Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A study found that the overall odds of waking up during surgery is about one in 19,600. In Ireland in 2011 there were 8 cases reported of people waking up during anesthesia.
    http://www.nationalauditprojects.org.uk/NAP5report - full study for those who are nervous about anesthesia.

On a similar theme, red heads are less reactive to anaesthetic. So they need more of it to get knocked out.
    I'd be interested to know the hair colour of the 8 people who woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

On a similar theme, red heads are less reactive to anaesthetic. So they need more of it to get knocked out.

As a redhead, I discovered this was a thing the first time I had a root canal. It was torture and a friend sent me a link about redheads and anaesthetiic afterwards which explained a lot. I'd had a minor surgery a few years before and felt every bit of it, but I put that down to an incompetent doctor.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/06/the-pain-of-being-a-redhead/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I'm a Ginge and never knew this......explains a lot though when I go to Dentist! you'd think they should know

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think I may be a red-head in disguise - my dentist always shakes her head when she has to use a second, and sometimes a third, vial of anaesthetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

stimpson wrote: »
    I remember being in Holland in the 90's and there was a big clock in each station and the train would come to a stop as the second hand hit 12, so apparently it's not that hard to do (except here)

Similarly, I lived in Zurich for a while and once a local commuter train was twenty minutes late and it made the news.

If it was Ireland, if a train was twenty minutes late the driver would probably get a photo with the Taoiseach and a ticker-tape parade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Similarly, I lived in Zurich for a while and once a local commuter train was twenty minutes late and it made the news.

If it was Ireland, if a train was twenty minutes late the driver would probably get a photo with the Taoiseach and a ticker-tape parade.

I used to work with a Swiss lad and he had a hard time adjusting to the laid back attitude here. Having said all that, I wouldn’t swap Swiss efficiency for our way of life as he was a big of a dry shite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Candie wrote: »
    Neil Armstrongs space suit was made by a company best known for making bras.

The International Latex Company's original spacesuit design was a disaster and roundly rejected by NASA, but a rogue group of that company's designers worked non stop for weeks and presented NASA with a revised design, which then went into production.

The International Latex Companys best known subsidiary was called Playtex - a major manufacturer of womens underwear, their most successful product was called The Cross Your Heart Bra which was launched in 1954 and is still sold today.
    yep and their very best seamstresses were tasked with sewing the suits together. Internally they used the acronym "LOL" made, "little old ladies". As they were mostly craftswomen at the very top of their game and the most experienced. The astronauts who the met regularly were in awe of their skills and dexterity.

Some of the computer systems on the Apollo used rope memory which was also "knitted".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

On this topic, I remember reading about some spacesuits found in a second hand shop.
    Found the story there https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/spacesuits-thrift-store

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The word "CLUE" goes back to the 1590s. It was a spelling variant of "clew", i.e. "a ball of thread or yarn", which made reference to the one Ariadne gave Theseus to use as a guide out of the Labyrinth in Knossos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A fully equipped spacesuit is really a one-person spacecraft.

www.nasa.gov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

368100 wrote: »
    I'm a Ginge .....

Are you the real ALF?:D

I used to love your show!

Are you the real ALF?:D

I used to love your show!

I'm not as good looking as him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

368100 wrote: »
    I'm not as good looking as him

He was a handsome divil alright.

But I always did have a thing for redheads, and hooky noses strangely enough - not a full on gonzo now, just a slight sexy one, you know like Gillian Anderson or Alf:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Lads, read the first few pages of this thread.
    That's the kind of interesting fact we're looking for.
    The last few pages here reminds me of the time I tried to read Ulysses. Me heads melting.
    Maybe a new thread for all the space/time stuff.
    For those interested, ye could open a thread in Physics and Chemistry and I'd be happy to continue.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Lorelli! wrote: »

the cast of friends must have well passed that record out by now its always feckin on

A friend told me earlier that the word drag - as in drag artist - comes from Shakespearian direction, when the leading lady would be played by a boy or young man since acting was considered a rather racy profession for a young lady to enter, little better than prostitution.

The chap would be given his lines and the direction to be dressed as a girl - or in drag.

It's probably only news to me, but I'm surprised it's not something that was mentioned by any English teacher I had over the years. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

the cast of friends must have well passed that record out by now its always feckin on

:D maybe they're in with a shout!

70,000 hours so almost 8 full years :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A friend told me earlier that the word drag - as in drag artist - comes from Shakespearian direction, when the leading lady would be played by a boy or young man since acting was considered a rather racy profession for a young lady to enter, little better than prostitution.

The chap would be given his lines and the direction to be dressed as a girl - or in drag.

It's probably only news to me, but I'm surprised it's not something that was mentioned by any English teacher I had over the years. :)

The actual stage instruction was 'Dressed Resembling A Girl' which is closer the mark.

He was a handsome divil alright.

But I always did have a thing for redheads, and hooky noses strangely enough - not a full on gonzo now, just a slight sexy one, you know like Gillian Anderson or Alf:D:D

Alf and gillian......sure they could be brother and sister :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Then finally 11,703 years before 2000 AD the climate flipped back into a warmer mode where it has remained ever since."

Personally I like to imagine it would have ended during the warmest part of the day.

So the ice age ended some time around 3pm on July the 19th 9,704 BC

No Dougal, they can't be that precise about the ice age!
    Actually thinking about it , the Ice Age would have ended at the point where the ice stopped increasing. Which would have been when sun light started warming it.

So the ice age ended at 4:21 am on July the 19th 9,704 BC

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in the day the tax on alcohol made drink very expensive.

So people took to imbibing ether instead.

Also as this wasn't alcohol you weren't breaking the pledge.

And it didn't give you hangovers.

Trick one was to burp ASAP. You see ether boils at a very low temperature and the pressure builds up something fierce in the warmth of your stomach.

Trick two was not to burp facing an open flame. :eek:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-compass-pleasure/201106/the-irish-ether-drinking-craze-0
    https://www.herald.ie/entertainment/drink-the-rise-and-fall-of-ether-27890549.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A pair of binoculars can be used as a primitive microscope by reversing it and looking through one objective lens (the big one) and getting the item to be viewed close to the eyepiece lens. The field of view is small but the detail can be amazing. Better than a magnifying glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Carol Hersee or BBC Test Card girl is the most aired face in British television history appearing for several hours a day every day for over 30 years.

Speaking of which, the China girls were the ladies who posed for the first frames of a film reel. Their image would be used by the lab technician to calibrate colours when developing the film.
    Because they weren't intended to be seen by the public, some of these ladies look grumpy, they're not really posing as for a magazine shoot. They often wear bright colours (sometimes the same outfit with Kodak) or pose beside colours. Some are familiar faces (ie actresses), some are unknown.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-forgotten-china-girls-hidden-at-the-beginning-of-old-films

Just the video if you don't have time for the article. https://youtu.be/-nVBDX3P5TY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Actually thinking about it , the Ice Age would have ended at the point where the ice stopped increasing. Which would have been when sun light started warming it.

So the ice age ended at 4:21 am on July the 19th 9,704 BC

I bet you didn’t know that the last ice age hasn’t in fact ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Most of "some old word is actually an acronym" are apocryphal and have no basis is etymological history, so take them with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Most of "some old word is actually an acronym" are apocryphal and have no basis is etymological history, so take them with a pinch of salt.

Which reminds me that salt comes from the very very old acronym for 'Stuff Adds Lotsa Taste'. *

*May or may not be true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yep. Wiki says the term "drag" appeared in print "as early as 1870", which means it's highly unlikely to be Shakespearean, given that was 250+ years earlier

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(clothing)

According to etymonline.com,

"drag (n.)
    c. 1300, "dragnet," perhaps from a Scandinavian source (compare Swedish dragg "grapnel") or from Old English dræge "dragnet," related to dragan "to draw" (see drag (v.)).

Sense of "annoying, boring person or thing" is 1813, perhaps from the notion of something that must be dragged as an impediment. Sense of "women's clothing worn by a man" is said to be 1870 theater slang, from the sensation of long skirts trailing on the floor (another guess is Yiddish trogn "to wear," from German tragen); drag queen is from 1941"

I preferred the Shakespearian theory, though. :)

• Advertisement

Acronyms for their own sake can be scary

Look at the BRICKS countries
    Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa
    http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/archive/building-better.html
    There was an influential report and later on the countries formed a group.

Nigeria should have been included but the N didn't fit the acronym.
    So missed out on lots of investment and news items

But hey, catchy name.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement