but it would have been good for him to personally ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,023 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Twitter

rossouwdj (@DjRossouw87)
    To my Munster followers.

JP Ferreira(defensive coach) is in negotiations with Munster.

phog wrote: »
    From Twitter

I saw that... he'd been at the Lions for 9 or 10 years and has a very good reputation.... just wonder what it means for Fla if he comes onboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

John Hayes Ligind
    I saw that... he'd been at the Lions for 9 or 10 years and has a very good reputation.... just wonder what it means for Fla if he comes onboard

He'd be replacing Nienaber surely?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement