Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think ISIS/Al Queda terror will end eventually?

Options
  • 27-11-2017 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Optimistically I think it will, look back over past decades and all these types of movements and campaigns, the 'RA included, sort of mutate, evolve and eventually fizzle out, possibly replaced by something else better or worse or halt altogether.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Will just evolve into something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm sure something else will come along to keep the easily-scared full of fear, and the easily-riled full of anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well it seems to have died down a lot. When was the last terrorist attack even? august in barcelona? Maybe I'm wrong but its the last one I can recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well it seems to have died down a lot. When was the last terrorist attack even? august in barcelona? Maybe I'm wrong but its the last one I can recall

More than 300 people died in a mosque attack in Egypt on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Will just evolve into something else

well said.
    Wasn't bin laden an ally to the americans during the cold war in the 80s. CIA arming his group with weapons to fight the soviets. Yesterday's ally tomorrow's enemy. As in things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Will humans stop being violent with each other?

Not in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Egypt this week springs to mind with over 300 deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Eventually yeah, but there will be something else to take their place. They are the most fundamentally at odds with evolving civilisation at the present time, but there's plenty more hot on their heels. Wait until the Christians get going, or the sea levels start to rise, plenty of fun times ahead for future generations, if we make it that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

OnDraught wrote: »
    More than 300 people died in a mosque attack in Egypt on Friday.

If facebook doesn't have a temporary profile filter for it then it doesn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No, sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Not in a million years. The belief system behind it is incompatible with modern (I.e. post 1600!) society.

The more we allow these mediaeval beliefs to be held openly and the more we normalize certain rules and practices in the guide of "culture" then the more of a footing they will have.

It will get worse if anything. Not to compare the two but someone referenced the IRA. They had a goal. Therefore a negotiating point and and an ending to hostilities.

What's the goal of Islamic terrorism? To kill non believers and establish a global Caliphate. I don't see negotiation there.

So, no I don't see it ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

^^ Spot on, decades more of this ahead of us.

Mentally ill leftists will try and minimize it and normalize it - and with a straight face tell you that the KKK are more of a threat in the modern world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Yes, but it will be a few more years I should think. At least a decade, possibly more.
    But as others have said, something or someone else will take its place before very long, so terrorism will remain, it will just change colour or flavour the way it's always done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Everything comes to an end eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

They will go and be replaced by another group or groups, look at the lat 30 years or so;
    PLO
    Black September
    PFLP
    Abu Nidal
    Action Direct
    Red Brigades
    Red Army Faction
    PIRA
    Bader-Meinhoff

They had their time and they were overtaken by new terrorist groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Oh yeah it’s been a full 3 months since the last one so it must have died down.

I don’t think it’s going to die down anytime soon. I think they’ll possibly be lying low over winter and as soon as spring/summer come around again not attack’s will take place.

Oh yeah it’s been a full 3 months since the last one so it must have died down.

I don’t think it’s going to die down anytime soon. I think they’ll possibly be lying low over winter and as soon as spring/summer come around again not attack’s will take place.

It's Mohammed's birthday on 30 November so I imagine they're busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

With the amount of Christmas markets that'll be taking place all over Europe in the next month, an attack is inevitable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The Middle East won the Global Lotto having a pollutant underground that you just had to to pump, subject to a minor process and ship to the rest of the World where they actually produce things and then sit back and watch untold trillions of bucks come rolling in. They chose to use this once in a millenium largesse to enrich a tiny coterie of individuals, take reasonable care of an extended population, while keeping them out of the Golden Circle, and spend the rest exporting hatred, war and barbarity in some insane attempt to prove that their interpretation of the sayings of Muhammed are better than some other people's interpretation.

When the oil and the money runs out there are going to be an awful lot of people with a awful lot of guns facing a horrific future, feeling betrayed by the Golden Circle who will flee to the West thus proving to the remainder that it was all a Western plot to steal their riches.

Then watch what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

These two organisations may well go by the wayside but I'm sure there will be new ones to take their place.

PeterParker hits the nail on the head with his last couple of paragraphs above. There's no scope for negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I find the crown prince of Saudi Arabia to be an interesting man.
    Mohammed bin Salman recently gave an interview to the Guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/24/i-will-return-saudi-arabia-moderate-islam-crown-prince

He said:
    “What happened in the last 30 years is not Saudi Arabia. What happened in the region in the last 30 years is not the Middle East. After the Iranian revolution in 1979, people wanted to copy this model in different countries, one of them is Saudi Arabia. We didn’t know how to deal with it. And the problem spread all over the world. Now is the time to get rid of it.”

“We are simply reverting to what we followed – a moderate Islam open to the world and all religions. 70% of the Saudis are younger than 30, honestly we won’t waste 30 years of our life combating extremist thoughts, we will destroy them now and immediately.”

He also said Saudi Arabia can’t have economic transformation without having social transformation.
    Whether the light has been seen, we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Replaced by or mutated into something else, no doubt.

BTW Al Queda and ISIS are two different things.

Terrorism will never go away. It'll just be somebody else with some other agenda. It's either the IRA, or Basque Separatists, Islamic Extremists, or even domestic US terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭seenitall

Most societies and civilisations follow the same cyclical pattern over and over again: peace - small tensions/unrest/acts of terrorism - more tensions/wars/purges/revolutions/wholesale slaughterfest etc. - peace again! Til next time. Ideology, race or territory is used as reasoning for these cycles, but it is just down to human nature, really.

Some manage to skip the particularly nasty step in the cycle sometimes, and some go through these cycles so fast like it's going out of style compared to others. But the basic pattern is always there.

Oh, and European, oh so civilised, societies are not exempt from these cycles, never were and never will be. There is no end to history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

ISIS / Al Qaeda don't exist.

Chrongen wrote: »
    ISIS / Al Qaeda don't exist.

Insert laughing GIF here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Insert laughing GIF here.

Laugh all you want. They don't exist.

Chrongen wrote: »
    Laugh all you want. They don't exist.

Go on I'll bite - then who brought down the Towers ? Who has been waging jihad across Europe for a decade or more ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's probably worth mentioning that terrorist attacks by right wingers in the US since 9/11 have outnumbered islamic attacks. So it might be that something has already replaced it, just no-ones noticed because there's so much focus on islam because of 9/11.

Advertisement