Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Wedding Music (Band, DJ, Singer) ONE POST PER BAND ONLY! Read post #1 First!

14849505254

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1 potatovermin


    Has anyone booked or seen The Hitmen Trio at a wedding since they changed their percussionist this year? We went to see them at a pub showcase and they were a little flat, I'm wondering is this down to the venue and if they play better at actual weddings?


  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ hotmatottie10


    Looking for a DJ for a wedding in Aug 2017 (East Cork Area), problem is we dont want your typical wedding DJ, but more along the lines of a Kelly Anne Byrne style to offer a relaxed, disco, 70's, 80's music, etc atmosphere to the night, treating the night as a party rather than a wedding, any suggestions will be welcome. Undecided to even have a band as well. 170 guests in attendance.
    Try Ian Richards, He plays in the slate pub and he does a great setlist all vinyl. He is worth a google.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Bargain Blake


    Looking for a DJ for a wedding in Aug 2017 (East Cork Area), problem is we dont want your typical wedding DJ, but more along the lines of a Kelly Anne Byrne style to offer a relaxed, disco, 70's, 80's music, etc atmosphere to the night, treating the night as a party rather than a wedding, any suggestions will be welcome. Undecided to even have a band as well. 170 guests in attendance.



    http://onefabday.com/ie/weddingbook/alternative-wedding-dj/


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭ bazwraf


    Hi All,

    Looking for a wedding band for March 2nd 2018 in Meath. Ideally, the band can provide a dj too.

    My preference would be to be able to see the band do a showcase in the next month or so.
    I've been in touch with two bands so far, and the prices range greatly from €1900 to almost €4000.
    We'd love to keep it under €2000 if possible.

    Any recommendations? We're just looking for generic wedding music. We want the floor full all night, with a band who can read the crowd and react. Neither of us have a unique taste that we want catered for. We'd prefer the crowd to enjoy themselves. Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭ pconn062


    bazwraf wrote: »
    Hi All,

    Looking for a wedding band for March 2nd 2018 in Meath. Ideally, the band can provide a dj too.

    My preference would be to be able to see the band do a showcase in the next month or so.
    I've been in touch with two bands so far, and the prices range greatly from €1900 to almost €4000.
    We'd love to keep it under €2000 if possible.

    Any recommendations? We're just looking for generic wedding music. We want the floor full all night, with a band who can read the crowd and react. Neither of us have a unique taste that we want catered for. We'd prefer the crowd to enjoy themselves. Thanks

    Hi there,

    Check out Long Time Coming. Right in your price range and several showcases within the next few months. Based in Louth as well.

    http://www.longtimecoming.ie/

    PM if you would like more info.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭ bazwraf


    pconn062 wrote: »
    Hi there,

    Check out Long Time Coming. Right in your price range and several showcases within the next few months. Based in Louth as well.

    http://www.longtimecoming.ie/

    PM if you would like more info.

    Thanks for getting back to me. We're actually just after booking a band, so we're good now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ Innervision


    Hi guys, hoping someone might be able to help here, we saw J90 play at a friend's wedding a while ago and thought they were amazing and exactly what we were looking for but unfortunately they're booked on our date (31st Aug 2018) :(

    If anyone knows of any bands similar to J90 that we could try I'd be delighted! We loved the fact that they played plenty of 90s/00s but still catered for the older crowd as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭ unclebill98


    Hi guys, hoping someone might be able to help here, we saw J90 play at a friend's wedding a while ago and thought they were amazing and exactly what we were looking for but unfortunately they're booked on our date (31st Aug 2018) :(

    If anyone knows of any bands similar to J90 that we could try I'd be delighted! We loved the fact that they played plenty of 90s/00s but still catered for the older crowd as well.

    Howdy,

    If your looking at that type of band then Gorilla Radio would be an alternative.


  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ Innervision


    Howdy,

    If your looking at that type of band then Gorilla Radio would be an alternative.

    Thanks, I'll check them out!


  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ orlabobs


    Hi I'm looking for a great band for June next year for Mayo. Not looking for any specific genre - just good lively music playing hits from the 80s until now. Get people dancing.
    Ideally a band that includes a DJ and isn't too expensive.

