Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get over your ex?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Thanks folks. Ye're not a bad bunch of heads at all x

It's horrible :(
    There is no trick nor cure nor strategy to ease the pain Bambi. You must go through all of the feelings.

WHY isn't there though? Seriously we can put a man on the moon and find a cure for all kinds of diseases but there's not a pill to deal with heartbreak? What kind of bullsh1t is that?

I'm not good at feeling all the feelings, secretly I resent feelings because they always lead me here, in love with the wrong man or crying in an airport because I heard a song and suddenly BOOM, waterworks.
    anna080 wrote: »
    It's a bad time of year as well, being Christmas and all and people being all notioney.

Amen to that as well. I think the bombardment of "she said YES!" facebook posts is going to positively throw me over the edge this year too. Bah humbug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Seriously we can put a man on the moon and find a cure for all kinds of diseases but there's not a pill to deal with heartbreak? What kind of bullsh1t is that?

Heh. Of course there are pills. Most of them are as bad for you as heartbreak; I'm talking about the ones that come in liquid form in a glass at the pub, or that you'd hide from your doctor or the law. Some of them are useful for numbing your feelings until you can cope with them on your own, but there's nothing like any availability of psychiatry in this country.

Oddly, one chemical component of good strong green or black tea is actually used as an antidepressant in some countries. I'm not a health professional so I won't go into it in any depth, but when people have a cup of tea for stress, they are not just engaging in British grandmother magic. Quite by accident I found that tea with rose petals in it is very soothing. When I last had a heartbreak I could not afford to stay home from work, but if I drank black tea with rose petals in it, I felt a bit more ease and could function better. Twinings makes an acceptable and affordable version, "China Rose", that you might try if you are inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I had her for dinner… with a nice Chianti, and some fava beans.

Time

And finding a decent replacement (even in the short term)

(NB the characteristics of a short-term replacement are usually not those of either yr ex nor of a successful long-term replacement, keep em peeled)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

First of all getting your heart broken is absolute shyte and I'm sorry to hear you're in that place Bambi. I know you just want to be over it already but time really is the only thing that will lessen the pain.

Now for some bad advice, I like to ride my way out of painful break ups. Best way to get over someone is to get under someone else :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

Drink isn’t the answer but some opt for a pharmaceutical approach

Party on gurl, but only until the start of 2018

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=57LS8MyY2hE

This would be my no 1 choice if possible - Is induced coma an option if time heals all wounds ?

Sleep for 6 months and wake up refreshed and healed

Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bambi985 wrote: »
    How did you get over your ex?

Help a sister out AH.

Got under my next ex.

Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I always listen to this song when the exs come along

I think i always look at it as their loss, im true to myself thats what matters.

Its the 'its not you its me attitude' except its them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

won,t play jimbo ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Now for some bad advice, I like to ride my way out of painful break ups. Best way to get over someone is to get under someone else :D

Might have worked ten years ago but now that I'm all old and sensible I tend to fall in love with anyone I let inside my pants :(
    worded wrote: »

Party on gurl, but only until the start of 2018

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=57LS8MyY2hE

Ah heyorrrrrr, haven't heard that gem since I was in college light years ago! Used to be a major Damo fan.
    worded wrote: »
    This would be my no 1 choice if possible - Is induced coma an option if time heals all wounds ?

That genuinely gave me a giggle, thanks for that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Sleather678

Time... that all really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I never did get over her.

Never wanted to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

You need take some time out to reevaluate yourself and your life. There's no rush. I made some new friends who mean the world to me now. I focused on my own shortcomings instead of the other party's. I started to meditate and tried to become more comfortable with myself at last. It's a chance to own your own mistakes, I made many. It's cathartic. Breakups can be the best thing that ever happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ooh i dunno how Id get over it..Hes my best friend by far..and I his..I can't think of a reason why we would need to break up but there'll be a big hole in both of our lives if we were too. Been dating all through college, shared so much together. I can't imagine a life without him, even if we were to break up. I couldn't not speak to him again just because we weren't dating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

When I was a wee bit younger I broke a few hearts , wasn't even the breaking, it was the guttless way I did it , just stopped answering phone ( before mobiles) yes I'm that old .

Arranging to meet and not turn up, feeble excuses , I was hoping they'd get message and just go away instead of just being man enough to just finish it .

Well . . anyway I got my heart broken , wasn't very nice at all , and all I could think about was it was good enough for me , I had it coming .... Really hated myself for a bit , so anyway I went traveling , cycled on a bike for 10 days , ended up in Cork ....well I did leave from Wales ...wasn't like I left Killarney or somthing , wouldn't be much of a story would it!!!!

I loved Ireland so much I came back again a few months later , found love of my life and learnt to treat people a bit better . Married now, three kids. 2 Dogs , 3 bikes . I call that progress .

Edit ...Pick up bike 3 next week ......yyyyyeeeeeeehhhh I'm so excited !!!! Mad for the riding !!!!

won,t play jimbo ?????

sorry about that thought i linked it right, we gotta get out of this place by the animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If your not tied down with kids/mortgage etc

flake off on a holiday/travel for as long as you can to get a new routine/perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Aaaa Poor bambino, you need some Mia Angelou in your life

Still I Rise

You may write me down in history
    With your bitter, twisted lies,
    You may trod me in the very dirt
    But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
    Why are you beset with gloom?
    ’Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
    Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
    With the certainty of tides,
    Just like hopes springing high,
    Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
    Bowed head and lowered eyes?
    Shoulders falling down like teardrops,
    Weakened by my soulful cries?

Does my haughtiness offend you?
    Don't you take it awful hard
    ’Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
    Diggin’ in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
    You may cut me with your eyes,
    You may kill me with your hatefulness,
    But still, like air, I’ll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
    Does it come as a surprise
    That I dance like I've got diamonds
    At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history’s shame
    I rise
    Up from a past that’s rooted in pain
    I rise
    I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
    Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
    I rise
    Into a daybreak that’s wondrously clear
    I rise
    Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
    I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
    I rise
    I rise
    I rise.

Better still is to hear this beautiful piece of work by the poet herself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Shagged my way through a compound of flight attendants for about 10 years, then married one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

double post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You have had ex sex with them since the break up I presume? Thats the way to end it, delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Books can be good in this period. They say not to avoid your depression but go with it so maybe start with something like the bell jar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Time. In every case - just "time".

Well, aside from the one where I moved to the other side of the world. That worked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

****** her ma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

EICVD wrote: »
    ****** her ma!

******* = Pestering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Stopped talking to her and moved away to another country and started living my life.

Did the job. We're both in better places now.

Some music to cheer you up ?

Bat For Lashes - What's a Girl To Do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATVtZP_NSLg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Best way to get over someone is to get under someone else :D

I knew you'd be the one too say this :pac: :D.

Advertisement