Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

The Islamic religion forbids the keeping of animals for companionship/Pets. Only acceptable to be kept for work or protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Thought Car was Glustáin

I seem to remember using it at a much later stage in school, but from an early stage we used carr.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thought Car was Glustáin

Gluaisteán.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

the Irish word for plane is eitleán, and I always wondered if it had any link to the word 'echelon', as in 'the upper echelons of society'... echelon being a French word meaning a rung on a ladder, which refers to climbing upwards.

It's a derivative of the Irish verb for 'fly'; eitilt

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thought Car was Glust
    Which basically translates as "fast thing"(EG Dublin Luas = fast). "Car" has a much older origin and a "Celtic" one at that, as Ipso points out. Another one(which I think I mentioned earlier), the word "Clock" comes from the old Irish for "Bell", as in the bells that rang out the important religious times throughout the day. The Irish Round Tower, a postcard famous image of Ireland were named at the time "house of the bell"(can't recall the Irish word :o), because they rang out the times of the day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Luas = speed

Gluaisteán translates more to a "motor" as in a motor vehicle (country guards would love that)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

GMSA wrote: »
    The Islamic religion forbids the keeping of animals for companionship/Pets. Only acceptable to be kept for work or protection.

You can marry an 8 year old, or blow up a shopping centre - but you can't keep a goldfish.

Yup, makes perfect sense:D

Wibbs wrote: »
    Which basically translates as "fast thing"(EG Dublin Luas = fast). "Car" has a much older origin and a "Celtic" one at that, as Ipso points out. Another one(which I think I mentioned earlier), the word "Clock" comes from the old Irish for "Bell", as in the bells that rang out the important religious times throughout the day. The Irish Round Tower, a postcard famous image of Ireland were named at the time "house of the bell"(can't recall the Irish word :o), because they rang out the times of the day.

Cloigtheach which literally translates as Bell House.

Interestingly, there was a name for the part of the Bell House that contains the bell...clog deireadh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

It's a derivative of the Irish verb for 'fly'; eitilt

so the similarity to 'echelon' is purely coincidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

You can marry an 8 year old, or blow up a shopping centre - but you can't keep a goldfish.

What if it's an attack goldfish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Luas = speed

Gluaisteán translates more to a "motor" as in a motor vehicle (country guards would love that)
    'Gluaisteán' surely comes from 'gluas' or 'gluaiseacht' 'to move'. In primary school, we were taught 'carr' (maybe to help us little kids) but later on it was usually changed to 'gluaisteán'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Áfach is the Irish for "however" and it's the best way to get away with swearing in a Gaelscoil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You also can't depict images of humans or animals in art or pictures. This is why Islamic art is dominated by (often very beautiful) geometric patterns.

When TV reached Saudi Arabia in the 60s, there was a theological debate as to whether showing people on TV was allowed under the Qo'ran -
    wikipedia wrote:
    For many years, Wahhabi clerics opposed the establishment of a television service in Saudi Arabia, as they believed it immoral to produce images of humans. The introduction of television in 1965 offended some Saudis, and one of King Faisal's nephews, Prince Khalid ibn Musa'id ibn 'Abd al-'Aziz, was killed in a police shootout in August 1965 after he led an assault on one of the new television stations.

Saudi Arabia really is an utterly bat**** country. (Not that that belongs on a thread entitled "I bet you didn't know that")

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Muslims can keep goldfishes. I just did some googling and apparently the prophet said "Angels don't visit houses where there are dogs". So any pet, except a dog is fine. Because apparently angels are allergic to dogs.

Unless the dog is a guard dog of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

'Gluaisteán' surely comes from 'gluas' or 'gluaiseacht' 'to move'. In primary school, we were taught 'carr' (maybe to help us little kids) but later on it was usually changed to 'gluaisteán'.

Gluais is the verb to advance , flow, movement of a person ... kinda like a dancer. Its beautiful.

I'm sure they're related alright.