    Suggestions?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭ Wellyd


    Hi guys really struggling with sorting a band. The only band I've liked j90 aren't available on the day. Those wedding showcase promos on YouTube just aren't doing them any justice and I havent had a chance to get to any of the showcases in the last month. Our wedding is in Wexford on October 27th 2018 if anyone has any suggestions.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭ pconn062


    Wellyd wrote: »
    Hi guys really struggling with sorting a band. The only band I've liked j90 aren't available on the day. Those wedding showcase promos on YouTube just aren't doing them any justice and I havent had a chance to get to any of the showcases in the last month. Our wedding is in Wexford on October 27th 2018 if anyone has any suggestions.

    You still have loads of time, if the showcase videos aren't doing it for you then you should try and organise to get to a few showcases over the next few months. If you come across a band you like it might be worth contacting them to see if they are doing any public gigs near you that you could go to.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ justme1986


    Hey everyone,

    Wedding booked for July 27th 2018 and devastated our first choice Blue Moose aren't available. Does anyone know of a similar type of style band that would come recommended? TIA!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭ Wellyd


    justme1986 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

    Wedding booked for July 27th 2018 and devastated our first choice Blue Moose aren't available. Does anyone know of a similar type of style band that would come recommended? TIA!

    Do you mind if I ask were you long waiting to hear back from them?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭ Wellyd


    Has anyone here saw Vertigo wedding band? Our first choices of Blue Moose and j90 are booked so we're looking for someone with a similar sound that would preferably learn a first dance song!


  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ justme1986


    Wellyd wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask were you long waiting to hear back from them?

    They got back really quickly actually..within a day or two I think!


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 ✭✭✭ intune


    rockface wrote: »
    Guys, just a quick word of advice to those getting married - and booking a band in particular.

    There's a particular website that's warning people of the risk of being "duped" if they book a wedding band who's not one of their members. They're making out that there are "rogue traders" in the industry, and basically fear mongering in order to get people to come to their site. It's an absolute disgrace, they are still operating under this façade, and people are believing it.

    It's essentially a tax on wedding bands, and hard working musicians who are criss-crossing the country night after night...

    Never mind them. Look, if you're booking a wedding band, ask to go and see a few of them play live...

    ....all these awards, associations, 5 star testimonials, "wedding band of the year 2015", "wedding band voted most likely to succeed in the winter Olympics" - they're all makey uppey up crap just to promote the website that's running them.
    None of it's real.

    AMEN to that! And thank you for pointing that out so clearly! 100% true. I know exactly who you are talking about. This is such a scam and taking money from musicians where there is no need to whatsoever.

    I wouldn't have seen this but only just returned to this thread after receiving a private message asking me about https://www.groovecollective.ie/. Example of a great wedding band that I would definitely recommend highly to couples! Did sound for them in the past and WOW!

    I've done sound for bands for many years and have seen a lot of them to be able to judge at least a bit about quality and professionalism. Some bands out there are unreal because they care. A lot unfortunately really don't. And all claim they are the best band. Tiring. I am based in Cork but as so many musicians and engineers also travel all over Ireland for work. As "rockface" put it "criss-crossing the country". GC are one example of a really good Cork band. And YES! Finding the right band for you can be tricky but try to avoid false promises or (again as rockface put perfectly) fear mongering that a band has to be member of some sort of association or whatever. What a band must do is to care about your needs on your wedding day and do it really well. That is what you are paying them for.

    And while I am at it...something else: Beware of bands that have different members at almost every gig. Basically pieced together. There can be some serious problems when the band consists of musicians that have barely met each other before.


  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ danmanw8


    intune wrote: »

    https://www.groovecollective.ie/. Example of a great wedding band that I would definitely recommend highly to couples! Did sound for them in the past and WOW!

    I've done sound for bands for many years and have seen a lot of them to be able to judge at least a bit about quality and professionalism. Some bands out there are unreal because they care. A lot unfortunately really don't. And all claim they are the best band. Tiring. I am based in Cork but as so many musicians and engineers also travel all over Ireland for work. As "rockface" put it "criss-crossing the country". GC are one example of a really good Cork band. And YES! Finding the right band for you can be tricky but try to avoid false promises or (again as rockface put perfectly) fear mongering that a band has to be member of some sort of association or whatever...

    Very true! I am not a musician or engineer but saw them playing live before. Incredible band!


