Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TW2017

It’s now the 20th, still no email, hopefully it will come in around 7-9ish this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

TW2017 wrote: »
    It’s now the 20th, still no email, hopefully it will come in around 7-9ish this morning.
    My experience with the Deliotte part of the process is that when they promise to send an email on the day its usually between 09:00-11:00, rather than at exactly midnight. Give it a few hours yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Haha yea I highly doubt that. They won't start work until 9am. Emails can go out at any time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 r896neo

I would advise everyone to try and relax a bit. This can be a very long and torturous process and if your already stressing out because it's one minute past midnight on the date given and your link is still not here you are going to go total barmy by the end of the recruitment process.

Good luck to all doing the IST.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Don’t post too often but today is the day, good luck everyone and may the odds be ever in your favour XD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

I wonder when they will send out emails, might not be until later,
    If i could give advise is to eat before you do it and have a good bit of caffeine in you to ensure youre locked in and focused to the max,it will increase your reading time and efficiency, also black out the room and wndows you are doing it in, ive had experiences in doing exam conditions like this and it really help you focus and brings out you maximum potential of your reading, problem solving skills and reading speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Be hydrated and have a wee before you start. Lol

Do we have a week to do this?

KN1231999 wrote: »
    I wonder when they will send out emails, might not be until later,
    If i could give advise is to eat before you do it and have a good bit of caffeine in you to ensure youre locked in and focused to the max,it will increase your reading time and efficiency, also black out the room and wndows you are doing it in, ive had experiences in doing exam conditions like this and it really help you focus and brings out you maximum potential of your reading, problem solving skills and reading speed

Agreed! Also, kinda common sense, but make sure you have a free house or at least ask the fam to stay in another room and keep the noise down for a while, obviously not in a rude way but they will understand that this is important. And yes, have some food and a cup of tea/coffee beforehand and relax before starting and have one, if not two, bottles of water beside you! You do not want to be getting up to get a drink and wasting valuable time

Also, is the test timed, or does your time count towards anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 armchairrunner

Best of luck to you all genuinely hope everyone here succeeds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

TEst is more than likely timed don’t think you score better for how quick you complete it. No one knows exactly as this is the new tests.

Make sure you do a couple of warm ups before you do it.

Do a couple of warm up sets of questions. Go away have a bit to eat, (a smoke if you smoke), some water, go to he toilet then sit down and crack on

Also, is the test timed, or does your time count towards anything?

It may do. If the tests are psychometric alongside being a normal test then the speed you answer questions will adjust score.

Also used to find cheats if you are answering questions far faster than the control group average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

The time you do it in wont count, only thing that counts is How many you get correct, whether it is completed or not.

BTW,anyone get an email yet?

Goonerdee wrote: »
    The time you do it in wont count, only thing that counts is How many you get correct, whether it is completed or not.

None of us can know that... This may not just be an electronic version of the old tests...

The guidance says that the SJTs part will be choose best and worst outcome.

I highly doubt there will be right and wrong answers. I imagine the scoring will work on a tiered basis. The correct answer for right and wrong giving 4 points or something like that then the other answers tiered. Next right answer scores 3 so on so forth.

But that's just speculation.

Obs for TFCT there will be right and wrong answers

The only thing I can see on the PSNI website is that ISTs not fully completed will not be progressed. So, it looks like if you are down to your last minute and nowhere near the end, just guess an answer and hope for the best.

You have 90 minutes to complete the test, from mentioned before in the thread, the speed you answer the questions is only used after the vetting stage to choose who goes to GV first (prove me wrong if i recall incorrectly). Better to take a little longer to ensure the answer is correct rather than blasting through them all hoping to just get the fastest time and probably the most wrong

• Advertisement

With SJTs the general common guidance and advice is go with the answer that feels right to.

I. E. Don't 2nd guess yourself

None of us can know that... This may not just be an electronic version of the old tests...

Personally I doubt they will make it more complicated than it needs be. They will have a figure in their heads of how many should progress through to the next stage and they will pick a number of correct answers close enough to achieve that figure. Hopefully the email will give more detail.

Personally I doubt they will make it more complicated than it needs be. They will have a figure in their heads of how many should progress through to the next stage and they will pick a number of correct answers close enough to achieve that figure. Hopefully the email will give more detail.

It'll not be complicated for us if they decide to do it in any way as we are just the end user.

They present a problem to us and we have to solve it.

In order to rank people appropriately I do think the tiered scoring will exist for SJTs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Lockie101 wrote: »
    You have 90 minutes to complete the test, from mentioned before in the thread, the speed you answer the questions is only used after the vetting stage to choose who goes to GV first (prove me wrong if i recall incorrectly). Better to take a little longer to ensure the answer is correct rather than blasting through them all hoping to just get the fastest time and probably the most wrong

90 minutes was for initial application. Where does it specify IST limit?

Lockie101 wrote: »

Generally the ranking discussion was about the old IST.

It was said somewhere on the website about 90 minutes for the IST also, yeah I know none of us really know what way the ranking or points will work.... just do your best and what comes will come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

I don’t know where the 90mins is coming from unless there is far more questions than previously thought. I’m going on a 12minutes for the verbal reasoning and 20 approx for the other section. I also think you can do one section in one sitting and the other in another sitting.
    Correct answer is no one knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

No emails :( looking like it's a no

• Advertisement

12 mins and 20 seems very limited.

A Civil service test I did last month gave 40 mins for VRT with 15 questions

And an hour for SJTS with 20 questions...

Advertisement