A moverer... But it means motor (vehicle) now anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Grayson wrote: »
    Muslims can keep goldfishes. I just did some googling and apparently the prophet said "Angels don't visit houses where there are dogs". So any pet, except a dog is fine. Because apparently angels are allergic to dogs.

What if he's not a guard dog, but just a skinny little gay Chihuahua?
    An angel wouldn't be scared of him would he?
    Couple of piriton, be grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What if Gods angels are actually angelic dogs?

They'd be in a whole load of trouble then...

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

An escalator in Irish is a "staighre beo" - a living staircase.
    The word "cailín", meaning girl, is actually masculine in Irish. You don't become a "bean" (woman) until you've had a baby!
    Glúin means knee, but it also means generation (think of a child on the knee), so "from one generation to the next" is "ó ghlúin go glúin".
    Black pudding/white pudding are named more honestly in Irish - "potóg dubh/potóg bán", i.e black intestine or white intestine. Nomnomnom ...
    The term for jellyfish in Irish is "smugairle róin" - seal snotters.
    "Buddy" in English definitely comes from Irish - its best translation is probably mate/pal, but it's specifically for male friends, as it derives from the word for penis - bod. You'd often address a male friend as "a bhodaigh".
    Cíoch is the word for breast/bosom, while beart is the word for parcel or package. So the word for a bra is "cíochbheart" - a package of tits. :)

I'm not a linguist but I would definitely think that eitleán comes from eitilt. Especially as echelon is a French word.

Clog means bell, although to avoid confusing it with the (identical) word for clock people often say cloigín. However, cloigeann means head (or specifically, skull). I wonder whether that's got anything to do with a knock to the head being described as "getting your bell rung"? Dunno ... Anyway, to protect against that you might want to wear a clogad - helmet.
    The word breac on its own means a trout, but anything with the word breac included probably means that the thing is speckled (which trout are). So bairín breac is a loaf or cake speckled with raisins - barm brack.
    Tandragee in Co. Armagh comes from "tóin de rith gaoithe" - @rse to the wind. Ballyhackamore, now part of Belfast, comes from "Baile Chacamar" - this usually gets more politely translated, but actually means the town of/covered in sh1t.
    As in several other languages, the word for orchid is similar to/the same as the word for testicle.  In Irish it's "magairle".  An annoying person/situation can often be described as "pian sna magairlí", or ball ache.
    One word for stupid is "bómánta", so a stupid person is a "bómán". In the same way that addressing a friend (cara) becomes "a chara", to say "hey stupid" is "a bhómán".  Which in the Ulster dialect, sounds exactly like "a woman".  I enjoy reminding my wife of this occasionally.
    "Tine" is the word for fire and if something is "trí thine", it's on fire. However, this looks and sounds exactly like the term for "three fires". A word that rhymes with it is "sine", meaning nipple. So "dhá shine, trí thine" is a nice little play on words which when spoken can mean "two fires, on fire", "two fires, three fires" ... or my preferred option, "two nipples, on fire".  ( o Y o )
    Hopefully, "dhá shine trí shine" can lead to some "bualadh craicinn" - skin-slapping, aka sexy times. If you've no luck in that department, you may on the other hand end up "ag bualadh feola" - meat-beating.  To call someone a w@nker, therefore, you can say "buailteoir feola", or even just "buailteoir".