  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Dani Adelante


    We're getting married in Donegal on July 6th, 2018, and are looking at bands right now.

    For the most part, I can't stand 80's music or Irish Country, which seem to be a staple of a load of wedding bands here.  We're looking for 90's, 2000's, 2010's - basically anything that was popular in the last 25 years - Top 40, indie, dance rock, hip-hop, all from about 1990 to 2017.  We saw an English band - The Salvation - and they would be right up our street.  Also liked the look of PopLife from Ireland.  And just saw some J90 videos after reading through this thread - they look very good too.

    Any recommendations for that style of wedding band?

    Thanks! :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭ Romantic Rose


    We're getting married in Donegal on July 6th, 2018, and are looking at bands right now.

    For the most part, I can't stand 80's music or Irish Country, which seem to be a staple of a load of wedding bands here.  We're looking for 90's, 2000's, 2010's - basically anything that was popular in the last 25 years - Top 40, indie, dance rock, hip-hop, all from about 1990 to 2017.  We saw an English band - The Salvation - and they would be right up our street.  Also liked the look of PopLife from Ireland.  And just saw some J90 videos after reading through this thread - they look very good too.

    Any recommendations for that style of wedding band?

    Thanks! :)

    Try Mr.Men, they're easy going and will play what you want.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ Bannergal


    Hi

    I'm in the Munster Area & really struggling to get a band for March 2018
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    I've a small enough crowd so want a band that will get the place up on the floor for the night

    I've tried the following & they are booked out
    Free Beer
    Elastic Band
    Blue Moose
    Hot Fuss
    Big Generator

    Thank you


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭ RocketRaccoon


    Bannergal wrote: »
    Hi

    I'm in the Munster Area & really struggling to get a band for March 2018
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    I've a small enough crowd so want a band that will get the place up on the floor for the night

    I've tried the following & they are booked out
    Free Beer
    Elastic Band
    Blue Moose
    Hot Fuss
    Big Generator

    Thank you

    Have you tried Switch?


  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ Bannergal


    They play in a lot of the bars around the area so wanted to avoid that type of band, just wanted something that bit extra special for the big day


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭ RocketRaccoon


    Bannergal wrote: »
    They play in a lot of the bars around the area so wanted to avoid that type of band, just wanted something that bit extra special for the big day

    I get what you're saying but they are perfect for what you want. Btw i am not affiliated with them whatsoever in case you think I am.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭ unclebill98


    Bannergal wrote: »
    They play in a lot of the bars around the area so wanted to avoid that type of band, just wanted something that bit extra special for the big day

    Gorilla Radio


  • Registered Users Posts: 45 ✭✭✭ cristali


    Hi, so we booked our venue for february 2018 and everything else except the band and/or Dj. Really need help with that, I have no idea where to start, I followed this thread for the last few days and listened to a few bands on their websites but still need a few more suggestions. Our budget is around 1000 stretched to 1500 of you have any suggestions around this price range please let me know. We would want a small band 2-3 piece max ( small stage and around 70 guests) followed by Dj. Two people of 2 different nationalities get married so obviously some of the guest wouldn't know 60's 70's Irish music.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 The NightMan Cometh


    Hey Guys, looking for a reasonably priced band + Dj duo for 23rd March 2018. Wedding venue is in Co. Clare. Budget would be 1000-1500. 3 or 4 Piece would be preferable 80's - 90's music. The Boss, Ac/Dc, Dire Straits, Blur, etc. Thanks for any replies.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭ Ivefoundgod


    Hi all

    Just looking for recommendations for bands for the south east area. Our budget is 1k-1500 though we could stretch a little more if it was worth it. We have no specific style or era we'd prefer so open to anything. Thanks!


  • Registered Users Posts: 4 korgplayer


    Ivefoundgod,
    Take a look at The Nighthawks Band, who play a mix of most genres, and also do trad. Do DJ for them on occasion. Might or might not be of interest.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭ conor05


    Hi

    We are looking for a band and dj for our wedding in Dingle Skelligs hotel in Kerry on 3rd August 2018.
    Want the dancefloor full, good interaction with band and good mix of oldies and all the modern tunes. Love Luke Kelly too.

    We have tried big generator, j90, panic animals and all booked out.

    Any further suggestions?

    Thanks


Advertisement