Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quote?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

"**** em'"

-John Rambo

Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet

God looks at clean hands not full hands

The future lays before you like a blank sheet of snow, be careful how you thread on it as every mark will show

**** sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet

God looks at clean hands not full hands

The future lays before you like a blank sheet of snow, be careful how you thread on it as every mark will show

**** sticks

Quite true.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Tell me not to do something and I'll do it twice and take pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

One good quote I like is from John Carpenter's The Thing.
    Kurt Russell's character [MacReady] is cut from the guide line outside but some how manages to make it to the door despite it being a blizard. The others behind the door are unsure as to let him back in or let him freeze to death as they do not know if he is human or The Thing.

The character Windows says "What if we're wrong about him!?" (what if he is human and we are leaving him to his death) in which Keith Davids character replies with ".... then we're wrong ...."

You can live your life by that quote :p If you are unsure about someone or a situation, then don't put yourself out there to be bit in the ass. If you are wrong, you're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Every time I learn something new it pushes the old stuff out.

You were drunk!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Harry Callahan: When a naked man is chasing a woman through a dark alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross.

Unless you're Frank Drebbin and they're doing Shakespeare in the Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Life's a biatch and then you die!

I forgot another fave: Fall down seven times, get up eight. :)

Our Home Ec. Teacher in School drilled these 2 into us; - If it is to be, it's up to me to do it! And growth begins when blame ends. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭endacl

“Use the force, Luke”

-Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

"We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." - Vince Lombardi

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

rodders999 wrote: »
    The legend that is Mr. David Brent -

"Life is just a series of peaks and troughs, and you don't whether you're in a trough until you're climbing out, or on a peak until you're coming down. And that's it, you know, you never know what's round the corner. But it's all good. "If you want the rainbow you've got to put up with the rain". Do you know which "philosopher" said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits."

Another on attributed to Brent although I don't remember it in the show

“If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation. ”

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93WRQ8HT_WA

peep show

superhands;

"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people Jeremy."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

"I have the constitution of a concrete elephant".

"I want to be young and foolish. Then I want to be middle aged and rich. Then I want to get old and annoy people by pretending to be deaf".

E. Blackadder

"Stop saying that, Withnail. Of course he's the ****ing farmer".

- & I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything...

(No idea who said)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

arayess wrote: »
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - betrand russell

I think Yeats put it more eloquently in his poem The Second Coming:

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

Two of my favourite quotes are from Milton's Paradise Lost and are spoken by Satan:

"To reign is worth ambition, though in Hell
    Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven"

and

"The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.
    Heather Armbruster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭valoren

“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” ~ Anne Lamott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

"No good thing ever dies" at the end of Shawshank is a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Without the bad times you won't realise how good the good times are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

failure is not the opposite of success.

its only a failure if you don't learn something

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor"

"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Knowledge is power, France is bacon.

"Don't bring me your dish and explain what could be better. Give me your best every single time."

Said by a head chef to my other half. Chefs' are terrifying perfectionists, but I agree with the quote. If you make excuses for your efforts you already know what could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

When any of my kids had a fall id always say to them When soldiers fall they stand tall.

Now they ask me why i use to say that and i told them, Soldiers are brave and in battle if they fall thats when their bravey shines through so they stand tall just like you should when you fall......be brave be strong stand tall. Probably sounds cheesy but it worked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

alta stare wrote: »
    When any of my kids had a fall id always say to them When soldiers fall they stand tall.

Now they ask me why i use to say that and i told them, Soldiers are brave and in battle if they fall thats when their bravey shines through so they stand tall just like you should when you fall......be brave be strong stand tall. Probably sounds cheesy but it worked :D

My childhood friend's mother use to always say "united we stand, divided we fall" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

There's one that sticks in my mind from when I was observing a "disagreement" on Usenet.

Poster A had claimed that poster B was accusing him of hypocrisy.

Poster B's retort: "I'm not accusing you of hypocrisy. I doubt that you have the intellectual wattage for anything as advanced as hypocrisy. My theory is simply that you're a fcuking idiot."

If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything...

(No idea who said)

I think that might have been Al Pacino's character in Glengarry Glen Ross.

"Tell the truth...it's the easiest thing to remember."

• Advertisement

joe stodge wrote: »
    "I SHALL RETURN".

terminator 2

"I'll be back."

- Douglas McArthur

Advertisement