• Advertisement

mr chips wrote: »
    Clog means bell, although to avoid confusing it with the (identical) word for clock people often say cloigín. However, cloigeann means head (or specifically, skull). I wonder whether that's got anything to do with a knock to the head being described as "getting your bell rung"? Dunno ... Anyway, to protect against that you might want to wear a clogad - helmet.
    The word breac on its own means a trout, but anything with the word breac included probably means that the thing is speckled (which trout are). So bairín breac is a loaf or cake speckled with raisins - barm brack.
    Tandragee in Co. Armagh comes from "tóin de rith gaoithe" - @rse to the wind. Ballyhackamore, now part of Belfast, comes from "Baile Chacamar" - this usually gets more politely translated, but actually means the town of/covered in sh1t.
    As in several other languages, the word for orchid is similar to/the same as the word for testicle. In Irish it's "magairle". An annoying person/situation can often be described as "pian sna magairlí", or ball ache.
    One word for stupid is "bómánta", so a stupid person is a "bómán". In the same way that addressing a friend (cara) becomes "a chara", to say "hey stupid" is "a bhómán". Which in the Ulster dialect, sounds exactly like "a woman". I enjoy reminding my wife of this occasionally.
    "Tine" is the word for fire and if something is "trí thine", it's on fire.
    However, this looks and sounds exactly like the term for "three fires". A word
    that rhymes with it is "sine", meaning nipple. So "dhá shine, trí thine" is a
    nice little play on words which when spoken can mean "two fires, on fire", "two
    fires, three fires" ... or my preferred option, "two nipples, on fire". (
    o Y o )

You know what they say, níl aon tóin tinn mar do thóin tinn féin....
    Hopefully, "dhá shine trí shine" can lead to some "bualadh craicinn" -
    skin-slapping, aka sexy times. If you've no luck in that department, you may on
    the other hand end up "ag bualadh feola" - meat-beating. To call someone a
    w@nker, therefore, you can say "buailteoir feola", or even just "buailteoir".

Down South, feeling randy is: Tá fonn leathair orm. Literally: I want some leather.

That's a whole other kind of sexy time!

Looks like it, seems to be based around the idea of a rung or scale.
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/echelon

Sometimes I wonder about the mind set of the people who wrote this kind of stuff.
    You worship a god who created the entire universe; from the nebulae, black holes, raging waterfalls to humming bird wings and all the microscopic detail but somehow he gets upset by a dog or beard length or mixing fabrics of clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Apparently Bram Stoker got the word "Dracula" from the Irish words

Droch Fola meaning Bad Blood

It has its origin in the word for Dragon.
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/dracula

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Apparently Bram Stoker got the word "Dracula" from the Irish words

Droch Fola meaning Bad Blood

Per Bram Stoker's biographer
    a surname of Prince Vlad II of Wallachia (d.1476), and means in Romanian "son of Dracul," literally "the dragon," from the name and emblem taken by Vlad's father, also named Vlad, c. 1431 when he joined the Order of the Dragon, founded 1418 by Sigismund the Glorious of Hungary to defend the Christian religion from the Turks and crush heretics and schismatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Ipso wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder about the mind set of the people who wrote this kind of stuff.
    You worship a god who created the entire universe; from the nebulae, black holes, raging waterfalls to humming bird wings and all the microscopic detail but somehow he gets upset by a dog or beard length or mixing fabrics of clothing.

Most religions are full of crazy sh1te.

Yeah, I'd heard the "droch fhola" idea before but it's just another coincidence. However, it's fair to allow for the possibility that Bram Stoker was inspired by the story of Abhartach, supposedly a evil blood-drinking person/demon who lived near Garvagh in Co. Derry and for whom the village/townland of Slaghtaverty was named (Slacht Abhairtigh / Abhartach's sepulchre). There are plenty of local legends about his burial place and the bad things that happen to anyone who tries to disturb it, build on it or whatever. As it happens, my wife's mother was from the area, and I was told how a cousin of hers had wanted to clear part of the field for building on and how the digger broke down, then broke down again, then the replacement digger broke down, then something fell on yer man's leg and broke it, then he gave up.:D I'd say it's been well embellished in the telling, but sure it adds to the story! There's a couple of versions of it here -
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abhartach
    Further down the page are references to Bram Stoker.  So there ye go - the Dracula story comes from Ireland, not Transylvania!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

On Irish sex terms, the word "Buail" means either to meet or to hit. "D'bhuaileas leis" - I met him, but "D'bhuaileas air" = I hit him.

To have sex with someone is "craiceann a bualadh le duine éigin" - literally to meet skins with them, but I like the kind of implied pun of hitting skin with them too. And it adds new meaning to saying something or someone is "good craic".

Suitably poetically graphic. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement