Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wedding Music (Band, DJ, Singer) ONE POST PER BAND ONLY! Read post #1 First!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ludite

Try them https://www.groovecollective.ie/. Might be booked already but what brilliant wedding band!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Hi folks

Getting married 6th oct 2018. Looking for bands- the only band we've loved is Til death do us party but they're booked already. Anyone have the names of similar bands?

Does anyone have any feedback on Men in Black or Perfect Day?

So sick of hearing I gotta a feeling on the promo videos!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

statina wrote: »
    Hi folks

Getting married 6th oct 2018. Looking for bands- the only band we've loved is Til death do us party but they're booked already. Anyone have the names of similar bands?

Does anyone have any feedback on Men in Black or Perfect Day?

So sick of hearing I gotta a feeling on the promo videos!!

Thanks

Went to a showcase last night for a band called the beat boutique. They were brilliant, check them out online, they've a good promo video. Men in Black I think have the same promoter as them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 juli123

good tipps in here, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Cheers for that, beat boutique are booked out unfortunately. Any other bands like them? My ears are bleeding at this point but think we've narrowed it down to Perfect Day, Men in Black and Ultrasound. Anyone any feedback on these bands? Going to see them alk over the next couple of weeks. Pressure is on as other couples are all interested in them on our date but dont want to book without seeing them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Hi we have it narrowed down to 3 bands for our wedding in Kerry? Any info on the following bands would be great!

Kasquire from Kerry?
    The Stars from Cork?
    Blush from Dublin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

conor05 wrote: »
    Hi we have it narrowed down to 3 bands for our wedding in Kerry? Any info on the following bands would be great!

Kasquire from Kerry?
    The Stars from Cork?
    Blush from Dublin?

Thanks

katsquire.

Wouldn't go wrong with any of them, all around a good while and all should keep floor hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

statina wrote: »
    Cheers for that, beat boutique are booked out unfortunately. Any other bands like them? My ears are bleeding at this point but think we've narrowed it down to Perfect Day, Men in Black and Ultrasound. Anyone any feedback on these bands? Going to see them alk over the next couple of weeks. Pressure is on as other couples are all interested in them on our date but dont want to book without seeing them!

I've seen Men in Black and they are a very professional outfit. Haven't seen the others. The Best Men are another great band. If you have a preference for a band they may do a refundable deposit pending you seeing them. We did it pending seeing the band live. Worked out well for us as it turned out there was another couple at the showcase with the same date as us. Can be competitive at times but your right to see them. We had our mind set on a different band and went to see them play and they were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

conor05 wrote: »
    Hi

We are looking for a band and dj for our wedding in Dingle Skelligs hotel in Kerry on 3rd August 2018.
    Want the dancefloor full, good interaction with band and good mix of oldies and all the modern tunes. Love Luke Kelly too.

We have tried big generator, j90, panic animals and all booked out.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks

Depends how old you mean when you say oldies, but Pop Gods might be suitable. They do 80s/90s/00s music and one hell of a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

So now that the dust has settled I wanted to write a review of the musicians we had at our wedding.

After the venue, the most important thing for us was the band. We're both music lovers, and to be frank, we thought that most of the wedding bands we looked at were shite.
    In the end, we booked a band called The Vinyls, or at least that's their wedding band "alter ego". They also go by the name Revolver and play a lot of rock stuff (which is what we wanted). I think they created the alter ego in case people thought they could only do the heavy stuff, but they actually do a great job of playing more traditional wedding music too.
    With a crowd of just over 70, several of whom were in their 80s, we thought it inevitable that there'd be periods where there'd be nobody on the floor, but the band had people dancing all night long. They did a great job of playing something for everyone. Elvis, Tina Turner, Van Morrisson, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Rage Against the Machine, Beastie Boys, Queens of the Stone Age, Killers - they can do it all! Everyone was telling us how good they thought the band was, including some friends who are musicians themselves.

For DJ we went with "Alternative Wedding DJ" Ian Barrett, who also did a great job. I created a large playlist of songs which he mostly drew from, adding some of is own which fitted in with our taste. The DJ's job might sound easy, but we know someone who also gave their DJ a playlist and he decided that he obviously knew better and spent most of the night playing crap that nobody liked, so it just goes to show how wrong it can go.
    When he played the song we asked him to play as the final song, it turned that nobody really knew it so we were left on the floor on our own. Luckily Ian had the gumption to play a couple more bangin' tunes to end the night on a high.

Finally, the last thing we had to book was somebody for the ceremony and drinks reception. We went through a few people who were unavailable before finally finding Eamonn O' Connor. We only booked him a couple of weeks before the wedding (we only booked the wedding 8 weeks before the date) and didn't have a chance to see him play, so we were a little nervous about whether he'd be good or not. But it turned out that he was even better than we could have hoped! The song we chose to walk out to was All I want is you and to our surprise and delight he was even able to do the harmonica part. He also did a Ryan Adams song for us that sounded almost like Ryan himself. We never got a chance to tell him what kind of music we'd like for the drinks reception, but everything he performed was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Wedding in Cork, August 25th 2018 looking for a 3 or 4/5 piece band(small enough dance area), and a DJ depending on price. Please pm me if you have any availability. Hoping for a bit of a rock band with Oasis/black keys/U2 and the more traditional wedding songs to keep the crowd entertained. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I wouldn't normally go out of my way to recommend a service/person/band, but we were so happy with our band that I couldn't not recommend them here.

We had a Galway band called More Cowbell. From the first time I spoke to Pa (in an awful panic because another band we had hoped to go with didn't meet our expectations), till he was packing up after the DJ set, he was a pleasure to deal with and worked with us for what we wanted from the night. Including doing his own paired back version of our first dance as we wanted our young toddler to be part of our first dance and we didn't want to scare her with too loud of music. We had a small wedding and Pa and the rest of the lads kept the floor full the whole night. They played a great mixture of everything, and even the mother was impressed with them for their waltz/jives etc.
    Pa did the DJ for us after the band, and kept people on the floor the whole time, even after the crowd started to head off home.
    For both the band and DJ sets, they kept the dance floor busy without badgering guests to get out on the floor, which was a very specific request of mine (I hate when the band hounds guests) and they most definitely succeeded!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

Looking for church music for October in Wexford. I’d really prefer a male singer and we’re really not into very formal sounding singers if that makes sense. Any recommendations welcome!

Wellyd wrote: »
    Looking for church music for October in Wexford. I’d really prefer a male singer and we’re really not into very formal sounding singers if that makes sense. Any recommendations welcome!

We originally had a guy called David Clarke earmarked to do our ceremony. Just by chance we saw him performing in a hotel bar and he had an absolutely amazing voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GkbD44SfpE

Turned out David was already booked for our date though. In the end we found a guy called Eamonn O'Connor at short notice. It worked out great though as he was really excellent and learned several songs for our ceremony at only a week's notice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foN-GyGUO6E https://www.facebook.com/Eamonn-OConnor-108994186288/

Not sure what style you're after, but if it's singer/songwriter with a guitar then I'd highly recommend either of the above two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

We originally had a guy called David Clarke earmarked to do our ceremony. Just by chance we saw him performing in a hotel bar and he had an absolutely amazing voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GkbD44SfpE

Turned out David was already booked for our date though. In the end we found a guy called Eamonn O'Connor at short notice. It worked out great though as he was really excellent and learned several songs for our ceremony at only a week's notice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foN-GyGUO6E https://www.facebook.com/Eamonn-OConnor-108994186288/

Not sure what style you're after, but if it's singer/songwriter with a guitar then I'd highly recommend either of the above two.

I didn’t know Dave Clarke did weddings! I’ve always loved him. You wouldn’t have an email address or anything that you could pm me by any chance?

Wellyd wrote: »
    I didn’t know Dave Clarke did weddings! I’ve always loved him. You wouldn’t have an email address or anything that you could pm me by any chance?

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey,

Has anyone had the Dionnes play for their Wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

Has anyone had the Best Men play for them? Going to see them in the next few weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭pooch90

mickey15ie wrote: »
    Has anyone had the Best Men play for them? Going to see them in the next few weekends.

Yes, we did. And the kooky ukes for drinks reception.
    They were lovely guys, super professional and great musicians. Read the crowd well and had every age group up dancing most of the night.
    I know I'm biased but I have only seen one or 2 bands come close to them at any wedding we've attended. Also, the dj that came with them was very good. Read the room and didn't just stick to a play list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

We're getting Married in Mount Druid (Westmeath) in June 2019.
    We've already booked the DJ to do an extended session (10PM start rather than 12).
    I'm looking for a trad band to play from 8PM-10PM. Most of the trad bands on the regular sites seem to be charging €800 upwards.

Does anyone have any recommendations for trad bands in the midlands that wouldn't break the bank?

A 3 or 4 piece band would be ideal.

I'd be looking for something along the lines of the pogues or even bluegrass, rather than a ballad group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

We're getting Married in Mount Druid (Westmeath) in June 2019.
    We've already booked the DJ to do an extended session (10PM start rather than 12).
    I'm looking for a trad band to play from 8PM-10PM. Most of the trad bands on the regular sites seem to be charging €800 upwards.

Does anyone have any recommendations for trad bands in the midlands that wouldn't break the bank?

A 3 or 4 piece band would be ideal.

I'd be looking for something along the lines of the pogues or even bluegrass, rather than a ballad group.

Strongly suggest you get a one man band that does trad here, if 800 is outside your budget youre realistically not going to get more than a one man knowing going rates for musicians at a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone have any suggestions for church singers? Wedding is in west Tipperary so Tipperary or Limerick area preferably

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Having our wedding in the next 6 months in Dublin, looking for a good church singer(s). Possibly someone aswell who will double up for reception music also back at hotel.

We are having a small wedding of 25 people

Any ideas would be really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LeSponge

pooch90 wrote: »
    but I have only seen one or 2 bands come close to them at any wedding we've attended.

Who were these one or two bands? I think the best men are gone already for our date :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭pooch90

Couldn't tell ya! I remember the Bentley Boys were good but wouldn't have been our style.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭axcel

Any recent feedback on Blacktye much appreciated? Looking for similar band as Till Death do us Party as they're booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Anyone any suggestions of bands that will play rock all night and no popular music? We're only into metal, so don't want chart music at all. The floor always comes alive for Brian Adams, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi anyway, so we're hoping for that type of music all night (don't know if Heavier stuff would go down as well haha).

I know of Rock of Ages, The Glitterbugs, Converse All Stars. Some aren't available, some aren't our style.

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Anyone any suggestions of bands that will play rock all night and no popular music? We're only into metal, so don't want chart music at all. The floor always comes alive for Brian Adams, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi anyway, so we're hoping for that type of music all night (don't know if Heavier stuff would go down as well haha).

I know of Rock of Ages, The Glitterbugs, Converse All Stars. Some aren't available, some aren't our style.

Check out the Vinyls. Their promo video is tailored towards more standard wedding stuff, but rock is very much their forte. At our wedding they played stuff from Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, AC/DC, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters, White Stripes and Queens of the Stone Age. They also go by the name Revolver I think, and they're great musicians.

http://www.thevinyls.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

www.twistedninja.ie can do this for you. PM me or email via the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The Harleys should be your first choice! They are incredible - they play the Mezz every Wednesday at midnight and rock the holy f*ck out of the place.

Advertisement